• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:22
CEST 06:22
KST 13:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202611Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8762 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 101

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 99 100 101 102 103 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Adeny
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Norway1233 Posts
December 23 2011 00:44 GMT
#2001
On December 23 2011 08:53 tofucake wrote:
To do that in C++ will require you to know some basic things like hooking processes and using various API calls. I'm pretty sure it's easier in C#.


Wouldn't it require the same things in C#, but also p/invoke stuff?
tec27
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States3715 Posts
December 23 2011 04:51 GMT
#2002
On December 23 2011 09:44 Adeny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 23 2011 08:53 tofucake wrote:
To do that in C++ will require you to know some basic things like hooking processes and using various API calls. I'm pretty sure it's easier in C#.


Wouldn't it require the same things in C#, but also p/invoke stuff?

Yeah, if either required it then both would require it (unless someone like wrote some stuff to encapsulate it in one but not the other). But anyway, if your goal is to read the currently playing item out of Windows Media Player, you'll want to look either for some sort of API to do so, or give up on that goal for now. Its not going to be a simple task in any language if they don't provide an easily accessible way to do it (especially so since their windows are custom and they don't update their window title)
Can you jam with the console cowboys in cyberspace?
Kluey
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada1197 Posts
December 23 2011 05:08 GMT
#2003
Okay, I need to make Hangman in Visual Basic. What should I do to display the character the user guesses while making underlines for how many letters there are.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
December 23 2011 05:48 GMT
#2004
On December 23 2011 13:51 tec27 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 23 2011 09:44 Adeny wrote:
On December 23 2011 08:53 tofucake wrote:
To do that in C++ will require you to know some basic things like hooking processes and using various API calls. I'm pretty sure it's easier in C#.


Wouldn't it require the same things in C#, but also p/invoke stuff?

Yeah, if either required it then both would require it (unless someone like wrote some stuff to encapsulate it in one but not the other). But anyway, if your goal is to read the currently playing item out of Windows Media Player, you'll want to look either for some sort of API to do so, or give up on that goal for now. Its not going to be a simple task in any language if they don't provide an easily accessible way to do it (especially so since their windows are custom and they don't update their window title)

Windows XP had this http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8868 which made live simpler. There was one thing that altered the window name to the now playing song back in WMP 9.0 and there was another thing that would write the now playing song to a spot in the registry, both of which would make such a task pretty simple.

I've been tinkering with http://www.theleagueofpaul.com/codesnippet-managed-windows-media-plugins.html but not much luck so far.
twitch.tv/cratonz
ArcticVanguard
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States450 Posts
December 27 2011 14:19 GMT
#2005
Does anyone have any suggestions for a tutorial for learning GUI programming for Windows? Language is C++. I'm looking at Qt but I'm having trouble following some of them out there. The thing I've seen is that GUI programming on any platform is a nightmare, but surely there are SOME out there that I can use.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-27 14:27:00
December 27 2011 14:26 GMT
#2006
On December 27 2011 23:19 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a tutorial for learning GUI programming for Windows? Language is C++. I'm looking at Qt but I'm having trouble following some of them out there. The thing I've seen is that GUI programming on any platform is a nightmare, but surely there are SOME out there that I can use.


For c++ it's generally a nightmare. I played around with win32 GUI and oh my god its torture and 10+ years old, dont touch it. That's why we use C# for GUI and I recommend you do the same. For other platforms you usually have other languages to di t in, Java for Android, Obj-C for iOS, etc..

I've looked at Qt only a little, and I've had work partners use it some, and trust me its pain but still better than win32 stuff.

Seriously just use C# to create GUI, you just need a thin layer of C# to make it work, you can write pretty much everything else in C++
England will fight to the last American
ArcticVanguard
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States450 Posts
December 27 2011 14:29 GMT
#2007
On December 27 2011 23:26 KaiserJohan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2011 23:19 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a tutorial for learning GUI programming for Windows? Language is C++. I'm looking at Qt but I'm having trouble following some of them out there. The thing I've seen is that GUI programming on any platform is a nightmare, but surely there are SOME out there that I can use.


For c++ it's generally a nightmare. I played around with win32 GUI and oh my god its torture and 10+ years old, dont touch it. That's why we use C# for GUI and I recommend you do the same. For other platforms you usually have other languages to di t in, Java for Android, Obj-C for iOS, etc..

I've looked at Qt only a little, and I've had work partners use it some, and trust me its pain but still better than win32 stuff.

Seriously just use C# to create GUI, you just need a thin layer of C# to make it work, you can write pretty much everything else in C++

I'm pretty inexperienced with this kind of thing though, is it pretty easy to write everything in C++ and have it work with the C# GUI? Any references or anything you might suggest? I'm not opposed to use C#, I've just never touched it before and I know almost nothing about it.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
memcpy
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States459 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-27 14:39:03
December 27 2011 14:38 GMT
#2008
On December 27 2011 23:19 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a tutorial for learning GUI programming for Windows? Language is C++. I'm looking at Qt but I'm having trouble following some of them out there. The thing I've seen is that GUI programming on any platform is a nightmare, but surely there are SOME out there that I can use.


I'm currently working on a C++ GUI and I decided to go with wxWidgets. You design the interface with wxFormBuilder and it generates a few .cpp/h files for virtual functions to overload for events. Once you get it all linked up with your project it's pretty easy from there.

As for the people who suggested C#, I'd strongly agree that you use that instead if you can. WPF or Windows Forms are way easier than anything in C++.
kaihangkk
Profile Joined December 2011
8 Posts
December 27 2011 14:48 GMT
#2009
i know nth about programming....which language would be the best one to start with?
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19260 Posts
December 27 2011 15:02 GMT
#2010
On December 27 2011 23:48 kaihangkk wrote:
i know nth about programming....which language would be the best one to start with?

Replace "programming" with "speaking" and you might see why this question is incredibly hard to answer.

What do you want to do with programming?
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
December 27 2011 15:11 GMT
#2011
On December 27 2011 23:29 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2011 23:26 KaiserJohan wrote:
On December 27 2011 23:19 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a tutorial for learning GUI programming for Windows? Language is C++. I'm looking at Qt but I'm having trouble following some of them out there. The thing I've seen is that GUI programming on any platform is a nightmare, but surely there are SOME out there that I can use.


For c++ it's generally a nightmare. I played around with win32 GUI and oh my god its torture and 10+ years old, dont touch it. That's why we use C# for GUI and I recommend you do the same. For other platforms you usually have other languages to di t in, Java for Android, Obj-C for iOS, etc..

I've looked at Qt only a little, and I've had work partners use it some, and trust me its pain but still better than win32 stuff.

Seriously just use C# to create GUI, you just need a thin layer of C# to make it work, you can write pretty much everything else in C++

I'm pretty inexperienced with this kind of thing though, is it pretty easy to write everything in C++ and have it work with the C# GUI? Any references or anything you might suggest? I'm not opposed to use C#, I've just never touched it before and I know almost nothing about it.


I think its fairly easy. C# itself is very easy in fact, it's a high-level language like Java.
You need a "C# wrapper" for C++. Google around for "C# to c++", vice versa, and alike, you'll find it, there's plenty of guides on it.

On C#: Are you using Visual Studio for C++? I assume so; just try a C# "WPF" or Windows Presentation Format or whatever project its called, its basically drag-and-drop GUI. If not, you REALLY should use Visual Studio unless you aim to develop on other platforms, in which Eclipse might be good.



England will fight to the last American
KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
December 27 2011 15:13 GMT
#2012
On December 27 2011 23:48 kaihangkk wrote:
i know nth about programming....which language would be the best one to start with?


If you want to get a feel for what programming is, try a high-level language like C# or Java. Start with C# if ur on windows, theres several tutorials on getting started.
England will fight to the last American
mrafaeldie12
Profile Joined July 2011
Brazil537 Posts
December 27 2011 15:19 GMT
#2013
Hey guys i'm not sure this is the right place to post,but does anyone know if Ruby can be used for desktop apps?Thanks.
"..it all comes thumbling down thumbling down thumblin down"
ArcticVanguard
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States450 Posts
December 27 2011 15:34 GMT
#2014
On December 28 2011 00:11 KaiserJohan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2011 23:29 ArcticVanguard wrote:
On December 27 2011 23:26 KaiserJohan wrote:
On December 27 2011 23:19 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a tutorial for learning GUI programming for Windows? Language is C++. I'm looking at Qt but I'm having trouble following some of them out there. The thing I've seen is that GUI programming on any platform is a nightmare, but surely there are SOME out there that I can use.


For c++ it's generally a nightmare. I played around with win32 GUI and oh my god its torture and 10+ years old, dont touch it. That's why we use C# for GUI and I recommend you do the same. For other platforms you usually have other languages to di t in, Java for Android, Obj-C for iOS, etc..

I've looked at Qt only a little, and I've had work partners use it some, and trust me its pain but still better than win32 stuff.

Seriously just use C# to create GUI, you just need a thin layer of C# to make it work, you can write pretty much everything else in C++

I'm pretty inexperienced with this kind of thing though, is it pretty easy to write everything in C++ and have it work with the C# GUI? Any references or anything you might suggest? I'm not opposed to use C#, I've just never touched it before and I know almost nothing about it.


I think its fairly easy. C# itself is very easy in fact, it's a high-level language like Java.
You need a "C# wrapper" for C++. Google around for "C# to c++", vice versa, and alike, you'll find it, there's plenty of guides on it.

On C#: Are you using Visual Studio for C++? I assume so; just try a C# "WPF" or Windows Presentation Format or whatever project its called, its basically drag-and-drop GUI. If not, you REALLY should use Visual Studio unless you aim to develop on other platforms, in which Eclipse might be good.


I aim for cross-platform compatibility as much as possible. Right now I'm using Code::Blocks for C++ and Eclipse for my Java work. Thanks for the help!
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
Zeke50100
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2220 Posts
December 27 2011 15:58 GMT
#2015
On December 28 2011 00:34 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2011 00:11 KaiserJohan wrote:
On December 27 2011 23:29 ArcticVanguard wrote:
On December 27 2011 23:26 KaiserJohan wrote:
On December 27 2011 23:19 ArcticVanguard wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a tutorial for learning GUI programming for Windows? Language is C++. I'm looking at Qt but I'm having trouble following some of them out there. The thing I've seen is that GUI programming on any platform is a nightmare, but surely there are SOME out there that I can use.


For c++ it's generally a nightmare. I played around with win32 GUI and oh my god its torture and 10+ years old, dont touch it. That's why we use C# for GUI and I recommend you do the same. For other platforms you usually have other languages to di t in, Java for Android, Obj-C for iOS, etc..

I've looked at Qt only a little, and I've had work partners use it some, and trust me its pain but still better than win32 stuff.

Seriously just use C# to create GUI, you just need a thin layer of C# to make it work, you can write pretty much everything else in C++

I'm pretty inexperienced with this kind of thing though, is it pretty easy to write everything in C++ and have it work with the C# GUI? Any references or anything you might suggest? I'm not opposed to use C#, I've just never touched it before and I know almost nothing about it.


I think its fairly easy. C# itself is very easy in fact, it's a high-level language like Java.
You need a "C# wrapper" for C++. Google around for "C# to c++", vice versa, and alike, you'll find it, there's plenty of guides on it.

On C#: Are you using Visual Studio for C++? I assume so; just try a C# "WPF" or Windows Presentation Format or whatever project its called, its basically drag-and-drop GUI. If not, you REALLY should use Visual Studio unless you aim to develop on other platforms, in which Eclipse might be good.


I aim for cross-platform compatibility as much as possible. Right now I'm using Code::Blocks for C++ and Eclipse for my Java work. Thanks for the help!


If you're aiming for cross-compatibility, you could also go for Qt Creator. Not only does it have the benefit of having Qt Widgets and the like should you choose to use the SDK, but it can integrate the Visual Studio debugger, which is by far the most useful debugger out there at the moment. Code::Blocks is good, but Qt with VC++ is just more powerful in the end. I like to think of Qt as Code::Blocks/Dev-Cpp v2.0 :D Note that you might have to use QMake depending on what you're doing (i.e., extensive customization outside of Qt-related things), which can get ugly, although you shouldn't have to worry too much.

As for the GUI programming issue, it's certainly easier to stick with Java or C# (at least for Windows). However, if you're already more experienced with C++, then you might just have to brute-force your way to learning how to mess with Qt, unless you want to use Java or learn C#.

http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.8/tutorials.html


Those are the best resources I can find at the moment, barring forums and whatnot. The Youtube videos aren't the best in quality (i.e., the recording screen is small), but they get the job done. It's actually really helped me, and there are even corrections posted by the author in the comments.
Soleone
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada80 Posts
December 27 2011 20:30 GMT
#2016
@mrafaeldie12

yes, you can use Ruby for desktop apps. It will mostly probably not have the most polished GUI, but the advantage is that you will be at least double as fast in development time than if you would be using C++ or something else lower level.

Here are two of the options I would consider:

- FXRuby: http://www.fxruby.org/doc/book.html
- Shoes: https://github.com/shoes/shoes

If you have more Ruby related questions don't hesitate to send me a PM
Soleone
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada80 Posts
December 27 2011 20:33 GMT
#2017
@kaihangkk

I would start with a high level language like Ruby or Python where you can concentrate on learning concepts rather than language specific syntax weirdness. Take a look at this little free book: http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
SiKStArCuE
Profile Joined April 2011
United States19 Posts
December 28 2011 21:22 GMT
#2018
Can someone please give me some good book references for topics on assembly language and computer networks?
enigmaticcam
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States280 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-29 18:28:38
December 29 2011 18:16 GMT
#2019
Anyone here familiar with the Knapsack problem? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knapsack_problem

I'm playing this PvP game that's very similar. You have a battleship with x number of weapon slots, limited capacity, and a large assortment of different types of weapons to fill those slots with, all with varying stats (including weight). I'm trying to write a program that will take your captain's stats, the number of weapon slots you have available, the max capacity your ship can hold, and all the possible weapons you can equip, and find the combination of weapons with the highest damage output. You can't just equip the highest damage possible for your level, because you will use up all your weight capacity before you use up all your weapon slots.

Of the solutions to the knapsack problem, the 0-1 solution is the closest to what I need. The problem is I have an additional constraint of limited number of weapons I can use (as many as weapon slots I have), plus I'm having a hard time interpreting the formula and understanding exactly what it's doing. Anyone have any experience with this kind of dynamic programming who might be able to help me out? I just need a better explanation of the formula so I can know how to implement it in my code. Thanks!

Edit: I think I understand the logic of the formula, but I can't quite get when it actually returns a value. Based strictly on what is written there, it seems to me like it will never actually produce a value until it gets down to the first item, in which case it would just produce 0. At some point you've gotta say, "ok, we don't need to go any further, just return this item's damage value", but I don't see when that would happen.
Shruikan998
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada11 Posts
December 29 2011 19:31 GMT
#2020
If I am looking to get into web design, and aim primarily to be self taught... What is the best language for me to learn to do this with?
Ive never seen plants grow out of a TOILET
Prev 1 99 100 101 102 103 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 174
ProTech152
Nina 73
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2992
Shuttle 1478
Dewaltoss 85
Sharp 43
Mong 29
Noble 11
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm226
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox669
Other Games
summit1g6660
WinterStarcraft454
C9.Mang0282
ViBE125
Sick115
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 32
• StrangeGG 18
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota245
League of Legends
• Lourlo866
• Stunt297
Other Games
• Shiphtur392
Upcoming Events
OSC
18h 38m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 5h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.