• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:37
CEST 19:37
KST 02:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8727 users

College Acceptance Thread '10 - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27 28 Next All
LLXC
Profile Joined September 2009
United States125 Posts
March 18 2010 01:28 GMT
#81
Don't mean this in a mean way, but why did you apply to all those Cal State schools? With the exception of Cal Poly for impacted majors, they're auto acceptance. You could have simply applied to Cal Poly and one other state school and saved the app fees...
mmp
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2130 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-18 01:32:25
March 18 2010 01:31 GMT
#82
Good luck everyone!

Don't freak out if you miss your dream school, it's not the end of the world and chance is a major factor.
I (λ (foo) (and (<3 foo) ( T_T foo) (RAGE foo) )) Starcraft
FiBsTeR
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States415 Posts
March 18 2010 01:34 GMT
#83
On March 18 2010 02:35 akevin wrote:
Grad School - PhD in Chemistry/Chemical Biology

University of Toronto: Accepted
Scripps Research Institute: Accepted
MIT: Accepted
Caltech: Accepted
Harvard: Accepted
Stanford: Rejected


If you're gosu, go to MIT, we could use more players. If not go to Caltech and you'll fit right in!
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-18 01:44:44
March 18 2010 01:37 GMT
#84
On March 18 2010 10:34 FiBsTeR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2010 02:35 akevin wrote:
Grad School - PhD in Chemistry/Chemical Biology

University of Toronto: Accepted
Scripps Research Institute: Accepted
MIT: Accepted
Caltech: Accepted
Harvard: Accepted
Stanford: Rejected


Holy whoa, nice job on Harvard. Did they send you the likely letter really early?
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Saracen
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5139 Posts
March 18 2010 01:41 GMT
#85
On March 18 2010 10:34 FiBsTeR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2010 02:35 akevin wrote:
Grad School - PhD in Chemistry/Chemical Biology

University of Toronto: Accepted
Scripps Research Institute: Accepted
MIT: Accepted
Caltech: Accepted
Harvard: Accepted
Stanford: Rejected


If you're gosu, go to MIT, we could use more players. If not go to Caltech and you'll fit right in!

lol
Come to Caltech.
LLXC
Profile Joined September 2009
United States125 Posts
March 18 2010 01:41 GMT
#86
For anybody planning on applying to a PhD program, you need to read PhDComics...

I returned to school last year (good thing I decided to simply get my Masters) and feel STUPID for choosing to leave my job. I'm not worried about finding another job; it's just that I rather be working than at school...
mmp
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2130 Posts
March 18 2010 01:42 GMT
#87
On March 18 2010 10:34 FiBsTeR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2010 02:35 akevin wrote:
Grad School - PhD in Chemistry/Chemical Biology

University of Toronto: Accepted
Scripps Research Institute: Accepted
MIT: Accepted
Caltech: Accepted
Harvard: Accepted
Stanford: Rejected


If you're gosu, go to MIT, we could use more players. If not go to Caltech and you'll fit right in!


I second this statement. Gosus come to MIT - we made playoffs last CSL+.

Unfortunately, the weather is not as nice here as it is at Stanford >_>
I (λ (foo) (and (<3 foo) ( T_T foo) (RAGE foo) )) Starcraft
mmp
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2130 Posts
March 18 2010 01:52 GMT
#88
On March 18 2010 10:41 Saracen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2010 10:34 FiBsTeR wrote:
On March 18 2010 02:35 akevin wrote:
Grad School - PhD in Chemistry/Chemical Biology

University of Toronto: Accepted
Scripps Research Institute: Accepted
MIT: Accepted
Caltech: Accepted
Harvard: Accepted
Stanford: Rejected


If you're gosu, go to MIT, we could use more players. If not go to Caltech and you'll fit right in!

lol
Come to Caltech.

lol
Come to MIT.
I (λ (foo) (and (<3 foo) ( T_T foo) (RAGE foo) )) Starcraft
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
March 18 2010 02:49 GMT
#89
applying for undergrad:

UChicago - early action, accepted
Caltech - early action, accepted
MIT - regular decision, accepted [top choice I think? since I'm looking to be a math major and I know a lot of MIT students... but financial aid = sadddddd day]

waiting on Harvard, Princeton, Duke...
Writer
Chen
Profile Joined June 2009
United States6344 Posts
March 18 2010 02:56 GMT
#90
On March 18 2010 09:10 Z3kk wrote:
Is Chen's GPA throughout the entire year, or just Senior/Junior year, or what?

GPA is freshman-now. so all four years and severely dragged down from frosh year where we were prohibited from taking AP's
DarkOptik
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
452 Posts
March 18 2010 03:03 GMT
#91
On March 18 2010 11:49 ]343[ wrote:
applying for undergrad:

UChicago - early action, accepted
Caltech - early action, accepted
MIT - regular decision, accepted [top choice I think? since I'm looking to be a math major and I know a lot of MIT students... but financial aid = sadddddd day]

waiting on Harvard, Princeton, Duke...


Wow! Impressive. I would say you're a shoe-in for Duke then really, although obviously the other two are a different story.

Do you mind sharing some of your stats/extras? I assume you made USAMO at least once .
Pape
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Serbia419 Posts
March 18 2010 03:05 GMT
#92
On March 18 2010 09:16 Deux wrote:
Being from the Illinois I only applied to schools in the region.

~5.3 weighted (we have a strange scale
~3.65 unweighted
33 ACT Composite, 36 Reading, 35 Math, 35 Science, 29-30 English
~2K SAT (no idea why I took it)
Extracurricular: 2 clubs, one with leadership + NHS + a fair amount of volunteer work
Full time job over the summer

University of Iowa - Accepted
Purdue University - Accepted
University of Illinois - Accepted
Computer engineering at all 3

99% sure I'm headed to Illinois in the fall, a top 5 engineering school in-state in kinda a no brainer.

GL to everyone still waiting


Why not Iowa State? Iowa is shit engineering school
ISU is great engineering school, I go there for construction engineering
good luck have fun!
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
March 18 2010 03:05 GMT
#93
On March 18 2010 12:03 DarkOptik wrote:
Do you mind sharing some of your stats/extras? I assume you made USAMO at least once .


I highly doubt this. Only a top few students make it to the USAMO. I could see someone scoring a few points on the AIME, but I haven't met many people who made it to the USAMO.

In any case, with any top school it's a crapshoot. Nothing can help.
Moderator
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
March 18 2010 03:10 GMT
#94
On March 18 2010 12:03 DarkOptik wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2010 11:49 ]343[ wrote:
applying for undergrad:

UChicago - early action, accepted
Caltech - early action, accepted
MIT - regular decision, accepted [top choice I think? since I'm looking to be a math major and I know a lot of MIT students... but financial aid = sadddddd day]

waiting on Harvard, Princeton, Duke...


Wow! Impressive. I would say you're a shoe-in for Duke then really, although obviously the other two are a different story.

Do you mind sharing some of your stats/extras? I assume you made USAMO at least once .


haha yeah I hope I can get into Duke seeing as I live in NC...

stats -
9th/10th grade no GPA (straight As?)
11th/12th grade my school has weird weird weighted GPA but 5.38/6.0 I think? ("normal" classes are 5.0, "honors"-ish are 5.5 and "college-level" are 6.0... heh.)

3x Math Olympiad Summer Program qualifier
RSI 2010 participant, Siemens regional finalist, Intel semifinalist

unfortunately I have to randomly improve a lot if I want to make IMO this year, unlike some certain other people on this forum who are shoo-ins... but that's another story.

4-year varsity swimmer (really 6, since I went to a K12 school back then, but whatever)
9-year clarinet player

~270? service hours

oh and also
>= 1 hour/day spent on TL looooool this is why my math skills are nosediving
Writer
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 18 2010 03:12 GMT
#95
you think an hour a day is a lot?

r o f l
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
March 18 2010 03:14 GMT
#96
On March 18 2010 12:12 FragKrag wrote:
you think an hour a day is a lot?

r o f l


darn dude that's why I included the greater than or equal sign!

i really need to spend more time doing math (and other "useful" stuff?) and less time on the internet :|
Writer
DarkOptik
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
452 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-18 03:20:08
March 18 2010 03:16 GMT
#97
@Empyrean:

I say that for a number of reasons. Going into MIT as a math major without any "connections" is, I would say, one hardest possible admissions feats possible. My best friend, who was valedictorian of my class, was in USAMO his junior and senior years, won one of the distinctions in it for fully completing one of the six problems, and got rejected from MIT. He made AIME all four years of his high school career. He goes to Princeton right now, after being accepted into every other school he applied to, including Caltech, Duke, etc.

I would say that getting admitted Math at MIT is far and away among the most difficult things to get into.

As for any top school being a crapshoot, I disagree and agree. However, in this context, I think that anyone who gets into MIT, UChicago, Caltech, has an almost for sure chance to get into Duke. Duke honestly isn't really that hard compared to the other top 10, and I'm not saying that because I'm biased or like to bash on it. I go there myself.

EDIT: People post fast.
Chen
Profile Joined June 2009
United States6344 Posts
March 18 2010 03:24 GMT
#98
On March 18 2010 12:05 Empyrean wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2010 12:03 DarkOptik wrote:
Do you mind sharing some of your stats/extras? I assume you made USAMO at least once .


I highly doubt this. Only a top few students make it to the USAMO. I could see someone scoring a few points on the AIME, but I haven't met many people who made it to the USAMO.

In any case, with any top school it's a crapshoot. Nothing can help.

i had a friend who was in USAMO and was deferred EA to MIT. got accepted normally though.
FiBsTeR
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States415 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-18 03:30:44
March 18 2010 03:25 GMT
#99
On March 18 2010 12:16 DarkOptik wrote:
@Empyrean:

I say that for a number of reasons. Going into MIT as a math major without any "connections" is, I would say, one hardest possible admissions feats possible

[...]

I would say that getting admitted Math at MIT is far and away among the most difficult things to get into.



You don't apply to a specific program/major when you apply to MIT... most undergrads don't even declare their major until sophomore year. I'm a math major here and I didn't have any "connections", nor do I have any outstanding math-y accomplishments.
DarkOptik
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
452 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-18 03:33:06
March 18 2010 03:28 GMT
#100
Then props to you . There's a reason I prefaced everything I said with "I would say". Just my useless opinion.

EDIT: As for applying as Math to MIT: I thought there was something you put down, although I guess I remember incorrectly. I am sure, however, that if you use the Common App to apply to any of the other top Ivies that you basically have to put down your expected concentration/major.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 26 27 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
Laughngamez YouTube
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 224
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 572
IndyStarCraft 224
BRAT_OK 53
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27242
Mini 445
Hyuk 263
firebathero 185
ggaemo 121
Liquid`Ret 74
Mong 49
Hyun 42
Killer 29
PianO 24
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 21
Rock 17
Bale 10
Sacsri 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9688
qojqva1666
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1306
crisheroes1210
Liquid`Hasu629
Other Games
Grubby2422
FrodaN2092
fl0m1150
Beastyqt763
Mlord369
Livibee162
KnowMe153
ArmadaUGS122
Mew2King55
Trikslyr44
ToD31
CosmosSc2 19
Chillindude8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick936
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 47
• printf 46
• mYiSmile122
• Adnapsc2 14
• LUISG 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• Michael_bg 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7587
Other Games
• imaqtpie578
• Shiphtur242
• WagamamaTV225
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1h 23m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 23m
INu's Battles
18h 23m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
21h 23m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 16h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.