• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:08
CEST 11:08
KST 18:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6856 users

TL a little too strict on speech? - Page 24

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 Next All
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
September 26 2010 03:16 GMT
#461
I only get offended when I feel the criticism is unjustified (some criticism in this thread has been justified). When people link to the offending post/thread and it turns out that there really was a screw up then that's actually good and hopefully we can fix it.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Spyridon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States997 Posts
September 27 2010 00:49 GMT
#462
On September 26 2010 05:59 micronesia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2010 05:30 Spyridon wrote:
Eh, I think that guy mentioned in the OP kinda deserved it...

But to be honest, I think there is some form of favor in the bannings. Sometimes people have been banned for very minor things (which should have been a warning at most), where other people in the same thread went on to attack others in the post - and they were not banned simply because the mods were in agreement with them. Ironically, the ones who were banned were the ones with differing opinions from the mods...

I've even had it happen to me once. Never even got a warning - just a week ban for expressing my opinion (in a fashion that did not go against any of TL's list of rules).

And while this is going on, theres countless other worthless posts that are let go? Many not even having a valid discussion with people flaming eachother... but others get banned that are expressing legitimate opinons? Doesnt make much sense.

But w/e, what are you going to do? I guess you cant have more bans without people getting banned who dont deserve it, or less people that dont deserve it getting banned w/o less overall bans.

Can you substantiate these claims by providing some evidence? Usually more goes into bans/warnings than is publicly viewable... like history, messages etc... this has all already been discussed in this thread.

I'm starting to get sick of threads like these... not because nobody should be allowed to talk about this stuff, but rather because I'm finding post after post of people complaining how they or their friends were mistreated and when you actually investigate 9/10 times they weren't.


I just mentioned my feelings about the issue because this is a public post. I'm not trying to make anyone look bad so I did not think it's necessary to post evidence publicly - only shared personal feelings on the topic at hand.

I was very upset when it happened, and I would have loved to have it looked in to at the time - but as I was banned I was obviously not able to contact any mods to investigate. I havent had any prior issues in my history, I dont even think I've ever send a PM or any sort of message. Did not even get a warning on that day (or in any other older topic's that I am aware of - but I havent went thru all of them. I've never recieved any PM's mentioning I've been warned though, if any are even sent).

It's kind of over and done with now as I'm not banned anymore, but If anyone with any sort of authority would still like to look in to it at this point, I would be happy to send a PM.
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-27 01:10:30
September 27 2010 00:55 GMT
#463
On September 27 2010 09:49 Spyridon wrote:
It's kind of over and done with now as I'm not banned anymore, but If anyone with any sort of authority would still like to look in to it at this point, I would be happy to send a PM.


I'd suggest PMing the mod in question (Plexa, in your case). You'll find we're actually not bad guys, even if we're the one that banned you. I'm always ready to justify my actions to anyone... remember, the end result that we want to achieve through the warning/banning process is to reform the way someone posts. Not to just needlessly punish someone for no reason.

Edit - LOL typo
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-27 00:57:27
September 27 2010 00:56 GMT
#464
Your 'personal feelings' don't help us improve TL though. Whenever we look back and find something was a mistake we try to ensure that it isn't repeated.

edit due to ninja by ETT: Yea BAN PLEXA!
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Vz0
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada378 Posts
September 27 2010 00:58 GMT
#465


"Come on guys... Idra isnt god... he gonna qq like every other zerg player because they didnt receive buff..."

User was warned for this post

User was temp banned for this post.


Is he exaggerating. Yes.

Is that on topic. No.

This is TL's forum, you have no say as to what "should" be ban worthy or not. TL does not have to be consistent with their ban/warns. When we sign up for an account @ TL we are completely aware of this.

There really is no such thing as "mod abuse" or "ban abuse" because to say "abuse" would imply that the action is "taking advantage of the power immorally or not following the rules" except TL mod/admins have no rules to stick to. They make the rules.



Ksyper
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Bulgaria665 Posts
September 27 2010 01:03 GMT
#466
I like it this way, if they weren't so quick to ban I would be posting all sorts of retarded stuff.
They keep me in line so I'm guessing it must work on other people too.
sylverfyre
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8298 Posts
September 27 2010 01:05 GMT
#467
If you're going to disagree with someone, you have to do it constructively.

The quote in the OP doesn't add anything even though it's a "disagreement", it's just trolling.

It isn't bannable for disagreement, it's bannable for being unconstructive and a waste of space on this forum - doubly so because it triggered about 7 replies that were ALSO off-topic as people jumped to tell the troll to shut up.
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-27 03:03:36
September 27 2010 02:28 GMT
#468
On September 25 2010 02:41 TryThis wrote:
personally, i think the fact that TL is strict is why i love it so much as a forum.
the post your talking about, really didnt benefit the thread whatsoever, in fact it was right on the way to ruining a good thread. as a result he got his bans.


^+1
fearus
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
China2164 Posts
September 27 2010 03:40 GMT
#469
Some mods are just more trigger happy than others, I just hope there is a much better consistency,

i.e. One mod can read through a thread and hand out 2 warns, another mod can read through the exact same thread and hand out 5 temp bans.

Fortunately the majority of the mods are much easier going then some of the trigger happy ones.

Also it is disappointing to see some of the ban comments from some mods as being pretty BM themselves. While some mods write out clear mannered reasons to why you have been banned and even suggest improvements, others are pretty immature by themselves.

Example of a good ban comment:

+ Show Spoiler +
ShLiM was just temp banned for 2 days by Tadzio.

That account was created on 2010-08-23 14:29:21 and had 18 posts.

Reason: Put more effort into your posts. Contentless posting is not welcome on TL, especially when you craft your non-messages with txting shortcuts. TL.net forums are not your personal Instant Messenger. Please do better.


Example of bad ban comments:

+ Show Spoiler +
leverage was just temp banned for 2 days by Kennigit.

That account was created on 2010-09-18 21:20:03 and had 1 posts.

Reason: First post. Shit thread


+ Show Spoiler +
GenoZStriker was just temp banned for 2 days by Kennigit.

That account was created on 2010-02-15 03:26:45 and had 591 posts.

Reason: Be constructive or gtfo


Bit of hypocrisy there...
bisu fanboy
mrmin123 *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Korea (South)2971 Posts
September 27 2010 03:42 GMT
#470
Hey, don't pick on Kennigit!
Translator태양은 묘지위에 붉게 떠오르고 / 한낮에 찌는 더위는 나의 시련 일찌라!
scrdmnttr
Profile Joined May 2010
United States96 Posts
September 27 2010 03:52 GMT
#471
On September 25 2010 02:45 zerglingsfolife wrote:
Are you kidding? That is the perfect example of a completely shitty post derailing the thread. He didn't even read the interview, made an assumption and like 5 posts on the first page were telling him he is an idiot instead of responding to the opening post.

If you want to troll, you can go to pretty much any other forum on the internet, just stay the fuck out of teamliquid. Free speech is cool as long as you follow the 10 commandments and in general, just be respectful.



Pretty much. I think that the mods do an excellent job. They reward thoughtful posts by punishing the people that obviously took no effort in their responses.
There is a plenty of leniency when it comes to free speech; just make sure that you're saying something intelligent and thought-out.

As far as I can tell, only the lazy or jerk-posters get banned or warned.
DarkspearTribe
Profile Joined August 2010
568 Posts
September 27 2010 03:56 GMT
#472
Like I said in previous thread

"Why wasn't he permanently banned?"
IdrA
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States11541 Posts
September 27 2010 04:04 GMT
#473
free speech is a stupid idea that only exists because we dont have a reasonable way to decide who gets to say what ideas are acceptable and what arent
those people exist on tl and the site would suck a lot worse if they were worried about free speech. they're not infallible but its far better than the alternative.
http://www.splitreason.com/product/1152 release the gracken tshirt now available
Surrealz
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States449 Posts
September 27 2010 04:17 GMT
#474
Idra has spoken.
1a2a3a
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
September 27 2010 04:30 GMT
#475
On September 27 2010 09:49 Spyridon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2010 05:59 micronesia wrote:
On September 26 2010 05:30 Spyridon wrote:
Eh, I think that guy mentioned in the OP kinda deserved it...

But to be honest, I think there is some form of favor in the bannings. Sometimes people have been banned for very minor things (which should have been a warning at most), where other people in the same thread went on to attack others in the post - and they were not banned simply because the mods were in agreement with them. Ironically, the ones who were banned were the ones with differing opinions from the mods...

I've even had it happen to me once. Never even got a warning - just a week ban for expressing my opinion (in a fashion that did not go against any of TL's list of rules).

And while this is going on, theres countless other worthless posts that are let go? Many not even having a valid discussion with people flaming eachother... but others get banned that are expressing legitimate opinons? Doesnt make much sense.

But w/e, what are you going to do? I guess you cant have more bans without people getting banned who dont deserve it, or less people that dont deserve it getting banned w/o less overall bans.

Can you substantiate these claims by providing some evidence? Usually more goes into bans/warnings than is publicly viewable... like history, messages etc... this has all already been discussed in this thread.

I'm starting to get sick of threads like these... not because nobody should be allowed to talk about this stuff, but rather because I'm finding post after post of people complaining how they or their friends were mistreated and when you actually investigate 9/10 times they weren't.


I just mentioned my feelings about the issue because this is a public post. I'm not trying to make anyone look bad so I did not think it's necessary to post evidence publicly - only shared personal feelings on the topic at hand.

I was very upset when it happened, and I would have loved to have it looked in to at the time - but as I was banned I was obviously not able to contact any mods to investigate. I havent had any prior issues in my history, I dont even think I've ever send a PM or any sort of message. Did not even get a warning on that day (or in any other older topic's that I am aware of - but I havent went thru all of them. I've never recieved any PM's mentioning I've been warned though, if any are even sent).

It's kind of over and done with now as I'm not banned anymore, but If anyone with any sort of authority would still like to look in to it at this point, I would be happy to send a PM.

I completely stand by that ban, and if you want to take it up with me I'm more than happy to discuss it with you .
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
LunarDestiny
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States4177 Posts
September 27 2010 04:32 GMT
#476
People should learn from Idra. He knows that free speech should not exist on TL. So he rather exercises that right in games.
Ichabod
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1659 Posts
September 27 2010 04:36 GMT
#477
On September 27 2010 12:40 fearus wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Example of bad ban comments:

+ Show Spoiler +
leverage was just temp banned for 2 days by Kennigit.

That account was created on 2010-09-18 21:20:03 and had 1 posts.

Reason: First post. Shit thread


+ Show Spoiler +
GenoZStriker was just temp banned for 2 days by Kennigit.

That account was created on 2010-02-15 03:26:45 and had 591 posts.

Reason: Be constructive or gtfo


Bit of hypocrisy there...


The context of the first ban seems pretty legitimate...its also only two days, much more like a slap on the wrist than an enormous usurping of power. (thread:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=155931)

As an aside: Linking to the post in question in the automatic ban thread could be helpful though, since context is quite important in understanding why someone was banned (and past posting histories), since the specific post is hard to find sometimes.

(can't find the post in question for genozstriker's ban, so I am unable to sufficiently comment on the subject)

geetarzero
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States217 Posts
September 27 2010 04:40 GMT
#478
mods definitely do a good job on here. They usually manage to slam the banhammer of justice (or a warning) to idiots that say stupid shit. except baller, because he's a genius.
sKyHigh? him? don't worry about it. (–_–)
skeldark
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2223 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-27 06:25:07
September 27 2010 04:42 GMT
#479
On September 27 2010 13:04 IdrA wrote:
free speech is a stupid idea that only exists because we dont have a reasonable way to decide who gets to say what ideas are acceptable and what arent
those people exist on tl and the site would suck a lot worse if they were worried about free speech. they're not infallible but its far better than the alternative.


i really hope you mean the first thing only for tl ( a place where you can decide to join or not).
if so i agree because on a place where your free to join or leave there is no point to allow total free speach. if someone comes into my house i would not allow him to say whatever he wants (like he blaming me or other of my guests)

if not i think you ... ( use the free mind to complete it... ^^)
Save gaming: kill esport
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
September 27 2010 04:49 GMT
#480
On September 27 2010 13:36 Ichabod wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 27 2010 12:40 fearus wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Example of bad ban comments:

+ Show Spoiler +
leverage was just temp banned for 2 days by Kennigit.

That account was created on 2010-09-18 21:20:03 and had 1 posts.

Reason: First post. Shit thread


+ Show Spoiler +
GenoZStriker was just temp banned for 2 days by Kennigit.

That account was created on 2010-02-15 03:26:45 and had 591 posts.

Reason: Be constructive or gtfo


Bit of hypocrisy there...


The context of the first ban seems pretty legitimate...its also only two days, much more like a slap on the wrist than an enormous usurping of power. (thread:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=155931)

As an aside: Linking to the post in question in the automatic ban thread could be helpful though, since context is quite important in understanding why someone was banned (and past posting histories), since the specific post is hard to find sometimes.

(can't find the post in question for genozstriker's ban, so I am unable to sufficiently comment on the subject)


many times bans are not for a single post but rather a combination of many things.
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2543
Leta 1274
actioN 543
BeSt 381
Mong 161
Dewaltoss 127
Killer 123
sorry 77
Larva 56
sSak 45
[ Show more ]
Bale 32
ZergMaN 31
ToSsGirL 31
Aegong 28
NotJumperer 23
yabsab 15
HiyA 12
Noble 10
Counter-Strike
byalli626
Other Games
summit1g11663
olofmeister965
Happy249
Sick203
crisheroes189
Pyrionflax128
KnowMe108
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick706
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos949
• Stunt428
Other Games
• WagamamaTV119
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
52m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1h 52m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 52m
Replay Cast
13h 52m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 1h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.