• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:29
CEST 15:29
KST 22:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War65.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202620Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9954 users

The Chess Thread - Page 3

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 129 130 131 Next
wingpawn
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Poland1342 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-14 19:35:47
December 14 2013 19:34 GMT
#41
What the fuck, lol? Mod changed the time stamp on my OP so now it's the most recent post that I made? Hahaha.

EDIT: Oh, I guess that's you, Plexa.
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
December 14 2013 19:35 GMT
#42
Yeah I wanted to make the OP not an old post. Going to try this thread in general for a bit.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
December 14 2013 21:37 GMT
#43
Tie-breaks are quite entertaining, but i feel sad for Svidler : (
mihajovics
Profile Joined April 2011
179 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-14 21:50:54
December 14 2013 21:44 GMT
#44
Chessbase is not considered a reliable source at all! It's a publishing company with a "pick and chose, advertise our own stuff" kind of news coverage. On many occasions they have been extremely biased.
Chessvibes is universally acclaimed as the best, most neutral news portal for chess.
I think you could give computer chess some love as well, I'd be happy to PM you tons of links, facts, etc. if you wish to include it in the OP.

EDIT: oh, I forgot to mention 2 awesome sites with tons of chess puzzles:
http://chess.emrald.net/
http://chesstempo.com/

EDIT2: sry, but you just have to mention one of the worlds strongest chess programs (basically equal with the strongest), absolutely free and open source! the amazing Stockfish
Silvanel
Profile Blog Joined March 2003
Poland4769 Posts
December 14 2013 22:14 GMT
#45
Steinitz - von Bardeleben, Hastings 1985 was played in 1895, You mixed the numbers. Otherwise great OP.
Pathetic Greta hater.
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
December 15 2013 02:14 GMT
#46
On December 15 2013 06:44 mihajovics wrote:
Chessbase is not considered a reliable source at all! It's a publishing company with a "pick and chose, advertise our own stuff" kind of news coverage. On many occasions they have been extremely biased.
Chessvibes is universally acclaimed as the best, most neutral news portal for chess.
I think you could give computer chess some love as well, I'd be happy to PM you tons of links, facts, etc. if you wish to include it in the OP.

EDIT: oh, I forgot to mention 2 awesome sites with tons of chess puzzles:
http://chess.emrald.net/
http://chesstempo.com/

EDIT2: sry, but you just have to mention one of the worlds strongest chess programs (basically equal with the strongest), absolutely free and open source! the amazing Stockfish


Universally acclaimed as the best news portal for chess? I've never even heard of it.
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
mihajovics
Profile Joined April 2011
179 Posts
December 15 2013 10:44 GMT
#47
On December 15 2013 11:14 GolemMadness wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 15 2013 06:44 mihajovics wrote:
Chessbase is not considered a reliable source at all! It's a publishing company with a "pick and chose, advertise our own stuff" kind of news coverage. On many occasions they have been extremely biased.
Chessvibes is universally acclaimed as the best, most neutral news portal for chess.
I think you could give computer chess some love as well, I'd be happy to PM you tons of links, facts, etc. if you wish to include it in the OP.

EDIT: oh, I forgot to mention 2 awesome sites with tons of chess puzzles:
http://chess.emrald.net/
http://chesstempo.com/

EDIT2: sry, but you just have to mention one of the worlds strongest chess programs (basically equal with the strongest), absolutely free and open source! the amazing Stockfish


Universally acclaimed as the best news portal for chess? I've never even heard of it.


maybe you still live in the 90s with Kasparov being on top and Fritz being the best engine?
idscy
Profile Joined June 2011
United States256 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-15 11:00:25
December 15 2013 10:45 GMT
#48
On December 15 2013 11:14 GolemMadness wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 15 2013 06:44 mihajovics wrote:
Chessbase is not considered a reliable source at all! It's a publishing company with a "pick and chose, advertise our own stuff" kind of news coverage. On many occasions they have been extremely biased.
Chessvibes is universally acclaimed as the best, most neutral news portal for chess.
I think you could give computer chess some love as well, I'd be happy to PM you tons of links, facts, etc. if you wish to include it in the OP.

EDIT: oh, I forgot to mention 2 awesome sites with tons of chess puzzles:
http://chess.emrald.net/
http://chesstempo.com/

EDIT2: sry, but you just have to mention one of the worlds strongest chess programs (basically equal with the strongest), absolutely free and open source! the amazing Stockfish


Universally acclaimed as the best news portal for chess? I've never even heard of it.



It is very good

I should mention that a top RU grandmaster, Ian Nepomniachtchi is known to play dota (2) quite often. He goes by either something like Frozen or Nova (I forget which) and is friends with PGG.

He is currently rank 29 on the FIDE top 100 list (by rating--- this implies something equivalent to "he is the 29th best player in the world;" his ELO at time of this post is 2721 which is easily superGM level.

It would appear that he has a lifetime 1-1 record (with 3 draws) against Carlsen as well, showcasing this game
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
December 15 2013 11:29 GMT
#49
Don't forget Komodo, the current Engine World Champion:
http://komodochess.com/

Also, Arena is the best free alternative to Fritz:
http://www.playwitharena.com/
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
December 15 2013 11:34 GMT
#50
On December 15 2013 19:44 mihajovics wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 15 2013 11:14 GolemMadness wrote:
On December 15 2013 06:44 mihajovics wrote:
Chessbase is not considered a reliable source at all! It's a publishing company with a "pick and chose, advertise our own stuff" kind of news coverage. On many occasions they have been extremely biased.
Chessvibes is universally acclaimed as the best, most neutral news portal for chess.
I think you could give computer chess some love as well, I'd be happy to PM you tons of links, facts, etc. if you wish to include it in the OP.

EDIT: oh, I forgot to mention 2 awesome sites with tons of chess puzzles:
http://chess.emrald.net/
http://chesstempo.com/

EDIT2: sry, but you just have to mention one of the worlds strongest chess programs (basically equal with the strongest), absolutely free and open source! the amazing Stockfish


Universally acclaimed as the best news portal for chess? I've never even heard of it.


maybe you still live in the 90s with Kasparov being on top and Fritz being the best engine?


I am still using Chessbase 7. :D
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
Monocle
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-15 15:50:11
December 15 2013 15:46 GMT
#51
Baller play by Nakamura against Kramnik, wow.

Nakamura vs. Gelfand finals
TheBB
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Switzerland5133 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-15 16:20:12
December 15 2013 16:19 GMT
#52
I think Stockfish deserves a mention under programs, if only just because all the other ones are proprietary and platform dependent. It's pretty much the only serious engine I can run on my system. Also, please link to English Wikipedia and not Polish.

Other than that, great OP.
http://aligulac.com || Barcraft Switzerland! || Zerg best race. || Stats-poster extraordinaire.
idscy
Profile Joined June 2011
United States256 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-15 16:30:33
December 15 2013 16:28 GMT
#53
Also I have to say, the "epic games part of the first post of this thread is lacking HEAVILY on the biggest most epic games ever, ever.

I will update this post later with a bunch of games and links, as I dont have time to do it now (going out to lunch :D).

Off the top of my head:

Kasparov's immortal
Fischer's immortal
kasparov vs deep blue (kramnik vs computer match---blunder of the century as well)
a bunch of marshall vs capablanca games

at least take a look at this page, it should have some info (quick google)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chess_games

edit:
also the entire kasparov vs karpov (lots here, theres a Ruy that was quite sharp in which karpov got mated, etc)
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-15 17:24:23
December 15 2013 16:31 GMT
#54
If you are looking for a free GUI, i'd recommend ChessX over Arena any day.(If you are looking for Fritz, Gamersgate recently had it in store for 10$) I think it's a lot more polished and the database handling is a little more comfortable. If you run it on a Linux system you'll need to compile it yourself from source, though.

Edit: And dat blunder from Kramnik : (
TheBB
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Switzerland5133 Posts
December 15 2013 16:41 GMT
#55
Kasparov's and Fischer's immortal games are there already, unless you have a non-standard definition of those, in which case you should at least give opponent and year. (Yes, I know you didn't have time.)

Missing are of course the immortal game (Anderssen–Kieseritsky) and the evergreen game (Anderssen–Dufresne), and I guess we also have to mention Morphy–Duke Karl, Count Isouard from the romantic era.

I also like to mention Botvinnik–Smyslov, game 14 from their 1954 match, and Polugaevsky–Nezhmetdinov (1958). Also Petrosian–Spassky, game 10 from their WC match is nice.
http://aligulac.com || Barcraft Switzerland! || Zerg best race. || Stats-poster extraordinaire.
JazVM
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1196 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-15 20:30:18
December 15 2013 20:29 GMT
#56
The guy in the purple jacket was overexaggerating every move to such an extend, that I though of muting the stream. It's a shame that Trent wasn't commentating the final game. I really like him. Also Svidler was excellent. When they brought in the sad-looking english GM as a replacement for Svidler, I thought it would suck, but instead he did quite a good job. Even though he always sounds like he has a cold, his commentary was laid-back and thought out. Quite the contrary of the little purple bird in the middle.
mind mind mind mind mind mind
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
December 15 2013 20:41 GMT
#57
Trent is really cool and Svidler is awesome, he's a really outspoken guy. I also thought the guy in the purple jacket was pretty hilarious. Overall a really good commentary team. The final games were really nice. I was glad that Naka played a sharp game although he was a game up. Really nice event overall.
imBLIND
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2626 Posts
December 15 2013 23:12 GMT
#58
Can anyone recommend some sharp openings for me? I currently play Alekhines Defense, Goring gambit, Dutch gambit, Budapest gambit, Kings Gambit, Benoni/Benko gambit, but I basically stick with 1 or 2 responses for d4 and e4 openings. Is there anything for any indian openings or g3/b3 openings?
im deaf
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-15 23:33:39
December 15 2013 23:31 GMT
#59
All the openings you listed are practically okay, but aren't especially sound. I'm going to list some of the more mainstream aggressive openings:

Against 1.d4 The Kings Indian Defense is very sharp but also really double edged, but very sound and played by a lot of GM's(so is the Grünfeld, but it's very very theory heavy).Also the Nimzo is really dynamic and you will often play b6 and fianchetto on the Queenside.
Against 1.e4 all the open sicilians are very sharp.If you like fianchettoes you can play the Dragon. It's employed at a club level frequently. The Najdorf is most commonly used at the highest level, both score really good for black. As white you can go for Catalan set-ups if you're a d4 player, or for the Scotch and open Sicilians if you're an e4 player.
imBLIND
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States2626 Posts
December 16 2013 07:54 GMT
#60
Lol sry, I meant are there any sharp openings for when black or white when either side opt for an indian attack or some g3/b3/ openings, not for sharp openings that start with nf3/nc3 or g3/b3. Basically, how would you transposition an indian attack into something sharp?

And the only reason i really like sharp lines is cause I play a bunch of blitz chess and I really like setting up traps for easy points >.>
im deaf
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 129 130 131 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
LamboSC2 411
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 34889
Calm 7316
Rain 1900
Bisu 1764
Jaedong 1131
Horang2 672
FanTaSy 646
BeSt 531
Larva 435
Soma 420
[ Show more ]
Light 355
Rush 293
Stork 255
ZerO 236
Snow 215
Zeus 171
Barracks 134
Free 125
Mind 99
910 95
Mong 70
Killer 67
Pusan 47
Hyun 47
Sea.KH 45
ToSsGirL 41
NaDa 40
Shinee 36
Aegong 21
Terrorterran 18
Sexy 16
Hm[arnc] 15
sorry 13
Noble 10
Rock 9
Sacsri 8
Icarus 3
Dota 2
Gorgc8128
XaKoH 218
Counter-Strike
fl0m3162
olofmeister847
Other Games
gofns30870
singsing2155
B2W.Neo867
hiko375
Lowko321
crisheroes293
Mlord159
Hui .119
RotterdaM101
Livibee92
Mew2King86
djWHEAT72
QueenE35
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3650
• Jankos2447
• TFBlade684
Other Games
• WagamamaTV200
Upcoming Events
OSC
9h 31m
Big Brain Bouts
20h 31m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 3h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 5h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 20h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.