• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:28
CEST 15:28
KST 22:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9688 users

Korean Highschool Documentry - Page 10

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 16 Next All
Valestrum
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States246 Posts
August 27 2011 13:34 GMT
#181
So let me get this straight.. The Women are hotter, students actually all study and are smart, AND the ones who aren't smart kill themselves?

I don't really see why this is a bad thing, I wish it was here in the U.S. as well. It would improve us greatly and the only price seems to be having failures kill themselves.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
novabossa
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States350 Posts
August 27 2011 13:38 GMT
#182
On August 27 2011 04:23 domovoi wrote:
Show nested quote +
Unfortunately, Korea is one of the most superficial and vain countries in the world.

Is this really true though? Pretty much every teen magazine in the US is dedicated to fashion and beauty. I don't see any evidence that Korea is more vain than other Asian countries or the US or Europe.


It is, sadly. One of the main differences between US culture and Korean culture is that American teenage youth tend to be more independent, probably because of the differences in parenting ideologies. This means they're less likely to become obsessed with superficial values (unlike Korean teenage girls, who are easily sucked into it because they are used to people telling them what to do). This in turn causes a "snowball" effect in Korean culture where beauty becomes abnormally prized.

P.S. I hear Japan is similar, though.
Rachel: First game. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Dark Templar. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Countered. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Were you worried? oGsMC: What?
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
August 27 2011 13:42 GMT
#183
Wow, that's so crazy O.O

I didn't realize eyes were such a big deal...
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
white_horse
Profile Joined July 2010
1019 Posts
August 27 2011 13:45 GMT
#184
On August 27 2011 19:19 KT s0ng wrote:
The biggest thing that surprised me when I came here to teach is the culture of vanity. Everyone is impeccably dressed and ironed in high-end fashion, six/seven year old kids who wear Ralph Lauren and Beanpole. Girls/women will tell you lies just to look better ('I'm studying this....', when they're definitely not). Everyone drones on about things being good for health while the streets are jammed with scooters doing Pizza Hut/McDonalds home delivery (but they won't be seen buying it). Weekend culture for young people is centered around glitzy malls selling high-end brands and most stores above the second floor are comestic/skin/surgery orientated. When I went to the Jisan Valley rock festival I saw some of the alternative culture, but generally everyone was still the same.

I don't teach high school but the kids generally go to school 9:00-7:00 or 9-9:30 for the middle schoolers, when you include after-school academies. Despite the dark tone of the trailer, everyone is pretty bright and happy apart from the middle schoolers who are so so so tired when you teach them at 8:30 at night, and they are bright when they leave. Back home in the UK our kids are setting the country on fire because the lives of young people and schooling sucks, but we have thriving alternative communities and the obsession with looks is nowhere near as bad. I dunno. I love Korea but it has a dark side.


Your generalization of korean society is simply wrong.
Translator
sickle
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
New Zealand656 Posts
August 27 2011 13:47 GMT
#185
On August 27 2011 22:45 white_horse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2011 19:19 KT s0ng wrote:
The biggest thing that surprised me when I came here to teach is the culture of vanity. Everyone is impeccably dressed and ironed in high-end fashion, six/seven year old kids who wear Ralph Lauren and Beanpole. Girls/women will tell you lies just to look better ('I'm studying this....', when they're definitely not). Everyone drones on about things being good for health while the streets are jammed with scooters doing Pizza Hut/McDonalds home delivery (but they won't be seen buying it). Weekend culture for young people is centered around glitzy malls selling high-end brands and most stores above the second floor are comestic/skin/surgery orientated. When I went to the Jisan Valley rock festival I saw some of the alternative culture, but generally everyone was still the same.

I don't teach high school but the kids generally go to school 9:00-7:00 or 9-9:30 for the middle schoolers, when you include after-school academies. Despite the dark tone of the trailer, everyone is pretty bright and happy apart from the middle schoolers who are so so so tired when you teach them at 8:30 at night, and they are bright when they leave. Back home in the UK our kids are setting the country on fire because the lives of young people and schooling sucks, but we have thriving alternative communities and the obsession with looks is nowhere near as bad. I dunno. I love Korea but it has a dark side.


Your generalization of korean society is simply wrong.


Compelling argument, friend.
insaneMicro
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Germany761 Posts
August 27 2011 13:54 GMT
#186
On August 27 2011 22:34 Valestrum wrote:
So let me get this straight.. The Women are hotter, students actually all study and are smart, AND the ones who aren't smart kill themselves?

I don't really see why this is a bad thing, I wish it was here in the U.S. as well. It would improve us greatly and the only price seems to be having failures kill themselves.


You can't be serious. Young people ending their lives because they can't live up to the expectations of their environment is one of the msot horrible things I've ever heard of. I'm all for competition, hard work + Show Spoiler +
and hot highschool girls
, but there is a line somewhere.

What kind of youth is spent drudging along dimly lit floors and rote learning for 16 hours/day? I'm really sad for Korean highschoolers. T_T
"Damn I played some fine Zerg right there". -Fruitdealer
white_horse
Profile Joined July 2010
1019 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-27 13:57:07
August 27 2011 13:56 GMT
#187
On August 27 2011 22:47 sickle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2011 22:45 white_horse wrote:
On August 27 2011 19:19 KT s0ng wrote:
The biggest thing that surprised me when I came here to teach is the culture of vanity. Everyone is impeccably dressed and ironed in high-end fashion, six/seven year old kids who wear Ralph Lauren and Beanpole. Girls/women will tell you lies just to look better ('I'm studying this....', when they're definitely not). Everyone drones on about things being good for health while the streets are jammed with scooters doing Pizza Hut/McDonalds home delivery (but they won't be seen buying it). Weekend culture for young people is centered around glitzy malls selling high-end brands and most stores above the second floor are comestic/skin/surgery orientated. When I went to the Jisan Valley rock festival I saw some of the alternative culture, but generally everyone was still the same.

I don't teach high school but the kids generally go to school 9:00-7:00 or 9-9:30 for the middle schoolers, when you include after-school academies. Despite the dark tone of the trailer, everyone is pretty bright and happy apart from the middle schoolers who are so so so tired when you teach them at 8:30 at night, and they are bright when they leave. Back home in the UK our kids are setting the country on fire because the lives of young people and schooling sucks, but we have thriving alternative communities and the obsession with looks is nowhere near as bad. I dunno. I love Korea but it has a dark side.


Your generalization of korean society is simply wrong.


Compelling argument, friend.


Because having to explain that phrases like everyone is or everyone does are ignorant isn't necessary for intelligent people like you.
Translator
KT s0ng
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Korea (South)88 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-27 14:09:27
August 27 2011 14:04 GMT
#188
Ah, jesus. Of course I'm aware that I am part of a microcosm of young city-dwelling people and students. It is obvious that I am talking about my experience in which everything I say is true. From now on I will qualify and requalify and rerequalify everything I say. If you like, everytime you see the word 'everyone', add 'in my experience'. Saves me time.

Reminds me of this: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/another-thing-to-sort-of-pin-on-david-foster-wallace.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all

Do not say a statement! Include words like pretty maybe sometimes often "IT'S JUST MY OPINION" "IMO". Jeez.

p.s. If you're being defensive, which I sense you are, no need to be. I love Korea and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. It's OK to talk about your feelings, whether good or bad.
pyrogenetix
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
China5098 Posts
August 27 2011 14:18 GMT
#189
This could be made for Japan and/or China as well.
Yea that looks just like Kang Min... amazing game sense... and uses mind games well, but has the micro of a washed up progamer.
MozzarellaL
Profile Joined November 2010
United States822 Posts
August 27 2011 14:25 GMT
#190
On August 27 2011 21:43 Copymizer wrote:
Korean beauty obsession, double eye lids. Holy fuck didn't know such a small thing did such a big difference to the koreans. wow.

It's every Asian culture dude. For the past three thousand years, the Chinese were obsessed with women who had pale, white skin, and double lidded eyes. And for the past three thousand years (ending in around the 1900's), China's chief export has been cultural hegemony over its neighbors.

In all seriousness, why is it such a big surprise? Certain genetic mutations have always been seen as more attractive, why do you think so many Caucasian females dye their hair blonde? It's the same exact thing.
kemo
Profile Joined May 2010
United States5 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-27 14:28:02
August 27 2011 14:26 GMT
#191
High school girls in korea are holding themselves to an unfair standard set by popstars and celebrities? The part of the documentary about the massive amounts of studying and pressure involved in a korean student's life is interesting but the bit about young girls aspiring to be their favorite celebrity or "look like someone else" as the video described hardly seems unique to Korea.

I guess maybe it's more emphasized by the fact that plastic surgery is more widely accepted among the youth in Korea. I'm pretty sure if you ask most girls in highschool in America or anywhere else really if they have features that they would want to change they could make a list for you. The difference here is that plastic surgery is such a common thing that the students actually go through with it?
Jombozeus
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
China1014 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-27 14:34:20
August 27 2011 14:33 GMT
#192
Classic example of the superiority complex Westerners have towards Asian culture.

"Oh, I could never do that myself, therefore it must be wrong, and I must help them change it."

Where have I seen THAT before? Oh yeah like everywhere.
NeVeR
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
1352 Posts
August 27 2011 14:33 GMT
#193
On August 27 2011 22:27 Turenne wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2011 19:56 NeVeR wrote:
If we had more of a Korean mentality in America, maybe our women wouldn't be so fat and slutty. Just sayin'. It's not much of a wonder why the divorce rate here is over 50% nowadays.


Awwww, woman hate you huh?


lol yeah you got me.
krndandaman
Profile Joined August 2009
Mozambique16569 Posts
August 27 2011 14:39 GMT
#194
--- Nuked ---
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
August 27 2011 14:42 GMT
#195
fishbowl

User was warned for this post
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
NeVeR
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
1352 Posts
August 27 2011 15:14 GMT
#196
On August 27 2011 23:39 krndandaman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2011 19:56 NeVeR wrote:
If we had more of a Korean mentality in America, maybe our women wouldn't be so fat and slutty. Just sayin'. It's not much of a wonder why the divorce rate here is over 50% nowadays.


Divorce rate isn't that much different in SK. It's 3rd behind the U.S. and U.K. And the girls in Korea can be equally as slutty...


Hrm, source? I looked at a few lists of divorce statistics by country and SK wasn't listed anywhere. Also girls in any country can be slutty of course, but I was referring to the norm.
Malgrif
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada1095 Posts
August 27 2011 15:39 GMT
#197
On August 28 2011 00:14 NeVeR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2011 23:39 krndandaman wrote:
On August 27 2011 19:56 NeVeR wrote:
If we had more of a Korean mentality in America, maybe our women wouldn't be so fat and slutty. Just sayin'. It's not much of a wonder why the divorce rate here is over 50% nowadays.


Divorce rate isn't that much different in SK. It's 3rd behind the U.S. and U.K. And the girls in Korea can be equally as slutty...


Hrm, source? I looked at a few lists of divorce statistics by country and SK wasn't listed anywhere. Also girls in any country can be slutty of course, but I was referring to the norm.

yeah i agree, since their uniforms are forced and they're too busy studying i don't see how highschool girls are equally slutty there. especially since they shun relationships...
for there to be pro there has to be noob.
Vinnesta
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Singapore285 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-27 15:54:41
August 27 2011 15:39 GMT
#198
On August 27 2011 22:34 Valestrum wrote:
So let me get this straight.. The Women are hotter, students actually all study and are smart, AND the ones who aren't smart kill themselves?

I don't really see why this is a bad thing, I wish it was here in the U.S. as well. It would improve us greatly and the only price seems to be having failures kill themselves.


ONLY price is having failures kill themselves? Every life lost is a tragedy. And those lost in vain, because of the combination of stress and teenage emotions, is even more tragic. While I accept that everyone has a different tolerance for the Darwinian elimination of human beings, condoning a system where people kill themselves over academics and vanity is just inhumane.

It was a bit shocking to watch the girl talk about her senior and her peer committing suicide. She showed almost no sorrow or sympathy when talking about them, as though suicide was such a trivial issue. With such a mindset, it'll be difficult to reduce the rate of suicides amongst Korean youths. I sure hope the situation is not as bad as I made it out to be.
Same difference is not an oxymoron!
soulpoetry
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom177 Posts
August 27 2011 15:56 GMT
#199
On August 28 2011 00:39 Vinnesta wrote:
It was a bit shocking to watch the girl talk about her senior and her peer committing suicide. She showed almost no sorrow or sympathy when talking about them, as though suicide was such a trivial issue. With such a mindset, it'll be difficult to reduce the rate of suicides amongst Korean youths. I sure hope the situation is not as bad as I made it out to be.


this is what stood out to me as well although they could have not really known each other that well. i mean everyone i have on facebook or something i'd consider a friend if i was talking about them.
blahman3344
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2015 Posts
August 27 2011 15:59 GMT
#200
I'm actually interested in watching this documentary, i might even pledge to see it if it isn't too costly.
But yeah, I knew of the students who committed suicide and the obsession with beauty, but seeing and hearing these things first-hand from Korean students is a much different experience. The way they talked about surgery as a common thing seems so strange to someone like me.
I like haikus and / I can not lie. You other / brothers can't deny
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Classic vs herO
IntoTheiNu 1073
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech171
CosmosSc2 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 47734
Shuttle 7957
FanTaSy 1811
Hyuk 561
Horang2 476
BeSt 452
Pusan 333
EffOrt 230
Soma 149
Last 136
[ Show more ]
Mind 127
Zeus 112
hero 73
ggaemo 73
Sea.KH 73
Killer 64
Sexy 64
Hyun 59
Snow 52
Aegong 51
PianO 32
ToSsGirL 31
Bale 24
JYJ 20
NaDa 19
zelot 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Rock 9
Sacsri 9
Noble 8
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc2409
qojqva1767
Dendi1204
XcaliburYe313
420jenkins29
Counter-Strike
fl0m3103
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu569
Khaldor454
Other Games
gofns38577
B2W.Neo905
byalli445
Beastyqt443
Mlord265
Livibee202
Hui .177
ArmadaUGS110
Mew2King62
QueenE13
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick726
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream54
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3038
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
1h 32m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 32m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 32m
Replay Cast
9h 32m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 32m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
21h 32m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 21h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.