• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:51
CEST 06:51
KST 13:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7578 users

Ask and answer stupid questions here! - Page 192

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 190 191 192 193 194 783 Next
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
February 09 2015 23:05 GMT
#3821
Here is a question I have, I am going to Korea this Summer, do I need an international drivers permit to get around, or can I BS my way around, not drive like a complete prick, and skip from Seoul to Mokpo to Busan no problem?

The drive is like 4 hours, that is less than Minneapolis to Chicago, ez pz.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
February 10 2015 00:21 GMT
#3822
On February 10 2015 08:01 GreenHorizons wrote:
Do other countries do this bullshit with gas prices?

[image loading]

You'd be surprised how many people don't know the 9/10 at the end of the price means they charge you 9/10 of a penny more than the big numbers.

Fractions of a penny are rounded up as a rule also. So unless you buy at least 10 gallons they are getting that full extra penny on each gallon.

I don't understand why it's allowed for gas but practically nothing else?


Who cares about pennies?
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
February 10 2015 00:48 GMT
#3823
On February 10 2015 09:21 IgnE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2015 08:01 GreenHorizons wrote:
Do other countries do this bullshit with gas prices?

[image loading]

You'd be surprised how many people don't know the 9/10 at the end of the price means they charge you 9/10 of a penny more than the big numbers.

Fractions of a penny are rounded up as a rule also. So unless you buy at least 10 gallons they are getting that full extra penny on each gallon.

I don't understand why it's allowed for gas but practically nothing else?


Who cares about pennies?


Well when you selling in the billions of gallons those pennies add up right? Not that I don't notice the other gouging.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Yoav
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1874 Posts
February 10 2015 01:09 GMT
#3824
I am so not gonna complain about gas prices right now so I don't jinx it, but yeah, the US is weird as fuck when it comes to pricing rules. I guess lots of places have their bullshit quirks (table fees come to mind), but the whole thing is major BS where they tell you "Oh, this is the price of the thing. Is that what you pay? No, you pay this plus tax. What's tax in this piss-poor excuse for a state? Fuck if we know, look it up bitch."

New Hampshire, on the other hand, is God's country. :-)
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44352 Posts
February 10 2015 01:10 GMT
#3825
On February 10 2015 08:01 GreenHorizons wrote:
Do other countries do this bullshit with gas prices?

[image loading]

You'd be surprised how many people don't know the 9/10 at the end of the price means they charge you 9/10 of a penny more than the big numbers.

Fractions of a penny are rounded up as a rule also. So unless you buy at least 10 gallons they are getting that full extra penny on each gallon.

I don't understand why it's allowed for gas but practically nothing else?

Was watching a Chevron I pass on the way to work for the last few days as they held it at 1.999 and then jumped all the way to 209.99 overnight.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
February 10 2015 01:28 GMT
#3826
Still paying way less than most European countries so I'm not complaining about a penny.
Verrou
Profile Joined July 2013
France193 Posts
February 10 2015 09:00 GMT
#3827
On January 26 2015 01:35 Amanebak wrote:
I apologize in advance for my stupid and childish question. I just wonder what is the maximum subset of acitivities that can be done by one person within one second from these: {belch, fart, sneeze, hiccup}. How to prepare oneself for trying to achieve this? Thanks.




I managed to do all of them and throw up at the same time when I was 13. It wasn't a pleasent experience, and resulted from being sick.


Still, I am proud of this achievement and I would like to thank my family, my professors and my friends, since it's them who told me to stay in school that day despite me clearly needing some rest.
Black^ / n0tail / Misery / Lanm - Nyx/Windrunner/Slardar
Fecalfeast
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada11355 Posts
February 10 2015 09:18 GMT
#3828
On February 10 2015 08:01 GreenHorizons wrote:
Do other countries do this bullshit with gas prices?

[image loading]

You'd be surprised how many people don't know the 9/10 at the end of the price means they charge you 9/10 of a penny more than the big numbers.

Fractions of a penny are rounded up as a rule also. So unless you buy at least 10 gallons they are getting that full extra penny on each gallon.

I don't understand why it's allowed for gas but practically nothing else?

It's just like selling something for 39.99 in a shop, it's really $40 but the first number is 3 which makes your brain think a whole tens place lower at first...
Why should companies have to cater to people who don't understand a fraction? I could probably charge $39.99+9/10 of a cent if I really wanted to, though it doesn't make sense since it's probably not sold in the bulk amount gas is.

ModeratorINFLATE YOUR POST COUNT; PLAY TL MAFIA
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
February 10 2015 09:20 GMT
#3829
On February 10 2015 10:28 Najda wrote:
Still paying way less than most European countries so I'm not complaining about a penny.


It's more the advertising that pisses me off than anything. Gas is somewhat a separate issue. I'm not sure if it pisses me off more that they do it or that it works both on the subliminal level and people who don't realize they are paying those pennies (not that most would even care).
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-10 10:20:59
February 10 2015 10:20 GMT
#3830
On February 10 2015 08:05 ThomasjServo wrote:
Here is a question I have, I am going to Korea this Summer, do I need an international drivers permit to get around, or can I BS my way around, not drive like a complete prick, and skip from Seoul to Mokpo to Busan no problem?

The drive is like 4 hours, that is less than Minneapolis to Chicago, ez pz.


Public Transport in SKorea is good. You don't need a car if you don't want to randomly drive around on your own.
Gowerly
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United Kingdom916 Posts
February 10 2015 11:49 GMT
#3831
On February 10 2015 18:18 Fecalfeast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2015 08:01 GreenHorizons wrote:
Do other countries do this bullshit with gas prices?

[image loading]

You'd be surprised how many people don't know the 9/10 at the end of the price means they charge you 9/10 of a penny more than the big numbers.

Fractions of a penny are rounded up as a rule also. So unless you buy at least 10 gallons they are getting that full extra penny on each gallon.

I don't understand why it's allowed for gas but practically nothing else?

It's just like selling something for 39.99 in a shop, it's really $40 but the first number is 3 which makes your brain think a whole tens place lower at first...
Why should companies have to cater to people who don't understand a fraction? I could probably charge $39.99+9/10 of a cent if I really wanted to, though it doesn't make sense since it's probably not sold in the bulk amount gas is.


I thought it came out of a distrust of employees. If something costs $40, you can get paid the exact money, so can just pocket it, but if it's 39.99, you're largely going to have to give change, so opening the till is required.
Could just be an old wives tale, though. Also surveillance these days.
I will reduce you to a series of numbers.
icystorage
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Jollibee19350 Posts
February 10 2015 11:55 GMT
#3832
nah. its a marketing ploy
LiquidDota StaffAre you ready for a Miracle-? We are! The International 2017 Champions!
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
February 10 2015 12:52 GMT
#3833
On February 10 2015 19:20 Velr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2015 08:05 ThomasjServo wrote:
Here is a question I have, I am going to Korea this Summer, do I need an international drivers permit to get around, or can I BS my way around, not drive like a complete prick, and skip from Seoul to Mokpo to Busan no problem?

The drive is like 4 hours, that is less than Minneapolis to Chicago, ez pz.


Public Transport in SKorea is good. You don't need a car if you don't want to randomly drive around on your own.

I would imagine it is, I just thought a road trip would be fun.
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
February 10 2015 13:41 GMT
#3834
On February 10 2015 20:49 Gowerly wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2015 18:18 Fecalfeast wrote:
On February 10 2015 08:01 GreenHorizons wrote:
Do other countries do this bullshit with gas prices?

[image loading]

You'd be surprised how many people don't know the 9/10 at the end of the price means they charge you 9/10 of a penny more than the big numbers.

Fractions of a penny are rounded up as a rule also. So unless you buy at least 10 gallons they are getting that full extra penny on each gallon.

I don't understand why it's allowed for gas but practically nothing else?

It's just like selling something for 39.99 in a shop, it's really $40 but the first number is 3 which makes your brain think a whole tens place lower at first...
Why should companies have to cater to people who don't understand a fraction? I could probably charge $39.99+9/10 of a cent if I really wanted to, though it doesn't make sense since it's probably not sold in the bulk amount gas is.


I thought it came out of a distrust of employees. If something costs $40, you can get paid the exact money, so can just pocket it, but if it's 39.99, you're largely going to have to give change, so opening the till is required.
Could just be an old wives tale, though. Also surveillance these days.


Well the shelf price almost never includes tax in the USA anyway so you'll have to pay more regardless (though some states are exempt).
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
February 10 2015 14:26 GMT
#3835
Gas is one of those few things that includes tax in the price tag in the states though. I don't know, I always read it as, "look the price is marginally lower than you may have expected."
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
February 10 2015 14:27 GMT
#3836
What I hate more than that are perpetual "sales" where things are "half off" all year round instead of just being labeled as normal price just to make people feel better about the purchase.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
February 10 2015 14:59 GMT
#3837
canada uses decimals, like normal numbers, instead of mixed fractions, like grade school math.
but similarly tax is included and is a huge portion of the price
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Coppermantis
Profile Joined June 2012
United States845 Posts
February 10 2015 15:36 GMT
#3838
On February 10 2015 18:18 Fecalfeast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2015 08:01 GreenHorizons wrote:
Do other countries do this bullshit with gas prices?



You'd be surprised how many people don't know the 9/10 at the end of the price means they charge you 9/10 of a penny more than the big numbers.

Fractions of a penny are rounded up as a rule also. So unless you buy at least 10 gallons they are getting that full extra penny on each gallon.

I don't understand why it's allowed for gas but practically nothing else?

It's just like selling something for 39.99 in a shop, it's really $40 but the first number is 3 which makes your brain think a whole tens place lower at first...
Why should companies have to cater to people who don't understand a fraction? I could probably charge $39.99+9/10 of a cent if I really wanted to, though it doesn't make sense since it's probably not sold in the bulk amount gas is.



Thing is, in places with sales tax (most of the states have this, I think), whether the listed price is $39.99 or $40, you'll be paying more than forty bucks either way.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18449 Posts
February 10 2015 15:39 GMT
#3839
On February 11 2015 00:36 Coppermantis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2015 18:18 Fecalfeast wrote:
On February 10 2015 08:01 GreenHorizons wrote:
Do other countries do this bullshit with gas prices?



You'd be surprised how many people don't know the 9/10 at the end of the price means they charge you 9/10 of a penny more than the big numbers.

Fractions of a penny are rounded up as a rule also. So unless you buy at least 10 gallons they are getting that full extra penny on each gallon.

I don't understand why it's allowed for gas but practically nothing else?

It's just like selling something for 39.99 in a shop, it's really $40 but the first number is 3 which makes your brain think a whole tens place lower at first...
Why should companies have to cater to people who don't understand a fraction? I could probably charge $39.99+9/10 of a cent if I really wanted to, though it doesn't make sense since it's probably not sold in the bulk amount gas is.



Thing is, in places with sales tax (most of the states have this, I think), whether the listed price is $39.99 or $40, you'll be paying more than forty bucks either way.

Which is also something I hate; just as expedia and similar sites leaving out the airport taxes and other fees on their initial prices. Tell me how much it'll cost me (unless you cater to companies, in which case tax exemption plays a far larger role, and it makes sense to quote the initial price without tax).
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
February 10 2015 18:32 GMT
#3840
I recently bought something from blizzard and paid for shipping at checkout but then i got a bill in the mail from fedex after too. I was bummed.
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Prev 1 190 191 192 193 194 783 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft254
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft658
PiGStarcraft254
RuFF_SC2 193
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 225
Stork 187
Leta 128
Hyuk 79
PianO 74
Bale 19
Icarus 9
yabsab 1
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm193
League of Legends
JimRising 684
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox705
C9.Mang0275
Westballz42
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor617
Other Games
summit1g7957
Coldzera 820
Sick125
ViBE80
ArmadaUGS39
Liquid`Ken8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick772
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream114
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 98
• Letter149
• Adnapsc2 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2142
League of Legends
• Lourlo1117
• Stunt401
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
5h 9m
Online Event
6h 9m
FEL
11h 9m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 9m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 9m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.