• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:39
CEST 05:39
KST 12:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7313 users

Don't become a scientist - Page 8

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 13 Next All
theKOT
Profile Joined June 2009
United States167 Posts
May 16 2010 18:57 GMT
#141
I recently grew a little sick of my physics undergrad and my plan was to go into computer science. However, I talked to my professor who is a Biophysicist and he said that the biophysics field is expanding and has very high demand for post docs and professors. What I've heard from the seniors in the physics program was that some fields of physics were very saturated and competitive (especially astrophysics) and others were underpopulated and easy to get in to.
FBH and Bisu. That's all you need.
Kezzer
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1268 Posts
May 16 2010 18:58 GMT
#142
Anyone know anything about aeronautics? As in being a pilot of a plane? I've wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid, but never took it seriously because I thought they either weren't paid much, or there weren't enough jobs available. Thanks for the help.
revy
Profile Joined September 2009
United States1524 Posts
May 16 2010 19:00 GMT
#143
On May 17 2010 03:44 JohannesH wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 02:31 illu wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.

I dont know, maybe its different in the US... But here physicists get jobs pretty decently



I've had thoughts on this actually, I hope nobody else has mentioned this (I haven't read the entire thread). In my experience in the small University setting, Physics is a service department. The Physics department is responsible for A) Training new Majors and B) Giving introductory courses to Engineering students. In the same regard, the Math department does two things A) Trains majors B) Trains Physicists and to a lesser extent Engineers. Since the Physics and Math departments have to support other departments they are granted more staff than their number of majors would usually grant them. More Staff = More Tenure track positions available = More employed PhDs.

Yes I'm probably ignoring some possibly important factors, but hey, I was a physics major (concentration in astrophysics) we make lots of assumptions. =)

What was that? My numbers were within an order of magnitude? Close enough!
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
May 16 2010 20:35 GMT
#144
On May 17 2010 04:00 revy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 03:44 JohannesH wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:31 illu wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.

I dont know, maybe its different in the US... But here physicists get jobs pretty decently



I've had thoughts on this actually, I hope nobody else has mentioned this (I haven't read the entire thread). In my experience in the small University setting, Physics is a service department. The Physics department is responsible for A) Training new Majors and B) Giving introductory courses to Engineering students. In the same regard, the Math department does two things A) Trains majors B) Trains Physicists and to a lesser extent Engineers. Since the Physics and Math departments have to support other departments they are granted more staff than their number of majors would usually grant them. More Staff = More Tenure track positions available = More employed PhDs.

Yes I'm probably ignoring some possibly important factors, but hey, I was a physics major (concentration in astrophysics) we make lots of assumptions. =)

What was that? My numbers were within an order of magnitude? Close enough!


I don't think any of the arguments above were against my point. A PhD in physics cannot net you a job in industry. Consequently you can only find a job in a university. This is a lot more limiting than, say, someone with a PhD in computer science, statistics, or pharmacology.
:]
Three
Profile Joined April 2010
Japan278 Posts
May 16 2010 20:58 GMT
#145
The best way to make money is to rob banks
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
May 16 2010 21:02 GMT
#146
On May 17 2010 05:58 Three wrote:
The best way to make money is to rob banks


Back in 1930s, maybe.
:]
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
May 16 2010 21:06 GMT
#147
On May 17 2010 05:35 illu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 04:00 revy wrote:
On May 17 2010 03:44 JohannesH wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:31 illu wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.

I dont know, maybe its different in the US... But here physicists get jobs pretty decently



I've had thoughts on this actually, I hope nobody else has mentioned this (I haven't read the entire thread). In my experience in the small University setting, Physics is a service department. The Physics department is responsible for A) Training new Majors and B) Giving introductory courses to Engineering students. In the same regard, the Math department does two things A) Trains majors B) Trains Physicists and to a lesser extent Engineers. Since the Physics and Math departments have to support other departments they are granted more staff than their number of majors would usually grant them. More Staff = More Tenure track positions available = More employed PhDs.

Yes I'm probably ignoring some possibly important factors, but hey, I was a physics major (concentration in astrophysics) we make lots of assumptions. =)

What was that? My numbers were within an order of magnitude? Close enough!


I don't think any of the arguments above were against my point. A PhD in physics cannot net you a job in industry. Consequently you can only find a job in a university. This is a lot more limiting than, say, someone with a PhD in computer science, statistics, or pharmacology.

I stand by my earlier claim that it's a big exaggeration to say a phd in physics cannot get you a job in industry. Still I agree it's very tough which is why you can't rely on that.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
pyr0ma5ta
Profile Joined May 2010
United States458 Posts
May 16 2010 21:06 GMT
#148
I'm a current PhD student in Biology. This piece is right on the ball.
"I made you a zergling, but I eated it." - Defiler
TriniMasta
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1323 Posts
May 16 2010 21:07 GMT
#149
mmm if you become a scientist you better do something revolutionary or ur not gonna enjoy life >.>
정명훈 FIGHTING!!! Play both T and P.
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
May 16 2010 21:08 GMT
#150
On May 17 2010 05:35 illu wrote:A PhD in physics cannot net you a job in industry. Consequently you can only find a job in a university.

http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/highlite/emp3/emphigh.pdf

Are these statistics just wrong or something? Almost 40% of physics PhDs here get jobs outside academia. That does not at all mesh with "cannot get you a job in industry."
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
May 16 2010 21:11 GMT
#151
On May 17 2010 06:08 crate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 05:35 illu wrote:A PhD in physics cannot net you a job in industry. Consequently you can only find a job in a university.

http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/highlite/emp3/emphigh.pdf

Are these statistics just wrong or something? Almost 40% of physics PhDs here get jobs outside academia. That does not at all mesh with "cannot get you a job in industry."


O wow, I am surprised. I guess I was just biased on physics.
:]
revy
Profile Joined September 2009
United States1524 Posts
May 16 2010 22:27 GMT
#152
On May 17 2010 05:35 illu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 04:00 revy wrote:
On May 17 2010 03:44 JohannesH wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:31 illu wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.

I dont know, maybe its different in the US... But here physicists get jobs pretty decently



I've had thoughts on this actually, I hope nobody else has mentioned this (I haven't read the entire thread). In my experience in the small University setting, Physics is a service department. The Physics department is responsible for A) Training new Majors and B) Giving introductory courses to Engineering students. In the same regard, the Math department does two things A) Trains majors B) Trains Physicists and to a lesser extent Engineers. Since the Physics and Math departments have to support other departments they are granted more staff than their number of majors would usually grant them. More Staff = More Tenure track positions available = More employed PhDs.

Yes I'm probably ignoring some possibly important factors, but hey, I was a physics major (concentration in astrophysics) we make lots of assumptions. =)

What was that? My numbers were within an order of magnitude? Close enough!


I don't think any of the arguments above were against my point. A PhD in physics cannot net you a job in industry. Consequently you can only find a job in a university. This is a lot more limiting than, say, someone with a PhD in computer science, statistics, or pharmacology.



Oh absolutely, I wasn't trying to refute anything you were saying I was merely offering my thoughts on why I thought that you were correct.
ray1234
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada679 Posts
May 17 2010 00:25 GMT
#153
On May 17 2010 06:06 micronesia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 05:35 illu wrote:
On May 17 2010 04:00 revy wrote:
On May 17 2010 03:44 JohannesH wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:31 illu wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.

I dont know, maybe its different in the US... But here physicists get jobs pretty decently



I've had thoughts on this actually, I hope nobody else has mentioned this (I haven't read the entire thread). In my experience in the small University setting, Physics is a service department. The Physics department is responsible for A) Training new Majors and B) Giving introductory courses to Engineering students. In the same regard, the Math department does two things A) Trains majors B) Trains Physicists and to a lesser extent Engineers. Since the Physics and Math departments have to support other departments they are granted more staff than their number of majors would usually grant them. More Staff = More Tenure track positions available = More employed PhDs.

Yes I'm probably ignoring some possibly important factors, but hey, I was a physics major (concentration in astrophysics) we make lots of assumptions. =)

What was that? My numbers were within an order of magnitude? Close enough!


I don't think any of the arguments above were against my point. A PhD in physics cannot net you a job in industry. Consequently you can only find a job in a university. This is a lot more limiting than, say, someone with a PhD in computer science, statistics, or pharmacology.

I stand by my earlier claim that it's a big exaggeration to say a phd in physics cannot get you a job in industry. Still I agree it's very tough which is why you can't rely on that.


This is absolutely not true, many of my PhD colleagues have great jobs in tech companies, banks, software companies etc... Some physics PhD are very narrow minded and dont know how to find jobs or sell themselves, but to my knowledge, the theoretical physicists out bid finance majors and economists when it comes to landing quant, analyst and other lucrative back end job in banks. And experimental physicists often have more hands on skills than most engineers and they definitely can get lots of engineering jobs
go OVERSKY MODE!
Ganondorf
Profile Joined April 2010
Italy600 Posts
May 17 2010 00:33 GMT
#154
So don't become a scientist because there's already too many of them ? Sounds reasonable. I would also recommend against becoming a computer scientist if you're looking for a well paying job. Law or medicine works alot better.
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
May 17 2010 00:48 GMT
#155
On May 17 2010 03:58 BDF92 wrote:
Anyone know anything about aeronautics? As in being a pilot of a plane? I've wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid, but never took it seriously because I thought they either weren't paid much, or there weren't enough jobs available. Thanks for the help.

not really related to the op but..

unless your fit to join the air force, get ready to shell out a large chunk of money to get your license.
Your going to need your private pilots license and then work your way to a commercials license with extra ratings like night flying, multi engine etc... Being a pilot for an airline can pay very well, the toughest part is getting enough hours and experience.

Getting your commercials can cost about 30000$ (in Canada) with most switching to being an instructor to build up the hours.
© Current year.
DefMatrixUltra
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada1992 Posts
May 17 2010 00:56 GMT
#156
On May 16 2010 09:29 Robinsa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 16 2010 09:26 orgolove wrote:
KoF, are you from an ivy? CHEs becoming consultants... how does that work?

Having a proper engineerng degree makes you able to pretty much anything. From what Ive seen its much harder to get a leading position in an economy department with an economy degree opposed to a physics degree.


This is super true. Engineering/physics degrees can set you up for work in a huge number of fields. The intense mathematical background you get from these degrees guarantees your usefulness in real-world problems.

There is actually a program at my school for physics students to take courses in economics - they are guaranteed a professorship at the end of the program. Not anything fancy, but even getting an associate professorship is a big deal and can start you on a career if you're interested in that path.

People with science degrees are setting themselves up for success. They just need to grab it.
Gnaix
Profile Joined February 2009
United States438 Posts
May 17 2010 00:57 GMT
#157
Based upon my parents' experiences, what this professors says is very close to the truth.
one thing that sc2 has over bw is the fact that I can actually manage my hotkeys
SonKiE
Profile Joined March 2010
United States167 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 01:07:22
May 17 2010 01:01 GMT
#158
What about a degree in pharmaceutical product development?
country
rust.oxide
Profile Joined May 2010
United States94 Posts
May 17 2010 01:12 GMT
#159
On May 17 2010 05:35 illu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 04:00 revy wrote:
On May 17 2010 03:44 JohannesH wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:31 illu wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.

I dont know, maybe its different in the US... But here physicists get jobs pretty decently



I've had thoughts on this actually, I hope nobody else has mentioned this (I haven't read the entire thread). In my experience in the small University setting, Physics is a service department. The Physics department is responsible for A) Training new Majors and B) Giving introductory courses to Engineering students. In the same regard, the Math department does two things A) Trains majors B) Trains Physicists and to a lesser extent Engineers. Since the Physics and Math departments have to support other departments they are granted more staff than their number of majors would usually grant them. More Staff = More Tenure track positions available = More employed PhDs.

Yes I'm probably ignoring some possibly important factors, but hey, I was a physics major (concentration in astrophysics) we make lots of assumptions. =)

What was that? My numbers were within an order of magnitude? Close enough!


I don't think any of the arguments above were against my point. A PhD in physics cannot net you a job in industry. Consequently you can only find a job in a university. This is a lot more limiting than, say, someone with a PhD in computer science, statistics, or pharmacology.


Completely and utterly wrong. There are plenty of jobs in industry for physics PhDs.

Just off the top of my head, there are always quants; Physics PhD holders who work on Wall Street.
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
May 17 2010 01:24 GMT
#160
On May 17 2010 10:12 rust.oxide wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 05:35 illu wrote:
On May 17 2010 04:00 revy wrote:
On May 17 2010 03:44 JohannesH wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:31 illu wrote:
On May 17 2010 02:00 Simplistik wrote:
Not every scientist works at a university. There's much joy, and money, to be had by working in industry.


That's true. But a physicist like the author of that article has no choice but to work for the university.

I dont know, maybe its different in the US... But here physicists get jobs pretty decently



I've had thoughts on this actually, I hope nobody else has mentioned this (I haven't read the entire thread). In my experience in the small University setting, Physics is a service department. The Physics department is responsible for A) Training new Majors and B) Giving introductory courses to Engineering students. In the same regard, the Math department does two things A) Trains majors B) Trains Physicists and to a lesser extent Engineers. Since the Physics and Math departments have to support other departments they are granted more staff than their number of majors would usually grant them. More Staff = More Tenure track positions available = More employed PhDs.

Yes I'm probably ignoring some possibly important factors, but hey, I was a physics major (concentration in astrophysics) we make lots of assumptions. =)

What was that? My numbers were within an order of magnitude? Close enough!


I don't think any of the arguments above were against my point. A PhD in physics cannot net you a job in industry. Consequently you can only find a job in a university. This is a lot more limiting than, say, someone with a PhD in computer science, statistics, or pharmacology.


Completely and utterly wrong. There are plenty of jobs in industry for physics PhDs.

Just off the top of my head, there are always quants; Physics PhD holders who work on Wall Street.


But I think that kind of jobs are more suitable for people with (at least) a master's degree in mathematical finance.
:]
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 211
ProTech123
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17671
Rain 1498
GuemChi 644
sSak 34
Bale 21
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm196
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 453
Coldzera 353
minikerr33
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1070
Mew2King68
Other Games
summit1g7166
WinterStarcraft635
JimRising 628
C9.Mang0166
ViBE130
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1014
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 15
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo743
• Stunt330
Other Games
• Scarra886
• Shiphtur573
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 21m
INu's Battles
7h 21m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 21m
OSC
18h 36m
Replay Cast
19h 21m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.