• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:51
CEST 16:51
KST 23:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8419 users

Google Android discussion - Page 18

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 86 Next
Aerisky
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States12129 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-04 22:55:23
November 04 2013 22:54 GMT
#341
Sucks because I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on verizon and would be loathe to switch off--I consume very large amounts of data each month :/ Verizon's coverage isn't even particularly good for me for some reason, but the speeds are great and I have the unlimited data plan for a comparatively low price. Their policies are otherwise extremely shitty though, and I hope they get improved... I also hope a good device comes out on verizon soon, though I'll have to buy it unlocked to keep the plan.
Jim while Johnny had had had had had had had; had had had had the better effect on the teacher.
NIJ
Profile Joined March 2010
1012 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-04 23:03:06
November 04 2013 22:54 GMT
#342
On November 05 2013 07:34 rawb wrote:
If the only thing dissuading you from using the t-mobile plan is the 100 minute cap, you could just jump on their 70$ unlimited data plan as signal strength is the only other real reason I could see NOT to use T-mobile with a nexus device. It beats any other carrier's price by quite a bit, you can bring your own device, and it does not include a contract. That's what I plan on doing as the throttling after 5GB of data is no good for me.


Yeah defintely. I'mma see how 100min works out cause it saves me quite a bit if it could work for me, but if i need to i can bump to even 2.5gb reg plan since my data usage isn't that high. Although on rare months i do sometimes go over quite a bit (streams for those special events / big updates etc) but it doesnt happen that much to really need unlimited every month. Because im not on contract i could switch plans on a monthly basis if i wanted to. the beauty of no contract woot.

On November 05 2013 07:54 Aerisky wrote:
Sucks because I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on verizon and would be loathe to switch off--I consume very large amounts of data each month :/ Verizon's coverage isn't even particularly good for me for some reason, but the speeds are great and I have the unlimited data plan for a comparatively low price. Their policies are otherwise extremely shitty though, and I hope they get improved... I also hope a good device comes out on verizon soon, though I'll have to buy it unlocked to keep the plan.


my friend has tmobile and he actually gets better connections indoors than me in SOME places where i live. Verizon defintely is the best overall tho and maybe his phone just has better antennae /shrug. Buying an unsubsidized phone would pretty much ruin that comparative price that you enjoy anyway. At that point the only benefit you would get is the fact that you can have unlimited as verizon as your carrier.
Act of thinking logically cannot possibly be natural to the human mind. If it were, then mathematics would be everybody's easiest course at school and our species would not have taken several millennia to figure out the scientific method -NDT
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-04 23:25:29
November 04 2013 23:15 GMT
#343
On November 04 2013 17:00 bluegarfield wrote:
hmm actually what concerns me more is the lack of timely update (or too slow that is) to latest android version. Also, watching movies and playing games on tablet is kinda a secondary need when I'm travelling long distance or too lazy to turn on my comp. Taking note with a pen is definitely useful, and a tablet saves me the trouble of carry tonnes of notes around.
I occasionally do graphic, drawing, animation and stuff, just not frequent enough (like a project or two every 2-3 months) to justify a wacom bamboo. so i was thinking of getting a multi-purpose tablet for daily uses and convert it to a makeshift tablet input to draw my stuff when needed, hence the S Pen is appealing. if only other tablet like nexus 7 also support digitizer pen

Show nested quote +
On November 04 2013 17:17 Jibba wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what heavy tablet usage constitutes though, aside from gaming. It's never been slow for browsing. The pen used to have added delay when using it in multi-window mode with a PDF open (not a PPT though) but 4.2.2 fixed that.

I can try loading double browser windows with Flash or something later.


may be it's my bad wording or I misread your reply but by too slow update I mean non-stock android are often way behind in new updates, that's why I like nexus 7 ( and any device that run stock android)

I know, but why do you actually want the fastest updates? What do they actually provide for you?

There's not many reliability issues. It'll provide some speed and interface changes. I'm not saying KitKat is worse, because it's definitely better. I'm saying for the basic things I described, speed and reliability aren't a factor yet. Don't want the latest version just for the sake of having the latest version.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
rawb
Profile Joined September 2010
United States252 Posts
November 05 2013 00:27 GMT
#344
On November 05 2013 07:54 NIJ wrote:my friend has tmobile and he actually gets better connections indoors than me in SOME places where i live.



http://i.imgur.com/6X7hKsT.jpg

I've got a LG G2 for the interim (last thursday to tomorrow) as I bailed on Verizon before they could bill me for another month. Going to return it when I swap the sim to my Nexus tomorrow, but I got this in an area that usually sees 10-12 down with Verizon's LTE.
NIJ
Profile Joined March 2010
1012 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-05 00:32:44
November 05 2013 00:28 GMT
#345
well if you ask me, getting the latest os update provides the biggest bang for your buck. You could buy a mid to low range device and never update and reliability issue would still be solved in this day and age. Anything that runs on 4.x is fine and all in that terms, but most people like their device to do more than bare necessities. Especially if they're buying flagship devices. Its ridiculous that they cannot get timely updates on those.

That's why at least I value stock android. I cant update hardware as often, but software can be updated many times during the lifespan of the device to unlock more features. I don't want to be stuck 2 updates behind when my device could be doing much more with it. Not all the new updates benefit me per se, but I find wanting most of them anyway. these devices depreciate fast, and months without new update puts quite a hit on the value of your device imo.

On November 05 2013 09:27 rawb wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 05 2013 07:54 NIJ wrote:my friend has tmobile and he actually gets better connections indoors than me in SOME places where i live.



http://i.imgur.com/6X7hKsT.jpg



so hyped. nice.
Act of thinking logically cannot possibly be natural to the human mind. If it were, then mathematics would be everybody's easiest course at school and our species would not have taken several millennia to figure out the scientific method -NDT
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-05 01:10:49
November 05 2013 01:10 GMT
#346
Right, but we're talking about a device with a feature that literally no other tablet has (besides its bigger brother.) If you need pen support, are the benefits of KitKat over Jellybean really going to outweigh that?

It seems like missing the forest for the trees.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
bluegarfield
Profile Joined December 2010
Singapore1128 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-05 01:39:27
November 05 2013 01:36 GMT
#347
ah ye, latest android update is kinda an excuse for me to consider nexus 7 I guess, since I haven't even update my windows to 8.1 yet. And while I'm not in urgent need of a tablet yet, I will have a chance to get nexus 7 from USA at a (much?) cheaper price than here in Singapore in 2 weeks time, and that's what makes me consider getting one now. But I can wait till new year for new release of note 8 may be, or even
this
and pen is a hugeeeeeee plus, but still not 100000% must have @@ i don't even know what I want

ELqQQT_T
andyrau
Profile Joined December 2010
13015 Posts
November 05 2013 05:37 GMT
#348
apparently there's going to be an 8inch nexus tablet soon.
http://www.gizbot.com/computer/google-nexus-8-image-leak-reveals-8-inch-display-more-news-014360.html

also the new Hangouts is pretty nifty, but it still falls behind iMessage because it fails to combine different conversations with the same contact. ie, if you talk to George through Google+ and SMS, Hangouts is too stupid to combine the two conversations and will segregate the two in their respective mediums of communication

regarding TMo reception, I found out recently that the spectrum apparently penetrates buildings/walls worse than other wavelengths. My friend states that he gets less reception at the center of his office, but gets fantastic reception near the sides/windows.
"Zai is legitimately not as good as bulba." | kaipi ti3 champions
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
November 05 2013 09:18 GMT
#349
On November 05 2013 14:37 andyrau wrote:
apparently there's going to be an 8inch nexus tablet soon.
http://www.gizbot.com/computer/google-nexus-8-image-leak-reveals-8-inch-display-more-news-014360.html

also the new Hangouts is pretty nifty, but it still falls behind iMessage because it fails to combine different conversations with the same contact. ie, if you talk to George through Google+ and SMS, Hangouts is too stupid to combine the two conversations and will segregate the two in their respective mediums of communication

regarding TMo reception, I found out recently that the spectrum apparently penetrates buildings/walls worse than other wavelengths. My friend states that he gets less reception at the center of his office, but gets fantastic reception near the sides/windows.

In regards to reception that seems to be the case.
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
November 07 2013 16:16 GMT
#350
nexus 5 has arrived :D
starleague forever
clusen
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany8702 Posts
November 07 2013 16:37 GMT
#351
On November 08 2013 01:16 a176 wrote:
nexus 5 has arrived :D

Mine arrived aswell, luckily my screen doesn't show a yellowish white out of the box like a few other people reported.
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
November 08 2013 14:18 GMT
#352
So I think my trusty Galaxy S2 of two years has died on me... won't turn on at all. Have a feeling it's a dead battery but it's the weekend and I won't be able to get a new battery in to test it until Monday at the latest...
Commentator
phar
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1080 Posts
November 09 2013 00:51 GMT
#353
You tried just leaving it plugged in (preferably to a wall charger) for many many hours? I've had a tablet and cell phone both be seemingly dead, but come back with no problems after a looooonggg charge.
Who after all is today speaking about the destruction of the Armenians?
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
November 13 2013 19:00 GMT
#354
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Leeto
Profile Joined August 2007
United States1320 Posts
November 15 2013 02:23 GMT
#355
So carriers such as tmobile are selling the Nexus 5 for 100$ more than from google play store at 450$ for the 16gb version. Why would anyone spend an extra 100$ AND get locked into a contract when they can get an unlocked one directly from google for 100$ less?
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
November 16 2013 03:29 GMT
#356
You don't sign a contract when you buy the phone outright... unless T-Mobile is like one of a kind retarded carrier.
rob.au
Profile Joined May 2010
1087 Posts
November 16 2013 08:43 GMT
#357
On November 15 2013 11:23 Leeto wrote:
So carriers such as tmobile are selling the Nexus 5 for 100$ more than from google play store at 450$ for the 16gb version. Why would anyone spend an extra 100$ AND get locked into a contract when they can get an unlocked one directly from google for 100$ less?

Play store sold out? no play store shopfront?
Conti
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany2516 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-16 12:44:31
November 16 2013 12:44 GMT
#358
On November 15 2013 11:23 Leeto wrote:
So carriers such as tmobile are selling the Nexus 5 for 100$ more than from google play store at 450$ for the 16gb version. Why would anyone spend an extra 100$ AND get locked into a contract when they can get an unlocked one directly from google for 100$ less?

Because the play store will soon be sold out, and people don't want to wait. It's a simply supply and demand issue.
rawb
Profile Joined September 2010
United States252 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-16 13:38:57
November 16 2013 13:09 GMT
#359
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57611582-94/heres-why-t-mobiles-nexus-5-is-$100-more-than-at-google-play/

Google might just be subsidizing it when they sell it, knowing they get quite a bit on average since a lot of the content will tend to go through their market as well.

Related, here's something I remembered from the original Nexus 7's launch:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/09/nexus-7-component-costs/
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-16 14:51:04
November 16 2013 14:36 GMT
#360
It wouldn't surprise me if Google is actually subsidizing it, but I really don't understand why. Everything goes through their system no matter what and in most cases, they already have people's CC's tied to their Play accounts, especially for the target market of the N5.

Maybe they gave T-Mobile/Sprint and co. a crap ton of money to cover marketing expenses or are doing it themselves? I guess they'll get to cleanup the unaware customers for a while. Still, even for Google this is going pretty far in annoying your partners.

First they alienate the OEMs with the Nexus 4, now they're alienating the stores with the Nexus 5.

Just to compare, Best Buy takes a loss on all the Apple products they sell, because they have to buy them at MSRP. The only reason they do it is to draw customers through the rest of their store and so they can make money on accessories. I guess T-Mobile/Sprint can make money on the accessories, but that's about it. And getting undercut by them is just kind of crazy.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech141
Codebar 16
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1276
Mini 936
Soma 648
actioN 442
Rush 435
Light 343
Horang2 341
Larva 314
BeSt 291
hero 262
[ Show more ]
Snow 257
Stork 255
ggaemo 224
Barracks 138
firebathero 128
Killer 122
Zeus 98
Aegong 78
Shine 72
Mong 71
JYJ 62
Dewaltoss 52
Sharp 40
ToSsGirL 38
Shinee 37
soO 34
Sexy 32
Bale 28
sorry 16
Terrorterran 16
zelot 16
Rock 15
Sacsri 14
Icarus 9
JulyZerg 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7680
qojqva1759
Dendi707
420jenkins110
Counter-Strike
Fnx 710
x6flipin89
kRYSTAL_71
edward22
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5270
Khaldor513
Other Games
gofns44522
singsing1676
B2W.Neo894
byalli519
Lowko414
DeMusliM225
mouzStarbuck184
Liquid`VortiX165
Mlord155
Livibee153
KnowMe137
ArmadaUGS128
Railgan16
Chillindude16
Trikslyr14
amsayoshi12
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV270
BasetradeTV194
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream179
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 79
• mYiSmile114
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 26
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV400
League of Legends
• Nemesis2071
• Jankos1746
• TFBlade608
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 9m
Kung Fu Cup
20h 9m
The PondCast
1d 19h
OSC
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.