• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:25
CEST 14:25
KST 21:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8364 users

Google Android discussion - Page 19

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 86 Next
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
November 18 2013 18:29 GMT
#361
So has anyone gotten their Nexus 5? How's battery life?
andyrau
Profile Joined December 2010
13015 Posts
November 18 2013 18:52 GMT
#362
very inconsistent, varies from great to underwhelming.

sometimes I can get a max of a full work day before the battery hits critical levels; at other times if I try to watch twitch or other mildly processor-intensive applications it drops pretty quickly.
Coming from an ip4, I think the battery indications are pretty misleading/confusing. For example, my iphone used to hover at 90-100% charge after 2-ish hours of heavy use. Afterwards, it would plummet like a rock. On my N5, it will steadily decrease under heavy use.
However, both are amazing on standby/idle if you restrict background data transfer. Texts/calls will come through but push updates from things like twitter/gmail/whatsapp will not show up. Really depends on what you want.

I'm currently waiting for a custom rom that lets me underclock the cpu when the phone is on battery power and vice versa when the phone is on charge. I'm also hoping for a rom that lets me tailor the individual apps that can use background data transfer.
"Zai is legitimately not as good as bulba." | kaipi ti3 champions
rawb
Profile Joined September 2010
United States252 Posts
November 18 2013 19:59 GMT
#363
On November 19 2013 03:52 andyrau wrote:
very inconsistent, varies from great to underwhelming.

sometimes I can get a max of a full work day before the battery hits critical levels; at other times if I try to watch twitch or other mildly processor-intensive applications it drops pretty quickly.
Coming from an ip4, I think the battery indications are pretty misleading/confusing. For example, my iphone used to hover at 90-100% charge after 2-ish hours of heavy use. Afterwards, it would plummet like a rock. On my N5, it will steadily decrease under heavy use.
However, both are amazing on standby/idle if you restrict background data transfer. Texts/calls will come through but push updates from things like twitter/gmail/whatsapp will not show up. Really depends on what you want.

I'm currently waiting for a custom rom that lets me underclock the cpu when the phone is on battery power and vice versa when the phone is on charge. I'm also hoping for a rom that lets me tailor the individual apps that can use background data transfer.



http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2509655

I've heard good things regarding battery life, underclocking, etc from this kernel.
NIJ
Profile Joined March 2010
1012 Posts
November 20 2013 21:22 GMT
#364
The battery life is phenomenal on standby. I still have my verizon's phone alive for a month so I find myself not using the nex5 all that much yet. I could probably go a week without charging idk.

When turned on, its a different story and not any worse off than any other smartphone out there, but don't expect any dramatic improvements. I still have all the settings not set to conserve battery due ti how well it performs when phone is left alone, so when I start only using this phone I'm gonna have to tinker with things like brightness, syncing and all that usual stuff to milk the best out of the phone.
Act of thinking logically cannot possibly be natural to the human mind. If it were, then mathematics would be everybody's easiest course at school and our species would not have taken several millennia to figure out the scientific method -NDT
andyrau
Profile Joined December 2010
13015 Posts
November 20 2013 22:14 GMT
#365
for those wondering about battery life, anandtech did a benchmark for their unreleased review. here are the numbers before they took them down:

Wifi Browsing: 10.83
2g/3g browsing: 6.436
4g lte browsing: 6.929

Compare the results here:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SmartPhone13/786

matches up very well with the lgg2, which has a 3000mAh battery compared to the n5's 2300. Wi-Fi browsing hours actually beats out the iPhone.

I suspect this has something to do with the optimizations for 4.4 and we'll see battery life jump across the board for android devices.
"Zai is legitimately not as good as bulba." | kaipi ti3 champions
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
November 20 2013 22:30 GMT
#366
That's interesting since most others have reported the complete opposite.
Maxhster
Profile Joined March 2011
Fiji473 Posts
November 21 2013 22:49 GMT
#367
just installed the unofficial android 4.4 CM mod for my SGS (I-9000) damn, feels like a brand new phone. I really have no need to upgrade because it runs everything i need smoothly. My phone also doesnt have a chipped frame like you see on a lot of SGS3, i wonder why build quality went so far down since Samsung made my phone.
rawr
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
November 21 2013 23:28 GMT
#368
The SGS can run 4.4?! Wow, I am extremely impressed.
Moderator
andyrau
Profile Joined December 2010
13015 Posts
November 22 2013 03:48 GMT
#369
lowering system requirements to decrease fragmentation of the ecosystem was one of the main changes in 4.4
android is compatible with devices that have as little as 512mb in ram
"Zai is legitimately not as good as bulba." | kaipi ti3 champions
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-22 04:25:03
November 22 2013 04:23 GMT
#370
On November 22 2013 07:49 Maxhster wrote:
just installed the unofficial android 4.4 CM mod for my SGS (I-9000) damn, feels like a brand new phone. I really have no need to upgrade because it runs everything i need smoothly. My phone also doesnt have a chipped frame like you see on a lot of SGS3, i wonder why build quality went so far down since Samsung made my phone.
I once accidentally threw (more like a toss. I lost grip trying to swat a mosquito with my non-phone holding fingers) mine a good 10 feet or so into a wall (it also bounced off the floor). Not even a scratch on it. Those things were rock solid. Way more solid feeling than any of the new Samsung devices. I should try installing 4.4 on it. I've got nothing to lose, I never use it anyway.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
November 22 2013 06:53 GMT
#371
On November 22 2013 12:48 andyrau wrote:
lowering system requirements to decrease fragmentation of the ecosystem was one of the main changes in 4.4
android is compatible with devices that have as little as 512mb in ram

I was aware they did this, but did not realise they had done it to the extent that a four year old device would be able to run it.
Moderator
Mostha
Profile Joined March 2013
Netherlands63 Posts
November 22 2013 11:21 GMT
#372
So i've got my Galaxy sIII for some time now, and I noticed I'm still on android 4.1.2.
I've noticed amongst my friends with the same phone nobody has an android version higher than 4.1.2
anyone knows something about this?
maartendq
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Belgium3115 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-22 12:27:45
November 22 2013 12:26 GMT
#373
On November 22 2013 15:53 Firebolt145 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 22 2013 12:48 andyrau wrote:
lowering system requirements to decrease fragmentation of the ecosystem was one of the main changes in 4.4
android is compatible with devices that have as little as 512mb in ram

I was aware they did this, but did not realise they had done it to the extent that a four year old device would be able to run it.

Those four-year old devices probably have better hardware than 2013 mid-range phones. They're flagship phones for a reason, they don't age as badly as cheaper ones.

I wouldn't be surprised that Android 4.1 and onwards is a far leaner operating system than any version before that. I used to have a Galaxy S2, and it ran 4.1.2 a lot better than it ran 2.3. It's already as feature-rich as it can get so the developers can focus on optimisation.

@Mostha: Galaxy S3 will be upgraded to 4.3, but I don't know when. The upgrade doesn't really add a lot of extra functionality, so unless you suffer from performance issues, you don't miss out on much.
NIJ
Profile Joined March 2010
1012 Posts
November 22 2013 16:47 GMT
#374
On November 22 2013 20:21 Mostha wrote:
So i've got my Galaxy sIII for some time now, and I noticed I'm still on android 4.1.2.
I've noticed amongst my friends with the same phone nobody has an android version higher than 4.1.2
anyone knows something about this?

That's typical when you rely on OEM/carriers for your updates. Its not that far fetched to be behind 2-3 major updates.
Act of thinking logically cannot possibly be natural to the human mind. If it were, then mathematics would be everybody's easiest course at school and our species would not have taken several millennia to figure out the scientific method -NDT
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
November 22 2013 18:30 GMT
#375
SIII 4.3 updates seem to be rolling out this weekend. You could of course always try a custom ROM to keep up to date. My old HTC desire was on 4.3 thanks to the efforts of these rom authors.

for my nexus 5, my battery life has been pretty good. considering the size and comparison to other phones like the s4.
starleague forever
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
November 29 2013 21:50 GMT
#376
Hmm. Mine just shipped so I'm excitedly awaiting it. Had to pay $5 to change destination as I shipped it to anticipated a 2-3 week, not 10 day turnaround.
speakerbox
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada453 Posts
November 30 2013 00:45 GMT
#377
Nexus 4 + nova launcher + background changer

Me loveeeeee
twin anchors houseboats
usedtocare
Profile Joined August 2013
United States243 Posts
November 30 2013 01:02 GMT
#378
I have Nexus 4 and it is the best investment I've ever made. Given the ridic low price and specs and that I get the newest android running flawlessly - I don't even know why I would want to change to anything else right now. Feels and acts brand new.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
November 30 2013 03:08 GMT
#379
On November 30 2013 10:02 usedtocare wrote:
I have Nexus 4 and it is the best investment I've ever made. Given the ridic low price and specs and that I get the newest android running flawlessly - I don't even know why I would want to change to anything else right now. Feels and acts brand new.

Am I dreaming or did the 4.4 update extend my battery life? My usage is very inconsistent but these days, I go to bed and I still have 30-50% in my battery. I used to end up with 5 to 20%, sometimes 30% on a slow day.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
usedtocare
Profile Joined August 2013
United States243 Posts
November 30 2013 03:38 GMT
#380
On November 30 2013 12:08 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2013 10:02 usedtocare wrote:
I have Nexus 4 and it is the best investment I've ever made. Given the ridic low price and specs and that I get the newest android running flawlessly - I don't even know why I would want to change to anything else right now. Feels and acts brand new.

Am I dreaming or did the 4.4 update extend my battery life? My usage is very inconsistent but these days, I go to bed and I still have 30-50% in my battery. I used to end up with 5 to 20%, sometimes 30% on a slow day.


I think it did... I browse a lot and use GPS and it lasts noticeably longer now. Really good update it seems.
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs KrystianerLIVE!
TBD vs Percival
CranKy Ducklings146
CranKy Ducklings SOOP46
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko395
ProTech127
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 4060
Jaedong 2662
Leta 1366
actioN 1061
EffOrt 647
Horang2 582
Soma 431
Killer 391
BeSt 380
Mini 240
[ Show more ]
Stork 216
Rush 189
Pusan 159
Light 127
Zeus 125
Barracks 118
Snow 94
Larva 87
ggaemo 74
JYJ 69
Mong 51
Sea.KH 49
ToSsGirL 43
HiyA 42
hero 40
Bale 35
Sharp 27
Shinee 24
zelot 18
sorry 15
Sexy 12
Noble 9
Sacsri 9
JulyZerg 7
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6165
Dendi723
XaKoH 403
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_70
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes3428
Other Games
gofns37946
singsing1616
olofmeister1273
B2W.Neo589
byalli541
Livibee191
OGKoka 105
ArmadaUGS75
DeMusliM14
Organizations
StarCraft 2
WardiTV359
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream291
Other Games
BasetradeTV187
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV254
League of Legends
• Jankos1689
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
11h 35m
Kung Fu Cup
22h 35m
The PondCast
1d 21h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.