• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:52
CEST 04:52
KST 11:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7851 users

Family Guy Vs. Futurama - Page 7

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next All
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
April 21 2007 06:28 GMT
#121
On April 21 2007 15:14 SigrUn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2007 13:25 Sosha wrote:
Futurama isn't bad either, but it's kinda bland and more of a Simpsons based in the future.


And Family Guy is exactly like The Simpsons.


WITH A TALKING DOG zomg
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Sadist
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States7328 Posts
April 21 2007 06:31 GMT
#122
both shows have their strongpoints and depending on the mood you are in each one could be good.

If i just want to laugh and not feel sad about anything I could just watch family guy and be alright, theres not going to be any "down" parts in the shows. Futurama is more of a complete show in the respect that it has ups and downs for the characters, like the simpsons had before. The Bleeding Gums Murphey episode where he dies comes to mind.

Anyway, to each his own iguess
How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal and you have to be willing to work for it. Jim Valvano
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8923 Posts
April 21 2007 15:52 GMT
#123
Are you kidding me? It's not even close.

Futurama is amazing, original, and always managed to stay fresh. Family Guy has been recycling the same brand of lame jokes that, while funny the first time, lost their lustre extremely quickly.

Futurama by a light year.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8923 Posts
April 21 2007 15:53 GMT
#124
And for what it's worth, if Family Guy was to win this poll I'd stop visiting TL.net completely. All faith would be lost and I'd burn down the internet.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8923 Posts
April 21 2007 16:04 GMT
#125
And for another post, I bet everyone who votes Family Guy is 9 years old and is like "HAR, HE SAID DICK ON TV!"

Family Guy is cheap, disposable humor. Futurama is genius. Two different worlds. All they have in common is that they're both cartoons. You can't compare a Jaguar and a Neon just because they're both cars.

I'M DONE NOW.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
SK.Testie
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada11084 Posts
April 21 2007 16:49 GMT
#126
(This isn't worth reading, but go ahead if you're bored and want to be even more bored)

Family Guy
Great or decent when you were younger, and can be outrageously funny at first. The humour it appeals to you grows really old and tiresome fast though and unlike great Simpsons episodes, you cannot re-watch them. (Simpsons re-runs are on all the time on various channels, because they were that good for so long before they started sucking. The first couple seasons blew though too).

The fact that a very large portion of the jokes is set up beforehand with, "remember that time" "like that time" "I hope this isn't going to be like". It used to work, but now they really are stuck on a formula and seem out of ideas so they put in awful songs that make you turn the channel until they're over because you think to yourself, "god this is gay". I don't know why this is, maybe they bit off more than they could chew by taking on American Dad as well. But even if they hadn't, Futurama would be better.

You just sit there expecting random stupidity afterwards and it's like the creators really aren't trying anymore despite being back on air. I enjoyed a lot of classics from it with Ollie Williams to things like, "to the peter copter!" "I get it Brian, you're lookin' for an ass race. First one to the kitchen wins!" or where Frosty the Snowman says, "ah ah take it off take it off!" when the kids put the burning hat back on him. It still has good moments, but they are few and far inbetween, and watching an episode is painful nowadays because half of it is killing time, the other half is jokes that fail. And whenever they have a song... it's just not good. You don't waste that long infront of the t.v. hoping there's 1 good moment in it.

The songs in it at first were pretty decent, like a couple of Brian and Stewey's with "You and I are, so awfully different" but the songs later on just got worse and worse as you could tell the writers ended up treating their audience like a bunch of fools. It's just bad television to have so many long running jokes (they're funny if you do them right in very spaced out sequences, not rely on them to kill time in an episode, and that's what it feels like). That type of humour can still be good, but needs to be used spaced out. The guy are just sitting in the board room saying, "why don't we just have them talk about something trivial for 2 minutes?" Some might see that as a joke on having all that air time and doing nothing with it to make it funny, but doing this repeatedly is just not trying.

Jokes about celebrities is one of the worst types of humour ever and the cheapest unfunniest shots possible. The Family Guy defense of Jay Leno may work for defending Jay Leno, as he really is out there 5 nights a week. It doesn't work for Family Guy that sometimes has more than 1 week between a show. Nor does making random references to the 80's doesn't qualify as a joke anymore, it's very expected. "Here's an old fart from the 80's playing a guitar and singing.. twice".

It has characters you really don't give a damn about either. Whether you're supposed to or not is irrelevent. Great characters make a show better.

Futurama beats it in every category. Futurama tells the kinds of jokes you really appreciate and can smile about in real life, much like The Daily Show in it's authentic cleverness that's above the norm. (That's not a proper analogy as The Daily Show goes for very low brow humour quite often, but it has true gems and when it puts on a great show that's well thought out, they are really awesome). It has all kinds of humour and excels in all of the ones they attempt.


Family guy is alright. Futurama is art.
Social Justice is a fools errand. May all the adherents at its church be thwarted. Of all the religions I have come across, it is by far the most detestable.
Liquid`Zephyr
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States996 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-04-21 16:59:48
April 21 2007 16:57 GMT
#127
On April 21 2007 04:43 Liquid`Drone wrote:
I used to think that family guy was funnier but futurama was better
I now think that futurama is a fucking shit-ton better, mostly because I've grown to realize just how godly of a show futurama is. there are some "bender is a robot" jokes that arent really funny, but those aren't the pearls of the show. the character building and storyline and punny references and incredible voice acting makes it stand out. bender, fry, zoidberg and the professor all have voices that are so incredibly superior to every family guy voice, where honestly, most of them annoy you at some level. (stewie was funny at first but then he just turned so.. gay. )

i think anyone who actually watches every futurama episode and not just 3-4 will realize how much superior it is, because unlike family guy, the best jokes require you to really comprehend the characters and their thought lines, whereas the funniest family guy jokes could have been well, not part of family guy and still equally funny.

not to mention that the storytelling in certain futurama episodes is awesome (like say, "The Sting".)
I also genuinely believe that anyone who watches the final episode of futurama (the devil's hands are idle playthings) after having seen most others, and without being a total idiot, will realize that that episode is the single greatest 23 minute period on tv, ever.
and then you have episodes like jurassic bark, that actually make you cry.

i was just waiting to quote you since your the second most futurama authority on this site
the thing about futurama is that you have to understand the characters for things to be funny and then even the smallest little things become hilarious. a lot of the better jokes are also based on earlier episodes. the seasons also get progressively better imo. quietidiot and grandinquesitor pretty much nailed it. contrary to most people, i think futurama is much funnier. i can only watch people run into inanimate objects so many times
-i still do like family guy though (the earlier seasons at least)

and the devils hands are idle play things rock so hard.
Team LiquidPoorUser
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12816 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-04-21 17:09:16
April 21 2007 16:59 GMT
#128

Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
Hollow
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Canada2180 Posts
April 21 2007 17:17 GMT
#129
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12816 Posts
April 21 2007 17:36 GMT
#130

FUCKING GENIUS!
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
[GiTM]-Ace
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4935 Posts
April 21 2007 18:03 GMT
#131
I dunno I have watched futurama episodes and not laughed at all. I dont think i ever watched a family guy without laughing. In the end it might just be a matter of opinion. I do like futurama a lot but i love family guy
I may not be the best player right now but I think I can beat any 'best' players. I'll beat all the best players and become the best player. Watch me. - Jju
Colbi
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States535 Posts
April 21 2007 19:15 GMT
#132
On April 22 2007 03:03 [GiTM]-Ace wrote:
I dunno I have watched futurama episodes and not laughed at all. I dont think i ever watched a family guy without laughing. In the end it might just be a matter of opinion. I do like futurama a lot but i love family guy

I completely agree. There have been futurama episodes where I didn't even laugh once. However, with Family Guy I can't think of an episode that I watched where I didn't laugh.
Editor-in-Chief for Team EG - http://www.twitter.com/LColbi
toadstool
Profile Joined May 2006
Australia421 Posts
April 21 2007 21:33 GMT
#133
"Fry: I have an idea.
Leela: I have a better one. "

Reading it is not funny, but the way Leela discards Fry's idea almost instantly is hilarious. Had coke streaming out of my nose.

[in the library, absorbing all of Earth's knowledge]
Chief Giant Brain: Pathetic human race. Arranging their knowledge by category just made it easier to absorb. Dewey, you fool! Your decimal system has played right into my hands! Ha ha ha ha!

Dewey system, they way they store books in libraries =D

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Above all else it is our responsibility to preserve the timeline.
[Fry walks in]
Fry: Well, I've killed my grandfather.
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Whaaaaaaaa?
Leela: Wait, if you killed your grandfather, why do you still exist?
Fry: I don't know. Maybe God loves me.
Bender: [Starts laughing maniacally]

That episode is the best, the best plotline I've ever seen for a catoon. Each Futurama episode feels like 40 mins long coz they fit so much stuff into it.

At the end of the day we're not gonna change each other's opinions about the other series, just hate on the other series more. Let's just let this thread be and remember the good times from each series and let the vote decide which series is better (Futurama =D).
NEWB?!
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
April 21 2007 23:32 GMT
#134
It depends on your taste. For me, Family Guy >> Futurama but I'd understand if someone else prefers Futurama... they are both awesome at times.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8923 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-04-22 00:42:55
April 22 2007 00:38 GMT
#135
If taste was a prerequisite for a TL.net account, Family Guy would not have received a vote. The show is Dumb, simple as that. You guys are the reason they keep making Scary Movie sequels.

And posting clips means nothing - that's Family Guy's game. Cheap laughs that don't require context or character. The fact you can post a Family Guy clip and someone who has never seen the show can appreciate it just as much shows how idiotic the whole thing is.

The funniest show in recent times was Arrested Development, but it died because it required a dedication and knowledge of the characters and previous jokes to really enjoy the show. Your 3 second attention spans killed it.

As they killed Futurama.

You fucks.

edit: The first few times I saw Futurama, I saw it as passably decent. But once I had seen enough to really know the characters, the show opened up and I was able to appreciate it for how brilliant it really is. I'm guessing anyone voting Family Guy simply hasn't made that step yet.

Or has no taste (see first sentence in post).
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
LemOn
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United Kingdom8629 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-04-22 00:58:00
April 22 2007 00:56 GMT
#136
On April 22 2007 03:03 [GiTM]-Ace wrote:
I dunno I have watched futurama episodes and not laughed at all. I dont think i ever watched a family guy without laughing. In the end it might just be a matter of opinion. I do like futurama a lot but i love family guy



Interesting thing about Futurama:

It really is targeted as a connected story throughout all episodes. There are many many moments where they refer to something what happened many episodes ago and if you haven't seen those episodes you will not laugh and get the joke.

I am hardcore fan of futurama, I have seen Every single part at least four times and I have also seen them in chronological order from serie 1-5, not missing even a single part ( I didn't catch it on TV because it was not broadcasted but I had dvd's with complete series).
And you will get how incredibely it is connected and how every character has its own history that you have to know to enjoy the show. Sure the authors try to explain them again but they don't do it as much as the newcomer would need because the usual watchers would be bored of stating obvious facts.

This is the reason why when I have shown my friends one episode from series 4 they laughed maybe once in entire 24 minutes while I was rolling on the floor laughing many times.

I tried to imagine that I have not seen the episodes before and hah.... I wouldn't get so many jokes that I would be bored. I think this is also the reason why Futurama was cancelled. Simpsons and especially Family guy are more catchy without the need of knowing the character of the characters (eh wtf) and what happened before in the series (For example 1st episode is vital to see, as well as to know that Leela was Boned by Zap).

Futurama is much more one piece, one getting to another through all the history, like fry's dumbness story (Have you all noticed the shadow of nibbler in episode one before Fry falls into the freezer ? ) and with further episodes the lack of knowing the ones before will afect the funny part more and more, unlike Family guy.

And this is what we people who enjoy Futurama like so much!



EDIT: Whoops I see that flaccid wrote very simmilar thing, now I hope you get the point really -,-
Much is the father figure that I miss in my life. Go Daddy! DoC.LemOn, LemOn[5thF]
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8923 Posts
April 22 2007 01:21 GMT
#137
And it's a quantum finish!

"No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!"

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
GrandInquisitor *
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
New York City13113 Posts
April 22 2007 01:23 GMT
#138
Fry: You guys might be losers, but I just made out with that radiator chick from that radiator planet.

Leela: Fry, that's a radiator

Fry: Oh.

Fry: Is there a burn ward within 5 feet of here?
What fun is it being cool if you can’t wear a sombrero?
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8923 Posts
April 22 2007 01:40 GMT
#139
"And Fry, you've got that brain thing"

"I already did!"

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
DTDominion
Profile Joined November 2005
United States2148 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-04-22 02:43:42
April 22 2007 02:40 GMT
#140
If you wanna compare all of Futurama to all of Family Guy, then Futurama easily wins because it got better from season to season whereas Family Guy went downhill after it came back, and stunningly so.

I think though that if you compare the first three seasons of Family Guy to all of Futurama it's not a total blowout for either side. Futurama has better characters, more clever jokes, better animation, better story telling, etc., but Family Guy was able to take its simplistic characters and situations and use them as a springboard for jokes about pretty much anything. If you want to ask which show is "better," I think ultimately Futurama would win. But the first three seasons of Family Guy delivered on the funny in a big way. Despite it's flaws I wouldn't shit all over it because it's cool.

Ultimately I voted for Futurama. I think once you get into it it's the funnier show, and it delivers on more levels than Family Guy. My season 2 DVD will arrive in a matter of days, thus completing my collection. w00t!
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 130
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1953
GuemChi 1486
Artosis 660
910 80
ajuk12(nOOB) 21
Bale 20
Terrorterran 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm190
febbydoto19
Counter-Strike
taco 585
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox530
Other Games
summit1g8096
Doublelift1925
JimRising 590
C9.Mang0362
Day[9].tv323
PiGStarcraft248
Maynarde114
WinterStarcraft46
CosmosSc2 18
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1015
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 102
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv323
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 8m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
8h 8m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
21h 8m
Patches Events
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.