• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:26
CEST 05:26
KST 12:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9773 users

What grinds your gears? - Page 13

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 88 Next
Moobutt
Profile Joined May 2011
United States1996 Posts
August 08 2011 01:08 GMT
#241
Starving African people who live in the middle of a desert. <3 Kinison
3/22/16 The Day EG Died
Esel
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany151 Posts
August 08 2011 01:12 GMT
#242

obvsly
i like sc2 more than wc3 because of its mind games , in wc3 the only mind game you could do is go for a different hero than normal to make your opponent thing you are retarded
Leporello
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2845 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 01:15:18
August 08 2011 01:15 GMT
#243
On August 08 2011 10:02 LegendaryZ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 09:54 Leporello wrote:
A musician plays an instrument.

Two problems with this. The first is that a musician doesn't necessarily play and instrument. The second is even if you were to use that definition, you could make serious and perfectly legitimate arguments about what exactly counts as an instrument.


I don't find it that hard. If I ask a guy playing an electric synthesizer to end his song on a triad, they can do that. Because they're playing an instrument, even if it is laden with electronics. Therefore, they're a musician.

If I ask someone writing a dubstep song to end it with a triad, they'd probably think I'm talking about an asian mafia gang.

Show nested quote +
When it comes to electronic music, the computer is more the author of the music than anything.

This is a pretty common misconception and usually made by people with little to no experience in actually creating electronic music. The computer and software are just tools that you use to bring your ideas to life. The inspiration and actual content still originates in the mind of the musician.

There's really quite a lot that goes into it. It just happens to be quite different from the traditional process that we tend to associate with music composition and creation. But that's really what technology does. It changes the way we write, record, perform, and experience music.

It can be the case that you annotate music via a computer. That's fine. But that's not how most electronic music is made -- such as dubstep or "samples" you here in electronic dance music. Those "melodies" are often made by the computer to conform to whatever beat the author dictates. And those beats or rhythms are rarely if ever outside basic 4/4 time. I've never heard 7/8 dubstep. I'm not sure that'd ever be possible, and it's sound like a trainwreck.

If you want to call dubstep the work of "musicians" that's fine, but you're stretching the definition of musician to the Nth degree. Songwriters I can see being a better description, but as such, meh.

And yes, I read and annotate music on the computer (never written anything original though, as I need more years of understanding musical theory to really feel comfortable).
Big water
harDmug
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United Kingdom116 Posts
August 08 2011 01:22 GMT
#244
Grammar Nazis t_t
LegendaryZ
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1583 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 01:49:33
August 08 2011 01:31 GMT
#245
On August 08 2011 10:15 Leporello wrote:
I don't find it that hard. If I ask a guy playing an electric synthesizer to end his song on a triad, they can do that. Because they're playing an instrument, even if it is laden with electronics. Therefore, they're a musician.

So let's say that a guy is creating dubstep music with his MPC and knows what a triad is (which has nothing to do with being a musician), would he be a musician by your definition then? What about a person who plays the blues on guitar that doesn't know anything about music theory? Is he a musician?


If I ask someone writing a dubstep song to end it with a triad, they'd probably think I'm talking about an asian mafia gang.

Are you trying to say that just because someone creates dubstep, they don't know what a triad is? Where are you even getting this stuff?



It can be the case that you annotate music via a computer. That's fine. But that's not how most electronic music is made -- such as dubstep or "samples" you here in electronic dance music. Those "melodies" are often made by the computer to conform to whatever beat the author dictates. And those beats or rhythms are rarely if ever outside basic 4/4 time. I've never heard 7/8 dubstep. I'm not sure that'd ever be possible, and it's sound like a trainwreck.

Samples are only one part of creating electronic music. You're leaving out all the work that goes into picking out the right samples to use and putting those samples together in a way that fits what you're trying to do. Whether they stray from common time or not has nothing to do with the musicianship of the music and everything to do with the genre. How many 7/8 rock songs or blues songs do you know of? I'll give you a hint, 7/8 is a shit time signature to dance to or do just about anything else to...

Also I don't even know what you mean by melodies being made by the computer. No computer I've ever used has created a melody for me. I've had to create the beats, bass lines, melody, keyboard parts, guitar parts, record vocals, and find, chop, edit, and place samples. You really think all that is any less work than any other "musician" does?


If you want to call dubstep the work of "musicians" that's fine, but you're stretching the definition of musician to the Nth degree. Songwriters I can see being a better description, but as such, meh.

And yes, I read and annotate music on the computer (never written anything original though, as I need more years of understanding musical theory to really feel comfortable).

Electronic music goes beyond just composition, recording, and producing. There's a very big live element that exists in many instances. To call these people "songwriters" when they're often doing much more than simply writing is really not doing justice to their work or their abilities.

I get it, you don't like dubstep. Personally, I don't pretend to understand it either. It sounds like shit to me, but you're letting that dislike lead you to making a lot of unfounded assumptions and judgments about both the genre and its artists. You're also holding the term "musician" up to some magical definition that seems to mean nothing other than that you acknowledge them. Where do you think all of the beats and instrument parts in electronic music are coming from? Do you seriously think everything is sampled? People are playing them with their MIDI keyboard or whatever. Seriously, who the hell sits there and pencils stuff in?

I'll just leave this here so people can see that electronic music is a lot more than just sitting at a computer with a keyboard and mouse..



(And yes, I've recently started using the Maschine and I absolutely love it.)
Cirn9
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
1117 Posts
August 08 2011 01:40 GMT
#246
The Complexity team's tag

Everytime I see it.... COLONEL
Unprotected sex is like fast expanding in close positions. Its risky, but feels great when it works out
Divergence
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada363 Posts
August 08 2011 02:15 GMT
#247
People who are highly opinionated about music despite being extremely ignorant (this applies to a lot of Dubstep haters of course).
Zealotdriver
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1557 Posts
August 08 2011 02:25 GMT
#248
On August 08 2011 10:40 Cirn9 wrote:
The Complexity team's tag

Everytime I see it.... COLONEL

Cannot be unseen. Thanks man.
Turn off the radio
Cirn9
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
1117 Posts
August 08 2011 02:36 GMT
#249
On August 08 2011 11:25 Zealotdriver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 10:40 Cirn9 wrote:
The Complexity team's tag

Everytime I see it.... COLONEL

Cannot be unseen. Thanks man.


I can't be the only one who looks at the sidebar and always thinks "Oh, Colonel Catz is streaming.... DAMNIT, Complexity Catz!"
Unprotected sex is like fast expanding in close positions. Its risky, but feels great when it works out
Zealotdriver
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1557 Posts
August 08 2011 02:48 GMT
#250
On August 08 2011 11:36 Cirn9 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 11:25 Zealotdriver wrote:
On August 08 2011 10:40 Cirn9 wrote:
The Complexity team's tag

Everytime I see it.... COLONEL

Cannot be unseen. Thanks man.


I can't be the only one who looks at the sidebar and always thinks "Oh, Colonel Catz is streaming.... DAMNIT, Complexity Catz!"

In my head I pronounced it like "coal." Now it will be forever colonel.
Turn off the radio
hpty603
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States262 Posts
August 08 2011 02:58 GMT
#251
When people spell 'lose' as 'loose.' I'm not a grammar nazi and if you're not a native English speaker, it's cool. However, I don't think a single one of my friends can properly spell 'lose.' It bothers me to no end
I only play 2v2 to see how much of the map I can turn purple ~ Jinro
Chargelot
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
2275 Posts
August 08 2011 03:00 GMT
#252
On August 08 2011 11:36 Cirn9 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 11:25 Zealotdriver wrote:
On August 08 2011 10:40 Cirn9 wrote:
The Complexity team's tag

Everytime I see it.... COLONEL

Cannot be unseen. Thanks man.


I can't be the only one who looks at the sidebar and always thinks "Oh, Colonel Catz is streaming.... DAMNIT, Complexity Catz!"


Seriously, happens to me every time. I just call them colonel now. I don't even care. It's a cute nickname for them.
if (post == "stupid") { document.getElementById('post').style.display = 'none'; }
KimJongChill
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6429 Posts
August 08 2011 03:07 GMT
#253
just heard this on the news: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2012131/Teens-accused-race-hate-murder-went-looking-victim-James-Craig-Anderson.html

Basically, a bunch of 18 year old teenagers decided to find a black man and kill him for fun. They found this 47 year old man, beat him, and then ran over him with a truck. The driver apparently bragged to his friend about the murder. I can't believe how such trash can still exist in this world.
MMA: U realise MMA: Most of my army EgIdra: fuck off MMA: Killed my orbital MMA: LOL MMA: just saying MMA: u werent loss
iamahydralisk
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States813 Posts
August 08 2011 03:10 GMT
#254
know what really grinds my gears? playing team games and having obvious noobs trying to tell you how to play. feels so good when you end up carrying the team and they're forced to own up though (although they almost never do)
"well if youre looking for long term, go safe, if you expect it to end either way, go risky. wow. just like sc2" - friend of mine when I asked him which girl to pick
Canonicalcheese
Profile Joined May 2011
43 Posts
August 08 2011 03:13 GMT
#255
/casting bloodlust

In your face commercials that come without warning, combine that with the loudness of an elephant trump right next to your ear just as you doze off watching some nature show on NGC. Hate is a strong word, but I HATE commercials with a passion. And the person who's responsible for conjuring up the idea of repeating the same horse manure in 1 commercial block (sometimes even twice!) should be hung by his balls.

the bloodlust wears off...
Darkness descends...
redFF
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States3910 Posts
August 08 2011 03:13 GMT
#256
On August 08 2011 09:35 Durp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 09:31 Divergence wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has said Dubstep.

Of all the music subcultures this one appears to have the most haters. It seems like a very polarizing genre.

This for me, or more specifically, people who "create" dubstep and call themselves musicians- though most are incapable of actually playing an instrument for themselves.

you dont have to play an instrument to be a musician...
th2pun1sh3r
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States107 Posts
August 08 2011 03:17 GMT
#257
On November 16 2005 00:30 1hp wrote:
What grinds your gears?

For me, its when my butt sweats.

What grinds your gears?




awesome.. truly awesome.

this post made my day
"Rank-1 Master Random Sc2 Player"
Mykill
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada3402 Posts
August 08 2011 03:18 GMT
#258
Musicians who just sample and "create" music, I'm sorry I'm all for dubstep/remix but a large majority of mashups are stupid.
Covers. Are basically.
1. buy a guitar
2. learn a few chords
3. upload to youtube. yayyyy success.
The whole online music industry seriously bothers me, my friends dragged me to take a picture with this Jason Chen, whom I've seen only once and it was in person. Friends blabbed on about how good he is at COVERING music. wtf...

also just write a love song.
[~~The Impossible Leads To Invention~~] CJ Entusman #52 The problem with internet quotations is that they are hard to verify -Abraham Lincoln c.1863
Tweleve
Profile Joined March 2011
United States644 Posts
August 08 2011 03:20 GMT
#259
On August 08 2011 10:04 Stress wrote:
1. Large Federal Government.
2. Welfare and other "entitlement" programs.
3. People who can't chew their food with their mouth closed.
4. People who drive below the speed limit in the left hand lane.


I agree so much with #3. I want to punch people in the face when I see that.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Chocolate
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2350 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 03:29:59
August 08 2011 03:23 GMT
#260
On August 08 2011 10:40 Cirn9 wrote:
The Complexity team's tag

Everytime I see it.... COLONEL

Yeah first time I saw CrunCher I was like Colonel Cruncher, that's kinda catchy.
Now it cannot be unseen.

Also:
Then and than, to and too, there and their- If English is your native language and you do not know the differences between these then you must have a problem
People who chew with mouth open/smack lips loudly when eating-This seriously makes me want to hurt someone and I have no idea why, guess it's just disgusting.
People who BM you for no reason-If you are insecure enough to take your anger out on some random dude on the internet then you also have a problem.

Needed to get that off my chest .
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 88 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 178
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1943
GuemChi 1433
NotJumperer 169
910 72
Bale 28
ajuk12(nOOB) 16
Terrorterran 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm193
febbydoto13
Counter-Strike
taco 458
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King29
Other Games
summit1g7656
Doublelift1412
JimRising 612
C9.Mang0376
PiGStarcraft291
WinterStarcraft244
Maynarde119
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick992
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter1412
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo698
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 34m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
7h 34m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
20h 34m
Patches Events
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.