• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:31
CEST 07:31
KST 14:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8326 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 858

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 856 857 858 859 860 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Deleted User 173346
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
16169 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-08 00:40:26
March 07 2017 23:56 GMT
#17141
--- Nuked ---
Thaniri
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
1264 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-08 03:08:08
March 08 2017 03:07 GMT
#17142
@Manitou I frankly have no idea. I am such a novice that I don't even know about the things I don't know.

Thanks for the link though!!
DickMcFanny
Profile Blog Joined September 2015
Ireland1076 Posts
March 08 2017 08:16 GMT
#17143
Do you guys think one could create a game that runs natively in every HTML5 browser at the complexity of the SNES Zelda with controller support?
| (• ◡•)|╯ ╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Hanh
Profile Joined June 2016
146 Posts
March 08 2017 10:23 GMT
#17144
There is a snes emulator in Javascript that can run Zelda.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-08 15:24:25
March 08 2017 14:50 GMT
#17145
http://naildrivin5.com/blog/2012/07/17/adventures-in-functional-programming-with-ruby.html

[image loading]

And another good thing:
http://naildrivin5.com/blog/2013/05/17/source-code-typography.html

Especially for people doing JavaScript...

The most important part of a variable declaration is the name of the variable (the second being its default value). Putting a comma first creates at typographic roadblock between the reader and the information they need (the variable name). That a comma is required between variable declarations is one of the least important pieces of information in this code, yet it’s front and center. This is bad typography.


Whoever invented this "comma first" stuff is evil.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
waffelz
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
Germany711 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-08 20:02:02
March 08 2017 20:01 GMT
#17146
Can someone recommend a good ARM-emulator, preferably with some tools to inspect memory etc, support of C would be nice too but not a must. OS would be preferably windows, but linux would work too.
RIP "The big travis CS degree thread", taken from us too soon | Honourable forum princess, defended by Rebs-approved white knights
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
March 08 2017 20:57 GMT
#17147
--- Nuked ---
BluzMan
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Russian Federation4235 Posts
March 08 2017 22:09 GMT
#17148
On March 08 2017 23:50 Manit0u wrote:
http://naildrivin5.com/blog/2012/07/17/adventures-in-functional-programming-with-ruby.html

[image loading]

And another good thing:
http://naildrivin5.com/blog/2013/05/17/source-code-typography.html

Especially for people doing JavaScript...
Show nested quote +

The most important part of a variable declaration is the name of the variable (the second being its default value). Putting a comma first creates at typographic roadblock between the reader and the information they need (the variable name). That a comma is required between variable declarations is one of the least important pieces of information in this code, yet it’s front and center. This is bad typography.


Whoever invented this "comma first" stuff is evil.


God, please never ever do this in production code:
Let’s re-set the argument list, aligning like with like, forming a table structure


Anyone who thought of that never thought of using a VCS to merge stuff or auto-refactoring tools or even just manually renaming a variable. It's such a horrible habit people have despite any good styleguide (such as PEP8) explicitly recommending against it. Code is not there to look pretty, whitespace longer than one space should be used for indentation purposes only.

Also, commas in javascript are the saddest thing ever. Starting as an Internet Explorer parser bug, the lack of trailing comma in array definitions inexplicably made it's way into the JSON standard, giving literal thousands of people nightmares about VCS conflict resolution, turning an innocent "me and that other Joe both added an item to the same array, what could go wrong?" situation into a syntax error after the merge. I'm still amazed how this got silently accepted by everyone.
You want 20 good men, but you need a bad pussy.
shz
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Germany2687 Posts
March 08 2017 22:13 GMT
#17149
At least it will be fixed in ES2017: http://www.2ality.com/2016/02/ecmascript-2017.html
Liquipedia
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
March 08 2017 22:18 GMT
#17150
I ended up going to that amazon coding assessment/interview thing.

It came in 3 stages. First stage was easy, it was debugging various snippets with a short time limit. Clearly for weeding out. I aced it, I am sure most people did too. Second part was also easy. 24 logic puzzles. I doubt I missed many. Unfortunately I do know I missed one because I realized I misread it after I submitted it.

3rd part I kinda botched. It was 2 coding questions and you got 70 minutes total. First question I got right except I was only passing 15 out of 18 test cases.. not sure why, I must have not read the question closely enough. I decided to move on to the 2nd question and come back to question 1 if I had time. Second question, I understood the question - and had an idea of how to do it. But I think I didn't plan properly, and I committed to a poor plan and wasn't willing to scrap it. And I tried to hack my bad code to make it work and I wasn't able to solve my bugs in the time limit. So I ended up completely failing on the 2nd coding question despite understanding how I could solve it.

Oh well! I actually came in expecting to get my ass kicked. Most of the students there were going into senior year next year. Next time I have an assessment like this I am sure i will do much better.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
March 08 2017 22:19 GMT
#17151
On March 09 2017 07:13 shz wrote:
At least it will be fixed in ES2017: http://www.2ality.com/2016/02/ecmascript-2017.html


Not a fan of trailing commas in function arguments though. It introduces some uncertainty when reading code (does this function take any more parameters? Are they set to null this way? Did someone forget or accidentally removed something?).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
BluzMan
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Russian Federation4235 Posts
March 08 2017 23:10 GMT
#17152
On March 09 2017 07:13 shz wrote:
At least it will be fixed in ES2017: http://www.2ality.com/2016/02/ecmascript-2017.html

Lol why would JS need atomics haha. Strange times we live in.
You want 20 good men, but you need a bad pussy.
Deleted User 173346
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
16169 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-08 23:25:42
March 08 2017 23:25 GMT
#17153
--- Nuked ---
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-09 00:34:53
March 09 2017 00:04 GMT
#17154
There's no difference as long as the char array is terminated by a null character.

If you're reading the struct from read, or any network interface, you don't have that guarantee, so you have to sanitize the input. This is done by either force-writing a null character to the end, or reading only the char array into a buffer that you know is terminated with a null character.

Reading your client code, you initialize a size 14 array and then fgets 14 characters + 1 null character, which is beyond the end of the array, but then you also overwrite that array with a string? You also never open privateFIFO in your client so your server never unblocks.

https://linux.die.net/man/3/mkfifo

Once you have created a FIFO special file in this way, any process can open it for reading or writing, in the same way as an ordinary file. However, it has to be open at both ends simultaneously before you can proceed to do any input or output operations on it. Opening a FIFO for reading normally blocks until some other process opens the same FIFO for writing, and vice versa. See fifo(7) for nonblocking handling of FIFO special files.


You should really also,
declare struct variables (fromClient, toClient) locally instead of statically
declare main with the correct return type (int)
use functions to compartmentalize functionality
use a common header file to share code between the files
There is no one like you in the universe.
Deleted User 173346
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
16169 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-09 02:25:39
March 09 2017 02:18 GMT
#17155
--- Nuked ---
Neshapotamus
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States163 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-09 07:35:07
March 09 2017 07:29 GMT
#17156
Take backs, been fighting the flu.
Wrath
Profile Blog Joined July 2014
3175 Posts
March 09 2017 12:41 GMT
#17157
On March 09 2017 07:18 travis wrote:
I ended up going to that amazon coding assessment/interview thing.

It came in 3 stages. First stage was easy, it was debugging various snippets with a short time limit. Clearly for weeding out. I aced it, I am sure most people did too. Second part was also easy. 24 logic puzzles. I doubt I missed many. Unfortunately I do know I missed one because I realized I misread it after I submitted it.

3rd part I kinda botched. It was 2 coding questions and you got 70 minutes total. First question I got right except I was only passing 15 out of 18 test cases.. not sure why, I must have not read the question closely enough. I decided to move on to the 2nd question and come back to question 1 if I had time. Second question, I understood the question - and had an idea of how to do it. But I think I didn't plan properly, and I committed to a poor plan and wasn't willing to scrap it. And I tried to hack my bad code to make it work and I wasn't able to solve my bugs in the time limit. So I ended up completely failing on the 2nd coding question despite understanding how I could solve it.

Oh well! I actually came in expecting to get my ass kicked. Most of the students there were going into senior year next year. Next time I have an assessment like this I am sure i will do much better.


I like puzzels. Could you please share some?
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
March 09 2017 12:59 GMT
#17158
Is there anybody with tensorflow experience who wouldn't mind answering a few PMs? I'm trying to create a simple neural network but can't figure out how to preprocess and feed my data how it wants it.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
March 09 2017 16:56 GMT
#17159
On March 09 2017 21:41 Wrath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2017 07:18 travis wrote:
I ended up going to that amazon coding assessment/interview thing.

It came in 3 stages. First stage was easy, it was debugging various snippets with a short time limit. Clearly for weeding out. I aced it, I am sure most people did too. Second part was also easy. 24 logic puzzles. I doubt I missed many. Unfortunately I do know I missed one because I realized I misread it after I submitted it.

3rd part I kinda botched. It was 2 coding questions and you got 70 minutes total. First question I got right except I was only passing 15 out of 18 test cases.. not sure why, I must have not read the question closely enough. I decided to move on to the 2nd question and come back to question 1 if I had time. Second question, I understood the question - and had an idea of how to do it. But I think I didn't plan properly, and I committed to a poor plan and wasn't willing to scrap it. And I tried to hack my bad code to make it work and I wasn't able to solve my bugs in the time limit. So I ended up completely failing on the 2nd coding question despite understanding how I could solve it.

Oh well! I actually came in expecting to get my ass kicked. Most of the students there were going into senior year next year. Next time I have an assessment like this I am sure i will do much better.


I like puzzels. Could you please share some?


I can't because you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement and I am going to honor that. But I will tell you that they were not particularly hard, the only hard thing about them is solving them without making errors within the time limit. You wouldn't be particularly satisfied with them - any of us here would be able to answer them given enough time.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-09 20:09:26
March 09 2017 20:09 GMT
#17160
On March 09 2017 21:41 Wrath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 09 2017 07:18 travis wrote:
I ended up going to that amazon coding assessment/interview thing.

It came in 3 stages. First stage was easy, it was debugging various snippets with a short time limit. Clearly for weeding out. I aced it, I am sure most people did too. Second part was also easy. 24 logic puzzles. I doubt I missed many. Unfortunately I do know I missed one because I realized I misread it after I submitted it.

3rd part I kinda botched. It was 2 coding questions and you got 70 minutes total. First question I got right except I was only passing 15 out of 18 test cases.. not sure why, I must have not read the question closely enough. I decided to move on to the 2nd question and come back to question 1 if I had time. Second question, I understood the question - and had an idea of how to do it. But I think I didn't plan properly, and I committed to a poor plan and wasn't willing to scrap it. And I tried to hack my bad code to make it work and I wasn't able to solve my bugs in the time limit. So I ended up completely failing on the 2nd coding question despite understanding how I could solve it.

Oh well! I actually came in expecting to get my ass kicked. Most of the students there were going into senior year next year. Next time I have an assessment like this I am sure i will do much better.


I like puzzels. Could you please share some?


5-minute hard limit. Time yourself.

Find the longest palindromic substring in a list of strings.

For example, given strings: "carracecar", "aabbaa", "aabbbabab", return either "racecar" or 7.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Prev 1 856 857 858 859 860 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 76
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2038
Shuttle 988
Dewaltoss 85
Hm[arnc] 39
Bale 28
Noble 24
Yoon 20
ZergMaN 13
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm170
League of Legends
JimRising 637
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1184
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor738
Other Games
summit1g8560
C9.Mang0316
PiGStarcraft306
Mew2King154
RuFF_SC272
ViBE55
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream78
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 39
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2312
League of Legends
• Rush1085
• Lourlo967
• Stunt387
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
7h 29m
OSC
16h 29m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 4h
Online Event
1d 5h
FEL
1d 10h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 11h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 13h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.