• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:10
CEST 14:10
KST 21:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8479 users

Combating piracy - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 43 44 45 Next All
Garnet
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
Vietnam9056 Posts
November 30 2011 16:42 GMT
#81
Same price for everyone makes poor people become pirates.
SoLaR[i.C]
Profile Blog Joined August 2003
United States2969 Posts
November 30 2011 16:43 GMT
#82
On December 01 2011 01:26 Myles wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2011 01:24 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
I'm hoping that alll major Internet providers enact blockades that simply don't allow access to torrent/p2p sites. It's the only way to stop stealing on such a large scale.

Good way to prevent sharing legal information as well. Talk about a cutting off ones nose to spite the face.

The 0.01% of torrents that constitute actual legal material are always available on academic journal repositories, indie publisher/artist webpages, and through sites like Wikipedia. Don't kid yourself by equating piracy with some global sharing of information for the good of mankind. It's young folks with no regard for the livelihood of others who refuse to pay for stuff because they are removed from seeing the implications of their stealing. I will actively vote for any legislation blocking torrents sites.
Clearout
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway1060 Posts
November 30 2011 16:45 GMT
#83
On December 01 2011 01:36 daemir wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2011 01:32 andrea20 wrote:
The opinion of a company who has sold over a million copies of a game despite piracy is meaningless. The Witcher 2 is successful, but they're passing their success as "proof" that piracy is an avoidable factor.

How about an interview of a fledgling indie game designer who has sold less than 1000 copies of their game, but has seen it pirated more than 10000 times? That's what piracy hurts, not the big guys.


If the indie game designers game is truely an amazing piece of work, people will buy it.
Minecraft is the perfect example of that.
really?
Myles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5162 Posts
November 30 2011 16:46 GMT
#84
On December 01 2011 01:43 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2011 01:26 Myles wrote:
On December 01 2011 01:24 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
I'm hoping that alll major Internet providers enact blockades that simply don't allow access to torrent/p2p sites. It's the only way to stop stealing on such a large scale.

Good way to prevent sharing legal information as well. Talk about a cutting off ones nose to spite the face.

The 0.01% of torrents that constitute actual legal material are always available on academic journal repositories, indie publisher/artist webpages, and through sites like Wikipedia. Don't kid yourself by equating piracy with some global sharing of information for the good of mankind. It's young folks with no regard for the livelihood of others who refuse to pay for stuff because they are removed from seeing the implications of their stealing. I will actively vote for any legislation blocking torrents sites.

Trust me, I'm not confusing piracy with the sharing of information, but stopping p2p won't stop pirating and will harm legal sharing, even if it constitutes a small amount of whats actually shared. I will never support a measure such as that.
Moderator
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-30 16:54:43
November 30 2011 16:49 GMT
#85
On December 01 2011 01:39 Ian Ian Ian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2011 22:24 Interloper wrote:
Many people who pirate do so because they want to try a game out. If they enjoy the game, they will buy it too support the developer. 4,5 million downloads becomes a useless figure since you can not in any way know how many of those 4,5 million purchased the game afterwards. I feel that piracy is a good way to get rid of shitty developers how make crappy games only for the sake of making money (Well all developers want to make money ofc, but i hope you get my point). Good developers get the money they need and then some. Piracy will not be the end of gaming.


...thats fucking bullshit lol.

Piracy will eventually change the video game scene alot though. Developers are accustomed to making shitloads of money, they will do something, like the OP said.

DLC, subscribe games, etc, are already becoming way more common


Well, good thing there's anecdotal evidence showing that DRM, subscribe games, forced online, and limited access to games in all forms REDUCE sales even more than what piracy does.

Also, I've pirated ~20 games in the past 12 months. I've bought 16 of them. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise, as I believe I have the right to try out a game before I am forced to spend $60 on it. That's the mentality of a lot of "pirates." I know my friend pirated a game because the fucking DRM on it said he had to rebuy the game he BOUGHT because he reinstalled his OS. I've pirated games that I've bought in the past and couldn't find the disc or couldn't remember the passwords to the accounts that they were on.

There are hundreds of reasons for piracy, a lot are legitimate. A lot are assholes and just doing it because they're lazy or greedy. Nonetheless, there is proof in the numbers that DRM in all shapes and sizes only hurts the game more than if they didn't have it. Systems like Gabe Newell describes in the video I linked last page improve sales, with his analogy to the issue in Russia. Putting all forms of piracy under the umbrella of "GREEDY CHILDREN WHO DONT WANT TO BUY GAMES" is extremely immature.

It's just as much fault of the service the developer provides as it is the customers fault. It's hilarious how people think that we should, as a community, pay $60 for every game that looks remotely interesting to us with no way to try it out previously and have to rebuy it every time we break their arbitrary rules on their DRM, allow intrusive spyware onto our computer to scan it, and generally get total shit service. Give us good service and we pay for games, it's that simple. Ubisoft is the prime example of how NOT to handle piracy. A game is released with such ridiculous DRM that it takes ~40 minutes just to get started on the game and basically makes it impossible to play the game you BOUGHT, but if you apply a 20mb crack to it instead, you don't have to do ANY of that stupid crap and you're set for life. Which one would you choose? The choice is clear.

When developers and producers provide good service, people buy their service. When they provide shitty service, we pirate their service. It's that fucking simple.

It blows my mind that people are actually encouraging developers to provide them with less and shittier service in the name of stopping something that isn't even an issue when something is handled correcty.
Nikon
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Bulgaria5710 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-30 16:59:19
November 30 2011 16:53 GMT
#86
On December 01 2011 01:24 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
I'm hoping that alll major Internet providers enact blockades that simply don't allow access to torrent/p2p sites. It's the only way to stop stealing on such a large scale.


On December 01 2011 01:43 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2011 01:26 Myles wrote:
On December 01 2011 01:24 SoLaR[i.C] wrote:
I'm hoping that alll major Internet providers enact blockades that simply don't allow access to torrent/p2p sites. It's the only way to stop stealing on such a large scale.

Good way to prevent sharing legal information as well. Talk about a cutting off ones nose to spite the face.

The 0.01% of torrents that constitute actual legal material are always available on academic journal repositories, indie publisher/artist webpages, and through sites like Wikipedia. Don't kid yourself by equating piracy with some global sharing of information for the good of mankind. It's young folks with no regard for the livelihood of others who refuse to pay for stuff because they are removed from seeing the implications of their stealing. I will actively vote for any legislation blocking torrents sites.


Man, you're really uninformed... I mean, I just realised that Activison actually STOLE 30 Euro from me, since I got a boxed set of SC2 on release - which just happens to be available at half price in another country at the same point of time. Just for clarification, the wages in said country are at least 10 times higher than in mine. Somehow in your mind, however, they're the victim. Surely, I'm a young folk with no regards of other's livelyhood. Not only that they make an infinitely larger amounts of money than I could hope to make, but they also employ pant-on-head retarded pricing schemes, which actually steal from ME.

On December 01 2011 01:53 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2011 01:42 Garnet wrote:
Same price for everyone makes poor people become pirates.

That's bullshit and you know it. I have a somewhat normal income (upper middle class whatever), I love to ski. Lift tickets are fucking expensive ($70+ a day in Summit County in Colorado). I go skiing once or twice a year, because I know it gets more expensive than I can afford to go out there, get a place to stay, ski, eat, etc.

If something doesn't fit in your budget, sorry. Be realistic, not a pirate.


How much do you make per month? Tell me, and I'll tell you how much I make as well.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
November 30 2011 16:53 GMT
#87
On December 01 2011 01:42 Garnet wrote:
Same price for everyone makes poor people become pirates.

That's bullshit and you know it. I have a somewhat normal income (upper middle class whatever), I love to ski. Lift tickets are fucking expensive ($70+ a day in Summit County in Colorado). I go skiing once or twice a year, because I know it gets more expensive than I can afford to go out there, get a place to stay, ski, eat, etc.

If something doesn't fit in your budget, sorry. Be realistic, not a pirate.
It's your boy Guzma!
subzer0
Profile Joined August 2011
67 Posts
November 30 2011 16:57 GMT
#88
Anyone trying to justify or defend piracy is a scumbag. Its exactly the same as walking into a store and stealing music, movies, or videogames. It is fundamentally wrong, but more or less completely free from prosecution.
HereAndNow
Profile Joined October 2011
United States185 Posts
November 30 2011 16:58 GMT
#89
On December 01 2011 01:49 Fruscainte wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2011 01:39 Ian Ian Ian wrote:
On November 30 2011 22:24 Interloper wrote:
Many people who pirate do so because they want to try a game out. If they enjoy the game, they will buy it too support the developer. 4,5 million downloads becomes a useless figure since you can not in any way know how many of those 4,5 million purchased the game afterwards. I feel that piracy is a good way to get rid of shitty developers how make crappy games only for the sake of making money (Well all developers want to make money ofc, but i hope you get my point). Good developers get the money they need and then some. Piracy will not be the end of gaming.


...thats fucking bullshit lol.

Piracy will eventually change the video game scene alot though. Developers are accustomed to making shitloads of money, they will do something, like the OP said.

DLC, subscribe games, etc, are already becoming way more common


Well, good thing there's anecdotal evidence showing that DRM, subscribe games, forced online, and limited access to games in all forms REDUCE sales even more than what piracy does.

Also, I've pirated ~20 games in the past 12 months. I've bought 16 of them. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise, as I believe I have the right to try out a game before I am forced to spend $60 on it. That's the mentality of a lot of "pirates." I know my friend pirated a game because the fucking DRM on it said he had to rebuy the game he BOUGHT because he reinstalled his OS. I've pirated games that I've bought in the past and couldn't find the disc or couldn't remember the passwords to the accounts that they were on.

There are hundreds of reasons for piracy, a lot are legitimate. A lot are assholes and just doing it because they're lazy or greedy. Nonetheless, there is proof in the numbers that DRM in all shapes and sizes only hurts the game more than if they didn't have it. Systems like Gabe Newell describes in the video I linked last page improve sales, with his analogy to the issue in Russia. Putting all forms of piracy under the umbrella of "GREEDY CHILDREN WHO DONT WANT TO BUY GAMES" is extremely immature.

It's just as much fault of the service the developer provides as it is the customers fault. It's hilarious how people think that we should, as a community, pay $60 for every game that looks remotely interesting to us with no way to try it out previously and have to rebuy it every time we break their arbitrary rules on their DRM, allow intrusive spyware onto our computer to scan it, and generally get total shit service. Give us good service and we pay for games, it's that simple. Ubisoft is the prime example of how NOT to handle piracy. A game is released with such ridiculous DRM that it takes ~40 minutes just to get started on the game and basically makes it impossible to play the game you BOUGHT, but if you apply a 20mb crack to it instead, you don't have to do ANY of that stupid crap and you're set for life. Which one would you choose? The choice is clear.

When developers and producers provide good service, people buy their service. When they provide shitty service, we pirate their service. It's that fucking simple.

Likewise, putting all piracy under the umbrella of "internet heroes who just want to try games before buying" is extremely misinformed, or blinding yourself to the truth. For every person that pirates to try-before-I-buy, there are a hundred who just pirate because they don't want to pay.

There are a large amount of ways to try a game without pirating. You could play a friend's version, try a demo on some games, have a Gamefly/Blockbuster account, use Redbox, hit the demo stands at your local retailer. Stop pretending you're saving the game industry by pirating.
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
November 30 2011 17:00 GMT
#90
On December 01 2011 01:57 subzer0 wrote:
Anyone trying to justify or defend piracy is a scumbag. Its exactly the same as walking into a store and stealing music, movies, or videogames. It is fundamentally wrong, but more or less completely free from prosecution.


This is exactly the form of complete ignorance of the situation and total misinformation provided that lets the shit that developers are trying to pull on their paying customers go unhindered.

Want to know how to "combat piracy"? Provide good service. Provide a good service and people will buy your shit. That's just the fact of life. If you are releasing shit that only hurts those whom buy the game, people are going to "steal" them (even though comparing downloading a digital representation of something is laughable to compare to walking into a store and taking something tangible.)
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-30 17:01:25
November 30 2011 17:01 GMT
#91
On December 01 2011 01:58 HereAndNow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2011 01:49 Fruscainte wrote:
On December 01 2011 01:39 Ian Ian Ian wrote:
On November 30 2011 22:24 Interloper wrote:
Many people who pirate do so because they want to try a game out. If they enjoy the game, they will buy it too support the developer. 4,5 million downloads becomes a useless figure since you can not in any way know how many of those 4,5 million purchased the game afterwards. I feel that piracy is a good way to get rid of shitty developers how make crappy games only for the sake of making money (Well all developers want to make money ofc, but i hope you get my point). Good developers get the money they need and then some. Piracy will not be the end of gaming.


...thats fucking bullshit lol.

Piracy will eventually change the video game scene alot though. Developers are accustomed to making shitloads of money, they will do something, like the OP said.

DLC, subscribe games, etc, are already becoming way more common


Well, good thing there's anecdotal evidence showing that DRM, subscribe games, forced online, and limited access to games in all forms REDUCE sales even more than what piracy does.

Also, I've pirated ~20 games in the past 12 months. I've bought 16 of them. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise, as I believe I have the right to try out a game before I am forced to spend $60 on it. That's the mentality of a lot of "pirates." I know my friend pirated a game because the fucking DRM on it said he had to rebuy the game he BOUGHT because he reinstalled his OS. I've pirated games that I've bought in the past and couldn't find the disc or couldn't remember the passwords to the accounts that they were on.

There are hundreds of reasons for piracy, a lot are legitimate. A lot are assholes and just doing it because they're lazy or greedy. Nonetheless, there is proof in the numbers that DRM in all shapes and sizes only hurts the game more than if they didn't have it. Systems like Gabe Newell describes in the video I linked last page improve sales, with his analogy to the issue in Russia. Putting all forms of piracy under the umbrella of "GREEDY CHILDREN WHO DONT WANT TO BUY GAMES" is extremely immature.

It's just as much fault of the service the developer provides as it is the customers fault. It's hilarious how people think that we should, as a community, pay $60 for every game that looks remotely interesting to us with no way to try it out previously and have to rebuy it every time we break their arbitrary rules on their DRM, allow intrusive spyware onto our computer to scan it, and generally get total shit service. Give us good service and we pay for games, it's that simple. Ubisoft is the prime example of how NOT to handle piracy. A game is released with such ridiculous DRM that it takes ~40 minutes just to get started on the game and basically makes it impossible to play the game you BOUGHT, but if you apply a 20mb crack to it instead, you don't have to do ANY of that stupid crap and you're set for life. Which one would you choose? The choice is clear.

When developers and producers provide good service, people buy their service. When they provide shitty service, we pirate their service. It's that fucking simple.

Likewise, putting all piracy under the umbrella of "internet heroes who just want to try games before buying"


On December 01 2011 01:49 Fruscainte wrote:
A lot are assholes and just doing it because they're lazy or greedy.


...Yeah about that.
xtfftc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom2343 Posts
November 30 2011 17:02 GMT
#92
On December 01 2011 01:30 Krikkitone wrote:
The "I pirated it and then bought it" model Could be used by the industry... but only if buying it gives the consumer something they wouldn't have otherwise.

No. This assumes that pirates are evil and simply want to use something for free, while in reality pirates either can't afford buying it in the first place (in which case offering extra stuff won't change anything) or pirate the product before buying it because they want to be sure of its quality (a perfecly reasonable motive, considering how much is given for PR and shiny trailers and that the critics only post good reviews). There's also a lot of people who are in a situation that is a combination of the two: for example you can only afford 2 games but are interested in 5, so you pirate all five and then buy the two you like the most.
NukeTheStars
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States278 Posts
November 30 2011 17:03 GMT
#93
Pirates will always justify their piracy, no matter what anyone does. Whether its price, convenience, no demo, taking a stand against something blah blah blah. People on the internet think they are entitled to everything, so if they have the capabilities, they'll take it. The percentage of people who pirate something and then purchase it right afterward is very small.
Playguuu
Profile Joined April 2010
United States926 Posts
November 30 2011 17:03 GMT
#94
On November 30 2011 23:46 nihlon wrote:
I do agree with some above me that the lack of proper demo's are a problem. Either the game is gimped to the point where you can't get a decent feel for the game, or like in many cases of games I've been interested in, there is no demo at all.

As for DRM, they are not bad in themselves only bad when they are poorly implemented.



Yeah what ever happened to demos? I know they exist in some cases, but as you stated, they are horribly gimped or don't exist. I remember going onto gamespy or fileplanet to check out the demos for worms, driving games that I'd never buy typically, or quake - having a good time with them and picking up the game. Even guest passes or trials aren't really around much anymore.

On a sidenote, stuff like Driver San Francisco or Skyrim, games I'd never be into or consider buying (since I didn't play their predecessors), I've been pleasantly surprised by and ended up buying.
I used to be just like you, then I took a sweetroll to the knee.
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
November 30 2011 17:03 GMT
#95
Also, people need to stop misconstruing the points being made here. It's not about being "internet superheroes" or whatever. It's about not paying for shitty service.

I do encourage you to watch Gabe Newell's take on it, since it got lost away in the spam last page. It really makes a good point on not defending piracy, which is not what I'm doing, but rather explaining how it can be logically reduced without using intrusive forms of DRM.



1:05 in.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
November 30 2011 17:04 GMT
#96
On December 01 2011 02:00 Fruscainte wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2011 01:57 subzer0 wrote:
Anyone trying to justify or defend piracy is a scumbag. Its exactly the same as walking into a store and stealing music, movies, or videogames. It is fundamentally wrong, but more or less completely free from prosecution.


This is exactly the form of complete ignorance of the situation and total misinformation provided that lets the shit that developers are trying to pull on their paying customers go unhindered.

Want to know how to "combat piracy"? Provide good service. Provide a good service and people will buy your shit. That's just the fact of life. If you are releasing shit that only hurts those whom buy the game, people are going to "steal" them (even though comparing downloading a digital representation of something is laughable to compare to walking into a store and taking something tangible.)

No, that's dumb. DRM and online-only were put in place BECAUSE people were pirating shit. If you don't like the way the service works now, well tough, that's what your actions caused in the first place.

And don't use the "piracy isn't the same thing as theft" argument. There is no physical object other than data for PC games anymore, as everyone downloads their PC games from Steam/whatever. In essence, you're getting the exact same thing without paying the provider, which is stealing.
It's your boy Guzma!
dementrio
Profile Joined November 2010
678 Posts
November 30 2011 17:04 GMT
#97
There are ways to win against piracy if that's what you are asking about. It's hardware-level code authentication, which would drastically reduce the amount of people with the equipment and skills required for cracking a DRM scheme.

You probably don't want that to happen though. It basically means turning everything into an iphone which can't be jailbreaked.

The alternative of blocking "torrent sites" also works in a similar fashion. There will always be workarounds unless you block everything except a list of explicitly allowed internet services.
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-30 17:07:53
November 30 2011 17:05 GMT
#98
On December 01 2011 02:04 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2011 02:00 Fruscainte wrote:
On December 01 2011 01:57 subzer0 wrote:
Anyone trying to justify or defend piracy is a scumbag. Its exactly the same as walking into a store and stealing music, movies, or videogames. It is fundamentally wrong, but more or less completely free from prosecution.


This is exactly the form of complete ignorance of the situation and total misinformation provided that lets the shit that developers are trying to pull on their paying customers go unhindered.

Want to know how to "combat piracy"? Provide good service. Provide a good service and people will buy your shit. That's just the fact of life. If you are releasing shit that only hurts those whom buy the game, people are going to "steal" them (even though comparing downloading a digital representation of something is laughable to compare to walking into a store and taking something tangible.)

No, that's dumb. DRM and online-only were put in place BECAUSE people were pirating shit.


And yet it doesn't stop it at all and only hurts the buyers, causing even MORE people to pirate the game because they dont' want to deal with intrusive programs.

See how that works?

You'll never remove piracy. However, DRM only hurts it more. Every game gets cracked, and pirates still continue to play. And when buyers are stuck between the choice of having intrusive programs on their computer that limit their ability to play and have fun, and a version that has none of that which they should be getting when they buy the game, they choose the latter.

You see, that's the issue. Pirated versions of games get better service than bought versions of the game. THAT is the issue that causes piracy. It's not about "HOW DO WE BLOCK ALL THE TORRENT SITES EVER", it's about providing a good service. When the pirated version is a better service than the bought version, more people will pirate. It's that fucking simple, I don't know how this can't be grasped.
Ryndika
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1489 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-30 17:10:33
November 30 2011 17:07 GMT
#99
Aren't younger generations the biggest pirating party? Those people can't really afford games even in first place. I remember long ago I had to skip many games because I couldn't afford. If I was at that age and piracy was like this, I would've played all games I wanted.

Most of adults I've met buy games and only pirate it because it's easier to pirate than buy in legit way.

It's another question whether you should or should not experience games you can't afford.

E: I was going to say that my friends don't pirate indie games but now when I think about it, most of them do... Like that's in my opinion even worse when you pirate games like Magicka or Age of Stone etc =(. ( or was it rock? lol can't remember).
as useful as teasalt
ggrrg
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Bulgaria2717 Posts
November 30 2011 17:07 GMT
#100
On December 01 2011 01:53 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2011 01:42 Garnet wrote:
Same price for everyone makes poor people become pirates.

That's bullshit and you know it. I have a somewhat normal income (upper middle class whatever), I love to ski. Lift tickets are fucking expensive ($70+ a day in Summit County in Colorado). I go skiing once or twice a year, because I know it gets more expensive than I can afford to go out there, get a place to stay, ski, eat, etc.

If something doesn't fit in your budget, sorry. Be realistic, not a pirate.


I believe that you don't understand the situation in many countries in the world. There are tons of people who couldn't possibly afford to buy even a single original game due to ridiculously high prices. Take a look at Bulgaria for example. The average wage is 320 €. Original games cost about 60€. That's more than most people's monthly rent. There is no way in hell that the average Bulgarian could afford more than one or two games in an year. That's the reason why piracy is rampant there. However, the millions of pirated games/movies/programmes don't constitute a loss for the developers since those people couldn't afford them anyway. There are tons of countries in the world where the situation is even worse and where it's absolutely impossible to afford original software. That's why statistics claiming that the developers' loss from 4.5 mio illegal downloads equals the price of 4.5 mio sold copies is utter bullshit.
I don't endorse piracy but one should always consider that conclusions derived from statistics tend to be completely misleading and/or plain wrong.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 43 44 45 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 811
RotterdaM318
SteadfastSC149
TKL 144
Rex87
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 318
ByuN 230
SteadfastSC 149
TKL 144
Rex 87
Codebar 39
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31719
Shuttle 1634
Mong 828
Bisu 713
Jaedong 672
Horang2 502
Soulkey 297
actioN 266
Stork 243
Mini 238
[ Show more ]
firebathero 235
Soma 189
BeSt 188
Larva 171
EffOrt 135
Zeus 130
Last 125
Rush 119
Snow 101
ZerO 96
Mind 76
910 74
Free 73
Hyun 72
Pusan 67
Sexy 61
Yoon 58
PianO 58
Sharp 45
hero 44
Shine 43
Shinee 32
Bale 25
sorry 22
JYJ 21
HiyA 21
ToSsGirL 19
ZergMaN 18
Aegong 17
Hm[arnc] 15
yabsab 15
scan(afreeca) 12
Noble 9
Sacsri 8
Terrorterran 2
Dota 2
Dendi701
Gorgc631
canceldota83
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1251
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King200
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes409
Other Games
gofns62379
singsing2191
Lowko278
B2W.Neo253
DeMusliM201
Pyrionflax179
Livibee147
hiko36
QueenE35
Trikslyr28
ZerO(Twitch)9
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 364
Other Games
BasetradeTV191
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV524
League of Legends
• Jankos1303
Other Games
• Shiphtur570
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 50m
The PondCast
21h 50m
INu's Battles
22h 50m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.