• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:11
CEST 13:11
KST 20:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9455 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 586

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 584 585 586 587 588 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
nunez
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Norway4003 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-14 12:28:52
February 14 2015 12:10 GMT
#11701
compiler is more important than IDE, yes... at least when it comes to msvc vs gcc / clang...
unless you don't mind being stuck in last century. you can't easily emulate compiler functionality (what you are allowed to write), emulating IDE features is trivial (how you write). it's like saying i'd rather express myself with the pen than the pencil, even if that means the pen only allows me to write the words "stool", "floor" and "james". it's the elegance of the code that matters, not the elegance with which you wrote it...

regardless there are IDE's that easily let you use gcc or clang and are available on windows platform.
conspired against by a confederacy of dunces.
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
February 14 2015 15:03 GMT
#11702
Almost everyone I read online about vim tells me to rebind esc to tab, but doesn't that become a nightmare when your working in nest programs?
The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
February 14 2015 15:45 GMT
#11703
You should have caps lock become esc. Nobody uses caps lock (if you really use it, make esc caps lock), and it's a lot closer than the esc button.
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
February 14 2015 15:52 GMT
#11704
On February 15 2015 00:45 Arnstein wrote:
You should have caps lock become esc. Nobody uses caps lock (if you really use it, make esc caps lock), and it's a lot closer than the esc button.

I orginally meant tab but caps lock seems a good idea.
The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
February 14 2015 17:49 GMT
#11705
On February 14 2015 19:51 darkness wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2015 19:00 nunez wrote:
if you have the choice, go for gcc or clang...
not msvc...


So trade a compiler for an IDE? Sounds wise.

You can extend Vim and Emacs, and it seems there's a good chance that you can get it to do everything you want from an IDE from what I've seen (about people using Emacs at least).

The scripts in the editor can for example know all definitions in your project, meaning you can do things like jump to where the definition of what's under the cursor is even if it's in another file.

It's possible to run and process the result of external programs, and then for example collect a list of compiler errors that you can use to jump to where it is inside the editor, and it can highlight stuff in there.

Interaction with currently running external programs like a debugger is also possible, you can then set break points and stuff where you edit your code and this gets sent to the debugger, and then the other direction, the scripts can get to variable and register contents and whatnot from the running debugger and you can then browse that in a buffer inside the editor.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
TMG26
Profile Joined July 2012
Portugal2017 Posts
February 14 2015 18:21 GMT
#11706
~Why not just use an IDE that has some vim integration?
Supporter of the situational Blink Dagger on Storm.
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-14 18:48:27
February 14 2015 18:46 GMT
#11707
I guess you just slowly grow it into something you're happy with over the years, and then using that editor just feels like home.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-14 23:58:55
February 14 2015 23:58 GMT
#11708
On February 15 2015 03:21 TMG26 wrote:
~Why not just use an IDE that has some vim integration?


I don't want to turn on the "vim mode" in my IDE because I know it won't be vim.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-15 00:31:42
February 15 2015 00:29 GMT
#11709
On February 15 2015 08:58 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2015 03:21 TMG26 wrote:
~Why not just use an IDE that has some vim integration?


I don't want to turn on the "vim mode" in my IDE because I know it won't be vim.

Indeed. Most attempts at vim-style commands in IDEs/non-native implementations of vim in other text editors fall pretty flat. Sublime Text's, even with plug-ins to make them better, still aren't as smooth as native vim. In most IDEs it's even worse. I seem to remember Eclipse's being fairly janky too.

One thing I have seen with some IDEs (in cases where it is even possible of course) is people replacing the default text editor with vim in the IDE. My buddy does that with Eclipse (not sure how, but he insists it's actual vim). It's too bad that type of behaviour in IDEs is seldom supported.

On the general topic of learning vim and going "back to basics" by doing almost everything from the command line, I'm all for it. A lot of people I work with both in and outside of class are stuck in the "I only use Visual Studio/Eclipse for everything and have no idea how to use make or compile things by hand" mode. I find you learn way more having to do things by hand, and once you get a hold of how things work at a lower level, you can work as fast or faster from the command line in many situations.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
Cyx.
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada806 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-15 06:25:22
February 15 2015 06:09 GMT
#11710
On February 15 2015 09:29 Ben... wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2015 08:58 Manit0u wrote:
On February 15 2015 03:21 TMG26 wrote:
~Why not just use an IDE that has some vim integration?


I don't want to turn on the "vim mode" in my IDE because I know it won't be vim.

Indeed. Most attempts at vim-style commands in IDEs/non-native implementations of vim in other text editors fall pretty flat. Sublime Text's, even with plug-ins to make them better, still aren't as smooth as native vim. In most IDEs it's even worse. I seem to remember Eclipse's being fairly janky too.


I had a go at Eclipse's 'emacs mode' because I had to use Eclipse a couple months ago for a while... definitely a well-intentioned but tragically underpowered mode. Maybe I just didn't get that into it but it was just so hard to get it to feel like Emacs, things like the Eclipse autocomplete just get in the way and I end up typing things wrong more often than right =/

Not even getting started on the times I had to write C# for work and use VS... I kept hitting C-x C-s to save, which had the unfortunate effect of cutting the line I was working on then saving the file in a state I didn't want it to save in lol. I mean, all of these things are just familiarity things, and I know I could deal with them if I tried... but it seems *definitely* not worth the effort to me to use Emacs mode in any other editor, and they all kind of bother me in their default modes now
whotemp
Profile Joined June 2011
United States3 Posts
February 15 2015 08:32 GMT
#11711
Have you heard of Omnisharp? They claim to have added intellisense capabilities to vim/emacs or whatever else.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/OmniSharpMakingCrossplatformNETARealityAndAPleasure.aspx
Millitron
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2611 Posts
February 15 2015 18:23 GMT
#11712
Got a (hopefully quick) question. Is Python easily portable? Can I run the same Python executable on Mac, Windows, and Linux? How do all the different Linux builds affect this; will I be able to run the same stuff in Fedora as in Ubuntu?
Who called in the fleet?
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
February 15 2015 18:25 GMT
#11713
is my understanding of how java works correct here:

I have a class that has variable "int x =5". It also has a method that just says "x=10".

I create an arraylist. I make an instance of the class with the variables, I store the reference to it in the arraylist, position 0.

I make another instance of the class, and this time I call the method that changes x. I store the reference to it in the arraylist position 1.

Then my program does some other random stuff, it's irrelevant. Now I call up that array. I get position 0. I print reference.x. I call up position 1. print reference.x


Will it print 5, and 10?

If so, how does java know not to garbage collect my objects? And if not, how do I keep the objects around so that I can actually reference them from an arraylist?
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-15 18:35:22
February 15 2015 18:31 GMT
#11714
Yes it will print 5 and 10.

The garbage collector only deletes items that you can no longer access. When an item goes out of scope it will be collected by the garbage collector (eventually, the garbage isn't collected instantly). Your arraylist is still in scope so all the objects it holds are also still in scope and won't be collected.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
Millitron
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2611 Posts
February 15 2015 18:39 GMT
#11715
On February 16 2015 03:31 Blitzkrieg0 wrote:
Yes it will print 5 and 10.

The garbage collector only deletes items that you can no longer access. When an item goes out of scope it will be collected by the garbage collector (eventually, the garbage isn't collected instantly). Your arraylist is still in scope so all the objects it holds are also still in scope and won't be collected.

Further, int isn't a good example. It's a primitive that's stored literally. When you put x in an array, you're storing the value of x, not x. This is not true of more complex objects. Anything more complex than a primitive will store a reference in the array.
Who called in the fleet?
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-15 18:45:27
February 15 2015 18:43 GMT
#11716
On February 16 2015 03:23 Millitron wrote:
Got a (hopefully quick) question. Is Python easily portable? Can I run the same Python executable on Mac, Windows, and Linux? How do all the different Linux builds affect this; will I be able to run the same stuff in Fedora as in Ubuntu?


http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1883118/big-list-of-portability-in-python

It should be relatively easy to port if you adhere to few rules (not using system-specific modules, using system path separators, uniform newlines, making sure that size and endianess are correct etc.).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-15 18:50:57
February 15 2015 18:49 GMT
#11717
ok thanks. regarding x being a primitive it doesn't matter right? I am still storing reference to the object not to x.


Alright I have a followup question, I figured what you guys said is the case.

What if, in the example I gave, my program wants to create many instances of that class with the variable "x". Over and over it wants to store instances of this class into the arraylist, sometimes where X = 5, and sometimes where X = 10. It wants a unique object each time, ignore that some of them hold the same value.

But how in the world would I write this code? I can't just make an instance of it with the same reference name over and over, because that name gets taken the first time it is stored in an arraylist. But I also can't reasonably write code in a way where I actually write out a new name for it every time I want a new instance if there is going to be like 100 of them.

I am almost sure you can't do it, but just to make sure.. you can't put a variable IN a name for something right? Like, I can't do myclass referencenameX = new myclass();
and have X be an int that is incrementing?

Is there any way to do something to that effect?
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-15 18:59:03
February 15 2015 18:57 GMT
#11718
If you're going to put them in an arraylist the smart way to do it would just be a for loop.

ArrayList myList = new ArrayList<MyObject>();
for (int i = 0; i < 100 ; i++) {
myList[i] = new MyObject();
if (i % 2 == 0)
myList[i].setX();
}


I don't need to name them all something since I'm going to be accessing them from the list structure and never use the name anyway.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
Millitron
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2611 Posts
February 15 2015 18:58 GMT
#11719
On February 16 2015 03:49 travis wrote:
ok thanks. regarding x being a primitive it doesn't matter right? I am still storing reference to the object not to x.

I'm am pretty sure, not 100% maybe like 90%, that you never really store a reference to an int, or any other primitive in Java.

On February 16 2015 03:49 travis wrote:
Alright I have a followup question, I figured what you guys said is the case.

What if, in the example I gave, my program wants to create many instances of that class with the variable "x". Over and over it wants to store instances of this class into the arraylist, sometimes where X = 5, and sometimes where X = 10. It wants a unique object each time, ignore that some of them hold the same value.

But how in the world would I write this code? I can't just make an instance of it with the same reference name over and over, because that name gets taken the first time it is stored in an arraylist. But I also can't reasonably write code in a way where I actually write out a new name for it every time I want a new instance if there is going to be like 100 of them.

I am almost sure you can't do it, but just to make sure.. you can't put a variable IN a name for something right? Like, I can't do myclass referencenameX = new myclass();
and have X be an int that is incrementing?

Is there any way to do something to that effect?

That's what the arraylist is for. Instead of having it be referencenameX for your variable, you array[x].
Who called in the fleet?
goody153
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
44306 Posts
February 15 2015 18:59 GMT
#11720
Any linux guru/user here ?

What are the best linux server OS that i should use if i am going to utilize lamp lamp ?
this is a quote
Prev 1 584 585 586 587 588 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs YoungYakovLIVE!
ByuN vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings161
CranKy Ducklings SOOP21
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 11735
Britney 7292
FanTaSy 2054
Hyuk 880
Horang2 595
BeSt 458
Stork 257
Pusan 254
EffOrt 132
Killer 130
[ Show more ]
Zeus 123
Last 121
Mind 109
sorry 69
Hyun 61
Mini 58
PianO 53
ggaemo 52
Snow 47
ToSsGirL 35
Bale 32
Hm[arnc] 27
JYJ 25
Aegong 17
zelot 13
Sacsri 10
Noble 5
ajuk12(nOOB) 4
Dota 2
XcaliburYe326
Counter-Strike
fl0m1241
byalli792
x6flipin271
Other Games
gofns30933
singsing2796
B2W.Neo404
ArmadaUGS89
Mew2King69
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick717
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream78
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 9
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
49m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 351
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
3h 49m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 49m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 49m
Replay Cast
11h 49m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 49m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
23h 49m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
1d 23h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.