• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:33
CEST 17:33
KST 00:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8117 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 47

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 45 46 47 48 49 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
TheBB
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Switzerland5133 Posts
April 08 2011 21:37 GMT
#921
On April 09 2011 05:33 KaiserJohan wrote:
What about graphical resources, do I have to draw stuff like tiles and textures by hand in paint? O_O Is there any good tools available for all that stuff? I have a hard time drawing stick figures lol >_>

Kinda sounds like you're in over your head if you want to make something like BW. How about an easier project first?
http://aligulac.com || Barcraft Switzerland! || Zerg best race. || Stats-poster extraordinaire.
Frigo
Profile Joined August 2009
Hungary1023 Posts
April 08 2011 23:16 GMT
#922
Yes definitely, he should start with something simple to familiarize himself with related concepts, and build on it.
http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Treasure_Chest
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
April 09 2011 10:18 GMT
#923
I'd recommend going with GLFW instead of SDL if you're going to fiddle with OpenGL. SDL is more powerful and more extensible, but GLFW is super simple to use and makes it easier to focus on learning OpenGL, especially if you've never used any of them before.

Check out Gamedev. The forums are filled with typical questions people in your situation might ask.
valaki
Profile Joined June 2009
Hungary2476 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-10 14:16:41
April 10 2011 14:15 GMT
#924
Hey all, PL/SQL question:

I got function with a weak refcursor parameter, and I want to fetch one row from it, then put it into a varchar2 variable. Is it possible somehow? You can assume it has multiple columns (but you don't know how many) like this:

First Name Last Name Gender
John_____ Smith____ Male__

and the desired result would be : JohnSmithMale or John Smith Male if you can separate the columns somehow, and this would be in the returning variable.
ggaemo fan
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-10 15:36:37
April 10 2011 15:34 GMT
#925
SELECT FirstName + ' ' + LastName As Name INTO returnValue FROM yourTable;

This would be done in a store procedure. Forgot exact syntax.

Edit: Ops, didn't read that its PL, I don't know if its significantly different but surely something so simple can be done.
Rillanon.au
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-11 19:01:00
April 11 2011 17:23 GMT
#926
is it possible to knock out 10 upper level programming courses in 2 semesters? im willing to throw my life away here, just wondering if it's still possible even then.

-- perhaps it isn't so bad now that i look at it..
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-11 19:18:49
April 11 2011 19:18 GMT
#927
It just depends on the kind of coursework you get. Many of the languages overlap in concepts in syntax, but I would think you'd run into pre-req requirements trying to do 10 in 2 sems.
twitch.tv/cratonz
RoyalCheese
Profile Joined May 2010
Czech Republic745 Posts
April 11 2011 19:21 GMT
#928
It surely is possible, but seems like a waste of time. Many languages are very similar. I would recommend you to learn common language like java and then learn maybe something like python or ruby and if you are really into programming, try lisp or haskell (!!!!!!!) or scala. Once you go functional you won't like to go back
Kennigit: "Chill was once able to retire really young, but decided to donate his entire salary TO SUPPORT ESPORTS"
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
April 11 2011 21:55 GMT
#929
On April 12 2011 02:23 holdthephone wrote:
is it possible to knock out 10 upper level programming courses in 2 semesters? im willing to throw my life away here, just wondering if it's still possible even then.

-- perhaps it isn't so bad now that i look at it..

I would seriously advise against it. Upper level courses tend to be very time intensive. For instance, my Systems Architecture class's final was "write a 32 bit pipelined MIPS processor in VHDL". VHDL was not taught in the class. The whole thing took about 60 hours. So with 10 classes you could be talking 600 hours (that's 25 days) for the final projects, in addition to whatever else needs to be done (homework, attending classes, learning VHDL because your professor didn't teach it, etc).
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
dogmeatstew
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada574 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-11 22:28:16
April 11 2011 22:27 GMT
#930
On April 12 2011 06:55 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 02:23 holdthephone wrote:
is it possible to knock out 10 upper level programming courses in 2 semesters? im willing to throw my life away here, just wondering if it's still possible even then.

-- perhaps it isn't so bad now that i look at it..

I would seriously advise against it. Upper level courses tend to be very time intensive. For instance, my Systems Architecture class's final was "write a 32 bit pipelined MIPS processor in VHDL". VHDL was not taught in the class. The whole thing took about 60 hours. So with 10 classes you could be talking 600 hours (that's 25 days) for the final projects, in addition to whatever else needs to be done (homework, attending classes, learning VHDL because your professor didn't teach it, etc).

To be honest this is pretty close to what I had last semester with my software engineering degree, and pretty close to what I'm going to have again starting in the fall. I get off a little easy cause some of my Comp Engg, rather than comp sci, classes didn't have projects that required the same time investment, more of an understanding and difficulty of the problem projects than throw your life at it assignments.

That being said my life was pretty busy, for the last month or so of classes I spend about 18h a day doing homework/going to labs/learning on my own and ended up with an average of 4h of sleep a day for that month. Once I was in the grove you sort of get into the swing of waking up, going to the U, sitting in a computer lab for 10h, going home, working on the same thing on your home desktop, spend a couple hours doing something not school related to keep yourself sane, sleep, repeat. It was brutal but it was possible. The last week of class when all my projects were due I actually spent nights in the CS building just fixing bugs...

its possible but don't if you can avoid it, I couldn't simply because I took what my program dictated I needed to.

Edit: I'll also note my girlfriend really wasn't happy about this whole setup
Skaff
Profile Joined February 2010
United States240 Posts
April 11 2011 22:43 GMT
#931
Like the previous two post mentioned, I would advice against it if you can avoid it. 10 upper level programming courses in itself is pretty vague but I can almost guarantee a few of those courses will be very project heavy. The project heavy courses will sap tons of time and will immediately make a course feel like it's double the amount of hours you are getting credit for.

I'm personally finishing up my CS undergrad in a few weeks and my final semester was relatively calm. I think I ended up writing more than I actually coded.
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-11 23:33:29
April 11 2011 23:31 GMT
#932
i kind of screwed up my plan this year, so i'm unfortunately going to have to take all those if i want to graduate on time. people at my school say the assembler course is the worst among them...

thanks for the advice guys, looks like this is my punishment =[
EvanED
Profile Joined October 2009
United States111 Posts
April 12 2011 01:37 GMT
#933
On April 12 2011 04:21 RoyalCheese wrote:
It surely is possible, but seems like a waste of time. Many languages are very similar. I would recommend you to learn common language like java and then learn maybe something like python or ruby and if you are really into programming, try lisp or haskell (!!!!!!!) or scala. Once you go functional you won't like to go back

I'm guessing it's unlikely that he means "take 10 'how to program in xxx' classes", but "take 10 classes with a heavy programming component." E.g. compilers or operating systems.

Can you say any more about what exactly you have in mind?
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 02:09:44
April 12 2011 02:07 GMT
#934
here goes:

CSCI 360 - Computer Programming in Assembler Language [4 cred.] the monster course
+ Show Spoiler +
In-depth study of assembler language programming on a third-generation computer, including internal and external subroutines, conditional assembly, and the macro language. Students required to write a number of substantial programs. Extensive laboratory work.


CSCI 463 - Computer Systems Organization (Prerequisite: 360) [4 cred.]
+ Show Spoiler +
Organization and use of computer systems. Basic concepts and examples from microcomputers and networks, peripheral components, data communications, and the relationship between hardware components and the operating system. Extensive laboratory work.


CSCI 467 - Introduction to Software Engineering [4 cred.]
+ Show Spoiler +
Phases of the systems development life cycle and the tools used by the analyst in planning, specifying, and implementing a complex computer-based system. Related topics include documentation standards, interaction with users, and design of interfaces. Assignments include at least one major group project.


CSCI 480 - Principles of Operating Systems (Prerequisite: 463)[4 cred.]
+ Show Spoiler +
Principles and practices of modern operating system design. Includes file systems organization; memory management; multitasking; windowing interfaces; interprocess communication, including communications across a network; and client-server models of processing. Extensive laboratory work.


300+ level elective
400+ level elective

+ a 300 level class to complete my language minor

the courses available look very bland, i'll probably take a web development and something else...



wait...this isn't 10 courses. i'm going off my school's catalog which seems to disagree with my advisor . And the 360 and 463 prerequisites bounce off each other which is screwing me over....guess ill read a book and ask to be permitted?

time for another appointment.
Order
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Lithuania231 Posts
April 12 2011 10:05 GMT
#935
Hello there, fellow programmers and other fine chaps.

I wanted to ask you, where do applications save data? I mean if we'll take a small size WinForm application I want to write to get some grasp on C#, where does it save the data? Into an xml file? or does in encode it into something else? I mean, xml might be great, but it's readible if you open the file, so..?

Thanks in advance.
Common Sense - so rare that it's a super power
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
April 12 2011 10:15 GMT
#936
usually you chose your own save locations, however, depending on how embracing the framework is, it might just use some standard location - this would be documented in the frameworks manual, that's where you'd have to read.
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
stafu
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia1196 Posts
April 12 2011 10:39 GMT
#937
Can't believe there's barely any editor talk or polls in here (though maybe that's a good thing :p). What do you guys like to use?

I'm teaching myself vim at the moment after generally using TextMate. Getting frustrated at having to use different editors depending on whether I'm on my laptop, home PC or uni/work PCs, so vim seemed like the best choice. I also use some VS 2010, but I'm really loving my vim setup so I'd like to try do most of my coding in that ;o

Also another thing I've been meaning to ask in here, does anyone have any experience emigrating from Australia (where our CS degrees are 3 years long and structured differently) to the US or Europe and getting work? or know what I'd need to do? i.e. would I likely need to do an honours year? or would it not be too difficult as long as I'm good at what I do?
MisterD
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Germany1338 Posts
April 12 2011 10:43 GMT
#938
On April 12 2011 19:39 stafu wrote:
Can't believe there's barely any editor talk or polls in here (though maybe that's a good thing :p). What do you guys like to use?

I'm teaching myself vim at the moment after generally using TextMate. Getting frustrated at having to use different editors depending on whether I'm on my laptop, home PC or uni/work PCs, so vim seemed like the best choice. I also use some VS 2010, but I'm really loving my vim setup so I'd like to try do most of my coding in that ;o

Also another thing I've been meaning to ask in here, does anyone have any experience emigrating from Australia (where our CS degrees are 3 years long and structured differently) to the US or Europe and getting work? or know what I'd need to do? i.e. would I likely need to do an honours year? or would it not be too difficult as long as I'm good at what I do?

eclipse + notepad++ :p

for Europe, you'll have to apply to different universities and they'll give you individual honors courses, depending on what they deem necessary for you to meet their educational standards.
Gold isn't everything in life... you need wood, too!
chaokel
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia535 Posts
April 12 2011 11:06 GMT
#939
Hi wondering if anyone can help me with an error i'm getting in my c code for an uni assignment.

Error: Unresolved external 'input()' referenced from L:\ICT102\ASSIGNMENTQUESTIO
N2A.OBJ
Error: Unresolved external 'calculate()' referenced from L:\ICT102\ASSIGNMENTQUE
STION2A.OBJ

I believe its got something to do with using call to references to return data from these modules but i cant figure out what its telling me is wrong.
Kambing
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1176 Posts
April 12 2011 11:26 GMT
#940
On April 12 2011 20:06 chaokel wrote:
Hi wondering if anyone can help me with an error i'm getting in my c code for an uni assignment.

Error: Unresolved external 'input()' referenced from L:\ICT102\ASSIGNMENTQUESTIO
N2A.OBJ
Error: Unresolved external 'calculate()' referenced from L:\ICT102\ASSIGNMENTQUE
STION2A.OBJ

I believe its got something to do with using call to references to return data from these modules but i cant figure out what its telling me is wrong.


I assume input() and calculate() are functions that you wrote? If so, it sounds like that you reference them in assignmentquestion2a.c via forward declarations (e.g., from a .h file) but then don't include the .c files that provide their implementation. That fix in that case is to compile the .c files that contain the definitions of input() and calculate() at the same time you compile assignmentquestion2a.c.

Alternatively, if input() and calculate() are being provided to you as a library, you haven't included those libraries in your compilation step.
Prev 1 45 46 47 48 49 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1352
WardiTV1037
OGKoka 243
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 243
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5012
Bisu 2014
Shuttle 976
Larva 830
Stork 487
EffOrt 477
BeSt 465
Horang2 339
actioN 290
Mini 251
[ Show more ]
Rush 237
Light 144
Mind 119
hero 99
910 90
Zeus 86
Snow 68
Mong 63
sorry 57
Shinee 51
Barracks 48
JYJ 37
Bale 29
ToSsGirL 27
Killer 26
Sexy 26
Aegong 20
yabsab 18
HiyA 17
scan(afreeca) 14
Terrorterran 14
zelot 14
Free 10
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5729
qojqva2670
Dendi1098
febbydoto40
Counter-Strike
fl0m3501
Fnx 691
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko476
Other Games
singsing2480
hiko942
B2W.Neo733
TKL 715
Livibee344
ceh9296
XBOCT274
Hui .232
Liquid`VortiX232
XaKoH 151
Chillindude11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile123
• LUISG 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 35
• iopq 7
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3102
• Jankos2111
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
27m
Replay Cast
7h 27m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 27m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
19h 27m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.