• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:48
CEST 04:48
KST 11:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6808 users

Don't become a scientist - Page 7

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 13 Next All
Fraidnot
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States824 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-16 16:24:39
May 16 2010 16:24 GMT
#121
On May 16 2010 21:46 nath wrote:
"In contrast, a doctor typically enters private practice at 29, a lawyer at 25 and makes partner at 31, and a computer scientist with a Ph.D. has a very good job at 27 (computer science and engineering are the few fields in which industrial demand makes it sensible to get a Ph.D.)."


FUCK YES!

going to grad school for Comp Sci next year, article scared me because my dad is also a physics professor and always told me this, but i guess it doesnt apply to comp sci! :D


That's because Computer Science isn't real science, 1s and 0s? please don't be ridiculous, everybody knows we only play video games and then just half-ass a few hours work and sell a program for way more then it's worth.
pikaaarrr :3
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States593 Posts
May 16 2010 16:33 GMT
#122
I was totally expecting this to be a link to the "fuckin' magnets" video, lol
rackdude
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States882 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-16 16:46:15
May 16 2010 16:45 GMT
#123
On May 17 2010 01:24 Fraidnot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 16 2010 21:46 nath wrote:
"In contrast, a doctor typically enters private practice at 29, a lawyer at 25 and makes partner at 31, and a computer scientist with a Ph.D. has a very good job at 27 (computer science and engineering are the few fields in which industrial demand makes it sensible to get a Ph.D.)."


FUCK YES!

going to grad school for Comp Sci next year, article scared me because my dad is also a physics professor and always told me this, but i guess it doesnt apply to comp sci! :D


That's because Computer Science isn't real science, 1s and 0s? please don't be ridiculous, everybody knows we only play video games and then just half-ass a few hours work and sell a program for way more then it's worth.


Everybody knows programming is not computer science and that those are two distinct subjects. Calling programming computer science is like calling lens making for telescopes astronomy. Related, useful, but not the same.
Sweet.
obesechicken13
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10467 Posts
May 16 2010 16:47 GMT
#124
I wouldn't go into a field with twice as many applicants as jobs. Pick your second choice.

And I have an issue with something he said, about scientists becoming computer engineers. So wait? How do you compete with people who've done 4 years of computer software engineering as a major? Unless you go through four more years (12 years now) of computer engineering. Get out while you still can.
I think in our modern age technology has evolved to become more addictive. The things that don't give us pleasure aren't used as much. Work was never meant to be fun, but doing it makes us happier in the long run.
Simplistik
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
2173 Posts
May 16 2010 17:00 GMT
#125
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.
Dear BW Gods, it IS now autumn, so...
BluzMan
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Russian Federation4235 Posts
May 16 2010 17:26 GMT
#126
On May 17 2010 01:45 rackdude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 01:24 Fraidnot wrote:
On May 16 2010 21:46 nath wrote:
"In contrast, a doctor typically enters private practice at 29, a lawyer at 25 and makes partner at 31, and a computer scientist with a Ph.D. has a very good job at 27 (computer science and engineering are the few fields in which industrial demand makes it sensible to get a Ph.D.)."


FUCK YES!

going to grad school for Comp Sci next year, article scared me because my dad is also a physics professor and always told me this, but i guess it doesnt apply to comp sci! :D


That's because Computer Science isn't real science, 1s and 0s? please don't be ridiculous, everybody knows we only play video games and then just half-ass a few hours work and sell a program for way more then it's worth.


Everybody knows programming is not computer science and that those are two distinct subjects. Calling programming computer science is like calling lens making for telescopes astronomy. Related, useful, but not the same.


FFS programming is a science.
You want 20 good men, but you need a bad pussy.
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
May 16 2010 17:31 GMT
#127
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.
:]
Servolisk
Profile Blog Joined February 2003
United States5241 Posts
May 16 2010 17:36 GMT
#128
On May 16 2010 14:58 L wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 16 2010 11:59 Servolisk wrote:
Seems like a load of standard events being over dramatized. I don't think he has any significant passion for his work and is a typical whiner. He even made a tenured faculty position sound undesirable :p He basically sounds like he is not getting any grants funded.

Compared to most things, I find the academic track he described to be very meritocratic, in the long run. Ph.D. students and post-doc's are usually underpaid, but if successful have the opportunity to independently run their own research, and become a tenured professor-one of the best jobs possible. No successful post-doc really views it as a bad job, that I have seen

Speaking from a Bio perspective, I feel like the track is very competitive but full of opportunity to people who are dedicated.


Uh, If you bothered reading, he says he's completely happy with his current state, but that undergrads nowadays are getting the shaft because they need to spend years and years as post-docs. I've worked in labs with absolutely BRILLIANT post docs who sacrifice everything for their research. When you learn that they're 37 and have been pounding out nature and lancet papers, but still can't find a tenure track position, it drives home just how much of a glut the market currently has.


People have had to spend years in post-doc for a while, maybe not in Physics idk. I wouldn't call it getting the shaft either. Successful, senior post-docs make professor equivalent salaries. Not that that is the major concern. Many people find it enjoyable too.

It is probably hard to talk between fields. It sounds like yours is a slightly different sub-area than mine since you mentioned the Lancet, you must be in a clinical oriented lab. AFAIK it is easier to publish higher in the clinical side in general, so maybe that is the reason. Or maybe you are talking about them publishing as second authors or later. Because as someone else said if you are publishing Nature as a post-doc, especially repeatedly, you have nothing to worry about. No one is going to say that it isn't competitive but my experience tells me that the people who do not succeed in this track did not work as well as those who did.

That is why I think the author from the OP has really no passion and urges people to "leave graduate school to people from India and China, for whom the prospects at home are even worse." Moronic -___- Maybe he is exaggerating to get attention to the problem (at the time), but his generality + negative bias is not going to get him to be taken seriously.
wtf was that signature
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
May 16 2010 17:36 GMT
#129
On May 17 2010 02:31 illu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.

It's not impossible for a physicist to get hired privately obviously but my experience has been that it's difficult to pursue.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Servolisk
Profile Blog Joined February 2003
United States5241 Posts
May 16 2010 17:38 GMT
#130
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


But no real freedom of research direction AFAIK. Professors running their own lab have extraordinary independence.
wtf was that signature
Servolisk
Profile Blog Joined February 2003
United States5241 Posts
May 16 2010 17:40 GMT
#131
On May 17 2010 02:31 illu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.


They generally don't want to work elsewhere. For most people tenure is the ideal position. And they are very independent with their own research, which is most of their job. Much more freedom than industry.
wtf was that signature
Servolisk
Profile Blog Joined February 2003
United States5241 Posts
May 16 2010 17:43 GMT
#132
On May 16 2010 23:53 heyoka wrote:
There is not a single professor anywhere who has gone his entire career without publishing a paper what gives you that idea that people like that exist?


He said a Nature paper, and he is completely right.
wtf was that signature
Fraidnot
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States824 Posts
May 16 2010 17:43 GMT
#133
On May 17 2010 02:26 BluzMan wrote:
FFS programming is a science.


Yeah sure, and so is political science. lol
love1another
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1844 Posts
May 16 2010 17:46 GMT
#134
Well... I'm at least in CS. Programming, though, is not a science. It's quite literally engineering.
"I'm learning more and more that TL isn't the place to go for advice outside of anything you need in college. It's like you guys just make up your own fantasy world shit and post it as if you've done it." - Chill
Ecorin
Profile Joined August 2008
Estonia84 Posts
May 16 2010 17:48 GMT
#135
My dream would be working as a scientist in a laboratory, messing with gene samples and whatnot. That would require a minimum 3 years (+2 to get even better chances) of studying. But I would like the job of having machines do half the work for me. I also like it being very monotone and routine. Would be the best job for me because I can slack around.
Like I said before.we are going to own these guys,no problem.I could beat their entire team 1 on 8 with no monitor. -Tasteless translating
revy
Profile Joined September 2009
United States1524 Posts
May 16 2010 18:35 GMT
#136
On May 17 2010 01:09 Luddite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 01:04 micronesia wrote:
On May 17 2010 00:58 revy wrote:
I have a somewhat related experience that I will share.

3 years ago I graduated from college with a B.S. in Physics from a reputable university with decent but not stellar grades (my GPA went roughly as a positive exponential). Initially I decided I would carry through and get a PhD in Physics so I made a round of applications for grad schools while I worked as a waiter. Long story short I messed up a lot of the application process, received some outright rejections due to my poor grades during my early college career, and ended up with nothing to do around May 2 years ago.

I decided I would then hit the job market with my B.S. in Physics. Mind you this was during incredibly difficult economic times, but regardless I turned up a blank. I applied to every position I might be remotely qualified for, I exhausted every contact that my former professors and my girlfriends family had, hell I submitted my resume to places that weren't even hiring. November comes around and I still had made essentially no progress, I had picked up a 20 hour a week position as an educator at a museum to go along with my waiting tables on Friday/Saturday Nights. The museum position was fun, but I was a rather intelligent 24 year old with a B.S. in a hard science, I wanted to do something more technical.

So I approached the graduate school attached to my alma mater and started on a M.S. in Electrical Engineering in January 2009. With a B.S. in Physics I had some basic circuits (which put me in a huge hole) though, I had a heck of a lot more math than anyone else there. I worked my ass off to catch up, I had essentially no free time between my jobs and studying. It worked though, by the time summer 2009 rolled around I had a 3.8.

The thing about this M.S. in engineering program is that it is somewhat like a trade school version of a M.S. The challenge is there, don't get me wrong, they have very smart professors and students. The thing is that the professors are all PhD's who are professors on the side. Very few of the professors do so as their primary means of employ. They're all engineers in the field, many own their own companies or work for the big companies in the area (GE, Knoll's Atomic Power Lab, etc). So they farm talent directly out of their classes, this is what happened to me in early November 2009, I was offered a Jr. Engineering position at a small industrial electrical R&D firm.

Since then I've been juggling the difficult full time job + full time graduate student ordeal but It's something I'm familiar with considering how hard I had to work to catch up to people who had B.S. degrees in EE. My GPA is now up over a 3.9 and I've received several pay hikes which put me more than double the "standard postdoc salary" that Dr. Katz wrote about in the article above. I'm almost done with my M.S. I'll be done in under 1 month at which point I will get another nice pay increase.

Long story short (TLDR version) , my B.S. in Physics has helped me tremendously but when it came to getting a job it was essentially worthless. From the time I signed on as a M.S. Electrical Engineering student it took me exactly 9 months to get a GOOD job.

Interesting story that I'm glad you shared... when I got my BS in physics (graduated in May 07 from umd) I wasn't in your predicament since I was planning and certified to search for public school teaching jobs... of course that represented its own challenges.

So.. your bs didn't get you any kind of a reasonable job by itself from your searching, but your connections through your masters in engineering is what did it... I wonder what advice we should be gleaming from your experience.

seems like his experience basically agrees with the article- way better job prospects with an engineering degree than with a science degree.


You know, I don't really know what you should take home from my experience, I would say that it somewhat lends credence to the article at the start. I couldn't buy a technical job with my Physics B.S and by the time I was halfway done with a masters in EE I had a good job. That said I would not trade my Physics B.S. for anything, I feel like the most important thing that Physics taught me was how to learn. By it's varied nature Physics throws you at all sorts of new problems in completely disparate fields and you are forced to adapt your thinking to solve them. This is the only reason I was able to make the transition rather seamlessly from Physics to EE, I knew how to learn quickly. This very talent is why I succeed at work as well, I see a new problem, I've never done anything like it before, and I just do it. It takes a long time and I make a ton of mistakes, but in the end I solve it. I'm not sure if that's how it works in other fields I'ld appreciate someone's experience in this regard.

If nothing else I guess it proves that if you work really hard you can get there, despite past mistakes.
hacpee
Profile Joined November 2007
United States752 Posts
May 16 2010 18:35 GMT
#137
On May 17 2010 01:24 Fraidnot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 16 2010 21:46 nath wrote:
"In contrast, a doctor typically enters private practice at 29, a lawyer at 25 and makes partner at 31, and a computer scientist with a Ph.D. has a very good job at 27 (computer science and engineering are the few fields in which industrial demand makes it sensible to get a Ph.D.)."


FUCK YES!

going to grad school for Comp Sci next year, article scared me because my dad is also a physics professor and always told me this, but i guess it doesnt apply to comp sci! :D


That's because Computer Science isn't real science, 1s and 0s? please don't be ridiculous, everybody knows we only play video games and then just half-ass a few hours work and sell a program for way more then it's worth.


Computer science is basically math, which is not a science but a subject in the field of liberal arts. From what I understand, computer scientists know how to program, but the course track offered in universities stress mathematical theory and proofs rather than programming know-how.
hacpee
Profile Joined November 2007
United States752 Posts
May 16 2010 18:38 GMT
#138
The article is pretty much dead on btw. Except for the point that computer programmers make a lot of money. Many computer programmers make shit because of outsourcing. In fact in many engineering fields, the job market is more attractive in developing nations because that's where companies(US companies mind you) hire.
JohannesH
Profile Joined September 2009
Finland1364 Posts
May 16 2010 18:44 GMT
#139
On May 17 2010 02:31 illu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.

I dont know, maybe its different in the US... But here physicists get jobs pretty decently
If you have to ask, you don't know.
lowbright
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
308 Posts
May 16 2010 18:51 GMT
#140
On May 17 2010 02:48 Ecorin wrote:
My dream would be working as a scientist in a laboratory, messing with gene samples and whatnot. That would require a minimum 3 years (+2 to get even better chances) of studying. But I would like the job of having machines do half the work for me. I also like it being very monotone and routine. Would be the best job for me because I can slack around.


this sounds just like a job working in the microbiology laboratory of a hospital or something. if you're being serious, that's what you should probably look into after getting a bachelor of science in biology or something like that.
TeamLiquid CJ Entusman #49
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 196
ProTech131
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17802
Rain 1565
GuemChi 716
NaDa 23
Bale 19
Dota 2
monkeys_forever476
NeuroSwarm201
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
summit1g7064
taco 560
minikerr46
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1128
Mew2King98
Other Games
WinterStarcraft567
JimRising 565
C9.Mang0189
ViBE131
ZombieGrub15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick990
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 179
• davetesta36
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Stunt297
• Lourlo151
Other Games
• Scarra959
• Shiphtur581
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
7h 12m
INu's Battles
8h 12m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
10h 12m
OSC
19h 27m
Replay Cast
20h 12m
OSC
1d 20h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.