• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:06
CEST 15:06
KST 22:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11774 users

UK Politics Mega-thread - Page 512

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 510 511 512 513 514 648 Next
In order to ensure that this thread meets TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we ask that everyone please adhere to this mod note.

Posts containing only Tweets or articles adds nothing to the discussions. Therefore, when providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments will be actioned upon.

All in all, please continue to enjoy posting in TL General and partake in discussions as much as you want! But please be respectful when posting or replying to someone. There is a clear difference between constructive criticism/discussion and just plain being rude and insulting.

https://www.registertovote.service.gov.uk
Zaros
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom3692 Posts
April 01 2019 22:22 GMT
#10221
On April 02 2019 07:18 Velr wrote:
I will just quote that one random drunk guy i met in dublin 5 years ago:

"Burn everything British except their coal".

Just get out, and suffer. Seriously, my country isn't even in the EU and there are actually important matters to take care of for the EU. You voted these guys in, eat it. Just fuck off.


If only our MPs would let us...
m4ini
Profile Joined February 2014
4215 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-01 22:28:04
April 01 2019 22:24 GMT
#10222
On April 02 2019 07:14 Zaros wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 06:57 m4ini wrote:
On April 02 2019 06:50 Zaros wrote:
They are all fighting for what they believe in, the main problem is lack of leadership creating this massive vacuum for people like Mogg, Baker, Boles, Benn, Cooper etc. If we had a functioning PM or leader of the opposition who didnt come from the 1970s then this wouldn't be happening, can blame Letwin too and his stupid fixed term parliaments act without which we would have had a new parliament by now which could probably agree on something (just.)


That doesn't matter. They're supposed to be fighting what's best for the country, i don't give a shit what someone like Mogg is fighting for/believing in (and i certainly haven't forgotten his background or the books his father has written).

And no, the main problem is that the UK is utterly incapable or governing itself if there's no vast majority to push shit through. The second people are expected to work together, something that dozens of other countries do on a daily basis and is absolutely not a unique situation, everything falls apart.

Why? Because everyone thinks that his opinion is the hot shit instead of understanding that his "view" or "belief" doesn't mean jack shit if they can't get it passed.

I don't disagree on Corbyn, he's worthless and indeed a hindrance to Labour, even though he's for some undefinable reason assumed to be the second coming or something.

It's not "lack of leadership" (well, to be fair, that's true too, but wouldn't matter) preventing progress, it's precisely what you described. No politician currently hushed about as next PM would've done a better job in these circumstances. You don't have a majority, so you need to unite the house behind you, at least the majority of it. This isn't happening. Both Labour and Tories "fight for what they believe for" instead of indeed finding a compromise. It's ridiculous. And on top of that, the Tories are split in like seventytwelve fringe groups, everyone pushing for something else.

Many MPs seem to have forgotten that the first and most severe duty of his is to advance and protect the country (and by extention it's unity, since that's threatened too). Not "getting" what they want.

edit: Nick Boles is gonna sit as an Independent Progressive Conservative. Something i indeed would myself describe as, coming to think of it.


You seem not to understand that they believe they are doing what is right for the country they just think that is a different thing to everyone else. ERG think No deal is right for the country and if they can't get that then most of them voted for May's Deal but they wont go for anything else not when May's deal is coming back a 4th time.


That's a pretty big claim for someone who looked at a tweet and suggested the EU is throwing Ireland under the bus. I absolutely understand what many (not all, but many) are doing. ERG doesn't think "No Deal" is the best thing for the country, it's the best thing for Tories (in their view). No Deal is proven beyond doubt to be a shitshow for "the average joe", with drawbacks vastly outweighing the upsides. If they indeed look at the evidence and still claim that this would be the best outcome for the country especially while looking at the border issue in Ireland and the fact that Scotlands vast majority feels european, i mean, yeah. I guess they're disciplined then. Biggest idiots to ever sit in parliament, but "principled". Apart from the obvious business interests of Mogg for example, who made millions on Brexit already, and ironically has a father who wrote a book on how to make money in a country where political chaos is ruling. But sure. He's principled.


Most conservatives agree with the ERG but the other way round Mays Deal first but then No deal, 30 or 40 want a softer brexit, and you have the awkward squad of less than 10 that want to cancel brexit. If you think No Deal is the best outcome for the country then you don't need a majority, you need to stop there being a majority for anything else or convince the PM to prorogue parliament until the 12th/13th April.


And rip the country apart in the process. I don't understand how this is so hard to understand. Hell, the DUP would rather stay in the EU than having any of it.

Now you're in the situation of arguing that the views and problems of two countries that form part of the UK simply don't matter, and that Scotland as well as Ireland just go "well, guess back to daily business then".

You do understand that there's still years to come where you have to interact with these two countries, and indeed the EU too? I mean, it might look reasonable or "principled" to you to burn every bridge you have, especially considering that the UK really has jack shit to show for after "negotiating" for almost three years, but that's not reality, and that's not how the rest of the world is going to see this.

If only our MPs would let us...


Thank god some of them a smarter than others.
On track to MA1950A.
pmh
Profile Joined March 2016
1416 Posts
April 01 2019 22:50 GMT
#10223
May is going to put up her deal for vote as often as needed till it passes.
kollin
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom8380 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-01 23:14:07
April 01 2019 23:11 GMT
#10224
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
April 01 2019 23:15 GMT
#10225
On April 02 2019 08:11 kollin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 06:39 Zaros wrote:
Looked petulant to me but I guess im a brexiteer so I would see it that way. I like Nick I agree with him on a lot of issues and he is a very good MP but hes got it wrong on Brexit.

Apparantly 200 conservative MPs have signed a letter to the PM asking her to push through a managed no deal, Cabinet meets tomorrow to discuss this and I expect she might go for it.

'Managed no deal' is chimeric - 200 MPs is all the government will be able to rally behind such a plan, and I suspect the non-lunatic Tories would vote to bring the government down rather than support no deal. The three paths the country still has are: May's deal (almost certainly not going to pass) or an election or a referendum. Election is the option that I think is likeliest out of these, but I think there's also a surprising appetite for a referendum from the Tories because they are woefully unprepared for an election and would get eviscerated.
And how do option 2 and 3 work in relation to the 11 days the UK has until Brexit?

It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
kollin
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom8380 Posts
April 02 2019 00:01 GMT
#10226
On April 02 2019 08:15 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 08:11 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 06:39 Zaros wrote:
Looked petulant to me but I guess im a brexiteer so I would see it that way. I like Nick I agree with him on a lot of issues and he is a very good MP but hes got it wrong on Brexit.

Apparantly 200 conservative MPs have signed a letter to the PM asking her to push through a managed no deal, Cabinet meets tomorrow to discuss this and I expect she might go for it.

'Managed no deal' is chimeric - 200 MPs is all the government will be able to rally behind such a plan, and I suspect the non-lunatic Tories would vote to bring the government down rather than support no deal. The three paths the country still has are: May's deal (almost certainly not going to pass) or an election or a referendum. Election is the option that I think is likeliest out of these, but I think there's also a surprising appetite for a referendum from the Tories because they are woefully unprepared for an election and would get eviscerated.
And how do option 2 and 3 work in relation to the 11 days the UK has until Brexit?


I edited my post out because I don’t think it grasped reality very solidly at all (it didn’t include the potential for more indicative votes on Wednesday for example), but what I’d reply to that is I think the EU would accommodate as much as reasonably is possible the UK trying to come to a positive political solution to the current crisis (I.e stumping FOR something), and both an election and a referendum are in my view the only way in which that solution will come about.
Artisreal
Profile Joined June 2009
Germany9235 Posts
April 02 2019 05:59 GMT
#10227
We just need a strong leader?
I tell you, we tried that a couple of times. Doesn't work in the long run
passive quaranstream fan
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
April 02 2019 06:03 GMT
#10228
On April 02 2019 14:59 Artisreal wrote:
We just need a strong leader?
I tell you, we tried that a couple of times. Doesn't work in the long run


But if the Queen takes back control...

Just for a year or so...
Mafe
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany5966 Posts
April 02 2019 06:10 GMT
#10229
Random question from someone who doesnt have time to read everything Brexit-related:
There are several votes about (more or less) the same proposal despite it being rejected every time. But May and others keep bringing them forward again and again in hope that, next time, they will be accepted.
But is there any reason why this could not be done the other way around? So if one of the proposals would be accepted, is there any reason why they should stop having votes? I mean, what would prevent the opponents of said proposal from putting it up for vote again?
korrekt
Profile Joined March 2011
76 Posts
April 02 2019 07:43 GMT
#10230
On April 02 2019 09:01 kollin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 08:15 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:11 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 06:39 Zaros wrote:
Looked petulant to me but I guess im a brexiteer so I would see it that way. I like Nick I agree with him on a lot of issues and he is a very good MP but hes got it wrong on Brexit.

Apparantly 200 conservative MPs have signed a letter to the PM asking her to push through a managed no deal, Cabinet meets tomorrow to discuss this and I expect she might go for it.

'Managed no deal' is chimeric - 200 MPs is all the government will be able to rally behind such a plan, and I suspect the non-lunatic Tories would vote to bring the government down rather than support no deal. The three paths the country still has are: May's deal (almost certainly not going to pass) or an election or a referendum. Election is the option that I think is likeliest out of these, but I think there's also a surprising appetite for a referendum from the Tories because they are woefully unprepared for an election and would get eviscerated.
And how do option 2 and 3 work in relation to the 11 days the UK has until Brexit?


I edited my post out because I don’t think it grasped reality very solidly at all (it didn’t include the potential for more indicative votes on Wednesday for example), but what I’d reply to that is I think the EU would accommodate as much as reasonably is possible the UK trying to come to a positive political solution to the current crisis (I.e stumping FOR something), and both an election and a referendum are in my view the only way in which that solution will come about.

I agree that another referendum, with valid options and a clear path to a solution (i.e. clear rules on how to proceed afterwards), might be a way to solve this problem. I don't see how another election is remotely helpful in this situation. All it will do is stall the process for months and then there will be a new house that can start over again. The UK would be wise not to push for a new election and the EU would be wise to not accept one as reason for a brexit delay.
Longshank
Profile Joined March 2010
1648 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-02 08:02:18
April 02 2019 07:59 GMT
#10231
On April 02 2019 15:10 Mafe wrote:
Random question from someone who doesnt have time to read everything Brexit-related:
There are several votes about (more or less) the same proposal despite it being rejected every time. But May and others keep bringing them forward again and again in hope that, next time, they will be accepted.
But is there any reason why this could not be done the other way around? So if one of the proposals would be accepted, is there any reason why they should stop having votes? I mean, what would prevent the opponents of said proposal from putting it up for vote again?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but May can, by being in control of the order paper as the government ordinarily is, in theory bring her deal up for votes as many times she likes. The speaker has however ruled that she's not allowed the bring the same deal back multiple times unless the deal has changed. That's why last time she cut the political declaration from the vote. If she is to bring it back again she will have to come up with some substantial change to either the deal(will not happen) or the context. She will have to be creative to do that.

The other options voted on are part of a process that needs a majority in parliament to happen. If May's deal would get a majority, the process with indicative votes would not.
Geo.Rion
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
7377 Posts
April 02 2019 08:14 GMT
#10232
On April 02 2019 16:59 Longshank wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 15:10 Mafe wrote:
Random question from someone who doesnt have time to read everything Brexit-related:
There are several votes about (more or less) the same proposal despite it being rejected every time. But May and others keep bringing them forward again and again in hope that, next time, they will be accepted.
But is there any reason why this could not be done the other way around? So if one of the proposals would be accepted, is there any reason why they should stop having votes? I mean, what would prevent the opponents of said proposal from putting it up for vote again?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but May can, by being in control of the order paper as the government ordinarily is, in theory bring her deal up for votes as many times she likes. The speaker has however ruled that she's not allowed the bring the same deal back multiple times unless the deal has changed. That's why last time she cut the political declaration from the vote. If she is to bring it back again she will have to come up with some substantial change to either the deal(will not happen) or the context. She will have to be creative to do that.

The other options voted on are part of a process that needs a majority in parliament to happen. If May's deal would get a majority, the process with indicative votes would not.

That's pretty much correct, legally she's not forbidden to try to bring back the vote, but there's a guide-book sort of thing, which is nicknamed "May's law" (not Theresa May, but a 19th century guy, Erskine May, and it's not a law but a set of practices) so the speaker can (and did) refuse to have a new vote on the same thing.
I think this explains way better than i could>

The channel in general is the absolute best source for brexit updates imo, just skip the plug at the beginning/end of the videos, and you could catch up on brexit in 2-3 hours, if you're interested.

If she would have passed it the first or second time around, the opposition couldn't have brought it back a 3rd "meaningful vote". I'm not entirely sure what would have happened if this 3rd vote would have passed, since it wasnt a "meaningful vote" iirc.

"Protoss is a joke" Liquid`Jinro Okt.1. 2011
Longshank
Profile Joined March 2010
1648 Posts
April 02 2019 08:28 GMT
#10233
On April 02 2019 17:14 Geo.Rion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 16:59 Longshank wrote:
On April 02 2019 15:10 Mafe wrote:
Random question from someone who doesnt have time to read everything Brexit-related:
There are several votes about (more or less) the same proposal despite it being rejected every time. But May and others keep bringing them forward again and again in hope that, next time, they will be accepted.
But is there any reason why this could not be done the other way around? So if one of the proposals would be accepted, is there any reason why they should stop having votes? I mean, what would prevent the opponents of said proposal from putting it up for vote again?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but May can, by being in control of the order paper as the government ordinarily is, in theory bring her deal up for votes as many times she likes. The speaker has however ruled that she's not allowed the bring the same deal back multiple times unless the deal has changed. That's why last time she cut the political declaration from the vote. If she is to bring it back again she will have to come up with some substantial change to either the deal(will not happen) or the context. She will have to be creative to do that.

The other options voted on are part of a process that needs a majority in parliament to happen. If May's deal would get a majority, the process with indicative votes would not.


If she would have passed it the first or second time around, the opposition couldn't have brought it back a 3rd "meaningful vote". I'm not entirely sure what would have happened if this 3rd vote would have passed, since it wasnt a "meaningful vote" iirc.


My understanding is that it would have given the UK to 22nd May to agree with itself on the political declaration in order to ratify the deal. If they weren't able to do that, the UK would leave with no deal(or revocation). Any option needing a longer extension would no longer be available since the UK didn't partake in the European elections.
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7420 Posts
April 02 2019 09:33 GMT
#10234
On April 02 2019 16:43 korrekt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 09:01 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:15 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:11 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 06:39 Zaros wrote:
Looked petulant to me but I guess im a brexiteer so I would see it that way. I like Nick I agree with him on a lot of issues and he is a very good MP but hes got it wrong on Brexit.

Apparantly 200 conservative MPs have signed a letter to the PM asking her to push through a managed no deal, Cabinet meets tomorrow to discuss this and I expect she might go for it.

'Managed no deal' is chimeric - 200 MPs is all the government will be able to rally behind such a plan, and I suspect the non-lunatic Tories would vote to bring the government down rather than support no deal. The three paths the country still has are: May's deal (almost certainly not going to pass) or an election or a referendum. Election is the option that I think is likeliest out of these, but I think there's also a surprising appetite for a referendum from the Tories because they are woefully unprepared for an election and would get eviscerated.
And how do option 2 and 3 work in relation to the 11 days the UK has until Brexit?


I edited my post out because I don’t think it grasped reality very solidly at all (it didn’t include the potential for more indicative votes on Wednesday for example), but what I’d reply to that is I think the EU would accommodate as much as reasonably is possible the UK trying to come to a positive political solution to the current crisis (I.e stumping FOR something), and both an election and a referendum are in my view the only way in which that solution will come about.

I agree that another referendum, with valid options and a clear path to a solution (i.e. clear rules on how to proceed afterwards), might be a way to solve this problem. I don't see how another election is remotely helpful in this situation. All it will do is stall the process for months and then there will be a new house that can start over again. The UK would be wise not to push for a new election and the EU would be wise to not accept one as reason for a brexit delay.


If another referendum would happen and it would go sth like this

1. Brexit, this deal
2. Brexit, that deal
3. Brexit, no deal
4. No Brexit

I'm pretty sure 4. would win this handily. Since the votes are so split on "Yes Brexit". Might be a problem
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
kollin
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom8380 Posts
April 02 2019 09:40 GMT
#10235
On April 02 2019 16:43 korrekt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 09:01 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:15 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:11 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 06:39 Zaros wrote:
Looked petulant to me but I guess im a brexiteer so I would see it that way. I like Nick I agree with him on a lot of issues and he is a very good MP but hes got it wrong on Brexit.

Apparantly 200 conservative MPs have signed a letter to the PM asking her to push through a managed no deal, Cabinet meets tomorrow to discuss this and I expect she might go for it.

'Managed no deal' is chimeric - 200 MPs is all the government will be able to rally behind such a plan, and I suspect the non-lunatic Tories would vote to bring the government down rather than support no deal. The three paths the country still has are: May's deal (almost certainly not going to pass) or an election or a referendum. Election is the option that I think is likeliest out of these, but I think there's also a surprising appetite for a referendum from the Tories because they are woefully unprepared for an election and would get eviscerated.
And how do option 2 and 3 work in relation to the 11 days the UK has until

I edited my post out because I don’t think it grasped reality very solidly at all (it didn’t include the potential for more indicative votes on Wednesday for example), but what I’d reply to that is I think the EU would accommodate as much as reasonably is possible the UK trying to come to a positive political solution to the current crisis (I.e stumping FOR something), and both an election and a referendum are in my view the only way in which that solution will come about.

I agree that another referendum, with valid options and a clear path to a solution (i.e. clear rules on how to proceed afterwards), might be a way to solve this problem. I don't see how another election is remotely helpful in this situation. All it will do is stall the process for months and then there will be a new house that can start over again. The UK would be wise not to push for a new election and the EU would be wise to not accept one as reason for a brexit delay.

There are so few votes in each vote another election could easily end up in a majority for e.g customs union. Also it would solve the difficulty in what mandate the government as well as the opposition actually has with regards to whether implementing a custom union is legitimate etc.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18449 Posts
April 02 2019 10:03 GMT
#10236
On April 02 2019 18:40 kollin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 16:43 korrekt wrote:
On April 02 2019 09:01 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:15 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:11 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 06:39 Zaros wrote:
Looked petulant to me but I guess im a brexiteer so I would see it that way. I like Nick I agree with him on a lot of issues and he is a very good MP but hes got it wrong on Brexit.

Apparantly 200 conservative MPs have signed a letter to the PM asking her to push through a managed no deal, Cabinet meets tomorrow to discuss this and I expect she might go for it.

'Managed no deal' is chimeric - 200 MPs is all the government will be able to rally behind such a plan, and I suspect the non-lunatic Tories would vote to bring the government down rather than support no deal. The three paths the country still has are: May's deal (almost certainly not going to pass) or an election or a referendum. Election is the option that I think is likeliest out of these, but I think there's also a surprising appetite for a referendum from the Tories because they are woefully unprepared for an election and would get eviscerated.
And how do option 2 and 3 work in relation to the 11 days the UK has until

I edited my post out because I don’t think it grasped reality very solidly at all (it didn’t include the potential for more indicative votes on Wednesday for example), but what I’d reply to that is I think the EU would accommodate as much as reasonably is possible the UK trying to come to a positive political solution to the current crisis (I.e stumping FOR something), and both an election and a referendum are in my view the only way in which that solution will come about.

I agree that another referendum, with valid options and a clear path to a solution (i.e. clear rules on how to proceed afterwards), might be a way to solve this problem. I don't see how another election is remotely helpful in this situation. All it will do is stall the process for months and then there will be a new house that can start over again. The UK would be wise not to push for a new election and the EU would be wise to not accept one as reason for a brexit delay.

There are so few votes in each vote another election could easily end up in a majority for e.g customs union. Also it would solve the difficulty in what mandate the government as well as the opposition actually has with regards to whether implementing a custom union is legitimate etc.

Would it tho? It's not as if either party has a clear singular proposal. Tories have MPs ranging from no-deal hardliners to MPs wanting to cancel Brexit altogether. Labor isn't much better. The only parties with a clear singular proposal are some small ones that don't want to Brexit like LibDems and that new block that split off from Labor. Oh, and SNP, but they only exist in Scotland.

So let's say you have a new election and Labour wins. Clearly May's deal is dead. But what replaces it? Norway? Remain? Some new thing that Corbyn will have to negotiate?

Let's say the Tories win. Is that good for May's deal? Or hard Brexit? Or customs union? Or what?
kollin
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom8380 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-02 10:08:12
April 02 2019 10:07 GMT
#10237
On April 02 2019 19:03 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 18:40 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 16:43 korrekt wrote:
On April 02 2019 09:01 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:15 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:11 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 06:39 Zaros wrote:
Looked petulant to me but I guess im a brexiteer so I would see it that way. I like Nick I agree with him on a lot of issues and he is a very good MP but hes got it wrong on Brexit.

Apparantly 200 conservative MPs have signed a letter to the PM asking her to push through a managed no deal, Cabinet meets tomorrow to discuss this and I expect she might go for it.

'Managed no deal' is chimeric - 200 MPs is all the government will be able to rally behind such a plan, and I suspect the non-lunatic Tories would vote to bring the government down rather than support no deal. The three paths the country still has are: May's deal (almost certainly not going to pass) or an election or a referendum. Election is the option that I think is likeliest out of these, but I think there's also a surprising appetite for a referendum from the Tories because they are woefully unprepared for an election and would get eviscerated.
And how do option 2 and 3 work in relation to the 11 days the UK has until

I edited my post out because I don’t think it grasped reality very solidly at all (it didn’t include the potential for more indicative votes on Wednesday for example), but what I’d reply to that is I think the EU would accommodate as much as reasonably is possible the UK trying to come to a positive political solution to the current crisis (I.e stumping FOR something), and both an election and a referendum are in my view the only way in which that solution will come about.

I agree that another referendum, with valid options and a clear path to a solution (i.e. clear rules on how to proceed afterwards), might be a way to solve this problem. I don't see how another election is remotely helpful in this situation. All it will do is stall the process for months and then there will be a new house that can start over again. The UK would be wise not to push for a new election and the EU would be wise to not accept one as reason for a brexit delay.

There are so few votes in each vote another election could easily end up in a majority for e.g customs union. Also it would solve the difficulty in what mandate the government as well as the opposition actually has with regards to whether implementing a custom union is legitimate etc.

Would it tho? It's not as if either party has a clear singular proposal. Tories have MPs ranging from no-deal hardliners to MPs wanting to cancel Brexit altogether. Labor isn't much better. The only parties with a clear singular proposal are some small ones that don't want to Brexit like LibDems and that new block that split off from Labor. Oh, and SNP, but they only exist in Scotland.

So let's say you have a new election and Labour wins. Clearly May's deal is dead. But what replaces it? Norway? Remain? Some new thing that Corbyn will have to negotiate?

Let's say the Tories win. Is that good for May's deal? Or hard Brexit? Or customs union? Or what?

Labour is relatively united over what it does want, and very united over what it doesn’t want. If there’s a new election and Labour wins then the outcome will be Labour’s Brexit proposal (which is concrete, you can read about, and the EU have made favourable noises about) and likely s confirmatory vote. The combination of deal + vote in a new Parliament would probably command a majority. This obviously relies on the political will of the EU, and it’s that uncertainty that makes all this so high octane within domestic British politics.

If the Tories win and don’t get a big majority we’re fucked with regards to Brexit.
m4ini
Profile Joined February 2014
4215 Posts
April 02 2019 10:10 GMT
#10238
On a slightly "lighter" note.



Don't know how many here know Jon Pie, he's a satirist (usually). The sad thing is, i find myself agreeing with literally everything he says.

It's a surprisingly well thought out summary for what's happening.
On track to MA1950A.
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5872 Posts
April 02 2019 11:29 GMT
#10239
If there is one positive aspect of Brexit it's the fact that it exposed just how disfunctional FPTP is.
Longshank
Profile Joined March 2010
1648 Posts
April 02 2019 11:58 GMT
#10240
On April 02 2019 19:07 kollin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2019 19:03 Acrofales wrote:
On April 02 2019 18:40 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 16:43 korrekt wrote:
On April 02 2019 09:01 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:15 Gorsameth wrote:
On April 02 2019 08:11 kollin wrote:
On April 02 2019 06:39 Zaros wrote:
Looked petulant to me but I guess im a brexiteer so I would see it that way. I like Nick I agree with him on a lot of issues and he is a very good MP but hes got it wrong on Brexit.

Apparantly 200 conservative MPs have signed a letter to the PM asking her to push through a managed no deal, Cabinet meets tomorrow to discuss this and I expect she might go for it.

'Managed no deal' is chimeric - 200 MPs is all the government will be able to rally behind such a plan, and I suspect the non-lunatic Tories would vote to bring the government down rather than support no deal. The three paths the country still has are: May's deal (almost certainly not going to pass) or an election or a referendum. Election is the option that I think is likeliest out of these, but I think there's also a surprising appetite for a referendum from the Tories because they are woefully unprepared for an election and would get eviscerated.
And how do option 2 and 3 work in relation to the 11 days the UK has until

I edited my post out because I don’t think it grasped reality very solidly at all (it didn’t include the potential for more indicative votes on Wednesday for example), but what I’d reply to that is I think the EU would accommodate as much as reasonably is possible the UK trying to come to a positive political solution to the current crisis (I.e stumping FOR something), and both an election and a referendum are in my view the only way in which that solution will come about.

I agree that another referendum, with valid options and a clear path to a solution (i.e. clear rules on how to proceed afterwards), might be a way to solve this problem. I don't see how another election is remotely helpful in this situation. All it will do is stall the process for months and then there will be a new house that can start over again. The UK would be wise not to push for a new election and the EU would be wise to not accept one as reason for a brexit delay.

There are so few votes in each vote another election could easily end up in a majority for e.g customs union. Also it would solve the difficulty in what mandate the government as well as the opposition actually has with regards to whether implementing a custom union is legitimate etc.

Would it tho? It's not as if either party has a clear singular proposal. Tories have MPs ranging from no-deal hardliners to MPs wanting to cancel Brexit altogether. Labor isn't much better. The only parties with a clear singular proposal are some small ones that don't want to Brexit like LibDems and that new block that split off from Labor. Oh, and SNP, but they only exist in Scotland.

So let's say you have a new election and Labour wins. Clearly May's deal is dead. But what replaces it? Norway? Remain? Some new thing that Corbyn will have to negotiate?

Let's say the Tories win. Is that good for May's deal? Or hard Brexit? Or customs union? Or what?

Labour is relatively united over what it does want, and very united over what it doesn’t want. If there’s a new election and Labour wins then the outcome will be Labour’s Brexit proposal (which is concrete, you can read about, and the EU have made favourable noises about) and likely s confirmatory vote. The combination of deal + vote in a new Parliament would probably command a majority. This obviously relies on the political will of the EU, and it’s that uncertainty that makes all this so high octane within domestic British politics.

If the Tories win and don’t get a big majority we’re fucked with regards to Brexit.

It seems to me that Labour is more united on what they can accept, not necessarily on what they want. There is still a majority of MPs that want remain/referendum. I'm not sure what would benefit them more, the 48% seems to have grown and it would be problematic if none of the major parties were to represent those. Then again it's Corbyn and honoring the referendum...I think there would be lively internal discussions on what position to take in a GE.
Prev 1 510 511 512 513 514 648 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 232
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings113
CranKy Ducklings SOOP48
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko348
SHIN 232
ProTech142
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40831
Bisu 2100
Shuttle 1916
Hyuk 1679
Larva 415
EffOrt 412
Soma 395
Mini 352
ZerO 286
firebathero 226
[ Show more ]
Last 122
Leta 87
hero 82
Zeus 72
Pusan 62
Killer 48
Hm[arnc] 47
Hyun 47
Sexy 45
Trap 45
Bale 40
ToSsGirL 30
Aegong 27
PianO 25
zelot 23
sorry 17
yabsab 11
JulyZerg 10
Noble 10
Sacsri 7
Icarus 6
Rock 5
ajuk12(nOOB) 4
Dota 2
Gorgc4550
qojqva1543
Dendi952
XcaliburYe355
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor794
crisheroes679
Liquid`Hasu9
Other Games
gofns39910
singsing2576
B2W.Neo1184
Happy324
DeMusliM259
Livibee137
Mew2King99
Liquid`VortiX63
ArmadaUGS56
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream139
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 72
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 9843
League of Legends
• Jankos1674
Other Games
• WagamamaTV222
Upcoming Events
FEL
2h 54m
AI Arena Tournament
3h 54m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 54m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 54m
INu's Battles
22h 54m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.