• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:08
CEST 08:08
KST 15:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6805 users

Share Your Thoughts on Determining Skill - Page 2

Forum Index > Featured Threads
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
KizZBG
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
u gotta skate8152 Posts
March 07 2007 22:16 GMT
#21
On March 08 2007 07:08 Locke. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2007 00:01 Last Romantic wrote:
In the old days, skill and good looks were direcly proportional. Good looking gamers like Reach and YellOw and BoxeR did well.

Then, at some point [circa 2004] the opposite became true. Skill and good looks became INVERSELY proportional. Now we have ugly people like sAviOr and iris dominating.

T-T I liked the old method of measuring skill better.


sAviOr is not ugly...


Agreed.

[image loading]
eSTRO for life | #2 Sea.Really fan! | #1 GosI[Flying] fan! | Clide - best SC2 terran!
tomatriedes
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
New Zealand5356 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-03-07 23:03:21
March 07 2007 23:01 GMT
#22
On March 08 2007 07:08 Locke. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2007 00:01 Last Romantic wrote:
In the old days, skill and good looks were direcly proportional. Good looking gamers like Reach and YellOw and BoxeR did well.

Then, at some point [circa 2004] the opposite became true. Skill and good looks became INVERSELY proportional. Now we have ugly people like sAviOr and iris dominating.

T-T I liked the old method of measuring skill better.


sAviOr is not ugly...


True and I don't think boxer's all-that either.
LastlinG
Profile Joined August 2006
Poland26 Posts
March 07 2007 23:13 GMT
#23
lol KizZBG
...make sure you have expert timing -_-y
niteReloaded
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Croatia5282 Posts
March 08 2007 02:14 GMT
#24
thats what i call photoshoping ^,^
SainT
Profile Joined February 2005
Chile1067 Posts
March 08 2007 02:46 GMT
#25
[image loading]


A normal sAviOr
Well i'm a lucky man...
ilovezil
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4143 Posts
March 08 2007 03:02 GMT
#26
!!! I'm exposed, but yea good discussions.

TL's got a fair share of intelligent minds, it seems.
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
March 08 2007 08:30 GMT
#27
Everyone has their own way of judging skill. I like to look at a players thought process going into games.. How they open, how they plan to segue from the opening into the late game, etc. But that's probably because BW to me is a thinking game, the player's mind is his biggest weapon and not his hand speed. But there are people who look at the other side of the coin, BW is all in the technicality. You learn the basics strategically and that is all you need to know, everything else is all about being a powerhouse in terms of your macro and control ability. Both sides are somewhat viable though which is why BW is a cool game.

And many less experienced spectators tend to be just won over by seeing a player show a dominating performance or do something they haven't seen before. This I would call like "showmanship value" or something. Just the ability to impress a crowd.

And I'll use Boxer as an example of how I would judge skill somewhat objectively. To me Boxer is someone who I don't think ever won a TvP or TvT final and the classic Coca-Cola OSL vs Yellow that he won was on what I would go as far as saying are the most imbalanced maps ever used and if they had been used at this point in time half of them would be unplayable for Yellow with the other 2 being in Boxer's favor. His style was always based on creative and smart openings but he never showed the best skill in terms of long games or being able to effectively come up with strategies that could still be playable if they didn't work out for him in the early game. But he has amazing control and a lot of luck early on his career, you could say he really was a step above in terms of coming up with those special strategies or using Terran abilities to abuse maps. But for every top player ive seen Boxer dominate he has lost poorly to some no name P or Z in a qualifier or showmatch somewhere.. And although in the last couple years he changed up his style quite a bit to fit the new maps and managed to show great results I wouldn't feel comfortable saying he is the best player of all time. I'm left with conflicted feelings on him. If his career wasn't so long it would be easy to go "Oh well he is a really good Terran with a nice style in all match ups." He would be like UpMagic or something, a player who comes up with all-in or counter openings and gets on a roll using them. So im left unable to effectively rank Boxer because I don't even feel like BW is particularly suited for that type of analysis. Any of the top players could be near the top on a given day is how I feel about it.
Broom
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-03-09 09:08:32
March 08 2007 10:55 GMT
#28
First, a question like which player is better is like asking who's penis is longer question, except that it cannot be measured by simply measuring. Its a question that invites comments, and rightly so. This is because we realize that worth or skill does not necessarily match up with who is currently winning the most or who at the top of kespa. We want some kind of answer that contacts to skill closer then that. Something that has to do with playing the game in a particular way.

I tend to think of the most skilled player as the one that plays the closest to the optimal. It is as simple as that. Well...almost, continue reading.

Regarding optimal play, the problem is that optimal play overall depends on what your opponent is doing, and you don't always know what your opponent is doing. So its not always clear cut that one player is playing better then another player in a particular case. Instead we must make do with the notion that they are playing the way that is likely to work best based on how the game works, what their think their opponent will do, etc. Some of this information and judgment may be wrong of course.

Like I typed above, its not quite that simple. Consider exceptions. As red.venom pointed out some the the craziest creative players, e.g., boxer, nal_ra, also can come out as the most foolish at times. Does this mean they have less skill? I would say it does not quite indicate that, but rather that they are willing to try new things and take risks. It depends on their reasoning why they thing something whether it works for their worth or against it.

In ethics there are few largely agreed upon axioms, but one of these is that one is not responsible if they could not have done otherwise. I suggest something similar for bw. If a player makes a good decision based on all available reasoning but it does not work out due to risky play by another (for instance), this should not count against their worth. These are basically situations in which the other player lucks out.

Of course, in the end, its pretty much impossible to realize when this criteria of playing optimally is met. We can only give reasons toward this end and come to an approximation. I suspect this question of who is better then who meets the same fate as the question of pvz imbalance. People are seeking generality where only particularity is truly appropriate for adequately explaining reality.

In some situation joe nobody may play better then reach, but reach will tend to play better overall. Now, I think, I have finally some to an agreeable general principle for myself about skill which is rooted in reality. The most skillful player is the one that tends to know how to play better then the others, and actually does if they wanted to. This qualifier "tends" allows one to go from the particular to the general without problem. This would also be the player who would perform best overall on all potential situations.

Note that I have ignored the question of nerves. Too bad for them, but it reduces how well they play, and thus has an effect on skill. I have also ignored the question of talent or practice. Again, too bad. If you want to get into the even more difficult project of judging skill relatively be my guest.

Edit- oh and I've also ignored how to determine a players worth, which was the main question I suppose. Haji covered some things. Having a good understanding of the game or particular situation and watching a lot of games of player(s) are some of the most important. If its not clear from my post however, I don't bother witch such an endeavor. Such a thing is either indicated quickly or comes to mind after much experience...or it doesn't, in which case I don't have adequate reasons to back up such a judgment.
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
Born)Slippy
Profile Joined October 2002
Norway1904 Posts
March 08 2007 15:22 GMT
#29
Great thread. I think that on a top level, psychology plays an enormous role (as demonstrated by Savior). Given that the 'skill level' is at least in the same neighborhood for a group of people, it boils down to luck, excellent decision making or psychology - and more likely a combination of the three.

Consider, if you have ever played CS. You're in a clutch situation with red HP, two opponents, and you gotta storm a bomb site with the bomb just planted. In my heyday I was pretty damn good at the game and on the servers I was playing on I would invade that bomb site with confidence and my chances of survival would increase tenfold (to 50% maybe, where most players would simply die trying). Playing against unknown opponents you believe are better than you, or having people watching for whom I felt I had something to prove, would make everything different - causing that little spasm in your hand that makes you miss the all-important headshot. Psychology.

Savior vs Nada. Psychology. Bisu vs Savior. Psychology. All in the same skill neighborhood. One had to win. Boxer vs Yellow in a certain bunker rush series - psychology deluxe. As has been pointed out, it very often boils down to a mind game therefore rendering objective skill judgements useless in most cases. I think we can safely assume that most of the upper echelon of BW progaming are very close in pretty much any BW-related skill - so close that the amateur player would have problems spotting the individual differences. While in some specific cases you would have a relatively wide difference (such as Boxer vs Zergman), in most it's about unquantifiable factors such as psychology, luck or excellent decision making.
Brutalisk
Profile Joined February 2007
794 Posts
March 08 2007 17:03 GMT
#30
There is no simple solution to tell that. A low-skilled player might rape a high-skilled player just because he did the best possible build and made the right decisions, and maybe had a bit of luck (e.g. scouting a drop).
Of course, if a player is so bad that you can see it literally, e.g. because he builds the wrong stuff all the time, or because he has *horrible* macro or micro, then it's easy to tell. But, on a scale from newbie<intermediate<average<good<gosu, there is a certain threshold, I think somewhere in the "good" region, where you can't really tell anymore how skilled a player is. Then, you have to rely on statistics. The Korean pros sometimes lose in practice games vs. much lesser known/successful players, yet they have the better overall stats and better determination and most often reach their goals, where the others do not.
The higher the skill level, the more psychology matters, or form. But this doesn't mean that they are all truly 100% alike skill-wise. You just can't tell it for certain, and I bet even they can't tell it fo sure. So it comes down to personal preference, which style you like the most. But if you try to be objective, you can only rely on statistics to tell who is currently better than the other, although this may change in the future. We've seen many old stars fall (like Boxer or Reach). Did they "lose" their skill? Surely not. They even should have *better* chances because they have much more experience. If you ask me, they just "burned out", they know they have reached much so their will power isn't as strong as the new players' who really want to win something no matter what. It's all determination, and the same might happen to the current stars like Savior.
Born)Slippy
Profile Joined October 2002
Norway1904 Posts
March 09 2007 00:45 GMT
#31
I agree that they're not 100% equal skill-wise and I think I tried to make a point of that in my post. Motivation, as you correctly point out, is also very important.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-03-09 04:18:30
March 09 2007 04:17 GMT
#32
On March 08 2007 07:08 Locke. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2007 00:01 Last Romantic wrote:
In the old days, skill and good looks were direcly proportional. Good looking gamers like Reach and YellOw and BoxeR did well.

Then, at some point [circa 2004] the opposite became true. Skill and good looks became INVERSELY proportional. Now we have ugly people like sAviOr and iris dominating.

T-T I liked the old method of measuring skill better.


sAviOr is not ugly...


Wtf are you talking about ? all the progamers look like nerdy homos. either that or they just look averagely plain looking.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-03-09 08:06:43
March 09 2007 06:16 GMT
#33
Since nony and dj were talking about the Bisu vs. Nal_Ra games, I became interested, and took a look. This post also serves to help demonstrate what I mean by judging optimal play. So, I looked in depth at game2 @ reverse temple. Harder to judge from vod, but fastest 1tick = 1sec, so easy enough.

Bisu attacked at 7:50 with 12g/1rs/1z. Ra had 9g/1r/2z at this point. Now, attacking at 7:50 with 12g/1rs/1z is pretty good. I know bisu has a damn efficient build that he probably planned out carefully. My b.o. for a good 1gate zcorez robo range build has 10g/1rs/2z at 7:30min on 8patch main map, thats before travel distance.

There were a number of micro/control mistakes Ra made. One goon was roaming around in his base when he was attacked. His zeals were behind his goons and did not do much good. Killed shuttle which did no good. Etc.

But, what I'm more concerned with is his build. So, I ran a practice example of a zcorez 6:00 expo build myself on 8patch normal lt (Ra expoed at around 5:50). At 7:50 I had 11g/1r/5z, with the latest two goons popping out 5sec before. The difference in unit numbers is due to build efficiency. Ra went for range and robo off of one gate, while I went for them them after two (which would have worked perfectly fine this game). Also, he went for a battery, which I typically would not suggest. Probably did some other things as well, but thats the best I can point out without the replay. The point is that this shows me Ra is farther from the optimal than bisu is in micro as well as build.

DJ typed, "Bisu happened to pick better builds" as If he did not have solid reasons behind the build. He also types, "You can argue that those choices are a form of skill, but that's a pretty hollow argument when neither player was able to conclusively scout the other." I don't quite agree with that. Using his terms, bisu picked a better build. If this is based on good reasons, then it did not just happen, then I would consider it as a skillful choice. Which I'm rather sure it was, being familiar with bisu's play having watched over 50 of his games. And thus, lastly, "Bisu just had a good day." I would disagree with the fact that Bisu just had a good day, as if he did not earn it.

So, Nony is correct in that in that Ra did not play well enough to give his build orders the credit they deserve because of those micro mistakes. I'll go one further saying that he also did not give the kind of build he went for the credit it deserves either, due to build efficiency reasons I have pointed out in this post. Not so difficult, and I think dj would agree at this point.
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
miniStar
Profile Joined June 2004
Finland143 Posts
March 09 2007 07:10 GMT
#34
On March 08 2007 19:55 Knickknack wrote:
I tend to think of the most skilled player as the one that plays the closest the the optimal. Its as simple as that.


I have a similar theory about optimal play in SC. Offcouse we cant define that kind of play to a complex rts game, so I borrowed ideas from 2-player board games regarding optimal strategies and winners. I was thinking about PvZ matchup/imbalance (if there is one) and came up with the idea that tosses lose too much because they play less optimal.
StarCraft est magistra vitae
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 128
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1881
Shuttle 960
ggaemo 172
Dewaltoss 86
Hm[arnc] 49
910 44
Bale 25
Noble 23
Mong 18
soO 18
[ Show more ]
ZergMaN 15
yabsab 13
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm192
League of Legends
JimRising 604
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1155
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor853
Other Games
summit1g8150
C9.Mang0321
PiGStarcraft280
Mew2King128
ViBE48
ArmadaUGS46
Happy35
trigger18
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream111
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 35
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2319
League of Legends
• Rush1167
• Lourlo1133
• Stunt419
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
6h 52m
OSC
15h 52m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 3h
Online Event
1d 4h
FEL
1d 9h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 10h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 12h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.