• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:42
CEST 14:42
KST 21:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8440 users

2011-2012 football (soccer) thread - Page 482

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 480 481 482 483 484 489 Next
Rookie6
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Brazil583 Posts
June 09 2012 21:10 GMT
#9621
On June 10 2012 06:04 Goetzinho 23 wrote:
Show nested quote +
Good luck to Argentina, hope we can have Brasil vs Argentina finals in 2014.


Maybe you manage to reach the Quarter Finals, but Brazil and Argentina are not the teams they were from 1990-2002. The european teams (Spain, Germany, Holland) are just a level above brazil/argentina.


I may agree with Spain, but I wouldn't even consider Germany/Holland as favourites against Brazil/Argentina. I think overall Spain is a little bit ahead of everybody, but the next 5-6 teams are pretty even.

Great game today, I thought Brazil had more chances than Argentina to score, but Messi was just too much to handle.
sharkie
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Austria18761 Posts
June 09 2012 21:20 GMT
#9622
On June 10 2012 06:08 IntoTheWow wrote:
Is this the guy saying japan is a force to recon? Lol


Yes I am and do you know why? Because Japan is playing a style very similar to European teams.
All you South American supporters must have missed out the last 8 years of football because it's been that long since Brazil/Argentina have had any chance to win a tournament (with the exception of 2010 Dunga Brazil I guess).

Brazil/Argentina haven't realized yet that their times of fancy individual player style of football is outdated. Europe has been dominating football for the last years because they all play like a team. I could only laugh at the Ro8 in the WC2010 when everyone was like "OMG South America is dominating the world cup" because after the Ro4 only Uruguay, who is the closest of all South American teams to play European style, was remaining of the South American teams.

Football has evolved immensely this last decade and Europe is leading the front. Africa has long lost their chance to attack Europe/South America's dominance of football that now even Asia probably play better football than them.
Raidern
Profile Joined February 2005
Brazil3821 Posts
June 09 2012 21:21 GMT
#9623
Brazil had around 9 under-23 players. That's basically our team for the Olympic games. Still, I think our team sucks and if the World Cup took place 1 month from now, we would probably go out in r16 or r8. I don't really agree that European teams are better than Argentina, though. Argentina is as good as any European team. A match between Argentina and the European champion would probably be determined by day form. That's how I see it.
For the Swarm!
Mascherano
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Argentina1726 Posts
June 09 2012 21:22 GMT
#9624
[image loading]
Bisu
IshinShishi
Profile Joined April 2012
Japan6156 Posts
June 09 2012 21:25 GMT
#9625
On June 10 2012 06:21 Raidern wrote:
Brazil had around 9 under-23 players. That's basically our team for the Olympic games. Still, I think our team sucks and if the World Cup took place 1 month from now, we would probably go out in r16 or r8. I don't really agree that European teams are better than Argentina, though. Argentina is as good as any European team. A match between Argentina and the European champion would probably be determined by day form. That's how I see it.

Agree, but I'd still give a slight edge to Spain/Germany over them.
Brasil could've probably won this game too, given the two penalty kicks this horribad judge didn't call, anyways,La Pulga too strong.
So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie
Goetzinho 23
Profile Joined June 2012
Germany39 Posts
June 09 2012 21:25 GMT
#9626
I may agree with Spain, but I wouldn't even consider Germany/Holland as favourites against Brazil/Argentina. I think overall Spain is a little bit ahead of everybody, but the next 5-6 teams are pretty even.


Germany 4-0 Argentina (World Cup 2010)
Germany 3-1 Brazil (Friendly 2011)

...and the german team only got better since 2010. And Argentina/Brazil get worse every year.
Rookie6
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Brazil583 Posts
June 09 2012 21:27 GMT
#9627
On June 10 2012 06:21 Raidern wrote:
Brazil had around 9 under-23 players. That's basically our team for the Olympic games. Still, I think our team sucks and if the World Cup took place 1 month from now, we would probably go out in r16 or r8. I don't really agree that European teams are better than Argentina, though. Argentina is as good as any European team. A match between Argentina and the European champion would probably be determined by day form. That's how I see it.


I agree. I think the key question here is that this team (Brazil) is being made with the objective of winning in 2014, so there is obviously a lot of work that needs to be done, especially in the defense. But given enough time, I think they will be great.
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
June 09 2012 21:28 GMT
#9628
Spain and Germany are definitely above Brazil rightnow.

Brazil still doesn't have a team figured out yet.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-09 21:44:10
June 09 2012 21:35 GMT
#9629
On June 10 2012 06:20 sharkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2012 06:08 IntoTheWow wrote:
Is this the guy saying japan is a force to recon? Lol


Yes I am and do you know why? Because Japan is playing a style very similar to European teams.
All you South American supporters must have missed out the last 8 years of football because it's been that long since Brazil/Argentina have had any chance to win a tournament (with the exception of 2010 Dunga Brazil I guess).

Brazil/Argentina haven't realized yet that their times of fancy individual player style of football is outdated. Europe has been dominating football for the last years because they all play like a team. I could only laugh at the Ro8 in the WC2010 when everyone was like "OMG South America is dominating the world cup" because after the Ro4 only Uruguay, who is the closest of all South American teams to play European style, was remaining of the South American teams.

Football has evolved immensely this last decade and Europe is leading the front. Africa has long lost their chance to attack Europe/South America's dominance of football that now even Asia probably play better football than them.


And that rant is relevant to Japan being a dominant force because ... ?

Hey I love the Japanese I always root for them, its the closest thing that comes to my own home country so Asian teams gogo. but realistically Japan is a ro16/quarter team and isnt topping any South Americans anytime soon, not consistently anyway.

As for their styles. Again I dont know what you saw but the game against the Dutch last WC Sneider quite literally pulled the game out of his ass because Brazil was pretty scary in that game and may well have and prob should have won it.

Then again the Dutch defense isnt really that hot either.

Brazil as it is now doesnt suffer from their style of play it suffers from having a bunch of kids playing who have time so its not all doom and gloom. I think theyll be a pretty strong team in 2 years.

Argentina has terrible coaching, always will so that problem isnt getting sovled any time soon I agree with that bit.

Asia does not play better football then South American teams. Uruguay does not play like Europeans they play like Uruguay or do you need a history lesson on how Uruguay plays its football ?

Also lets get real here. Everytime Brazil or Argentina went 2-3 World Cups without winning one the same shit started. Game is organized. catenaccio best, total foot for realz. And they came back and won one. I wouldnt be so quick to become a naysayer.

Although I admit they will have to adapt some things from the European game to have a real shot I do not believe the identity has to leave. And it shouldnt thats whats great about football.


On June 10 2012 06:36 Signet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2012 06:28 fabiano wrote:
Brazil still doesn't have a team figured out yet.

Were they giving younger players practice time for the Olympics today? Seems like the back 4 should be figured out, but Thiago Silva and Lucio didn't play.


Yes.
Signet
Profile Joined March 2007
United States1718 Posts
June 09 2012 21:36 GMT
#9630
On June 10 2012 06:28 fabiano wrote:
Brazil still doesn't have a team figured out yet.

Were they giving younger players practice time for the Olympics today? Seems like the back 4 should be figured out, but Thiago Silva and Lucio didn't play.
Raidern
Profile Joined February 2005
Brazil3821 Posts
June 09 2012 21:37 GMT
#9631
On June 10 2012 06:25 Goetzinho 23 wrote:
Show nested quote +
I may agree with Spain, but I wouldn't even consider Germany/Holland as favourites against Brazil/Argentina. I think overall Spain is a little bit ahead of everybody, but the next 5-6 teams are pretty even.


Germany 4-0 Argentina (World Cup 2010)
Germany 3-1 Brazil (Friendly 2011)

...and the german team only got better since 2010. And Argentina/Brazil get worse every year.



That was Germany 3-2 Brazil, and it was a friendly. Players don't count their goals in friendlies for a reason. Also, you shouldn't rely on a single result (from 2 years ago!) to imply that one team is better than the other. Argentina beat Spain 4-1 in a friendly after the World Cup. Using your 'logical thinking', they would be the best team in the world.
For the Swarm!
Rookie6
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Brazil583 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-09 21:42:03
June 09 2012 21:38 GMT
#9632
On June 10 2012 06:25 Goetzinho 23 wrote:
Show nested quote +
I may agree with Spain, but I wouldn't even consider Germany/Holland as favourites against Brazil/Argentina. I think overall Spain is a little bit ahead of everybody, but the next 5-6 teams are pretty even.


Germany 4-0 Argentina (World Cup 2010)
Germany 3-1 Brazil (Friendly 2011)

...and the german team only got better since 2010. And Argentina/Brazil get worse every year.


Throwing around random results here does not mean anything. Holland just lost to Denmark today, does this mean that they are the worst team?

You also needs to take into account that Brazil is in a period of transition, they are introducing a lot of young players to the national team. Of course you can argue that Germany is better, I don't necessary agree, but I am a little biased here.

But Brazil and Argentina are getting worse? I don't think so. Argentina is becoming more of threat now that Messi is playing well for them, and now that they got rid of Maradona (don't get me wrong but I don't think he is a good coach and that he was doing a good job there).
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
June 09 2012 21:50 GMT
#9633
On June 10 2012 06:20 sharkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2012 06:08 IntoTheWow wrote:
Is this the guy saying japan is a force to recon? Lol


Yes I am and do you know why? Because Japan is playing a style very similar to European teams.
All you South American supporters must have missed out the last 8 years of football because it's been that long since Brazil/Argentina have had any chance to win a tournament (with the exception of 2010 Dunga Brazil I guess).

Brazil/Argentina haven't realized yet that their times of fancy individual player style of football is outdated. Europe has been dominating football for the last years because they all play like a team. I could only laugh at the Ro8 in the WC2010 when everyone was like "OMG South America is dominating the world cup" because after the Ro4 only Uruguay, who is the closest of all South American teams to play European style, was remaining of the South American teams.

Football has evolved immensely this last decade and Europe is leading the front. Africa has long lost their chance to attack Europe/South America's dominance of football that now even Asia probably play better football than them.


Shows how much you know about south American teams. Almost all of Argentina `s squad comes from Europe, so they can play that style too. Its more of a coaching problem than anything, and that's a pretty known thing, showing how much you know about it.

Brazil is transitioning and is going to crush teams in wc, as locals. You forget Brazil how Brazil was out by an inch playing in Europe.

Even if Japan is coached by guardiola, playing Spanish style, they would lose to south American teams (or African for the mater) just by pure raw skill.

Also Uruguay doesn't play European style. If anything they play a bit like Italy, but even that is stretching it a fair bit.

Sorry for my grammar I'm typing from a cellphone.
Moderator<:3-/-<
sharkie
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Austria18761 Posts
June 09 2012 21:51 GMT
#9634
As I said 2010 Dunga Brazil was an exception to my earlier statement. Because Dunga played a very European style football (which everyone in Brazil hated him for). Dunga's Brazil were to me the clear favourite to me two years ago, but they just had bad luck in one halftime. And then he was fired for this loss because South Americans didn't like his style of play.

Also you might not believe it but since 1950 Brazil/Argentina had won every other World Cup. European teams dominating top3 twice in a row has never ever happened before.

So yes, I am quite confident in my statement that Europe is widening the gap between them and South America.

(Also I never wanted to say Asian football is better than South American, it is not. I only wanted to say that Asia is now superior to Africa.)
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
June 09 2012 21:53 GMT
#9635
On June 10 2012 06:36 Signet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2012 06:28 fabiano wrote:
Brazil still doesn't have a team figured out yet.

Were they giving younger players practice time for the Olympics today? Seems like the back 4 should be figured out, but Thiago Silva and Lucio didn't play.


Thiago was injuried, he couldn't play.

About who is better than who, we won't really know until the games that matter actually happen.

The only thing we know for sure is that Messi is the best player ever. If he is allowed to play as he wishes, he scores. Every single time.

Imo if Argentina can fix their defense, they are a very strong contender for the title.

Spain vs Argentina with great football from both sides would be a delight to watch.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Copymizer
Profile Joined November 2010
Denmark2108 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-09 21:54:32
June 09 2012 21:54 GMT
#9636
hoooly shit please tell me usa changed their mind about real football being boring after watching argentinas messi on american ground :D

Absolutely majestic goal, i honestly feel lucky to be able to experience messi playing football! hattrick and that goal, he is in another dimension hah
~~Yo man ! MBCGame HERO Fighting !! Holy check !
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-09 22:03:09
June 09 2012 22:01 GMT
#9637
On June 10 2012 06:51 sharkie wrote:
As I said 2010 Dunga Brazil was an exception to my earlier statement. Because Dunga played a very European style football (which everyone in Brazil hated him for). Dunga's Brazil were to me the clear favourite to me two years ago, but they just had bad luck in one halftime. And then he was fired for this loss because South Americans didn't like his style of play.

Also you might not believe it but since 1950 Brazil/Argentina had won every other World Cup. European teams dominating top3 twice in a row has never ever happened before.

So yes, I am quite confident in my statement that Europe is widening the gap between them and South America.



Yes thats true actually they did win every other world cup but they had periods where 1 or the other didnt win for an extended period thats probably how I shouldve phrased it my bad.

So 2 world cups go by without a South American team winning and that means the death of South American styles eh. Thats probably true atleast in the purist sense. But thats been true for a while now.

You cant have the Pele days where theyre dribbling past shit slow and square defenders (I think I said once even Stuart Downing would look world class in those games) but thats irrelevant. I dont even count those world cups as significant really because that was a shit game and a shit standard I dont care how awesome people think Pele is.


Look its really simple. Europe isnt widening any gaps. Its just alot harder to win tournaments because more teams are getting better. If you wan to call that widening the gap then sure Europe has more teams that can compete at a high level. The competition is more fierce this last decade and a half then ever before.



sharkie
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Austria18761 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-09 22:15:15
June 09 2012 22:14 GMT
#9638
I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Btw I am just curious to how you guys define European style and Uruguayan style of football. Since you seem to think it's different.
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
June 09 2012 22:24 GMT
#9639
How I perceive styles:

Uruguayan style is pure clutch, with some individual talent (Forlan) :s
European style (except Spain and this new Germany) is very defensive.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Rebs
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Pakistan10726 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-09 23:24:32
June 09 2012 23:23 GMT
#9640
On June 10 2012 07:14 sharkie wrote:
I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Btw I am just curious to how you guys define European style and Uruguayan style of football. Since you seem to think it's different.


Uruguay is very high octane energy deep defending they dont really pass it around or anything, hard tackling tough launch it to your best players at every chance.

They just happen to have a very good 3 which is rare in their history which makes it work much better.

Then you have the hard workers in Gargano, Perez, Rios and Perrera that basically just run around and tough tackle.

European football within itself has a myriad of styles so I was just taking the broad definition of focusing on mechanics and organization. Neither of which are particular fortes for even the current Uruguay team. They just have a very strong generation of players going that allows them to play the way they do and yet have some method to the madness. And they play in Europe so its somewhat inherent. The reason I dont call it European is because its not something they have adopted. They always played like this they were the tough tacklers before touch tackling was tough tackling. They sat deep before the Italians became famous for it. And then they have the flair to chuck the ball to when they need it. Infact they are infamous for it.

There is a large amounts of overlap in the modern game so saying X team plays a european style or a South American style isnt really even that accurate anymore.

Everyone wants to be defensively organized or be good at reading counter attacks and movement from forwards. Not everyone is good at it.
Prev 1 480 481 482 483 484 489 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1341
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 254
Rex 89
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 56767
Calm 3769
Shuttle 3384
Bisu 1491
FanTaSy 1429
firebathero 389
Stork 321
Mini 272
Zeus 261
Hyuk 257
[ Show more ]
Soma 245
Rush 240
EffOrt 225
actioN 173
Soulkey 166
Light 155
Last 145
ZerO 130
Snow 106
Dewaltoss 67
Sea.KH 66
Mong 65
Pusan 53
Killer 52
Barracks 52
PianO 44
hero 42
JYJ 41
Free 36
NotJumperer 36
Shinee 35
ToSsGirL 31
Bale 27
Shine 27
Yoon 27
Aegong 26
Hyun 26
Sharp 25
sorry 19
yabsab 19
Sacsri 15
HiyA 15
Noble 13
Icarus 3
Dota 2
Gorgc5882
Dendi654
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1346
kRYSTAL_229
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King104
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko387
Other Games
gofns36261
singsing2029
B2W.Neo759
crisheroes273
hiko217
DeMusliM208
byalli129
Livibee125
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV233
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 7
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
18m
OSC
9h 33m
Replay Cast
10h 18m
OSC
1d 10h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 21h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.