• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:01
CEST 03:01
KST 10:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War385.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9017 users

Vancouver Riots - Post Stanley Cup Final - Page 19

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 37 Next All
aeoliant
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada361 Posts
June 16 2011 14:49 GMT
#361
i totally expected this to happen... and i'm sure Van PD did too.

people are rioting because they are drunk and angry it doesn't mean canadians care enough about hockey to riot, they just care enough about hockey to be angry when their home team gets shut out in the finals, and when you're angry and drunk smashing things is fun
Utinni
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada1196 Posts
June 16 2011 14:50 GMT
#362
On June 16 2011 23:47 Kralic wrote:
It is really sad to see this, but Canadians are very fanatic when it comes to hockey. When Montreal is in the playoffs they riot every series the habs win not lose.

I am glad I don't live in a city with the potential of these riots to raise my taxes and waste tax payer money investigating. With all of this video footage a lot of people should be arrested and/or fined.

I could see/have seen every city with a team in Canada riot except maybe Ottawa (pish posh)
“... you don’t have to be Sun freakin Tzu to know that real fighting isn’t about killing or even hurting the other guy, it’s about scaring him enough to call it a day.” - Max Brooks: World War Z
lurked
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada918 Posts
June 16 2011 14:50 GMT
#363
On June 16 2011 23:44 Liquid`Nazgul wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
are they all Idra fans or something?


hahahahaha <3

I thought something like that, but didn't want to pass as a troll so I didn't post it... ^^

You sir are awesome.
Magic is "just" magic until I get my hands on the source code.
Dagobert
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Netherlands1858 Posts
June 16 2011 14:52 GMT
#364
On June 16 2011 14:11 EvokedSet wrote:
Burn our own city to the ground. That'll teach them.

Seriously, some people are so fucking stupid. Ahahahaha. To damage property and give everyone a bad time because of a sports event? They weren't even playing. Tribal self-esteem-less idiots.
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
June 16 2011 14:53 GMT
#365
On June 16 2011 23:42 cursor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 23:36 Roe wrote:
I never understand these sports riots. Tribalism in the modern age I guess

I'll blame this on media in general. And on the culture that kind of exists as a result of that... which is just ridiculous. Sports? Really?

There are many things in this world to riot about, to be upset about, but Hockey or any sport is not one of them. It actually makes me more upset to think of all the other shit wrong and that people WOULD actually riot but only if their blue colored team wins or loses. That's just sick.

All this crap on TV and Radio and in print just blows up the importance of this crap in people's minds. It's really just a joke. And... if you've got the balls to get drunk and charge police lines and burn shit... do it because of a G8 meeting or a war or the IMF... just goes to show actually WHY our world is so fucked up and where priorities are.


how on earth can you blame this on the media???
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
Flaccid
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
8927 Posts
June 16 2011 14:57 GMT
#366
Stay classy, Vancouver!

Honestly though, anyone with half a brain and half an eye towards history saw this coming loud and clear. This would have happened win or lose as it's more or less tangential to the actual hockey happening. It's an excuse to fuck shit up and an excuse that Vancouver has acted on in the past. I love the city, but that doesn't mean this comes at all as a surprise.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Dhystopia
Profile Joined April 2011
United States27 Posts
June 16 2011 15:01 GMT
#367
On June 16 2011 23:42 cursor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 23:36 Roe wrote:
I never understand these sports riots. Tribalism in the modern age I guess

I'll blame this on media in general. And on the culture that kind of exists as a result of that... which is just ridiculous. Sports? Really?

There are many things in this world to riot about, to be upset about, but Hockey or any sport is not one of them. It actually makes me more upset to think of all the other shit wrong and that people WOULD actually riot but only if their blue colored team wins or loses. That's just sick.

All this crap on TV and Radio and in print just blows up the importance of this crap in people's minds. It's really just a joke. And... if you've got the balls to get drunk and charge police lines and burn shit... do it because of a G8 meeting or a war or the IMF... just goes to show actually WHY our world is so fucked up and where priorities are.


Oh you mean like the trash anarchists that did this shit in Seattle at WTO? Yeah all those people were heroes .... they really cared so much about free trade... smashing starbucks windows really helped the cause ROFL. Stay ignorant
Castrophy
Profile Joined November 2010
United States232 Posts
June 16 2011 15:02 GMT
#368
Let me try and give a little bit of perspective here. I am an American who lives very close to the border. I live in a city that lives hockey. I would say the passion for a hockey team that canadians have can only be rivaled by Buffalo and Detroit. I can totally understand were the Canucks fans are coming from. As someone said earlier in the thread as a Canadian you are born with one dream. That is to raise the stanely cup above your head. Since most will never get the chance to they rely on there home town team to do it for them.

Now losing game 7 at home to a team that many concidered the underdog is one of the most heart breaking things that could happen to that city. I would go as far to say that this game ment as much to Canuck fans as the World Cup does to people in countries like England and Spain. They are most deffinatly angry and when you mix in Alcohol this was bound to happen. When you are drunk and somthing terrible happens instead of getting sad you get Angry and this is the sort of thing that happens when you have thousands of drunk angry people on the streets.
TheGiz
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada708 Posts
June 16 2011 15:05 GMT
#369
Vancouver was the underdog...
Life is not about making due with what you have; it's about finding out just how much you can achieve. Never settle for anything less than the best. - - - Read my blog!
Castrophy
Profile Joined November 2010
United States232 Posts
June 16 2011 15:07 GMT
#370
On June 17 2011 00:05 TheGiz wrote:
Vancouver was the underdog...


Vancouver won the presidents trophy..
tdynasty
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada220 Posts
June 16 2011 15:08 GMT
#371
So the Canucks fan pulled an Idra.

left game without "GG" then turned around and smashed key board/ monitor/ bedroom door.

Good thing I stopped watching hockey after the Canadiens got demolished.
God raging with this many people is amazingly scary.
I can't imagine the sc2 community rioting we would have some serious rage issues.
French Canada
Ganjamaster
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Argentina475 Posts
June 16 2011 15:09 GMT
#372
On June 17 2011 00:02 Castrophy wrote:
Let me try and give a little bit of perspective here. I am an American who lives very close to the border. I live in a city that lives hockey. I would say the passion for a hockey team that canadians have can only be rivaled by Buffalo and Detroit. I can totally understand were the Canucks fans are coming from. As someone said earlier in the thread as a Canadian you are born with one dream. That is to raise the stanely cup above your head. Since most will never get the chance to they rely on there home town team to do it for them.

Now losing game 7 at home to a team that many concidered the underdog is one of the most heart breaking things that could happen to that city. I would go as far to say that this game ment as much to Canuck fans as the World Cup does to people in countries like England and Spain. They are most deffinatly angry and when you mix in Alcohol this was bound to happen. When you are drunk and somthing terrible happens instead of getting sad you get Angry and this is the sort of thing that happens when you have thousands of drunk angry people on the streets.



Why don´t you say that you are from Buffalo and be done with it?. My best friend/roomate from college was from Buffalo and in Hockey season he went absolotely nuts. I went to a couple of games with him in Buffalo and it was awesome, I still treasure the retro Blue and Gold sabres jersey I use every winter. It is still pretty crazy to me that fans can go that crazy (and unchecked) in first line, first world countries such as Canada.

and also, LOL at spanish soccer fans, nowhere near as extreme as in England, Brazil or Argentina for that matter, they are pretty tame (I was in Spain when they were eliminated by France in 06).
My hoes be the thickest, my dro.. the stickiest
andrewlt
Profile Joined August 2009
United States7702 Posts
June 16 2011 15:11 GMT
#373
On June 16 2011 23:16 Chill wrote:
This is pretty embarassing. I'm shocked that Vancouver, of all Canadian cities, did this.



I'm surprised, too. I have relatives in Richmond and I thought Vancouver's demographic is mostly retirees and Chinese immigrants.
theaxis12
Profile Joined March 2011
United States489 Posts
June 16 2011 15:19 GMT
#374
Bobby Luongo has to be shaking in his boots right now holed up in his safe room somewhere.
Shut your mouth and put your head back in the clouds.
xxxxxxb
Profile Joined October 2009
155 Posts
June 16 2011 15:19 GMT
#375
On June 16 2011 23:21 Mykill wrote:
Reasons to have a riot around the world.

Greeks - Your government is broke and can't fix itself.
Egypt - Prime minister is terrible and people are being sent into forced disappearance WWII style
Libya - Your leader is killing civilians
Canada - We lost the Stanley cup.


I witnessed only one major riot in my country and it also had a political/economical background. But I guess those are the joys of living on a rich country; you destroy things that you may end up paying with your own taxes just because of the most banal thing you can imagine.
And don't play the passion card on me, my country is also very "passionate", but in cases like this you normally see the stadium and adjacents getting damaged, not people rampaging over the whole city.

Also, there is one thing that surprises me. Don't they have laws, judges, jails and stuff in Canada? Because I saw a lot of people with the face uncovered and nonchalantly posing for cameras. Even if drunk you have to be incredibly stupid to do that.
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
June 16 2011 15:22 GMT
#376
On June 17 2011 00:11 andrewlt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 23:16 Chill wrote:
This is pretty embarassing. I'm shocked that Vancouver, of all Canadian cities, did this.



I'm surprised, too. I have relatives in Richmond and I thought Vancouver's demographic is mostly retirees and Chinese immigrants.


You think Asians can't throw down homie???

[image loading]
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
lurked
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada918 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 15:24:56
June 16 2011 15:22 GMT
#377
On June 17 2011 00:11 andrewlt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 23:16 Chill wrote:
This is pretty embarassing. I'm shocked that Vancouver, of all Canadian cities, did this.



I'm surprised, too. I have relatives in Richmond and I thought Vancouver's demographic is mostly retirees and Chinese immigrants.


It would have been ANY city where the final match was played, Vancouver is for nothing.

Ask to the people who took part in the riot if they're from Vancouver. I'd bet a lot that not that many people actually live in the town they were attempting to destroy...
Magic is "just" magic until I get my hands on the source code.
fert
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada71 Posts
June 16 2011 15:26 GMT
#378
On June 17 2011 00:11 andrewlt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 23:16 Chill wrote:
This is pretty embarassing. I'm shocked that Vancouver, of all Canadian cities, did this.



I'm surprised, too. I have relatives in Richmond and I thought Vancouver's demographic is mostly retirees and Chinese immigrants.


Gotta keep in mind the number of people doing the rioting, the numbers CTV was throwing out there to try to make it sound like a huge riot was "thousands", which after an hour or so they had to start saying "hundreds" but what it really looked like was one hundred people.

There are definetly one hundred to one thousand young university age males (like me) who live in Vancouver, who were drunk enough to use the game as an excuse to break some stuff (not like me). So I really don't think we should look down on the whole city for this.

Idiots will be idiots regardless, some girl was quoted as saying her boyfriend drove his truck into downtown last night with a bunch of jerry cans full of gas just in case they lost so he could set it on fire...like really? Ugh....
lurked
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada918 Posts
June 16 2011 15:27 GMT
#379
On June 17 2011 00:19 xxxxxxb wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 23:21 Mykill wrote:
Reasons to have a riot around the world.

Greeks - Your government is broke and can't fix itself.
Egypt - Prime minister is terrible and people are being sent into forced disappearance WWII style
Libya - Your leader is killing civilians
Canada - We lost the Stanley cup.


I witnessed only one major riot in my country and it also had a political/economical background. But I guess those are the joys of living on a rich country; you destroy things that you may end up paying with your own taxes just because of the most banal thing you can imagine.
And don't play the passion card on me, my country is also very "passionate", but in cases like this you normally see the stadium and adjacents getting damaged, not people rampaging over the whole city.

Also, there is one thing that surprises me. Don't they have laws, judges, jails and stuff in Canada? Because I saw a lot of people with the face uncovered and nonchalantly posing for cameras. Even if drunk you have to be incredibly stupid to do that.


Well, I guess that when we have almost no major issues to worry about in our country, we have to create our own, often unimportant, reasons to riot and incite revolution... -_-
Magic is "just" magic until I get my hands on the source code.
Boundless
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada588 Posts
June 16 2011 15:29 GMT
#380
On June 16 2011 22:55 TheGiz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 22:53 Boundless wrote:
Also, Vancouver fans have no class. Real fans of the game of hockey can appreciate the efforts of a better team, instead of booing the Stanley Cup winners and burning police cars outside.


I think they were just booing Bettman, because he hates the Canadian market and wants desperately for Black people to watch hockey games. He is probably sick that Atlanta is moving to Winnipeg. Bettman relished giving the cup to Chara though, I could hear it in his voice.

Everybody boos Bettman, but they definitely continued booing and also increased the volume when Thomas was handed the Conn Smythe.
"Sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace." - Romans 6:14
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings101
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE161
SpeCial 123
StarCraft: Brood War
Bale 25
Sharp 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever570
NeuroSwarm187
League of Legends
Doublelift4616
Counter-Strike
taco 304
Other Games
summit1g5918
JimRising 462
C9.Mang0347
ToD97
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick666
StarCraft 2
BasetradeTV155
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 102
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP78
• poizon28 40
• davetesta26
• Adnapsc2 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra919
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
8h 59m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
15h 59m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 59m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
Patches Events
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.