• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:54
CEST 04:54
KST 11:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202611Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8434 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 100

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 98 99 100 101 102 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
December 22 2011 00:38 GMT
#1981
I'm trying to install the Windows SDK, but the installer keeps failing. The web installer and ISO installer errors out with
A problem occurred while installing selected Windows SDK components.

Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information.

Please attempt to resolve the problem and then start Windows SDK setup again. If you continue to have problems with this issue, please visit the SDK team support page at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=130245.

Click the View Log button to review the installation log.
To exit, click Finish."


The end of the error log reads:
+ Show Spoiler +

7:33:47 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: SFX C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\SFX\vcredist_x64.exe installation started with log file C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7_0f09d0ba-9ef4-40fa-a294-a60754e10b4c_SFX.log

7:33:55 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\SFX\vcredist_x64.exe installed successfully.

7:33:55 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: SFX C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\SFX\vcredist_x86.exe installation started with log file C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7_728e3a58-b902-49c8-92a6-5836d4c21324_SFX.log

7:33:58 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\SFX\vcredist_x86.exe installation failed with return code 5100

7:34:06 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: [SDKSetup:Error] Config_Products_Install: Installation of Product Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 (failed): Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. Stack: at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureRelatedSfx() at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct(ManualResetEvent CancelEvent)

7:34:06 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: [SDKSetup:Info] Config_Products_InstallNew: End installation of new product: Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7

7:34:06 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: [SDKSetup:Error] Config_Products_Install: Windows SDK Setup (failed): Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. Stack: at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct(ManualResetEvent CancelEvent) at SDKSetup.Product.SetupProduct(TaskMode taskMode, ManualResetEvent CancelEvent) at SDKSetup.ProductCollection.SetupProducts(TaskMode taskMode, DownloadManager downloadManager, ManualResetEvent cancelEvent) at SDKSetup.ConfigProducts.DoCurrentTask(TaskMode Task)


The only solutions I found online were to try again after deleting the temp folder and to use the ISO installer both of which I tried. Any ideas?
twitch.tv/cratonz
Deleted_143
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia256 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-22 00:58:21
December 22 2011 00:50 GMT
#1982
--- Nuked ---
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-22 01:03:35
December 22 2011 00:58 GMT
#1983
On December 22 2011 01:04 green.at wrote:
Hey guy's quick question: In a 2D game with maps that are 2Darrays how would i implement multiple levels of altitude on one map. I think adding a z-axis is too wasteful, and placing smaller arrays "on top" of my ground level array seems suboptimal. any suggestions?


Make your tile have an altitude attribute?

-1 = underground
0 = ground
1 = highground
2 = sky

This is also useful if you want to check if a tank can get across that tile or not. Could use also bit shifting for better performance if that concerns you too much.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Millitron
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2611 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-22 01:03:56
December 22 2011 01:03 GMT
#1984
On December 22 2011 09:58 fabiano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 22 2011 01:04 green.at wrote:
Hey guy's quick question: In a 2D game with maps that are 2Darrays how would i implement multiple levels of altitude on one map. I think adding a z-axis is too wasteful, and placing smaller arrays "on top" of my ground level array seems suboptimal. any suggestions?


Make your tile have a altitude attribute?

-1 = underground
0 = ground
1 = highground
2 = sky

Which is basically just adding a z-axis. I don't see any way around it.

On December 22 2011 09:11 weareallclowns wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 18 2011 14:30 Millitron wrote:
OpenGL is really good, once you get all the libraries and DLL's installed. It was kind of a pain to do on Windows 7 64 bit; it kept saying it couldn't find files that I was absolutely sure were in the right place, but once it's installed, its great.

I used Visual Studio 2007, but I wouldn't recommend it, as the IDE's built-in debugger causes more problems than it solves. For instance, it absolutely will not run anything involving image maps if you try to run it within the environment. You have to compile it and run it as a stand-alone, which can be annoying if you have to test-run it a lot.

I would suggest using Eclipse for your IDE, as its been great whenever I've used it, though to be honest, I never used it for graphical work.


Late reply, but I felt a thanks was on it's place. I will try Eclipse out.

You're very welcome. Happy I could help.
Who called in the fleet?
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-22 01:07:30
December 22 2011 01:06 GMT
#1985
What about different tile classes? WaterTile, GroundTile, SkyTile, etc... all of them implementing a common interface, for example.

No idea whats better or whats worse, just throwing some ideas.

Edit: sorry, so many edits...
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
green.at
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Austria1459 Posts
December 22 2011 01:14 GMT
#1986
yeah i was leaning towards the altitude attribute, still better than adding a z-axis. I guess I'll have to go with that.
Inputting special characters into chat should no longer cause the game to crash.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-22 01:19:07
December 22 2011 01:19 GMT
#1987
On December 22 2011 09:50 Klesky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 22 2011 09:38 Craton wrote:
I'm trying to install the Windows SDK, but the installer keeps failing. The web installer and ISO installer errors out with
A problem occurred while installing selected Windows SDK components.

Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information.

Please attempt to resolve the problem and then start Windows SDK setup again. If you continue to have problems with this issue, please visit the SDK team support page at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=130245.

Click the View Log button to review the installation log.
To exit, click Finish."


The end of the error log reads:
+ Show Spoiler +

7:33:47 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: SFX C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\SFX\vcredist_x64.exe installation started with log file C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7_0f09d0ba-9ef4-40fa-a294-a60754e10b4c_SFX.log

7:33:55 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\SFX\vcredist_x64.exe installed successfully.

7:33:55 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: SFX C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\SFX\vcredist_x86.exe installation started with log file C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7_728e3a58-b902-49c8-92a6-5836d4c21324_SFX.log

7:33:58 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Setup\SFX\vcredist_x86.exe installation failed with return code 5100

7:34:06 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: [SDKSetup:Error] Config_Products_Install: Installation of Product Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 (failed): Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. Stack: at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureRelatedSfx() at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct(ManualResetEvent CancelEvent)

7:34:06 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: [SDKSetup:Info] Config_Products_InstallNew: End installation of new product: Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7

7:34:06 PM Wednesday, December 21, 2011: [SDKSetup:Error] Config_Products_Install: Windows SDK Setup (failed): Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. Stack: at SDKSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct(ManualResetEvent CancelEvent) at SDKSetup.Product.SetupProduct(TaskMode taskMode, ManualResetEvent CancelEvent) at SDKSetup.ProductCollection.SetupProducts(TaskMode taskMode, DownloadManager downloadManager, ManualResetEvent cancelEvent) at SDKSetup.ConfigProducts.DoCurrentTask(TaskMode Task)


The only solutions I found online were to try again after deleting the temp folder and to use the ISO installer both of which I tried. Any ideas?


What versions of the visual C/C++ runtimes do you have installed?

C++ is 10.0.30319 for x86 and x64, but nothing for C that I see.
twitch.tv/cratonz
MrBludgeon
Profile Joined April 2011
United States30 Posts
December 22 2011 01:37 GMT
#1988
So, I am about to finish up my B.A. in Mathematics here next semester and I plan on continuing on to graduate school (the application process was a gigantic pain in the ass). Anyway, I realized that I need to do some coding every so often and that there are probably languages better suited to my needs than java.

I don't do any finite combinatorics and very rarely do I do any computationally heavy work. However, I have found the need to graph increasingly accurate approximations of certain functions. If anyone is familiar with continuous and nowhere differentiable functions, those are the sorts of things I would want to graph. For example, I recently wrote a paper in my Analysis course and I wanted to graph an approximation the following:

[image loading]

Unfortunately, I do not know of a way to implement this. If someone knows of a language that is well suited to handle this sort of thing, feel free to let me know. My exposure to languages is rather minimal, so I really do not know how far one can go with programming. Also, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place to post this.
Deleted_143
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia256 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-22 01:46:15
December 22 2011 01:45 GMT
#1989
--- Nuked ---
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
December 22 2011 02:01 GMT
#1990
On December 22 2011 10:37 MrBludgeon wrote:
So, I am about to finish up my B.A. in Mathematics here next semester and I plan on continuing on to graduate school (the application process was a gigantic pain in the ass). Anyway, I realized that I need to do some coding every so often and that there are probably languages better suited to my needs than java.

I don't do any finite combinatorics and very rarely do I do any computationally heavy work. However, I have found the need to graph increasingly accurate approximations of certain functions. If anyone is familiar with continuous and nowhere differentiable functions, those are the sorts of things I would want to graph. For example, I recently wrote a paper in my Analysis course and I wanted to graph an approximation the following:

[image loading]

Unfortunately, I do not know of a way to implement this. If someone knows of a language that is well suited to handle this sort of thing, feel free to let me know. My exposure to languages is rather minimal, so I really do not know how far one can go with programming. Also, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place to post this.


MathLab: http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/index.html

I dont know how to code with it, so I can't help any further, but I'm pretty sure that is what you need.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
December 22 2011 02:06 GMT
#1991
I uninstalled all things c++ 2010 and it made the install work.

Thanks
twitch.tv/cratonz
billy5000
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States865 Posts
December 22 2011 04:11 GMT
#1992
stupid question (I'm awfully new at this ><): http://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/11hello/UseArgument.java.html This doesn't seem to work for some reason. I'm guessing that System.out.print(args[0]); is a way to input, but an error comes up saying java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand. Vonnegut
AndyG
Profile Joined July 2010
United States22 Posts
December 22 2011 04:16 GMT
#1993
On December 22 2011 13:11 billy5000 wrote:
stupid question (I'm awfully new at this ><): http://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/11hello/UseArgument.java.html This doesn't seem to work for some reason. I'm guessing that System.out.print(args[0]); is a way to input, but an error comes up saying java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0.


That is happening because you aren't running the program with any input like they show in the example. If you've followed that tutorial up to where you're at, executing using

"% java UseArgument Bob"

should work just fine. Basically, the args[] array is an array of Strings that is populated using your input after the execution command. That program tries to use the first String in that array, but since you've entered none, the print call is looking at a part of the array with nothing in it. In other words, as your error states, the array index is out of bounds.
billy5000
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States865 Posts
December 22 2011 05:04 GMT
#1994
Where do I exactly type in % java UseArgument Bob?
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand. Vonnegut
One Student
Profile Joined April 2011
73 Posts
December 22 2011 05:49 GMT
#1995
On December 22 2011 10:06 fabiano wrote:
What about different tile classes? WaterTile, GroundTile, SkyTile, etc... all of them implementing a common interface, for example.

No idea whats better or whats worse, just throwing some ideas.

Edit: sorry, so many edits...


I remember reading a topic on game development and thought I should share what I learned.

You should do that if the differences between each tile are so big that it warrants separate classes for each. The problem with doing things like this is that in large scale games with many different objects, tiles, enemies, etc. you'll end up having loads of classes with no real functionality for each. Whereas aggregation could have solved your problem easily.

Depression is what you get for leading a repetitive life.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
December 22 2011 07:17 GMT
#1996
I've been trying to make a simple c# program that can read the currently playing song from windows media player (not an embedded object), but damn if that isn't a lot harder than I expected.

It'd probably be quicker to just learn c++ -_-
twitch.tv/cratonz
simmion
Profile Joined June 2011
United States34 Posts
December 22 2011 16:22 GMT
#1997
On December 22 2011 14:04 billy5000 wrote:
Where do I exactly type in % java UseArgument Bob?



From your command prompt. in the same folder as UseArgument.class

C:\files\UseArgument.java

eg.
C:\files\: javac UseArgument.java
C:\files\: java UseArgument argument
"Ricky Bobby" -stephano
green.at
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Austria1459 Posts
December 22 2011 22:16 GMT
#1998
for the record, quadtrees are female dogs '-.-
Inputting special characters into chat should no longer cause the game to crash.
HowitZer
Profile Joined February 2003
United States1610 Posts
December 22 2011 23:50 GMT
#1999
On December 22 2011 16:17 Craton wrote:
I've been trying to make a simple c# program that can read the currently playing song from windows media player (not an embedded object), but damn if that isn't a lot harder than I expected.

It'd probably be quicker to just learn c++ -_-




C# and .NET should make that easier to do than trying to use C++ especially if you are a C++ newb.
Human teleportation, molecular decimation, breakdown and reformation is inherently purging. It makes a man acute.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19260 Posts
December 22 2011 23:53 GMT
#2000
To do that in C++ will require you to know some basic things like hooking processes and using various API calls. I'm pretty sure it's easier in C#.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
Prev 1 98 99 100 101 102 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta33
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 162
ProTech132
FoxeR 9
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2260
Shuttle 1575
Artosis 598
Dewaltoss 56
NaDa 29
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm197
LuMiX0
Counter-Strike
taco 576
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox704
Other Games
summit1g8035
WinterStarcraft362
C9.Mang0286
ViBE117
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 24
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Stunt100
Other Games
• Shiphtur271
Upcoming Events
OSC
20h 6m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 7h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 14h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 16h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.