• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:05
CEST 06:05
KST 13:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)26Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8303 users

If you're seeing this topic then another mass shooting hap…

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 745 746 747 748 749 891 Next
Although this thread does not function under the same strict guidelines as the USPMT, it is still a general practice on TL to provide a source with an explanation on why it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion. Failure to do so will result in a mod action.
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
July 02 2018 20:07 GMT
#14921
He's still banging the Swiss gun law drum even though we had several Swiss telling him that his understanding of Swiss gun laws are completely wrong, and basically the opposite of American gun laws. Also the usual blather about "don't take all our guns", and "them Europeans blah blah blah" "the left yadda yadda yadda". He's not trying very hard at all I would say, as he is basically regurgiting the same vomit on autopilot as several months previously. It's easy post a lot when you are just posting the same crap over and over again by responding to the same strawman over and over again.
PoulsenB
Profile Joined June 2011
Poland7758 Posts
July 03 2018 13:30 GMT
#14922
Every time I look into this thread and read the "discussion" here I wonder why it's not closed yet.
IdrA fan forever <3 || the clueless one || Marci must be protected at all costs
Aveng3r
Profile Joined February 2012
United States2411 Posts
July 03 2018 14:04 GMT
#14923
Every here and there you get a few posts that are researched and informative
I carve marble busts of assassinated world leaders - PM for a quote
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
July 03 2018 14:07 GMT
#14924
On July 03 2018 22:30 PoulsenB wrote:
Every time I look into this thread and read the "discussion" here I wonder why it's not closed yet.

It's a very meta mirroring of the US guns debate. For that, I think it's very informative to the reader that thinks "nothing has been done" and asks why.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 03 2018 14:11 GMT
#14925
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
zlefin
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
United States7689 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-03 14:30:05
July 03 2018 14:28 GMT
#14926
On July 03 2018 22:30 PoulsenB wrote:
Every time I look into this thread and read the "discussion" here I wonder why it's not closed yet.

because it's more of a quarantine thread to keep the topic away from better threads.

and ofc moderating the discussion sufficiently to ensure quality is more work than the mods want to put in. (and would exclude some of the sentiments that have the most political effect - the unreasonable ones)

quality discussions never last that long anyways; because they tend to rapidly converge on a conclusion. as a result bad discussions tend to dominate because they can go on and on.
Great read: http://shorensteincenter.org/news-coverage-2016-general-election/ great book on democracy: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10671.html zlefin is grumpier due to long term illness. Ignoring some users.
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
July 03 2018 14:38 GMT
#14927
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 03 2018 14:53 GMT
#14928
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
July 03 2018 14:57 GMT
#14929
On July 03 2018 23:53 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.

Likewise, you misrepresent other peoples views and present yourself as the aggrieved party at regular intervals. What you’re vocal about is available for all the thread to read. The falsehood that I accuse you personally of being on “super gun control” is also in the thread archives, so I have very little to fear.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 03 2018 15:03 GMT
#14930
On July 03 2018 23:57 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 03 2018 23:53 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.

Likewise, you misrepresent other peoples views and present yourself as the aggrieved party at regular intervals. What you’re vocal about is available for all the thread to read. The falsehood that I accuse you personally of being on “super gun control” is also in the thread archives, so I have very little to fear.

Why don’t you just tell me what you feel my views are and I’ll correct any misconceptions? I’ll be super polite about it. Lets just clear this up once and for all.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
July 03 2018 15:46 GMT
#14931
On July 04 2018 00:03 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 03 2018 23:57 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:53 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.

Likewise, you misrepresent other peoples views and present yourself as the aggrieved party at regular intervals. What you’re vocal about is available for all the thread to read. The falsehood that I accuse you personally of being on “super gun control” is also in the thread archives, so I have very little to fear.

Why don’t you just tell me what you feel my views are and I’ll correct any misconceptions? I’ll be super polite about it. Lets just clear this up once and for all.

No, I think the past pages of the thread are far more illuminating than any view rehash will be. There’s hundreds of pages for any curious soul. I don’t put much stake into making the debate about debating personalities in a lull. I’m just going to tell you the feeling is mutual after you single me out for misconduct.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 03 2018 15:57 GMT
#14932
On July 04 2018 00:46 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2018 00:03 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:57 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:53 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.

Likewise, you misrepresent other peoples views and present yourself as the aggrieved party at regular intervals. What you’re vocal about is available for all the thread to read. The falsehood that I accuse you personally of being on “super gun control” is also in the thread archives, so I have very little to fear.

Why don’t you just tell me what you feel my views are and I’ll correct any misconceptions? I’ll be super polite about it. Lets just clear this up once and for all.

No, I think the past pages of the thread are far more illuminating than any view rehash will be. There’s hundreds of pages for any curious soul. I don’t put much stake into making the debate about debating personalities in a lull. I’m just going to tell you the feeling is mutual after you single me out for misconduct.

And thus we come to the root of the problem, no one is willing to put themselves into a position where they could be proven wrong.

To clear it up:

I support gun ownership for any type of fire arm. I feel it would be a good idea for hand gun ownership to be gated slightly given the statistics on how often those guns lead to injury and are used for suicide. But that feeling is not a deal breaker for any law.

I do not give a shit about assault rifles/long guns or whatever people want to call them. I support a state’s right to regulate those guns as they see fit.

I want robust background checks across the US with a well funded and supported database.

I want ability for law enforcement and family to seek judicial approval to seize fire arms if they can prove the person is a risk.

I would like 6 week training courses for anyone who wants to take them and for that to factor into their ability to obtain a license to carry.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24368 Posts
July 03 2018 16:45 GMT
#14933
On July 04 2018 00:57 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2018 00:46 Danglars wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:03 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:57 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:53 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.

Likewise, you misrepresent other peoples views and present yourself as the aggrieved party at regular intervals. What you’re vocal about is available for all the thread to read. The falsehood that I accuse you personally of being on “super gun control” is also in the thread archives, so I have very little to fear.

Why don’t you just tell me what you feel my views are and I’ll correct any misconceptions? I’ll be super polite about it. Lets just clear this up once and for all.

No, I think the past pages of the thread are far more illuminating than any view rehash will be. There’s hundreds of pages for any curious soul. I don’t put much stake into making the debate about debating personalities in a lull. I’m just going to tell you the feeling is mutual after you single me out for misconduct.

And thus we come to the root of the problem, no one is willing to put themselves into a position where they could be proven wrong.

To clear it up:

I support gun ownership for any type of fire arm. I feel it would be a good idea for hand gun ownership to be gated slightly given the statistics on how often those guns lead to injury and are used for suicide. But that feeling is not a deal breaker for any law.

I do not give a shit about assault rifles/long guns or whatever people want to call them. I support a state’s right to regulate those guns as they see fit.

I want robust background checks across the US with a well funded and supported database.

I want ability for law enforcement and family to seek judicial approval to seize fire arms if they can prove the person is a risk.

I would like 6 week training courses for anyone who wants to take them and for that to factor into their ability to obtain a license to carry.


I imagine you gotta put something in there to deal with interstate gun running (like targeting the retailers/suppliers/manufacturers rather than the runners) otherwise you get something like the opiate epidemic where you had some small town of thousands getting enough opiates for a million people or whatever it was.

Also "class hours" tells people what you mean better than a unit of measure like "weeks"

Otherwise there's nothing too far out there on that list imo. I Imagine it nets out to a win but surely it gets there by dramatically lowering deaths in some states and increasing them in others.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 03 2018 17:20 GMT
#14934
On July 04 2018 01:45 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2018 00:57 Plansix wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:46 Danglars wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:03 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:57 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:53 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.

Likewise, you misrepresent other peoples views and present yourself as the aggrieved party at regular intervals. What you’re vocal about is available for all the thread to read. The falsehood that I accuse you personally of being on “super gun control” is also in the thread archives, so I have very little to fear.

Why don’t you just tell me what you feel my views are and I’ll correct any misconceptions? I’ll be super polite about it. Lets just clear this up once and for all.

No, I think the past pages of the thread are far more illuminating than any view rehash will be. There’s hundreds of pages for any curious soul. I don’t put much stake into making the debate about debating personalities in a lull. I’m just going to tell you the feeling is mutual after you single me out for misconduct.

And thus we come to the root of the problem, no one is willing to put themselves into a position where they could be proven wrong.

To clear it up:

I support gun ownership for any type of fire arm. I feel it would be a good idea for hand gun ownership to be gated slightly given the statistics on how often those guns lead to injury and are used for suicide. But that feeling is not a deal breaker for any law.

I do not give a shit about assault rifles/long guns or whatever people want to call them. I support a state’s right to regulate those guns as they see fit.

I want robust background checks across the US with a well funded and supported database.

I want ability for law enforcement and family to seek judicial approval to seize fire arms if they can prove the person is a risk.

I would like 6 week training courses for anyone who wants to take them and for that to factor into their ability to obtain a license to carry.


I imagine you gotta put something in there to deal with interstate gun running (like targeting the retailers/suppliers/manufacturers rather than the runners) otherwise you get something like the opiate epidemic where you had some small town of thousands getting enough opiates for a million people or whatever it was.

Also "class hours" tells people what you mean better than a unit of measure like "weeks"

Otherwise there's nothing too far out there on that list imo. I Imagine it nets out to a win but surely it gets there by dramatically lowering deaths in some states and increasing them in others.

Robust background checks and the ability to seize fire arms when someone is a risk have lowers gun related deaths and injuries by around 50% in the states they were recently implemented in. I would like person to person sales to have some sort of recording or reporting requirement to the government, but I know people hate that idea. But gun shows should also be better regulated as well.

The classes are just something to help people who want to own guns and receive professional training. And wouldn’t be linked to the gun industry itself, which is the source of a lot of problems in the US. I put 6 weeks because that is what most people are interested in seeing, how long they will have to attend these classes.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24368 Posts
July 03 2018 18:09 GMT
#14935
On July 04 2018 02:20 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2018 01:45 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:57 Plansix wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:46 Danglars wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:03 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:57 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:53 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.

Likewise, you misrepresent other peoples views and present yourself as the aggrieved party at regular intervals. What you’re vocal about is available for all the thread to read. The falsehood that I accuse you personally of being on “super gun control” is also in the thread archives, so I have very little to fear.

Why don’t you just tell me what you feel my views are and I’ll correct any misconceptions? I’ll be super polite about it. Lets just clear this up once and for all.

No, I think the past pages of the thread are far more illuminating than any view rehash will be. There’s hundreds of pages for any curious soul. I don’t put much stake into making the debate about debating personalities in a lull. I’m just going to tell you the feeling is mutual after you single me out for misconduct.

And thus we come to the root of the problem, no one is willing to put themselves into a position where they could be proven wrong.

To clear it up:

I support gun ownership for any type of fire arm. I feel it would be a good idea for hand gun ownership to be gated slightly given the statistics on how often those guns lead to injury and are used for suicide. But that feeling is not a deal breaker for any law.

I do not give a shit about assault rifles/long guns or whatever people want to call them. I support a state’s right to regulate those guns as they see fit.

I want robust background checks across the US with a well funded and supported database.

I want ability for law enforcement and family to seek judicial approval to seize fire arms if they can prove the person is a risk.

I would like 6 week training courses for anyone who wants to take them and for that to factor into their ability to obtain a license to carry.


I imagine you gotta put something in there to deal with interstate gun running (like targeting the retailers/suppliers/manufacturers rather than the runners) otherwise you get something like the opiate epidemic where you had some small town of thousands getting enough opiates for a million people or whatever it was.

Also "class hours" tells people what you mean better than a unit of measure like "weeks"

Otherwise there's nothing too far out there on that list imo. I Imagine it nets out to a win but surely it gets there by dramatically lowering deaths in some states and increasing them in others.

Robust background checks and the ability to seize fire arms when someone is a risk have lowers gun related deaths and injuries by around 50% in the states they were recently implemented in. I would like person to person sales to have some sort of recording or reporting requirement to the government, but I know people hate that idea. But gun shows should also be better regulated as well.

The classes are just something to help people who want to own guns and receive professional training. And wouldn’t be linked to the gun industry itself, which is the source of a lot of problems in the US. I put 6 weeks because that is what most people are interested in seeing, how long they will have to attend these classes.


I don't trust the police to do the part about seizing firearms, and the industry should pay for the education (by way of a tax) but other than that it's pretty reasonable as far as moderate gun reform goes imo.

"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 03 2018 18:24 GMT
#14936
On July 04 2018 03:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2018 02:20 Plansix wrote:
On July 04 2018 01:45 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:57 Plansix wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:46 Danglars wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:03 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:57 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:53 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.

Likewise, you misrepresent other peoples views and present yourself as the aggrieved party at regular intervals. What you’re vocal about is available for all the thread to read. The falsehood that I accuse you personally of being on “super gun control” is also in the thread archives, so I have very little to fear.

Why don’t you just tell me what you feel my views are and I’ll correct any misconceptions? I’ll be super polite about it. Lets just clear this up once and for all.

No, I think the past pages of the thread are far more illuminating than any view rehash will be. There’s hundreds of pages for any curious soul. I don’t put much stake into making the debate about debating personalities in a lull. I’m just going to tell you the feeling is mutual after you single me out for misconduct.

And thus we come to the root of the problem, no one is willing to put themselves into a position where they could be proven wrong.

To clear it up:

I support gun ownership for any type of fire arm. I feel it would be a good idea for hand gun ownership to be gated slightly given the statistics on how often those guns lead to injury and are used for suicide. But that feeling is not a deal breaker for any law.

I do not give a shit about assault rifles/long guns or whatever people want to call them. I support a state’s right to regulate those guns as they see fit.

I want robust background checks across the US with a well funded and supported database.

I want ability for law enforcement and family to seek judicial approval to seize fire arms if they can prove the person is a risk.

I would like 6 week training courses for anyone who wants to take them and for that to factor into their ability to obtain a license to carry.


I imagine you gotta put something in there to deal with interstate gun running (like targeting the retailers/suppliers/manufacturers rather than the runners) otherwise you get something like the opiate epidemic where you had some small town of thousands getting enough opiates for a million people or whatever it was.

Also "class hours" tells people what you mean better than a unit of measure like "weeks"

Otherwise there's nothing too far out there on that list imo. I Imagine it nets out to a win but surely it gets there by dramatically lowering deaths in some states and increasing them in others.

Robust background checks and the ability to seize fire arms when someone is a risk have lowers gun related deaths and injuries by around 50% in the states they were recently implemented in. I would like person to person sales to have some sort of recording or reporting requirement to the government, but I know people hate that idea. But gun shows should also be better regulated as well.

The classes are just something to help people who want to own guns and receive professional training. And wouldn’t be linked to the gun industry itself, which is the source of a lot of problems in the US. I put 6 weeks because that is what most people are interested in seeing, how long they will have to attend these classes.


I don't trust the police to do the part about seizing firearms, and the industry should pay for the education (by way of a tax) but other than that it's pretty reasonable as far as moderate gun reform goes imo.


The laws already exist in some states. They don’t seize the fire arms forever. They petition the court for an order to hold the fire arms and intervene if the person shows signs of being a risk. It isn’t just for the police either. Family can do it if an elderly relative to impaired to own fire arms safely. It is a system with due process that allows people to intervene before a crime or accident takes place.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24368 Posts
July 04 2018 00:31 GMT
#14937
On July 04 2018 03:24 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2018 03:09 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 04 2018 02:20 Plansix wrote:
On July 04 2018 01:45 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:57 Plansix wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:46 Danglars wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:03 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:57 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:53 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
[quote]
So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.

Likewise, you misrepresent other peoples views and present yourself as the aggrieved party at regular intervals. What you’re vocal about is available for all the thread to read. The falsehood that I accuse you personally of being on “super gun control” is also in the thread archives, so I have very little to fear.

Why don’t you just tell me what you feel my views are and I’ll correct any misconceptions? I’ll be super polite about it. Lets just clear this up once and for all.

No, I think the past pages of the thread are far more illuminating than any view rehash will be. There’s hundreds of pages for any curious soul. I don’t put much stake into making the debate about debating personalities in a lull. I’m just going to tell you the feeling is mutual after you single me out for misconduct.

And thus we come to the root of the problem, no one is willing to put themselves into a position where they could be proven wrong.

To clear it up:

I support gun ownership for any type of fire arm. I feel it would be a good idea for hand gun ownership to be gated slightly given the statistics on how often those guns lead to injury and are used for suicide. But that feeling is not a deal breaker for any law.

I do not give a shit about assault rifles/long guns or whatever people want to call them. I support a state’s right to regulate those guns as they see fit.

I want robust background checks across the US with a well funded and supported database.

I want ability for law enforcement and family to seek judicial approval to seize fire arms if they can prove the person is a risk.

I would like 6 week training courses for anyone who wants to take them and for that to factor into their ability to obtain a license to carry.


I imagine you gotta put something in there to deal with interstate gun running (like targeting the retailers/suppliers/manufacturers rather than the runners) otherwise you get something like the opiate epidemic where you had some small town of thousands getting enough opiates for a million people or whatever it was.

Also "class hours" tells people what you mean better than a unit of measure like "weeks"

Otherwise there's nothing too far out there on that list imo. I Imagine it nets out to a win but surely it gets there by dramatically lowering deaths in some states and increasing them in others.

Robust background checks and the ability to seize fire arms when someone is a risk have lowers gun related deaths and injuries by around 50% in the states they were recently implemented in. I would like person to person sales to have some sort of recording or reporting requirement to the government, but I know people hate that idea. But gun shows should also be better regulated as well.

The classes are just something to help people who want to own guns and receive professional training. And wouldn’t be linked to the gun industry itself, which is the source of a lot of problems in the US. I put 6 weeks because that is what most people are interested in seeing, how long they will have to attend these classes.


I don't trust the police to do the part about seizing firearms, and the industry should pay for the education (by way of a tax) but other than that it's pretty reasonable as far as moderate gun reform goes imo.


The laws already exist in some states. They don’t seize the fire arms forever. They petition the court for an order to hold the fire arms and intervene if the person shows signs of being a risk. It isn’t just for the police either. Family can do it if an elderly relative to impaired to own fire arms safely. It is a system with due process that allows people to intervene before a crime or accident takes place.


I know, I'm in one. What concerns me is the same police that can't interact with a Black man smoking on a sidewalk or on his cell phone in his back yard without killing him are now going to be tasked with taking guns they may or may not have from them because they've been deemed "a risk".

It's not the "they're gunna take mer guns" I'm worried about, it's their inability to interact with Black people without feeling threatened and harming us unnecessarily. Same goes for indigenous people and basically anyone not white or Asian.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
ShambhalaWar
Profile Joined August 2013
United States930 Posts
July 04 2018 01:47 GMT
#14938
On July 04 2018 00:57 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2018 00:46 Danglars wrote:
On July 04 2018 00:03 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:57 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:53 Plansix wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:38 Danglars wrote:
On July 03 2018 23:11 Plansix wrote:
This thread does not mirror any gun debate I have been part of in my life. But it does show how bringing the public discussion to this fevered pitch kills the entire discussion. And if the goal is to maintain the status quo, it is effective at achieving that goal.

So you’re basically agreeing with me, but assigning blame do “fevered pitch” among others.

I don’t expect much agreement on which side is more responsible for the deplorable state of the debate.

I always find it amusing that you put me on the super gun control side, when it couldn’t be farther from the truth. But then again, your goal in this debate isn’t about accurately representing the gun control advocates real positions on the topic.

Likewise, you misrepresent other peoples views and present yourself as the aggrieved party at regular intervals. What you’re vocal about is available for all the thread to read. The falsehood that I accuse you personally of being on “super gun control” is also in the thread archives, so I have very little to fear.

Why don’t you just tell me what you feel my views are and I’ll correct any misconceptions? I’ll be super polite about it. Lets just clear this up once and for all.

No, I think the past pages of the thread are far more illuminating than any view rehash will be. There’s hundreds of pages for any curious soul. I don’t put much stake into making the debate about debating personalities in a lull. I’m just going to tell you the feeling is mutual after you single me out for misconduct.

And thus we come to the root of the problem, no one is willing to put themselves into a position where they could be proven wrong.

To clear it up:

I support gun ownership for any type of fire arm. I feel it would be a good idea for hand gun ownership to be gated slightly given the statistics on how often those guns lead to injury and are used for suicide. But that feeling is not a deal breaker for any law.

I do not give a shit about assault rifles/long guns or whatever people want to call them. I support a state’s right to regulate those guns as they see fit.

I want robust background checks across the US with a well funded and supported database.

I want ability for law enforcement and family to seek judicial approval to seize fire arms if they can prove the person is a risk.

I would like 6 week training courses for anyone who wants to take them and for that to factor into their ability to obtain a license to carry.


So classes and education for anyone that wants to own a fire arm as a requirement, like driving a car? That I can get behind.

I might also add insurance for gun owners, so that when someone's gun is used erroneously the victim family will have recourse to collect money to pay for the damages caused by irresponsible gun ownership.

I would also say ban on assault rifles, the only logic for owning them is "they're cool." Ban anything that could end up like the vegas shooting, basically any high capacity mag of any sort. In the waffle house shooting, being forced to reload gave the hero an opening to act.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24801 Posts
July 04 2018 01:54 GMT
#14939
Has an assault rifle ever been used in a crime by a civilian in the USA? I'm not aware of any cases.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
zlefin
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
United States7689 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-04 02:04:48
July 04 2018 02:02 GMT
#14940
On July 04 2018 10:54 micronesia wrote:
Has an assault rifle ever been used in a crime by a civilian in the USA? I'm not aware of any cases.

which definition of assault rifle are you using?
also the answer is assuredly yes anyways given the size of the US and if you're counting many years. so the question would be how many.
Great read: http://shorensteincenter.org/news-coverage-2016-general-election/ great book on democracy: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10671.html zlefin is grumpier due to long term illness. Ignoring some users.
Prev 1 745 746 747 748 749 891 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 218
SpeCial 22
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2032
Snow 44
NaDa 31
Bale 30
Noble 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm173
Counter-Strike
taco 560
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1430
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1094
WinterStarcraft675
Other Games
summit1g8980
Doublelift2535
JimRising 686
PiGStarcraft276
ArmadaUGS187
C9.Mang0183
Maynarde138
ViBE84
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick807
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 90
• practicex 22
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki170
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo1228
• Rush478
• Stunt263
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
5h 55m
OSC
8h 55m
Stellar Fest
8h 55m
OSC
19h 55m
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.