• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:52
CEST 18:52
KST 01:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9596 users

LGBT Rights and Gender Equality Thread - Page 12

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 149 Next
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-12 01:09:35
March 12 2013 01:06 GMT
#221
On March 12 2013 09:56 Grumbels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 09:32 dcemuser wrote:
On March 12 2013 09:10 FabledIntegral wrote:
On March 11 2013 23:29 Grumbels wrote:
On March 11 2013 19:13 Kickboxer wrote:
As a moderately tolerant person (has gay acquaintances but not close friends, never ridicules gay people but would be horrified if future child turns out to be one) I think the main problem of the LGBT movement in western countries is their insistence on being perceived as "normal" as opposed to a group of people with a serious albeit 100% harmless defect.

What if you would apply the same logic to another sensitive issue: "I would never ridicule black people, but I'd be horrified if my future child would turn out to be one." (yes, this is a joke :p)


I don't really think there's anything wrong with the statement. I would also much prefer much children to be heterosexual, if I could somehow have a choice. Just as I'd prefer my children to be born with 10 fingers. Not something they can control, and lack of that trait won't make me love them any less, but I'd still prefer it. I'd also prefer my children to be social, attractive, etc.


To be fair, your statement and his are quite different, especially considering his use of the word "horrified" (and his statements in the unquoted paragraph that follows the quoted one). It is human to have unreasonable expectations (to a certain extent) but as a parent you can't let that be expressed (ever) to your child that you are upset that they are different from what you would have liked.

Also, in terms of analogies, your second one about social/attractive/etc is far better than your first.

No no, it's a joke, since being horrified your child is going to be black is obviously silly since you do have control over that outcome, so to say. :o

I'd be horrified if my child was black, at least assuming my wife is white. Gay is fine.

edit: damn I dont much like having this filler post at the top of a page. I'd replace it if I had anything insightful to say !
dcemuser
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3248 Posts
March 12 2013 01:13 GMT
#222
On March 12 2013 09:56 Grumbels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 09:32 dcemuser wrote:
On March 12 2013 09:10 FabledIntegral wrote:
On March 11 2013 23:29 Grumbels wrote:
On March 11 2013 19:13 Kickboxer wrote:
As a moderately tolerant person (has gay acquaintances but not close friends, never ridicules gay people but would be horrified if future child turns out to be one) I think the main problem of the LGBT movement in western countries is their insistence on being perceived as "normal" as opposed to a group of people with a serious albeit 100% harmless defect.

What if you would apply the same logic to another sensitive issue: "I would never ridicule black people, but I'd be horrified if my future child would turn out to be one." (yes, this is a joke :p)


I don't really think there's anything wrong with the statement. I would also much prefer much children to be heterosexual, if I could somehow have a choice. Just as I'd prefer my children to be born with 10 fingers. Not something they can control, and lack of that trait won't make me love them any less, but I'd still prefer it. I'd also prefer my children to be social, attractive, etc.


To be fair, your statement and his are quite different, especially considering his use of the word "horrified" (and his statements in the unquoted paragraph that follows the quoted one). It is human to have unreasonable expectations (to a certain extent) but as a parent you can't let that be expressed (ever) to your child that you are upset that they are different from what you would have liked.

Also, in terms of analogies, your second one about social/attractive/etc is far better than your first.

No no, it's a joke, since being horrified your child is going to be black is obviously silly since you do have control over that outcome, so to say. :o


I didn't mean you, silly, I meant the person you quoted.
killa_robot
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada1884 Posts
March 12 2013 01:24 GMT
#223
On March 12 2013 09:58 Alay wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 08:46 Rassy wrote:
Dont realy get this tbh, are there no laws against discrimination already,wich would prevent anny unequall treatment in most situations?
Besides the gay mariage i realy dont see what other rights people are looking for? (i realy dont know this so if someone could list them i would apreciate, i didnt see them annywhere listed in the thread either)
There will always be some small differences btw, but they have little to do with discrimination.
Transgenders wont be able to compete in womens leagues in most sports for example but that is not what this thread is about i guess.
Annyway:if annyone could give me a small list of "hot" isues for transgender equality i would be happy.
As far as i can see now it is "only" the gay mariage and things that are connected to that (adopting children)


dcemuser United States. March 12 2013 03:56. Posts 2662

PM Profile Report Quote

Ty for this post, that was quiet informative.
Didnt realise there was so much science behind it, my opinnion about transgender in general became a lot more postive i have to admit.


Trans issues currently (what I'd put anyways):

Lack of anti-discrimination laws. In many states you can be fired on the spot for being trans, and there's no legal repercussions. Trans people have died because they've been denied medical treatment in emergency situations based on being trans alone. Housing discrimination still happens way too much. Even prison placements and the like can be pretty horrific.

Bathroom restrictions. There's many cases where students/workers are forced to use their gender-assigned-at-birth bathrooms, regardless of their physical appearance, genital situation, etc. This is usually drummed up by some fear that trans people are secretly just trying to get into places to rape people.

Medical restrictions. In many situations, insurance companies will completely deny coverage related to transition medical costs, including hormones, psychiatric consultation, surgeries, etc. Which is, in my subjective opinion, completely fucking utter bullshit.

Marriage laws. Even many straight trans couples can't marry due to "technically gay" laws. It ends up in some states (such as Ohio) that trans people can't marry anyone (marrying same gender = gay. marrying someone of opposite gender = technically gay. zzz)

Media portrayal. Not really legal based, but society still enjoys mocking the hell out of trans people (trans women, more specifically.) This leads to a lot of demonization and violence.


That's just a quick few. There's probably more I can't think of right now. Currently in many parts of the United States, trans people have it pretty shit. Probably why the suicide rate is like 25-50%.


Bathroom and change rooms are something we need to change anyway. With the gay population being noticed and accepted, it's about to we recognize the current system there isn't working. As it stands now, any perverted homosexual (yes they exist, get off your high horse), can take advantage of their situation.

I imagine more issues come with being trans than most of us recognize, as we usually just see the social side. I'm sure within they're full of all sorts of conflict, doubt, and other bad things which would lead to suicide.
Sanctimonius
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom861 Posts
March 12 2013 05:43 GMT
#224
But...if we have equality for them gays then we'd have to accept that they are actual human beings...

Anyways. Interesting notes about trans people above, I haven't personally known anyone who is transgender so I don't have any experience, but I've always assumed it's a very difficult life, even for those who are able to undergo the operation. Interesting note about the marriage thing too, it never occurred to me that would be a problem.

I have never understood the anti-gay arguments, honestly. I have tried to see it from both points of view, but it's hard when one side is just so disconnected from reality. The last time I checked the point of the Western way of life was to allow people to be free, to live their lives as long as they aren't hurting others. Now, forcing gay and transgender people to live by the rules of a specific religion that they may or may not believe in seems more than a little dictatorial. A message to y'all - if you allow gay marriage, you don't have to get married to someone of the same sex. You don't even have to agree with it! You can hate it with all your little hateful heart and feel a warm glow from Jesus. It is simply allowing them the freedoms you currently enjoy. It is enforcing the human rights people should be allowed to enjoy.

Whenever I see a thread like this I can't help but think of the line from V for Vendetta, when a character asks 'Why do they hate us?' Speaking as a straight married man, my marriage isn't under threat if Ted can marry Ben.
You live the life you choose.
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
March 12 2013 09:15 GMT
#225
On March 12 2013 09:10 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2013 23:29 Grumbels wrote:
On March 11 2013 19:13 Kickboxer wrote:
As a moderately tolerant person (has gay acquaintances but not close friends, never ridicules gay people but would be horrified if future child turns out to be one) I think the main problem of the LGBT movement in western countries is their insistence on being perceived as "normal" as opposed to a group of people with a serious albeit 100% harmless defect.

What if you would apply the same logic to another sensitive issue: "I would never ridicule black people, but I'd be horrified if my future child would turn out to be one." (yes, this is a joke :p)


I don't really think there's anything wrong with the statement. I would also much prefer much children to be heterosexual, if I could somehow have a choice. Just as I'd prefer my children to be born with 10 fingers. Not something they can control, and lack of that trait won't make me love them any less, but I'd still prefer it. I'd also prefer my children to be social, attractive, etc.

this is a pretty bad line to take though, because you seem to be equating homosexuality with 1. severe defect (lack of fingers) 2. a defective life in some way (lack of social life)

1 is clearly undefendable...
2. is a bit better, but still, there is no reason why a gay person cannot have a fulfilling and perfect life.
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
Severedevil
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4839 Posts
March 12 2013 17:29 GMT
#226
Government marriage is government endorsement of particular lifestyles. A good government should endorse lifestyles that tend to benefit society, and try to dissuade people from lifestyles than tend to be a detriment. (Binge drinking and smoking are both legal in the U.S., but the government attempts to dissuade them.)

Marriage between a fertile female and a fertile male tends to promote the creation of new babies, in a way that (I suggest) a marriage between two men does not. So, there's a reason to endorse hetero marriage but not male-male marriage. (Female-female marriage probably promotes baby-making since you only need a sperm donor.)

However, I don't think 'make more babies' is desirable to promote. I'd rather our population shrink. What I do support and want the government to endorse is better raising of children. Stable partnerships are good for raising children, and with adoption, such partnerships can raise children without creating the baby themselves. So, I do not think any government is warranted in favoring heterosexual marriage over homosexual marriage, unless they have a dearth of babies.

(Poly marriages are more complicated to consider simply because there are more partners involved -- there may be additional advantages and drawbacks that manifest in a poly marriage but not in a monogamous one.)

One can also consider it a matter of 'rights', but the idea of government-backed marriage as a 'right' seems rather weak.
My strategy is to fork people.
Sawajiri
Profile Joined June 2007
Austria417 Posts
March 12 2013 19:45 GMT
#227
On March 12 2013 18:15 oneofthem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 09:10 FabledIntegral wrote:
On March 11 2013 23:29 Grumbels wrote:
On March 11 2013 19:13 Kickboxer wrote:
As a moderately tolerant person (has gay acquaintances but not close friends, never ridicules gay people but would be horrified if future child turns out to be one) I think the main problem of the LGBT movement in western countries is their insistence on being perceived as "normal" as opposed to a group of people with a serious albeit 100% harmless defect.

What if you would apply the same logic to another sensitive issue: "I would never ridicule black people, but I'd be horrified if my future child would turn out to be one." (yes, this is a joke :p)


I don't really think there's anything wrong with the statement. I would also much prefer much children to be heterosexual, if I could somehow have a choice. Just as I'd prefer my children to be born with 10 fingers. Not something they can control, and lack of that trait won't make me love them any less, but I'd still prefer it. I'd also prefer my children to be social, attractive, etc.

this is a pretty bad line to take though, because you seem to be equating homosexuality with 1. severe defect (lack of fingers) 2. a defective life in some way (lack of social life)

1 is clearly undefendable...
2. is a bit better, but still, there is no reason why a gay person cannot have a fulfilling and perfect life.


I hear you, but I also understand what the person above you wrote. Obviously homosexuality should not be equated with crime or anything of the sort, but I think it's only natural for a person to prefer heterosexual children, if they had a choice.

It's simply about wanting to position your child where it would be unlikely to be discriminated against and face hardships due to something they cannot help. Heterosexuality is a privilege and boosts the likelihood of having a more struggle-free life. Of course, it should not be that way -- ideally, having a sexuality other than hetero should not in any way or form make it harder for the average person to succeed. As long as it's the reality, though, it's not necessarily bigoted for someone to prefer having heterosexual children, so long as they would also love and support a non-heterosexual child equally should he or she turn out to identify as such.
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
March 12 2013 23:43 GMT
#228
On March 13 2013 02:29 Severedevil wrote:
Government marriage is government endorsement of particular lifestyles. A good government should endorse lifestyles that tend to benefit society, and try to dissuade people from lifestyles than tend to be a detriment. (Binge drinking and smoking are both legal in the U.S., but the government attempts to dissuade them.)

Marriage between a fertile female and a fertile male tends to promote the creation of new babies, in a way that (I suggest) a marriage between two men does not. So, there's a reason to endorse hetero marriage but not male-male marriage. (Female-female marriage probably promotes baby-making since you only need a sperm donor.)

However, I don't think 'make more babies' is desirable to promote. I'd rather our population shrink. What I do support and want the government to endorse is better raising of children. Stable partnerships are good for raising children, and with adoption, such partnerships can raise children without creating the baby themselves. So, I do not think any government is warranted in favoring heterosexual marriage over homosexual marriage, unless they have a dearth of babies.

(Poly marriages are more complicated to consider simply because there are more partners involved -- there may be additional advantages and drawbacks that manifest in a poly marriage but not in a monogamous one.)

One can also consider it a matter of 'rights', but the idea of government-backed marriage as a 'right' seems rather weak.


With the advent of modern medicine and how it has ramped population growth to unprecedented levels, any arguments about protecting marriage as a heterosexual reproductive union are frivolous at best. Having a child is no challenge at all, gay or straight, it is simply a matter of time and money.

And if we are ever in need of extra people for whatever reason, marriage is just about the last thing you want. Fidelity is a terrible idea for effective population growth, what you want in that scenario is just the maximum amount of people having unprotected sex, any emotional attachment or affiliation is irrelevant. Our species was reproducing just fine before the concept of marriage was invented, and will likely do so long after it has met its already overdue demise.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
March 12 2013 23:49 GMT
#229
On March 13 2013 04:45 Sawajiri wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 18:15 oneofthem wrote:
On March 12 2013 09:10 FabledIntegral wrote:
On March 11 2013 23:29 Grumbels wrote:
On March 11 2013 19:13 Kickboxer wrote:
As a moderately tolerant person (has gay acquaintances but not close friends, never ridicules gay people but would be horrified if future child turns out to be one) I think the main problem of the LGBT movement in western countries is their insistence on being perceived as "normal" as opposed to a group of people with a serious albeit 100% harmless defect.

What if you would apply the same logic to another sensitive issue: "I would never ridicule black people, but I'd be horrified if my future child would turn out to be one." (yes, this is a joke :p)


I don't really think there's anything wrong with the statement. I would also much prefer much children to be heterosexual, if I could somehow have a choice. Just as I'd prefer my children to be born with 10 fingers. Not something they can control, and lack of that trait won't make me love them any less, but I'd still prefer it. I'd also prefer my children to be social, attractive, etc.

this is a pretty bad line to take though, because you seem to be equating homosexuality with 1. severe defect (lack of fingers) 2. a defective life in some way (lack of social life)

1 is clearly undefendable...
2. is a bit better, but still, there is no reason why a gay person cannot have a fulfilling and perfect life.


I hear you, but I also understand what the person above you wrote. Obviously homosexuality should not be equated with crime or anything of the sort, but I think it's only natural for a person to prefer heterosexual children, if they had a choice.

It's simply about wanting to position your child where it would be unlikely to be discriminated against and face hardships due to something they cannot help. Heterosexuality is a privilege and boosts the likelihood of having a more struggle-free life. Of course, it should not be that way -- ideally, having a sexuality other than hetero should not in any way or form make it harder for the average person to succeed. As long as it's the reality, though, it's not necessarily bigoted for someone to prefer having heterosexual children, so long as they would also love and support a non-heterosexual child equally should he or she turn out to identify as such.


I feel the same and see no shame in it. Hoping your child doesn't go through what gays go through is not being discriminatory.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
March 13 2013 00:19 GMT
#230
On March 13 2013 08:49 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2013 04:45 Sawajiri wrote:
On March 12 2013 18:15 oneofthem wrote:
On March 12 2013 09:10 FabledIntegral wrote:
On March 11 2013 23:29 Grumbels wrote:
On March 11 2013 19:13 Kickboxer wrote:
As a moderately tolerant person (has gay acquaintances but not close friends, never ridicules gay people but would be horrified if future child turns out to be one) I think the main problem of the LGBT movement in western countries is their insistence on being perceived as "normal" as opposed to a group of people with a serious albeit 100% harmless defect.

What if you would apply the same logic to another sensitive issue: "I would never ridicule black people, but I'd be horrified if my future child would turn out to be one." (yes, this is a joke :p)


I don't really think there's anything wrong with the statement. I would also much prefer much children to be heterosexual, if I could somehow have a choice. Just as I'd prefer my children to be born with 10 fingers. Not something they can control, and lack of that trait won't make me love them any less, but I'd still prefer it. I'd also prefer my children to be social, attractive, etc.

this is a pretty bad line to take though, because you seem to be equating homosexuality with 1. severe defect (lack of fingers) 2. a defective life in some way (lack of social life)

1 is clearly undefendable...
2. is a bit better, but still, there is no reason why a gay person cannot have a fulfilling and perfect life.


I hear you, but I also understand what the person above you wrote. Obviously homosexuality should not be equated with crime or anything of the sort, but I think it's only natural for a person to prefer heterosexual children, if they had a choice.

It's simply about wanting to position your child where it would be unlikely to be discriminated against and face hardships due to something they cannot help. Heterosexuality is a privilege and boosts the likelihood of having a more struggle-free life. Of course, it should not be that way -- ideally, having a sexuality other than hetero should not in any way or form make it harder for the average person to succeed. As long as it's the reality, though, it's not necessarily bigoted for someone to prefer having heterosexual children, so long as they would also love and support a non-heterosexual child equally should he or she turn out to identify as such.


I feel the same and see no shame in it. Hoping your child doesn't go through what gays go through is not being discriminatory.


While that's a significant part, it's also simply partly selfish. Simply for me. Partially because I see some value in biological grandchildren. I'm not exactly sure why, it might just be a biological trait. It's preference and it's not dealbreaking, just as I'd prefer a nonsterile child over a sterile one. But even all that aside, there's something beyond the discrimination and grandchild potential in me that would simply *prefer* a heterosexual child. I don't think I can help the feeling. I'm not even saying it's "right."
Lynda
Profile Joined May 2010
649 Posts
March 13 2013 07:54 GMT
#231
I think in one way it could possibly even be a good thing to have a LGBT child - if you accept and love them unconditionally still and support them through their hardships, that can build a tremendously strong bond between you and your child.

Either way, even if no one preferred having a LGBT child, just let it fully sink in that it's entirely a possibility, it's in the pack of cards and neither you nor your future child have a choice over how they are born. It happens now and then, it might just happen to occur in your family and it's better to take that into perspective now than to be terribly shocked if it does actually happen.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
March 14 2013 01:17 GMT
#232
On March 13 2013 16:54 Lynda wrote:
I think in one way it could possibly even be a good thing to have a LGBT child - if you accept and love them unconditionally still and support them through their hardships, that can build a tremendously strong bond between you and your child.

Either way, even if no one preferred having a LGBT child, just let it fully sink in that it's entirely a possibility, it's in the pack of cards and neither you nor your future child have a choice over how they are born. It happens now and then, it might just happen to occur in your family and it's better to take that into perspective now than to be terribly shocked if it does actually happen.


Oh I'm not going to argue with anyone you said, just pointing out that I think part of it is intrinsic human nature to the majority. I would care much less, for example, if it were to happen to a grandchild than a child of my own, I think.
StayPhrosty
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada406 Posts
March 14 2013 02:19 GMT
#233
On March 13 2013 08:43 McBengt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2013 02:29 Severedevil wrote:
Government marriage is government endorsement of particular lifestyles. A good government should endorse lifestyles that tend to benefit society, and try to dissuade people from lifestyles than tend to be a detriment. (Binge drinking and smoking are both legal in the U.S., but the government attempts to dissuade them.)

Marriage between a fertile female and a fertile male tends to promote the creation of new babies, in a way that (I suggest) a marriage between two men does not. So, there's a reason to endorse hetero marriage but not male-male marriage. (Female-female marriage probably promotes baby-making since you only need a sperm donor.)

However, I don't think 'make more babies' is desirable to promote. I'd rather our population shrink. What I do support and want the government to endorse is better raising of children. Stable partnerships are good for raising children, and with adoption, such partnerships can raise children without creating the baby themselves. So, I do not think any government is warranted in favoring heterosexual marriage over homosexual marriage, unless they have a dearth of babies.

(Poly marriages are more complicated to consider simply because there are more partners involved -- there may be additional advantages and drawbacks that manifest in a poly marriage but not in a monogamous one.)

One can also consider it a matter of 'rights', but the idea of government-backed marriage as a 'right' seems rather weak.


With the advent of modern medicine and how it has ramped population growth to unprecedented levels, any arguments about protecting marriage as a heterosexual reproductive union are frivolous at best. Having a child is no challenge at all, gay or straight, it is simply a matter of time and money.

And if we are ever in need of extra people for whatever reason, marriage is just about the last thing you want. Fidelity is a terrible idea for effective population growth, what you want in that scenario is just the maximum amount of people having unprotected sex, any emotional attachment or affiliation is irrelevant. Our species was reproducing just fine before the concept of marriage was invented, and will likely do so long after it has met its already overdue demise.


I'm not quite sure if you're agreeing angrily with him or you just didn't read his post xD also I would think that marriage would be beneficial to population growth, simply from a societal benefit perspective, but it's not exactly an argument I've heard a ton about.
To be is to do-Socrates To do is to be-Sartre Do Be Do Be Do-Sinatra
StayPhrosty
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada406 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-14 02:37:02
March 14 2013 02:35 GMT
#234
On March 13 2013 09:19 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2013 08:49 Mohdoo wrote:
On March 13 2013 04:45 Sawajiri wrote:
On March 12 2013 18:15 oneofthem wrote:
On March 12 2013 09:10 FabledIntegral wrote:
On March 11 2013 23:29 Grumbels wrote:
On March 11 2013 19:13 Kickboxer wrote:
As a moderately tolerant person (has gay acquaintances but not close friends, never ridicules gay people but would be horrified if future child turns out to be one) I think the main problem of the LGBT movement in western countries is their insistence on being perceived as "normal" as opposed to a group of people with a serious albeit 100% harmless defect.

What if you would apply the same logic to another sensitive issue: "I would never ridicule black people, but I'd be horrified if my future child would turn out to be one." (yes, this is a joke :p)


I don't really think there's anything wrong with the statement. I would also much prefer much children to be heterosexual, if I could somehow have a choice. Just as I'd prefer my children to be born with 10 fingers. Not something they can control, and lack of that trait won't make me love them any less, but I'd still prefer it. I'd also prefer my children to be social, attractive, etc.

this is a pretty bad line to take though, because you seem to be equating homosexuality with 1. severe defect (lack of fingers) 2. a defective life in some way (lack of social life)

1 is clearly undefendable...
2. is a bit better, but still, there is no reason why a gay person cannot have a fulfilling and perfect life.


I hear you, but I also understand what the person above you wrote. Obviously homosexuality should not be equated with crime or anything of the sort, but I think it's only natural for a person to prefer heterosexual children, if they had a choice.

It's simply about wanting to position your child where it would be unlikely to be discriminated against and face hardships due to something they cannot help. Heterosexuality is a privilege and boosts the likelihood of having a more struggle-free life. Of course, it should not be that way -- ideally, having a sexuality other than hetero should not in any way or form make it harder for the average person to succeed. As long as it's the reality, though, it's not necessarily bigoted for someone to prefer having heterosexual children, so long as they would also love and support a non-heterosexual child equally should he or she turn out to identify as such.


I feel the same and see no shame in it. Hoping your child doesn't go through what gays go through is not being discriminatory.


While that's a significant part, it's also simply partly selfish. Simply for me. Partially because I see some value in biological grandchildren. I'm not exactly sure why, it might just be a biological trait. It's preference and it's not dealbreaking, just as I'd prefer a nonsterile child over a sterile one. But even all that aside, there's something beyond the discrimination and grandchild potential in me that would simply *prefer* a heterosexual child. I don't think I can help the feeling. I'm not even saying it's "right."


I totally understand you position and I don't think you're somehow "wrong" to think that (and I assume many people would share your viewpoint) but I slightly disagree personally. From my own perspective, the bond that I could form with my child if it were gay I think would be a benefit, as well as the likely crowd that my child would associate with. The way I see it, I would not want my child to grow up poor in a bad area of town type atmosphere regardless of their sexuality. If they were gay though, I would think that they would likely grow up being much more informed about various social issues, and would likely make friends with much more accepting people. Obviously no parent wants their child to be bullied, so I think that taking my kids to a school that deals better with bullying and whatnot would be a top priority and thus would partially nullify their danger if they were gay. I can also totally understand wanting to pass on your own genes, but for me I would probably want 3 children or so, so not only would it be highly unlikely that they all gay, but I would also be accounting for if any one of them were to die at a young age. I wouldn't say I have a "preference" one way or another as to my child's gender or sexual preference, as I can definitely see both positives and negatives for any situation. I mean, I could see how someone might prefer a male child over a female one, but I also think that the benefits outweigh any slight differences in the problems they might encounter in life (and I would add that the country I live in definitely makes an impact on my relative neutrality here. I admit I would have a very different viewpoint if I were living in a less accepting society/income level).
To be is to do-Socrates To do is to be-Sartre Do Be Do Be Do-Sinatra
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
March 14 2013 19:14 GMT
#235
On March 14 2013 11:35 StayPhrosty wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2013 09:19 FabledIntegral wrote:
On March 13 2013 08:49 Mohdoo wrote:
On March 13 2013 04:45 Sawajiri wrote:
On March 12 2013 18:15 oneofthem wrote:
On March 12 2013 09:10 FabledIntegral wrote:
On March 11 2013 23:29 Grumbels wrote:
On March 11 2013 19:13 Kickboxer wrote:
As a moderately tolerant person (has gay acquaintances but not close friends, never ridicules gay people but would be horrified if future child turns out to be one) I think the main problem of the LGBT movement in western countries is their insistence on being perceived as "normal" as opposed to a group of people with a serious albeit 100% harmless defect.

What if you would apply the same logic to another sensitive issue: "I would never ridicule black people, but I'd be horrified if my future child would turn out to be one." (yes, this is a joke :p)


I don't really think there's anything wrong with the statement. I would also much prefer much children to be heterosexual, if I could somehow have a choice. Just as I'd prefer my children to be born with 10 fingers. Not something they can control, and lack of that trait won't make me love them any less, but I'd still prefer it. I'd also prefer my children to be social, attractive, etc.

this is a pretty bad line to take though, because you seem to be equating homosexuality with 1. severe defect (lack of fingers) 2. a defective life in some way (lack of social life)

1 is clearly undefendable...
2. is a bit better, but still, there is no reason why a gay person cannot have a fulfilling and perfect life.


I hear you, but I also understand what the person above you wrote. Obviously homosexuality should not be equated with crime or anything of the sort, but I think it's only natural for a person to prefer heterosexual children, if they had a choice.

It's simply about wanting to position your child where it would be unlikely to be discriminated against and face hardships due to something they cannot help. Heterosexuality is a privilege and boosts the likelihood of having a more struggle-free life. Of course, it should not be that way -- ideally, having a sexuality other than hetero should not in any way or form make it harder for the average person to succeed. As long as it's the reality, though, it's not necessarily bigoted for someone to prefer having heterosexual children, so long as they would also love and support a non-heterosexual child equally should he or she turn out to identify as such.


I feel the same and see no shame in it. Hoping your child doesn't go through what gays go through is not being discriminatory.


While that's a significant part, it's also simply partly selfish. Simply for me. Partially because I see some value in biological grandchildren. I'm not exactly sure why, it might just be a biological trait. It's preference and it's not dealbreaking, just as I'd prefer a nonsterile child over a sterile one. But even all that aside, there's something beyond the discrimination and grandchild potential in me that would simply *prefer* a heterosexual child. I don't think I can help the feeling. I'm not even saying it's "right."


I totally understand you position and I don't think you're somehow "wrong" to think that (and I assume many people would share your viewpoint) but I slightly disagree personally. From my own perspective, the bond that I could form with my child if it were gay I think would be a benefit, as well as the likely crowd that my child would associate with. The way I see it, I would not want my child to grow up poor in a bad area of town type atmosphere regardless of their sexuality. If they were gay though, I would think that they would likely grow up being much more informed about various social issues, and would likely make friends with much more accepting people. Obviously no parent wants their child to be bullied, so I think that taking my kids to a school that deals better with bullying and whatnot would be a top priority and thus would partially nullify their danger if they were gay. I can also totally understand wanting to pass on your own genes, but for me I would probably want 3 children or so, so not only would it be highly unlikely that they all gay, but I would also be accounting for if any one of them were to die at a young age. I wouldn't say I have a "preference" one way or another as to my child's gender or sexual preference, as I can definitely see both positives and negatives for any situation. I mean, I could see how someone might prefer a male child over a female one, but I also think that the benefits outweigh any slight differences in the problems they might encounter in life (and I would add that the country I live in definitely makes an impact on my relative neutrality here. I admit I would have a very different viewpoint if I were living in a less accepting society/income level).


Hmmm you're right. Multiple children would definitely cause less of an issue on the gene front as long as the rest are hetero. In that case, I'm not sure I would mind as much (wow my viewpoint changing from someone else's Internet post?! Even if it was pointing out the obvious...).
McBengt
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1684 Posts
March 15 2013 00:00 GMT
#236
On March 14 2013 11:19 StayPhrosty wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2013 08:43 McBengt wrote:
On March 13 2013 02:29 Severedevil wrote:
Government marriage is government endorsement of particular lifestyles. A good government should endorse lifestyles that tend to benefit society, and try to dissuade people from lifestyles than tend to be a detriment. (Binge drinking and smoking are both legal in the U.S., but the government attempts to dissuade them.)

Marriage between a fertile female and a fertile male tends to promote the creation of new babies, in a way that (I suggest) a marriage between two men does not. So, there's a reason to endorse hetero marriage but not male-male marriage. (Female-female marriage probably promotes baby-making since you only need a sperm donor.)

However, I don't think 'make more babies' is desirable to promote. I'd rather our population shrink. What I do support and want the government to endorse is better raising of children. Stable partnerships are good for raising children, and with adoption, such partnerships can raise children without creating the baby themselves. So, I do not think any government is warranted in favoring heterosexual marriage over homosexual marriage, unless they have a dearth of babies.

(Poly marriages are more complicated to consider simply because there are more partners involved -- there may be additional advantages and drawbacks that manifest in a poly marriage but not in a monogamous one.)

One can also consider it a matter of 'rights', but the idea of government-backed marriage as a 'right' seems rather weak.


With the advent of modern medicine and how it has ramped population growth to unprecedented levels, any arguments about protecting marriage as a heterosexual reproductive union are frivolous at best. Having a child is no challenge at all, gay or straight, it is simply a matter of time and money.

And if we are ever in need of extra people for whatever reason, marriage is just about the last thing you want. Fidelity is a terrible idea for effective population growth, what you want in that scenario is just the maximum amount of people having unprotected sex, any emotional attachment or affiliation is irrelevant. Our species was reproducing just fine before the concept of marriage was invented, and will likely do so long after it has met its already overdue demise.


I'm not quite sure if you're agreeing angrily with him or you just didn't read his post xD also I would think that marriage would be beneficial to population growth, simply from a societal benefit perspective, but it's not exactly an argument I've heard a ton about.


I'm mostly agreeing and then offering a brief commentary. Not sure how you would infer anger from what I wrote.
"My twelve year old will out-reason Bill Maher when it comes to understanding, you know, what, uh, how to logic work" - Rick Santorum
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
March 15 2013 02:21 GMT
#237
On March 15 2013 09:00 McBengt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2013 11:19 StayPhrosty wrote:
On March 13 2013 08:43 McBengt wrote:
On March 13 2013 02:29 Severedevil wrote:
Government marriage is government endorsement of particular lifestyles. A good government should endorse lifestyles that tend to benefit society, and try to dissuade people from lifestyles than tend to be a detriment. (Binge drinking and smoking are both legal in the U.S., but the government attempts to dissuade them.)

Marriage between a fertile female and a fertile male tends to promote the creation of new babies, in a way that (I suggest) a marriage between two men does not. So, there's a reason to endorse hetero marriage but not male-male marriage. (Female-female marriage probably promotes baby-making since you only need a sperm donor.)

However, I don't think 'make more babies' is desirable to promote. I'd rather our population shrink. What I do support and want the government to endorse is better raising of children. Stable partnerships are good for raising children, and with adoption, such partnerships can raise children without creating the baby themselves. So, I do not think any government is warranted in favoring heterosexual marriage over homosexual marriage, unless they have a dearth of babies.

(Poly marriages are more complicated to consider simply because there are more partners involved -- there may be additional advantages and drawbacks that manifest in a poly marriage but not in a monogamous one.)

One can also consider it a matter of 'rights', but the idea of government-backed marriage as a 'right' seems rather weak.


With the advent of modern medicine and how it has ramped population growth to unprecedented levels, any arguments about protecting marriage as a heterosexual reproductive union are frivolous at best. Having a child is no challenge at all, gay or straight, it is simply a matter of time and money.

And if we are ever in need of extra people for whatever reason, marriage is just about the last thing you want. Fidelity is a terrible idea for effective population growth, what you want in that scenario is just the maximum amount of people having unprotected sex, any emotional attachment or affiliation is irrelevant. Our species was reproducing just fine before the concept of marriage was invented, and will likely do so long after it has met its already overdue demise.


I'm not quite sure if you're agreeing angrily with him or you just didn't read his post xD also I would think that marriage would be beneficial to population growth, simply from a societal benefit perspective, but it's not exactly an argument I've heard a ton about.


I'm mostly agreeing and then offering a brief commentary. Not sure how you would infer anger from what I wrote.


Your post can definitely appear to be misinterpreting his post and trying to counter it incorrectly. Keyword "appear" as I realized what you were saying, but I definitely had to reread the original quote.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 15 2013 02:37 GMT
#238
trans people have it pretty shit. Probably why the suicide rate is like 25-50%.


If so many people were not so self centered and inconsiderate, completely unable to empathize outside of their small social groups, the world would be a much better place. Alas, it is not - and some people deserve the middle finger or a fist to the face if they push it (:
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
OsoVega
Profile Joined December 2010
926 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-15 02:56:50
March 15 2013 02:55 GMT
#239
On March 15 2013 11:37 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
trans people have it pretty shit. Probably why the suicide rate is like 25-50%.


If so many people were not so self centered and inconsiderate, completely unable to empathize outside of their small social groups, the world would be a much better place. Alas, it is not - and some people deserve the middle finger or a fist to the face if they push it (:

Is that the case? I've not made up my mind on this issue, but I suspect these people have such high suicide rates because of misery brought on by transsexualism, itself. Reality being opposed to what you feel is going to cause big problems with an issue as important as gender and sexuality and I think that transsexualism is probably best described as a mental illness (and a serious one at that). Maybe transsexual suicide rates wouldn't be so high if people were more accepting, thus allowing them better support, but I doubt that prejudice is the primary cause.
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-15 03:04:11
March 15 2013 02:59 GMT
#240
On March 15 2013 11:55 OsoVega wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 15 2013 11:37 Cyro wrote:
trans people have it pretty shit. Probably why the suicide rate is like 25-50%.


If so many people were not so self centered and inconsiderate, completely unable to empathize outside of their small social groups, the world would be a much better place. Alas, it is not - and some people deserve the middle finger or a fist to the face if they push it (:

Is that the case? I've not made up my mind on this issue, but I suspect these people have such high suicide rates because of misery brought on by transsexualism, itself. Reality being opposed to what you feel is going to cause big problems with an issue as important as gender and sexuality and I think that transsexualism is probably best described as a mental illness (and a serious one at that). Maybe transsexual suicide rates wouldn't be so high if people were more accepting, thus allowing them better support, but I doubt that prejudice is the primary cause.


Well, you'd be wrong. Because all the medical evidence contradict you. Transsexual suicide rates are most drastically lowered by having accepting family, and followed by that, accepting friends. It is also well documented that hormone therapy greatly increases the quality of life for transsexuals. But, yea, go on assuming the reason transsexuals commit suicide is because you "feel" like they have a mental illness.

Those with strong support networks are closer to the national average when it comes to suicide. However, few do have strong support networks precisely because of the beliefs that the quoted poster has. That transsexualism is a mental illness at odds with reality.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 149 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 8m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech150
mouzHeroMarine 134
UpATreeSC 124
BRAT_OK 58
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3737
Bisu 1757
Soulkey 1287
EffOrt 773
Mini 557
Larva 347
Horang2 272
ZerO 262
actioN 174
ggaemo 163
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 123
Mind 82
hero 69
Sharp 63
Shinee 60
sorry 54
Snow 49
Hyun 41
Barracks 38
Bale 31
Trap 29
Terrorterran 23
ToSsGirL 18
NaDa 16
Rock 15
scan(afreeca) 14
Sacsri 9
Noble 8
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5628
Dendi1195
XaKoH 414
420jenkins356
League of Legends
Reynor84
Counter-Strike
fl0m3430
pashabiceps709
Fnx 671
x6flipin484
edward32
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes464
Liquid`Hasu48
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1525
hiko864
FrodaN601
XBOCT236
Livibee192
TKL 114
QueenE93
C9.Mang067
Mew2King43
ZerO(Twitch)25
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV206
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 55
• Reevou 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 39
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV684
League of Legends
• Nemesis3920
• TFBlade804
Other Games
• Shiphtur505
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 8m
Patches Events
23h 8m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.