• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:59
CEST 21:59
KST 04:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7625 users

Quake Live! - Page 8

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 58 Next
fanta[Rn]
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Japan2465 Posts
October 10 2010 16:08 GMT
#141
Finals now: Rapha vs DaHang
watch here: http://tv.esl.eu/de/esltv_stream/stream/55-flv-free
Gnabgib
Profile Joined July 2009
United States381 Posts
October 11 2010 15:15 GMT
#142
On October 09 2010 03:35 Clamev wrote:
Show nested quote +
Get a good Config

That is going to come across really fucking newbie but what does that mean?


I've used this site to create my config file:

http://www.holysh1t.net/quake-live-config-generator/

Here's a few suggestions.

1: Force the enemy team model to Keel(bright). Its by far the most visible of the skins.
2: Turn off head bob and screen shakes when hit. These make it way too hard to aim mid battle, especially when you're in a LG (lightning gun) vs LG fight.
3: Turn simple items on, this is just my personal preference, but I don't play on the best computer and it seems to help my framerate.
4: Keep your commonly used weapons on very easily reachable hotkeys. I need to work on this myself, but you gotta be able to quickly switch to your Lightning Gun, Railgun and Rocket Launcher, (and shotgun if you play a lot of FFA, which I do)

Other tips when just starting out.

1: As tempting as it is grab the gun that's near your spawn and start looking for a fight, try to build your stack (armor and health) first. I've been watching a lot of the quake live casts, and I found that pretty much all the pros very rarely go into a fight with less than 100 Health and 100 Armor, and they're just worrying about one player. Its surprising how much that translates over into FFA.

2: Learn the art of running away. Every time you don't die is a time also means someone else doesn't score. I usually start trying to get out of a fight when I'm railable, (80 health, no armor). Start backpedaling and spam rockets and grenades in the direction where someone would chase you. Do it right, you'll get out and you can rebuild your stack, and you might get a easy frag out of it.

3: Learn timings. There's a kind of a whoosing sound that gets played when the major powerups, namely Quad Damage and Mega Health, spawn. Red Armor and Yellow Armor doesn't have audio cues, but they're important too! I do it mosly by feel, but you have a game clock in this game, so you could just glance up there and know the armors will be back up in 25 seconds, Mega Health in 35. And I think Quad Damage is 120.

That's all I can think of for now.
RuBiX-KuBiX
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany93 Posts
October 12 2010 05:05 GMT
#143
On October 12 2010 00:15 Gnabgib wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2010 03:35 Clamev wrote:
Get a good Config

That is going to come across really fucking newbie but what does that mean?


I've used this site to create my config file:

http://www.holysh1t.net/quake-live-config-generator/



That Generator used to be Fantastic but sadly it hasnt been updated since over a Year... Some Commands have been Changed or been added meanwhile.
So you might wont get the Correct Results and miss some Features using this...
Nerf Scissors! Rock is Fine... -Paper
Falco252
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
France197 Posts
October 15 2010 17:23 GMT
#144
Hey everyone !
I'm trying to use the Raz3r's training map, I downloaded the greasemonkey plugin, but it dosn't work.

Error: BuildCmdString not available.
Please tell vith


Thanks if someone can fix it !
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
October 15 2010 17:48 GMT
#145
On October 16 2010 02:23 Falco252 wrote:
Hey everyone !
I'm trying to use the Raz3r's training map, I downloaded the greasemonkey plugin, but it dosn't work.

Show nested quote +
Error: BuildCmdString not available.
Please tell vith


Thanks if someone can fix it !

Just launch it through console. Start a training course. Open console. Type in
"map raztrainQL_beta3" or whatever the exact name is.

And practice that crap, especially the lanes. Once you can pass lane 2, you're decent enough at strafe jumping to not be a hindrance in team games. After that any extra speed you can get is just bonus, because there are very few maps with long strafe runs where you can get >1000 ups anyways. If you can get to the first few pads in lane 5/6, you're as good as you need to be at strafing.
Falco252
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
France197 Posts
October 15 2010 18:29 GMT
#146
Ok thanks, this worked, downloaded it from fpsbanana.
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/download/91394
g-man83
Profile Joined November 2009
Ukraine6 Posts
October 15 2010 18:35 GMT
#147
Name: gman4ik
Region: Europe, mostly play on Frankfurt
Skill: average or slightly above, dunno
Gametype: FFA most of the time, tried Duel a few times
Cogito ergo sum
DorF
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Sweden961 Posts
October 15 2010 18:49 GMT
#148
I love to watch quake live and play it to some extent but I'm wondering if there is a TL-like community or something where I can keep track of tournys and such.
Help would be much appreciated ^^
BW for life !
g-man83
Profile Joined November 2009
Ukraine6 Posts
October 15 2010 18:55 GMT
#149
Name: gman4ik
Region: Europe, mostly play on Frankfurt
Skill: average or slightly above, dunno
Gametype: FFA most of the time, tried Duel a few times
Cogito ergo sum
Cofo
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1388 Posts
October 15 2010 19:01 GMT
#150
I don't really know anything about quake live (never watched/played in the past), but I got a chance to see some when I was in NY for the IEM championships. I must say, very entertaining to watch, even for someone who doesn't know much about it. I know there's a ton of stuff I wasn't getting, but by the end, I think I kind of had a decent idea of how the armors and mega and whatnot worked. Huge respect for the guys who are good at this game; it looks difficult as hell.
+ Show Spoiler +
hugman
Profile Joined June 2009
Sweden4644 Posts
October 15 2010 19:01 GMT
#151
Most of my time with Q3 was spend playing Defrag. I tried QL for a bit during the beta but the strafing physics feel slightly off. I'm a pretty decent strafer (can do white on cos1 pretty consistently) but I feel really slow in QL.

A question though: did they add rankings to instagib yet?
Grebliv
Profile Joined May 2006
Iceland800 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-15 19:06:00
October 15 2010 19:05 GMT
#152
On October 16 2010 03:49 DorF wrote:
I love to watch quake live and play it to some extent but I'm wondering if there is a TL-like community or something where I can keep track of tournys and such.
Help would be much appreciated ^^


http://www.esreality.com/
if anywhere I guess, it's like 65% trolling, 35% useful info.
ESV Mapmaking!
Obscure
Profile Joined July 2008
United States272 Posts
October 15 2010 19:05 GMT
#153
On October 16 2010 03:49 DorF wrote:
I love to watch quake live and play it to some extent but I'm wondering if there is a TL-like community or something where I can keep track of tournys and such.
Help would be much appreciated ^^

http://www.esreality.com/
"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
October 15 2010 19:38 GMT
#154
On October 16 2010 04:01 Cofo wrote:
I don't really know anything about quake live (never watched/played in the past), but I got a chance to see some when I was in NY for the IEM championships. I must say, very entertaining to watch, even for someone who doesn't know much about it. I know there's a ton of stuff I wasn't getting, but by the end, I think I kind of had a decent idea of how the armors and mega and whatnot worked. Huge respect for the guys who are good at this game; it looks difficult as hell.

It is difficult. It really has the biggest skill gap of any game I've ever played, including SC.
A pro will dominate even a very solid player so hard it isn't even fun to watch. And yet those same pros can get dominated by another pro. I've never played any game where one pro can so quickly skew a team game. I've played some ctf games with a bunch of decent players who play on teams that go to LANs and such, and some big name guy will join and just rape the entire server. Have a k/d ratio of like 20:1 with 5 flag caps and rock a 50% accuracy. Its just ridiculous. And loads of fun.
Cofo
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1388 Posts
October 17 2010 19:20 GMT
#155
I made a quake account on a whim last night and it's been a ton of fun so far. I seem to be getting most of it down (minus the deep strategy/timing/map stuff, of course), though I'm having some trouble learning to strafe jump. I assume it's something that just comes with time and practice, but any beginner tips?
+ Show Spoiler +
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-17 19:37:01
October 17 2010 19:35 GMT
#156
On October 18 2010 04:20 Cofo wrote:
I made a quake account on a whim last night and it's been a ton of fun so far. I seem to be getting most of it down (minus the deep strategy/timing/map stuff, of course), though I'm having some trouble learning to strafe jump. I assume it's something that just comes with time and practice, but any beginner tips?

First of all, it takes a lot of time.
But some tips.
Circle jumping is most important. If you start out slow it will take a while to be able to gain speed. There are plenty of youtube tuts.
Use mouse 2 for jump. It might take a little while to get used to, but trust me. Its almost impossible to get really good at strafe jumping using spacebar.
Basic strafing is just just angling your aim to the side while jumping and hitting forwards and the movement key corresponding with the direction you are facing. So if you're jumping forwards and you're angled to the right, you'll want to be holding down the forward button and right strafe button. If you stay on the same side, you'll start drifting to that side, so to jump straight you have to switch which side you're "aiming" at.
Gaining max possible speed and keeping control of everything takes a lot of time and practice.

Add me in QL if you need any help with anything, my name is the same as it is here.
Julmust
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Sweden4867 Posts
October 17 2010 23:59 GMT
#157
wow jump on mouse 2? well it's not like I'm using it right now, might try it out. also gives me more mobility with my left hand I guess.

also for the guy asking for tips on hotkeys for weapons, this is mine (I'm sure its not optimal but it works great for me):
q - lightning gun
e - rocket launcher
r - railgun
f - plasma gun
c - shotgun
rest is standard

keeps everything close and I dont need drop items or stuff like that since I dont play anything but duel
AdministratorI'm dancing in the moonlight
kodansha
Profile Joined May 2008
Hong Kong4 Posts
October 18 2010 00:12 GMT
#158
Name: kodansha
Region: US west (CA/WA/TX)
Skill: 94-100 CTF...low low low duel
Gametype: CTF, Duel(?)

can help with movement, can land ctf2 torch jumps, double rj@ctf7 (7.2s cap)
can host priv server if needed
UniversalSnip
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
9871 Posts
October 18 2010 01:21 GMT
#159
On October 16 2010 04:05 Grebliv wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2010 03:49 DorF wrote:
I love to watch quake live and play it to some extent but I'm wondering if there is a TL-like community or something where I can keep track of tournys and such.
Help would be much appreciated ^^


http://www.esreality.com/
if anywhere I guess, it's like 65% trolling, 35% useful info.


gotta say, that's a pretty generous ratio
"How fucking dare you defile the sanctity of DotA with your fucking casual plebian terminology? May the curse of Gaben and Volvo be upon you. le filthy casual."
Cofo
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1388 Posts
October 18 2010 04:54 GMT
#160
On October 18 2010 04:35 Sm3agol wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2010 04:20 Cofo wrote:
I made a quake account on a whim last night and it's been a ton of fun so far. I seem to be getting most of it down (minus the deep strategy/timing/map stuff, of course), though I'm having some trouble learning to strafe jump. I assume it's something that just comes with time and practice, but any beginner tips?

First of all, it takes a lot of time.
But some tips.
Circle jumping is most important. If you start out slow it will take a while to be able to gain speed. There are plenty of youtube tuts.
Use mouse 2 for jump. It might take a little while to get used to, but trust me. Its almost impossible to get really good at strafe jumping using spacebar.
Basic strafing is just just angling your aim to the side while jumping and hitting forwards and the movement key corresponding with the direction you are facing. So if you're jumping forwards and you're angled to the right, you'll want to be holding down the forward button and right strafe button. If you stay on the same side, you'll start drifting to that side, so to jump straight you have to switch which side you're "aiming" at.
Gaining max possible speed and keeping control of everything takes a lot of time and practice.

Add me in QL if you need any help with anything, my name is the same as it is here.


Thanks a lot for the tips, using mouse 2 actually helps a ton. I'm getting there now, slowly but surely
+ Show Spoiler +
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM971
TaKeTV 338
TKL 291
IndyStarCraft 182
ZombieGrub101
BRAT_OK 89
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 971
TKL 291
IndyStarCraft 182
MaxPax 166
ZombieGrub101
BRAT_OK 89
JuggernautJason57
Nathanias 42
EmSc Tv 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 569
White-Ra 146
firebathero 79
Barracks 75
Shine 45
910 44
Killer 27
Trap 21
yabsab 8
Counter-Strike
Fnx 773
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0192
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9157
crisheroes1814
Liquid`Hasu1746
Trikslyr80
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi5339
summit1g5105
singsing1318
Beastyqt846
shahzam447
B2W.Neo316
KnowMe130
ArmadaUGS96
UpATreeSC59
Pyrionflax55
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream404
Other Games
BasetradeTV187
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 13
EmSc2Tv 13
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 192
• Reevou 5
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 22
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• FirePhoenix10
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV141
League of Legends
• TFBlade999
Other Games
• imaqtpie653
• Shiphtur324
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 1m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.