• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:08
CEST 12:08
KST 19:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8174 users

We will get a second sun - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Boonbag
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
France3318 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-21 08:37:49
January 21 2011 08:37 GMT
#21
Empyerean please stop pretending you're a Wizard. Only Wizards Know that many things and you're obviously not a Wizard.

I seen Gandalf in lotr and you aint Gandalf. You're a fraud.
Icx
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Belgium853 Posts
January 21 2011 08:37 GMT
#22
can you clarify this for me:

Is the observation of betelgeuze losing mass actually an observation off the star itself or basicly from the light that we get from it (I have no idea how they actually measure those things).

So let's say this happened a bit more then 600 years ago, it's actually possible (altough we would have to be incredibly lucky) to see this in 2012 or later.

Or is this an observation of the star itself, and even if this happens in 2012 it will still take 600+ years for that light to reach earth?
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
January 21 2011 08:38 GMT
#23
On January 21 2011 17:37 Boonbag wrote:
Empyerean please stop pretending you're a Wizard. Only Wizards Know that many things and you're obviously not a Wizard.

I seen Gandalf in lotr and you aint Gandalf. You're a fraud.

"Empyrerean" just strikes me as a like, ancient word for wizard/genius or something.

So yeah, he probably does know everything.
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-21 08:41:09
January 21 2011 08:39 GMT
#24
On January 21 2011 17:37 Icx wrote:
can you clarify this for me:

Is the observation of betelgeuze losing mass actually an observation off the star itself or basicly from the light that we get from it (I have no idea how they actually measure those things).

So let's say this happened a bit more then 600 years ago, it's actually possible (altough we would have to be incredibly lucky) to see this in 2012 or later.

Or is this an observation of the star itself, and even if this happens in 2012 it will still take 600+ years for that light to reach earth?


Think critically about this one for a second; light is currently the fastest known measurable speed. Unless we have a magic way to learn about distant objects - faster than the speed of light, then there's no way we can measure properties of distant objects faster than we would be able to observe radiation coming from it.
Moderator
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-21 08:44:31
January 21 2011 08:40 GMT
#25
Yeah sorry the truth is nowhere near as "exciting" as stories passed off by second-rate journalists who can't get their facts straight and should have no business reporting anything related to science.
Moderator
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-21 08:47:24
January 21 2011 08:45 GMT
#26
On January 21 2011 17:14 Empyrean wrote:
EDIT: I'm not going to bother responding to any of this 2012 business either. Those of you who think something might actually happen are profoundly deluded.


Not to derail the thread too much, but if too many people honestly believe something will happen then they may cause something to happen. Thankfully I believe that most people aren't that retarded.

Edit: obviously people here can't cause a supernova there... should go without saying that when I say "cause something" I mean something a little more down to earth.
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
Icx
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Belgium853 Posts
January 21 2011 08:46 GMT
#27
yes you are right, that probably was a bit of a silly question.

But for some reason when I read that betelgeuze is 640 lightyears from earth I didn't realize it would be close to impossible to actually measure it from that star itself.

(well I may sound stupid again, but I guess even if they had the technology a long time ago, the thing used to measure (can't think of the english name atm) that would probably still be on it's way to there
Okmanl
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4 Posts
January 21 2011 08:46 GMT
#28
*gasp*

User was warned for this post
Roblin
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden948 Posts
January 21 2011 08:47 GMT
#29
On January 21 2011 17:08 numLoCK wrote:
That would be interesting, but your source doesn't seem like something I'd believe in right away.
If it were true, and it means that we won't have night, then that would cause serious problems for many species on the planet, wouldn't it?

since it will only be for a couple of weeks, I personally doubt any species will go extinct, though there is that possibillity, but the most major problems I think will be cat-animals, bats, snakes and other nocturnal creatures, us humans and other non-nocturnal creatures will simply struggle a bit more with falling asleep (of course a major problem for some animals in and of itself).
I'm better today than I was yesterday!
starfries
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada3508 Posts
January 21 2011 08:47 GMT
#30
On January 21 2011 17:34 Empyrean wrote:
From wikipedia:

Show nested quote +
The most widely-accepted mechanism for the origin of long-duration GRBs is the collapsar model,[56] in which the core of an extremely massive, low-metallicity, rapidly-rotating star collapses into a black hole in the final stages of its evolution. Matter near the star's core rains down towards the center and swirls into a high-density accretion disk. The infall of this material into a black hole drives a pair of relativistic jets out along the rotational axis, which pummel through the stellar envelope and eventually break through the stellar surface and radiate as gamma rays.

Oh I did read that, for some reason I thought you and MageSoren were talking about something else. Fortunately Betelgeuse is a lot smaller than the kind of stars you need for those hypernovae. It still would be pretty sweet to see a nearby supernova though.
DJ – do you like ramen, Savior? Savior – not really. Bisu – I eat it often. Flash – I’m a maniac! | Foxer Fighting!
MassHysteria
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3678 Posts
January 21 2011 08:47 GMT
#31
Hmm this article should be added to the post which can kind of delves into the reports. It discredits some of the authors' statements from the reports and clears up some questions.

http://news.discovery.com/space/dont-panic-betelgeuse-wont-explode-in-2012.html
"Just ban all the J's...even jinklejoes" --unnamed source
SpiritoftheTunA
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States20903 Posts
January 21 2011 08:49 GMT
#32
as a physics nerd: what empyrean said
posting on liquid sites in current year
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
January 21 2011 08:50 GMT
#33
On January 21 2011 17:47 Roblin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 21 2011 17:08 numLoCK wrote:
That would be interesting, but your source doesn't seem like something I'd believe in right away.
If it were true, and it means that we won't have night, then that would cause serious problems for many species on the planet, wouldn't it?

since it will only be for a couple of weeks, I personally doubt any species will go extinct, though there is that possibillity, but the most major problems I think will be cat-animals, bats, snakes and other nocturnal creatures, us humans and other non-nocturnal creatures will simply struggle a bit more with falling asleep (of course a major problem for some animals in and of itself).


At least try to read some of the thread before posting :/

Quite simply, nothing of the sort will ever happen.
Moderator
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
January 21 2011 08:52 GMT
#34
On January 21 2011 17:46 Icx wrote:
yes you are right, that probably was a bit of a silly question.

But for some reason when I read that betelgeuze is 640 lightyears from earth I didn't realize it would be close to impossible to actually measure it from that star itself.

(well I may sound stupid again, but I guess even if they had the technology a long time ago, the thing used to measure (can't think of the english name atm) that would probably still be on it's way to there


Any measuring device we have, no matter how far it is from earth, can only send a signal back to earth at the speed of light. And I'm pretty sure Voyager has not even left our solar system yet, so the point is pretty much moot regardless.
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
Xkalibert
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1404 Posts
January 21 2011 08:52 GMT
#35

Did you guys know 1988 film Beetlejuice name is inspired by BETELGEUSE.


"The star's unusual name inspired the 1988 film Beetlejuice, and script writer Michael McDowell was impressed at how many people made the connection. He added they had received a suggestion the sequel be named Sanduleak-69 202 after the former star of SN 1987A."
Okmanl
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4 Posts
January 21 2011 08:54 GMT
#36
*gasp*

User was temp banned for this post.
Maenander
Profile Joined November 2002
Germany4927 Posts
January 21 2011 08:54 GMT
#37
The chances that BeteIgeuse goes supernova in our lifetime aren't nil, but not that high either.

We can't even pinpoint the exact mass of BeteIgeuse at the moment let alone know what is going on inside the core of the star, i.e. the part that matters, other than that it has probably already ignited helium burning.
Icx
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Belgium853 Posts
January 21 2011 08:54 GMT
#38
That's what I meant when I said that I'm gonna sound stupid again :p
When I think about that sort of stuff I always forget things like that.

@ MassHysteria

I added your post to the OP
Roblin
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden948 Posts
January 21 2011 08:54 GMT
#39
On January 21 2011 17:39 Empyrean wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 21 2011 17:37 Icx wrote:
can you clarify this for me:

Is the observation of betelgeuze losing mass actually an observation off the star itself or basicly from the light that we get from it (I have no idea how they actually measure those things).

So let's say this happened a bit more then 600 years ago, it's actually possible (altough we would have to be incredibly lucky) to see this in 2012 or later.

Or is this an observation of the star itself, and even if this happens in 2012 it will still take 600+ years for that light to reach earth?


Think critically about this one for a second; light is currently the fastest known measurable speed. Unless we have a magic way to learn about distant objects - faster than the speed of light, then there's no way we can measure properties of distant objects faster than we would be able to observe radiation coming from it.


essentially meaning: what we see is happening 600 lightyears away actually happened 600 years ago, it just took the light 600 years to come here and tell us.

so when we say "that star 600 light years away will go supernova in about 2 years" that actually means "that star 600 light years away went supernova ≈598 years ago, but we will not be affected by it for another 2 years since the effects wont reach us until then"
I'm better today than I was yesterday!
hifriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
China7935 Posts
January 21 2011 08:54 GMT
#40
I wish there were multiple Empyrean's to go around for all internet discussion venues related to this type of sensationalist pseudo-science reporting.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 22013
firebathero 2201
Bisu 720
Hyuk 443
Horang2 272
BeSt 210
Sexy 123
EffOrt 121
Larva 120
Leta 112
[ Show more ]
Soma 98
Light 94
Killer 83
Dewaltoss 82
ZerO 52
ToSsGirL 48
Rush 41
Pusan 40
soO 40
Sharp 37
Yoon 36
Barracks 33
Shinee 25
Bale 23
Aegong 21
NaDa 18
Sacsri 18
sorry 17
Hm[arnc] 16
JulyZerg 11
Noble 6
Terrorterran 4
Dota 2
Fuzer 178
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1254
byalli749
kRYSTAL_49
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor952
crisheroes770
Other Games
gofns32858
singsing1717
olofmeister1068
Mew2King99
ArmadaUGS41
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream160
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2378
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
2h 53m
OSC
11h 53m
CranKy Ducklings
23h 53m
Online Event
1d
FEL
1d 5h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.