• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:03
CEST 02:03
KST 09:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8757 users

What grinds your gears? - Page 14

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 88 Next
Tektos
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia1321 Posts
August 08 2011 03:24 GMT
#261
On August 08 2011 10:40 Cirn9 wrote:
The Complexity team's tag

Everytime I see it.... COLONEL


Be thankful that you see it as COLONEL.

Every time I see it I think COLON
oldgregg
Profile Joined February 2011
New Zealand1176 Posts
August 08 2011 03:41 GMT
#262
people writing . fuck off i just wanna punch your annoying face
Calculatedly addicted to Substance D for profit by drug terrorists
Supamang
Profile Joined June 2010
United States2298 Posts
August 08 2011 03:50 GMT
#263
On August 08 2011 12:41 oldgregg wrote:
people writing . fuck off i just wanna punch your annoying face

especially after they type some pissed off offensive rant. oh yea, we really believe youre not out of control raging while you type that. is pretty much troll face in emoticon form for some people
Puph
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada635 Posts
August 08 2011 03:53 GMT
#264
On November 16 2005 00:30 1hp wrote:
What grinds your gears?

...

What grinds your gears?


More like who. who. Pea Tear Griffon
Intel Dual Core 4400 @ ~2.00GHz / 2046MB RAM / 256 MB ATI Radeon x1300PRO
Triscuit
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States722 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 04:26:16
August 08 2011 04:25 GMT
#265
On August 08 2011 10:15 Leporello wrote:
If you want to call dubstep the work of "musicians" that's fine, but you're stretching the definition of musician to the Nth degree. Songwriters I can see being a better description, but as such, meh.


I kind of understand you there. I am not musically inclined at all and I would feel weird calling someone who creates dubstep music a "musician." Even someone that just sings isn't really labeled a musician to me. They all fall under the label of "artist." Hip hop and rap artists are almost never called "musicians" even if they do produce their own beats and stuff.

I think it's really more of a weak divide though. Someone that produces music could be called a musician, regardless of the medium.
Kid-Fox
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada400 Posts
August 08 2011 04:30 GMT
#266
"Did you loose the game?"
"He'll let lose."

"He would of made code A, man."
"I certainly think he could of."

"Do you like Sc2 to?"

"Your such a jerk, unpausing on me."
"Where's you're password again?"

"Whose their?"

"140 lings. That's a large amount of zerglings."

"I know I shouldn't do comma splices, it's not proper use of punctuation."
LAN-f34r
Profile Joined December 2010
New Zealand2099 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 04:39:28
August 08 2011 04:34 GMT
#267
On August 08 2011 12:50 Supamang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 12:41 oldgregg wrote:
people writing . fuck off i just wanna punch your annoying face

especially after they type some pissed off offensive rant. oh yea, we really believe youre not out of control raging while you type that. is pretty much troll face in emoticon form for some people


I apologize on behalf of all the people who have at one point attempted to make a sarcastic rant, but made the rant appear too real, so put a "" at the end to show they were joking.

OT: Inaccurate paraphrasing.

EDIT:
On August 08 2011 13:30 Kid-Fox wrote:
"Did you loose the game?"
"He'll let lose."

"He would of made code A, man."
"I certainly think he could of."

"Do you like Sc2 to?"

"Your such a jerk, unpausing on me."
"Where's you're password again?"

"Whose their?"

"140 lings. That's a large amount of zerglings."

"I know I shouldn't do comma splices, it's not proper use of punctuation."


Lojban is for you!
The only barrier to truth is the presumption that you already have it. It's through our pane (pain) we window (win though).
iamahydralisk
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States813 Posts
August 08 2011 04:35 GMT
#268
On August 08 2011 13:30 Kid-Fox wrote:

"140 lings. That's a large amount of zerglings."

what's wrong with this?
"well if youre looking for long term, go safe, if you expect it to end either way, go risky. wow. just like sc2" - friend of mine when I asked him which girl to pick
Supamang
Profile Joined June 2010
United States2298 Posts
August 08 2011 04:39 GMT
#269
On August 08 2011 13:30 Kid-Fox wrote:
"140 lings. That's a large amount of zerglings."

I dont see a problem with this one
uriel-
Profile Joined August 2007
Singapore1867 Posts
August 08 2011 04:46 GMT
#270
On August 08 2011 13:39 Supamang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 13:30 Kid-Fox wrote:
"140 lings. That's a large amount of zerglings."

I dont see a problem with this one



A large "number" of Zerglings. Not "amount". Zerglings are discrete and countable.

It's similar to how "a large number of milk" is obviously wrong.
Vestige
Profile Joined November 2009
United States303 Posts
August 08 2011 04:46 GMT
#271
When I'm trying to click on the what finds your hard thread on my phone but end up pressing the paranormal activity thread
"You'd wish it were hell"
blahman3344
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2015 Posts
August 08 2011 04:50 GMT
#272
The Jersey Shore. As if I didn't have enough reasons to dislike my own state already, the Jersey Shore just adds to it. Also, the fact that such a terrible show still continues to make more episodes upsets me greatly.

/rant
I like haikus and / I can not lie. You other / brothers can't deny
KaiserReinhard
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States554 Posts
August 08 2011 04:55 GMT
#273
On August 08 2011 13:50 blahman3344 wrote:
The Jersey Shore. As if I didn't have enough reasons to dislike my own state already, the Jersey Shore just adds to it. Also, the fact that such a terrible show still continues to make more episodes upsets me greatly.

/rant


When people type 3 sentences and think it constitutes a rant.

twitch.tv/imkirok
Scarecrow
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Korea (South)9175 Posts
August 08 2011 04:59 GMT
#274
Grammar nazi's who think they're intellectuals because they paid attention in high school

Politicians who spin the truth and the voters who believe it

Hipsters and wankers in general

PvP
Yhamm is the god of predictions
Whyzguy
Profile Joined June 2008
Canada263 Posts
August 08 2011 05:07 GMT
#275
QUOTE]On August 08 2011 10:31 LegendaryZ wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On August 08 2011 10:15 Leporello wrote:
I don't find it that hard. If I ask a guy playing an electric synthesizer to end his song on a triad, they can do that. Because they're playing an instrument, even if it is laden with electronics. Therefore, they're a musician.

So let's say that a guy is creating dubstep music with his MPC and knows what a triad is (which has nothing to do with being a musician), would he be a musician by your definition then? What about a person who plays the blues on guitar that doesn't know anything about music theory? Is he a musician?


If I ask someone writing a dubstep song to end it with a triad, they'd probably think I'm talking about an asian mafia gang.

Are you trying to say that just because someone creates dubstep, they don't know what a triad is? Where are you even getting this stuff?



It can be the case that you annotate music via a computer. That's fine. But that's not how most electronic music is made -- such as dubstep or "samples" you here in electronic dance music. Those "melodies" are often made by the computer to conform to whatever beat the author dictates. And those beats or rhythms are rarely if ever outside basic 4/4 time. I've never heard 7/8 dubstep. I'm not sure that'd ever be possible, and it's sound like a trainwreck.

Samples are only one part of creating electronic music. You're leaving out all the work that goes into picking out the right samples to use and putting those samples together in a way that fits what you're trying to do. Whether they stray from common time or not has nothing to do with the musicianship of the music and everything to do with the genre. How many 7/8 rock songs or blues songs do you know of? I'll give you a hint, 7/8 is a shit time signature to dance to or do just about anything else to...

Also I don't even know what you mean by melodies being made by the computer. No computer I've ever used has created a melody for me. I've had to create the beats, bass lines, melody, keyboard parts, guitar parts, record vocals, and find, chop, edit, and place samples. You really think all that is any less work than any other "musician" does?


If you want to call dubstep the work of "musicians" that's fine, but you're stretching the definition of musician to the Nth degree. Songwriters I can see being a better description, but as such, meh.

And yes, I read and annotate music on the computer (never written anything original though, as I need more years of understanding musical theory to really feel comfortable).

Electronic music goes beyond just composition, recording, and producing. There's a very big live element that exists in many instances. To call these people "songwriters" when they're often doing much more than simply writing is really not doing justice to their work or their abilities.

I get it, you don't like dubstep. Personally, I don't pretend to understand it either. It sounds like shit to me, but you're letting that dislike lead you to making a lot of unfounded assumptions and judgments about both the genre and its artists. You're also holding the term "musician" up to some magical definition that seems to mean nothing other than that you acknowledge them. Where do you think all of the beats and instrument parts in electronic music are coming from? Do you seriously think everything is sampled? People are playing them with their MIDI keyboard or whatever. Seriously, who the hell sits there and pencils stuff in?

I'll just leave this here so people can see that electronic music is a lot more than just sitting at a computer with a keyboard and mouse..



(And yes, I've recently started using the Maschine and I absolutely love it.)
[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of things you touch on in your replies and it's valid. I think what gets people the most is the interaction between human and sound. Traditionally, humans act upon an instrument and the sound is what results from the human-instrument interaction. Very straightforward. In the case of electronic music, humans act upon both the instrument and the sound. Though I can't put past myself the idea that pressing a key on the piano should be considered the same as pressing a button on the maschine mentioned, I don't know how to explain that feeling and can only concede that the human to instrument interaction is the same in both electronic and non-electronic music.

However, the fact that the sound in electronic music is manipulated still stands. There are many things that are done to the sound directly such as reverb etc. in which case, there are two instances of instruments that create one discreet sound. Without going too much further, there is a clear distinction between creating sound and manipulating sound. Why someone would manipulate it into the sounds of dubstep confuses me on a personal level.

NOW

Back to the thread.

What grinds my gears (and fingers) is blister packaging (see picture)

[image loading]
"He who throws dirt, is losing ground." - Fortune Cookie [May 2011]
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
August 08 2011 05:21 GMT
#276
On August 08 2011 10:31 LegendaryZ wrote:


I'll just leave this here so people can see that electronic music is a lot more than just sitting at a computer with a keyboard and mouse..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqUb3-tRs_A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdFlFxJFnfY

(And yes, I've recently started using the Maschine and I absolutely love it.)



I wish you didn't show me that. That wasn't impressive at all. In fact, I thought it was much more difficult, I'm pretty naive to electronic music creation. That's pretty sad. In the end I don't care, I'm a fan of some electronic music mostly dubstep but wow that was kind of pathetic.

I'm a death metal guitarist though who listens to mostly tech death so I'm kind of an elitist I guess. :[
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
sdonizam
Profile Joined August 2011
Afghanistan15 Posts
August 08 2011 05:24 GMT
#277
--- Nuked ---
LaLLsc2
Profile Joined September 2010
United States502 Posts
August 08 2011 05:26 GMT
#278
War, religious intolerance and racist people. Seems we're a world full of haters, and haters gonna hate.
Live and Let Live
dLKnighT
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada735 Posts
August 08 2011 05:27 GMT
#279
When people don't use the right "you're" or "your".
Barack Obama
Profile Joined August 2011
27 Posts
August 08 2011 05:40 GMT
#280
People who throw the word 'troll' around whenever they disagree with something someone's written.
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 88 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings84
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O149
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 135
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 833
ZZZero.O 149
Bale 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm200
League of Legends
Doublelift6263
JimRising 823
Other Games
summit1g10060
FrodaN3097
C9.Mang0243
KnowMe146
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1178
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP92
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 57m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 57m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 57m
Replay Cast
22h 57m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.