• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:13
CEST 04:13
KST 11:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)24Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8432 users

Do you agree with item/gold buying? - Page 3

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-10 11:05:27
January 10 2012 11:03 GMT
#41
On January 10 2012 19:17 dcemuser wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2012 18:27 paralleluniverse wrote:
On January 10 2012 09:59 Liquid`Drone wrote:
but I don't have any problems with people buying items or characters from people who have made those items or characters. I mean take wow for example, say you're 26 years old and you're working, but you wanna play arena. you need a level 80? char but you can't spend the 500 hours it takes to get there, however you have no problems forking over whatever it costs to some chinese guy. I understand that it might take some of the "novelty" or whatever of having found some super awesome gear when you notice that lots of other guys have purchased even better gear, but I think that's just something you gotta deal with. be happy you have enough time to grind if that's what you did, I guess.

In your example, I would argue that if the person is unable to make his own arena-worthy character then he doesn't deserve to have an arena-worthy character, and certainly shouldn't be able to buy one.

Then the argument may shift to the assertion that it takes too long or too much grinding to make a character that is able to effectively compete in arenas. If that is the case, the solution should be to make that easier, rather than allowing players to buy characters, items or gold for real money. The latter benefits rich people, and I can think of no justifiable reason why a game should single out rich people for particular benefits, while the former is fair and equal for all players.


Welcome to capitalism? I mean I'm serious, trading money for time and vice versa is completely standard in almost all aspects of life.

It makes sense it would transfer into gaming as well.


People are always going to do this. If you're rich enough you won't care about its legality. It makes sense for game makers to legalize it, remove the scamming aspect, take a 5% profit from it, and destroy all the gold selling sites by making their service better.

I'm well aware of capitalism in real life, and I have no problems with it for the most part. But a video game is not real life.

The solution to it being too hard to make a viable arena character in a game is to make it easier, not to allow character, item, or gold buying. The latter is a real life solution to a game problem, and is unfair compared to the former, which is better.
Tachion
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada8573 Posts
January 10 2012 11:08 GMT
#42
A few years ago in FFXI, gil farmers completely fucking ruined the game and the in-game economy. I mean reaalllyyyyy bad. They camped popular mobs and used third party bot programs to get claims on a lot of popular enemies.
In a situation like that I could never support gold buying, because in doing so you support the people who are ruining the game for everyone else.
If the gold sellers have no effect on the game, then I don't really care.
i was driving down the road this november eve and spotted a hitchhiker walking down the street. i pulled over and saw that it was only a tree. i uprooted it and put it in my trunk. do trees like marshmallow peeps? cause that's all i have and will have.
dcemuser
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3248 Posts
January 10 2012 14:34 GMT
#43
On January 10 2012 20:03 paralleluniverse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2012 19:17 dcemuser wrote:
On January 10 2012 18:27 paralleluniverse wrote:
On January 10 2012 09:59 Liquid`Drone wrote:
but I don't have any problems with people buying items or characters from people who have made those items or characters. I mean take wow for example, say you're 26 years old and you're working, but you wanna play arena. you need a level 80? char but you can't spend the 500 hours it takes to get there, however you have no problems forking over whatever it costs to some chinese guy. I understand that it might take some of the "novelty" or whatever of having found some super awesome gear when you notice that lots of other guys have purchased even better gear, but I think that's just something you gotta deal with. be happy you have enough time to grind if that's what you did, I guess.

In your example, I would argue that if the person is unable to make his own arena-worthy character then he doesn't deserve to have an arena-worthy character, and certainly shouldn't be able to buy one.

Then the argument may shift to the assertion that it takes too long or too much grinding to make a character that is able to effectively compete in arenas. If that is the case, the solution should be to make that easier, rather than allowing players to buy characters, items or gold for real money. The latter benefits rich people, and I can think of no justifiable reason why a game should single out rich people for particular benefits, while the former is fair and equal for all players.


Welcome to capitalism? I mean I'm serious, trading money for time and vice versa is completely standard in almost all aspects of life.

It makes sense it would transfer into gaming as well.


People are always going to do this. If you're rich enough you won't care about its legality. It makes sense for game makers to legalize it, remove the scamming aspect, take a 5% profit from it, and destroy all the gold selling sites by making their service better.

I'm well aware of capitalism in real life, and I have no problems with it for the most part. But a video game is not real life.

The solution to it being too hard to make a viable arena character in a game is to make it easier, not to allow character, item, or gold buying. The latter is a real life solution to a game problem, and is unfair compared to the former, which is better.


The difficulty of the task is irrelevant.

Video games are part of real life. No matter how much you could roleplay it differently, they're bits of code stored on a server somewhere and should not be bound by different rules and principles because of this. I fail to see the distinction between the two.

Increasing the power of your character in a video game is not different from buying rare Magic the Gathering cards on the internet and using them to beat your friends who don't have the money to do it. There are a hundred other applicable analogies as well. You mention it is "unfair". Unfair to who? Why is it unfair? I think there are quite a few other perspectives you are ignoring.

The main reason we think it is a bad thing is because we were raised on video games that were aloof from the influence of capitalism. At the time, there did not exist means for developers to monetize games past the initial purchase fee. Over time, the internet and other advances (persistent connections, MMORPG popularity, etc.) have allowed for this. We are culturally biased against capitalism in gaming and believe that gaming should be held separate on an elite pedestal where problems can only be solved through skill and time because that is how things were in the past.
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
January 12 2012 07:25 GMT
#44
On January 10 2012 23:34 dcemuser wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2012 20:03 paralleluniverse wrote:
On January 10 2012 19:17 dcemuser wrote:
On January 10 2012 18:27 paralleluniverse wrote:
On January 10 2012 09:59 Liquid`Drone wrote:
but I don't have any problems with people buying items or characters from people who have made those items or characters. I mean take wow for example, say you're 26 years old and you're working, but you wanna play arena. you need a level 80? char but you can't spend the 500 hours it takes to get there, however you have no problems forking over whatever it costs to some chinese guy. I understand that it might take some of the "novelty" or whatever of having found some super awesome gear when you notice that lots of other guys have purchased even better gear, but I think that's just something you gotta deal with. be happy you have enough time to grind if that's what you did, I guess.

In your example, I would argue that if the person is unable to make his own arena-worthy character then he doesn't deserve to have an arena-worthy character, and certainly shouldn't be able to buy one.

Then the argument may shift to the assertion that it takes too long or too much grinding to make a character that is able to effectively compete in arenas. If that is the case, the solution should be to make that easier, rather than allowing players to buy characters, items or gold for real money. The latter benefits rich people, and I can think of no justifiable reason why a game should single out rich people for particular benefits, while the former is fair and equal for all players.


Welcome to capitalism? I mean I'm serious, trading money for time and vice versa is completely standard in almost all aspects of life.

It makes sense it would transfer into gaming as well.


People are always going to do this. If you're rich enough you won't care about its legality. It makes sense for game makers to legalize it, remove the scamming aspect, take a 5% profit from it, and destroy all the gold selling sites by making their service better.

I'm well aware of capitalism in real life, and I have no problems with it for the most part. But a video game is not real life.

The solution to it being too hard to make a viable arena character in a game is to make it easier, not to allow character, item, or gold buying. The latter is a real life solution to a game problem, and is unfair compared to the former, which is better.


The difficulty of the task is irrelevant.

Video games are part of real life. No matter how much you could roleplay it differently, they're bits of code stored on a server somewhere and should not be bound by different rules and principles because of this. I fail to see the distinction between the two.

Increasing the power of your character in a video game is not different from buying rare Magic the Gathering cards on the internet and using them to beat your friends who don't have the money to do it. There are a hundred other applicable analogies as well. You mention it is "unfair". Unfair to who? Why is it unfair? I think there are quite a few other perspectives you are ignoring.

The main reason we think it is a bad thing is because we were raised on video games that were aloof from the influence of capitalism. At the time, there did not exist means for developers to monetize games past the initial purchase fee. Over time, the internet and other advances (persistent connections, MMORPG popularity, etc.) have allowed for this. We are culturally biased against capitalism in gaming and believe that gaming should be held separate on an elite pedestal where problems can only be solved through skill and time because that is how things were in the past.

This would be a more suitable analogy.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=301815&currentpage=8
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
January 12 2012 11:49 GMT
#45
I think the most striking inference that can be drawn from this thread is that an overwhelming majority of respondents are against buying items and gold for real money, but a majority of posters are people who agree with buying items and gold for real money. It seems that these people, more than the other side, feel the need to attempt to rationalize why they agree with what was once thought cheating.
papaz
Profile Joined December 2009
Sweden4149 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-12 12:22:23
January 12 2012 12:21 GMT
#46
I voted "I agree". It's quite simple actually.

1. If i was still in school and could play 5 hours a day I would have voted "I don't agree" simply because time is the only currency I have as a kid and i trade my time in order to get better items and feel that my character is badass. I get to participate in "better" clans/ harder raids etc.

2. Now that I have a full time job and a soon to be married I can play 2-3 hours a week. So time as a currency is no-no. So either I suck it up and have a "bad" character, one that can't get the best items or participate in the hardest boss modes/raids, or Blizzard realizes the gamers grow older and wants to continue be "at the top" but only this time they don't have the time for it but instead $$.

<3 Blizzard

They always cater to my needs. Always perfect timing. I quit WoW a year ago due to not having the time to be at the top and then BAM Blizzard in august announces RMAH for Diablo 3.

Now you better believe I'm hoping that for their next-gen mmo they will have a RMAH so I can buy power and have an awesome character.
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
January 12 2012 13:14 GMT
#47
On January 12 2012 21:21 papaz wrote:
I voted "I agree". It's quite simple actually.

1. If i was still in school and could play 5 hours a day I would have voted "I don't agree" simply because time is the only currency I have as a kid and i trade my time in order to get better items and feel that my character is badass. I get to participate in "better" clans/ harder raids etc.

2. Now that I have a full time job and a soon to be married I can play 2-3 hours a week. So time as a currency is no-no. So either I suck it up and have a "bad" character, one that can't get the best items or participate in the hardest boss modes/raids, or Blizzard realizes the gamers grow older and wants to continue be "at the top" but only this time they don't have the time for it but instead $$.

<3 Blizzard

They always cater to my needs. Always perfect timing. I quit WoW a year ago due to not having the time to be at the top and then BAM Blizzard in august announces RMAH for Diablo 3.

Now you better believe I'm hoping that for their next-gen mmo they will have a RMAH so I can buy power and have an awesome character.

It's all about you.
Shauni
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
4077 Posts
January 12 2012 14:02 GMT
#48
I think it's a really stupid idea, especially for role playing games. You play such games to escape from the harsh reality, not to deal with even more corruption and money fixation. Nothing good whatsoever can come of mixing in game currency with real life currencies, it only baits clueless teenagers into thinking they can make a living of playing a game.
I'm taking whatever coverage I can get, because frankly, I'm busy working on this million dollar deal at my job. Early retirement is a good thing brotha man. - MessengerASL
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
January 12 2012 14:28 GMT
#49
I think it should be legal because whatever, people can do whatever they want... on the other hand, I won't have much fun getting my neck snapped by 12 year olds with rich parents.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Zechs
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United Kingdom321 Posts
January 12 2012 14:34 GMT
#50
I don't mind people buying vanity items for real money, that's up to them. When it starts to affect game balance i have a problem.
Esports and stuff: zechleton.tumblr.com
Tarias
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Netherlands480 Posts
January 12 2012 14:41 GMT
#51
In MMOs like WoW it's obviously not a good thing, but mainly because of the botting associated with it imo. The way it works in EVE however, is a good example of how to do it right. In EVE you can basicly buy an ingame 30-day gametime card called a "PLEX". These cost like 20 dollars and can be sold in game to other players. Unfortunately EVE can't really be compared to other MMOs, so I don't really know how this would work in a traditional MMO.
Go big, or go home!
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 166
Nina 96
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12221
Rain 2252
Artosis 648
Dewaltoss 29
Bale 25
NaDa 25
Dota 2
monkeys_forever501
NeuroSwarm193
League of Legends
Doublelift4811
Counter-Strike
taco 569
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1768
ArmadaUGS308
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1296
WinterStarcraft541
Other Games
summit1g9084
JimRising 615
PiGStarcraft477
C9.Mang0214
Maynarde157
ViBE127
ZombieGrub7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick851
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream128
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 111
• davetesta29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
7h 48m
OSC
10h 48m
Stellar Fest
10h 48m
OSC
21h 48m
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.