• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:40
CEST 13:40
KST 20:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8717 users

Anime Discussion Thread - Page 6198

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6196 6197 6198 6199 6200 6486 Next
If you come in here looking for "anime recommendations" then please refer to this chart before posting: Anime Recommendations (as of may 2014). We also have an IRC channel called #tladt where we all hang out. The channel is on Rizon, not QuakeNet! Feel free to check it out. TLADT discord is Discord.gg

For currently airing anime, please see Anichart.net
Jek
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark2771 Posts
December 25 2017 11:43 GMT
#123941
On December 25 2017 04:14 Spazer wrote:
Reminder that A Dancing Very Merry Christmas has Christmas in the title.

Tokyo Godfathers > Toradora

Now I'm triggered.
It's Elo not ELO - Every statiscian playing League
felisconcolori
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States6169 Posts
December 25 2017 22:05 GMT
#123942
Taiga will crush you.
Yes, I email sponsors... to thank them. Don't post drunk, kids. My king, what has become of you?
Spazer
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada8036 Posts
December 25 2017 22:23 GMT
#123943
Tokyo Godfathers was more cathartic than the Toradora Christmas episodes will ever be and you know it~

On December 25 2017 10:25 Miragee wrote:
I have finished Houseki no Kuni just now and it's what I expected: The "ending" is not really satisfying and it breaks up in the middle of everything. It even ends on a cliffhanger. How blatant of an manga advertisement is that? I really enjoyed the show, especially from ep4 onwards. It had an unique setting, good character development for the main, kept bringing up interesting hooks and also delivered on the animation side of things, which is a definitely something new when talking about the cgi anime I generally despise.
Despite all this I can't bring myself to give this show more than a 7/10. It has a lot of potential and I hope they do a sequel at some point. But this 1 cour on its own leaves a little too much to be desired, story-wise.

The abrupt end was more or less expected. It's the reality of adaptations (and why we tend to shit on them so much).

I think they did a decent job with the last episode, all things considered. + Show Spoiler +
It was a good reflection of how Phos has changed throughout the show both physically and mentally. She basically fulfilled the goals she set at the very start of the series: she found a job for Cinnabar, found a purpose for herself, and got strong enough to fight. However, the purpose makes her question her own beliefs, and she literally sacrifices her personality to gain power.

So was it worth it? Probably not. But that's kind of the point.

There's probably some Buddhist themes I'm missing too due to lack of knowledge.
They had limited space to work with here, and there's certainly cliffhangers galore, but at least it's not objectively terrible shit like the ending to Oregairu s2.
Liquipedia
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8708 Posts
December 25 2017 22:44 GMT
#123944
On December 26 2017 07:23 Spazer wrote:
Tokyo Godfathers was more cathartic than the Toradora Christmas episodes will ever be and you know it~

Show nested quote +
On December 25 2017 10:25 Miragee wrote:
I have finished Houseki no Kuni just now and it's what I expected: The "ending" is not really satisfying and it breaks up in the middle of everything. It even ends on a cliffhanger. How blatant of an manga advertisement is that? I really enjoyed the show, especially from ep4 onwards. It had an unique setting, good character development for the main, kept bringing up interesting hooks and also delivered on the animation side of things, which is a definitely something new when talking about the cgi anime I generally despise.
Despite all this I can't bring myself to give this show more than a 7/10. It has a lot of potential and I hope they do a sequel at some point. But this 1 cour on its own leaves a little too much to be desired, story-wise.

The abrupt end was more or less expected. It's the reality of adaptations (and why we tend to shit on them so much).

I think they did a decent job with the last episode, all things considered. + Show Spoiler +
It was a good reflection of how Phos has changed throughout the show both physically and mentally. She basically fulfilled the goals she set at the very start of the series: she found a job for Cinnabar, found a purpose for herself, and got strong enough to fight. However, the purpose makes her question her own beliefs, and she literally sacrifices her personality to gain power.

So was it worth it? Probably not. But that's kind of the point.

There's probably some Buddhist themes I'm missing too due to lack of knowledge.
They had limited space to work with here, and there's certainly cliffhangers galore, but at least it's not objectively terrible shit like the ending to Oregairu s2.


Yeah, I fully agree with everything you said. I didn't say it was bad, I mean I rated it with "good" even after everything I have said and that says a lot. It's just a shame because I think the execution was very good and the show itself had a lot of potential.
Emnjay808
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States10666 Posts
December 25 2017 22:46 GMT
#123945
Merry Christmas all!

Reminder that Amagami SS is the true Christmas anime to watch.
Skol
Jek
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark2771 Posts
December 26 2017 05:22 GMT
#123946
All you need for christmas is Gabriel DropOut episode 9. Who need feels when you can have lols.
It's Elo not ELO - Every statiscian playing League
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8708 Posts
December 26 2017 06:13 GMT
#123947
Stop recommending shit shows.
Spazer
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada8036 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-27 20:48:39
December 26 2017 07:56 GMT
#123948
It's that time of year again.

+ Show Spoiler [Categories] +
Best Anime for 2017

Best Thing That Nobody Watched of 2017

Most Surprising of 2017

Stockholm Syndrome Award for 2017

Best Anime Season of 2017

Worst Anime Season of 2017

Most Disappointing of 2017

Guilty Pleasure

'Elem Award' for Most Overrated Anime of 2017

Best Scene of 2017

Best OP of 2017

Best ED of 2017

Best Female Characters of 2017

Best Male Characters of 2017

Worst Male Characters of 2017

Worst Female Characters of 2017


Quote this post to get the bbcode. As per usual, add or skip categories if you want. I would strongly suggest adding a short sentence of rationale for at least some of your picks, because pure lists are boring.
Liquipedia
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8708 Posts
December 26 2017 08:22 GMT
#123949
Oh yeah. I will probably do it during the next few days. I still have to finish some shows but I don't think the remaining episodes will change anything for me.

I just finished Altair. Good show and I stand by my statement that it's the most underrated show of 2017. However, I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't focus more on politics etc. Shows with a pacifist main character like this almost always end in total war scenario with the pacifist being a brilliant commander. I would love to see a show someday where that pacifist would actually succeed and prevent a total war. Altair was at its best when it was doing politics anyways and the how the reveal of the war strategies was executed was really nothing to praise...It's a shame.
Slaughter
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States20255 Posts
December 26 2017 08:53 GMT
#123950
Oh already that time of year. Damn will have to think about it. Tho best ED will def go to Kekkai Sensen s2.
Never Knows Best.
abuse
Profile Joined April 2011
Latvia1946 Posts
December 26 2017 10:03 GMT
#123951
Watching rage of bahamut season 2.
Honestly, RoB has the best openings of any show ever,constistently, blows my mind how good they are.
Just saw the 2nd OP of RoB Virgin Soul, and it gave me goosebumps.

This show on a whole deserves much more praise than it is getting. I have had friends watch RoB S1 after my recommendation and not be impressed, but I just do not understand this. This franchise is just so epic, It's so refreshing to see a battle between man, angel and demon, and not have humanity suck ass.
I don't believe you.
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
December 26 2017 11:32 GMT
#123952
+ Show Spoiler [2017 stuff] +

Best Anime for 2017
Made in Abyss
Boku no Hero Academia S2

Best Thing That Nobody Watched of 2017
Garo: Vanishing Line

Most Surprising of 2017
Made in Abyss
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou

Stockholm Syndrome Award for 2017
Hajimete no Gal
Dies Irae
Koi to Uso

Best Anime Season of 2017
Fall

Worst Anime Season of 2017
Can't pick, the rest of the seasons are pretty even for me, and fall didn't even stand out that much by itself

Most Disappointing of 2017
Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation

Guilty Pleasure
Imouto sae Ireba Ii

'Elem Award' for Most Overrated Anime of 2017
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku

Best Scene of 2017
+ Show Spoiler [Made in Abyss] +
Arm removal

+ Show Spoiler [Boku no Hero Academia S2] +
Deku vs Todoroki

+ Show Spoiler [Garo: Vanishing line] +
Episode 8 as a whole


Best Female Characters of 2017
Nanachi
Kobayashi

Best Male Characters of 2017
All Might
Sword

Worst Male Characters of 2017
Sieg
Junichi Hashiba
Nejima Yukari

Worst Female Characters of 2017
Albus
Aki Adagaki

Best OP
LWA OP1
Made in Abyss
Garo: vanishing Line OP1

Best ED
Boku no Hero Academia ED2
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou

I didn't watch that much this year because of IRL being busy so my list will probably be very different once i get through my backlog of stuff i wanted to watch from 2017.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
Jek
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark2771 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-26 17:52:24
December 26 2017 17:42 GMT
#123953
On December 26 2017 16:56 Spazer wrote:
+ Show Spoiler [Categories] +
Best Anime for 2017
Koe no katachi
It wasn't available here until 2017, sue me. Great story with great MCs. Deals with a dark subject in a delicate and believable fashion I really didn't expect possible animated. Plus it has one of the cutest scenes of "2017". Even cuter if you go with Natsume Soseki teachings~
Gamers!
If Koe no Katachi doesn't count it would be Gamers! simply because it gave me so many laughs.

Best Thing That Nobody Watched of 2017
No idea.

Most Surprising of 2017
Gamers!
I really really really didn't expect it would be that hilarious.
Tsurezure Children
Like Gamers! way too much fun.

Stockholm Syndrome Award for 2017
Konohana Kitan
Stockholm syndrome doesn't have to mean a bad show. But Daily Lives of Cute Fox Girls was a show I had to watch as soon as possible each week, it was just such a nice warm show.

Best Anime Season of 2017
Worst Anime Season of 2017
No idea.

Most Disappointing of 2017
Konosuba season 2
I wasn't really disappointed but I sort of expected more from it.

Guilty Pleasure
I dropped the shows that I could have considered as guilty pleasures too fast to put on a list.

'Elem Award' for Most Overrated Anime of 2017
Konosuba season 2
It rode entirely off how good season 1 was.

Best Scene of 2017
+ Show Spoiler +



and all scenes with Uehara in Gamers! in general.

Best Female Characters of 2017
Kobayashi
She felt "human" in a show that very much wasn't. Without a character like Kobayashi the show would have been horrible.
Aguri
Sidecharacter with the most character growth in the entire show? It was pulled off it a subtle and believable fashion in a show otherwise going for extremes. Plus she ends up as best girl in the show.

Best Male Characters of 2017
Zouroku
Come on. Old badass florist even the yakuza respect? What's not to like. He certainly doesn't like crooked stuff.
Uehara
Side character carrying an otherwise fairly mediocre show. (Gamers!)

Worst Male Characters of 2017
Amano
Main character being carried by sidecharacter (Uehara)

Worst Female Characters of 2017
Of the shows I watched I cant really think of anyone that stands out in particular. Sakura in Konohana Kitan felt sort of unnecessary for the show.

Best Troll of 2017
The writer of Gamers!


I've had a lot of work this year so the list is dominated by light hearted shows you can watch without using a brain cell and still get in a good mood.
It's Elo not ELO - Every statiscian playing League
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
December 26 2017 18:02 GMT
#123954
On December 26 2017 15:13 Miragee wrote:
Stop recommending shit shows.

The OreImo ending happened during Christmas!
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8708 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-27 17:04:33
December 27 2017 06:36 GMT
#123955
Upfront: I think this was a great year. My mean score is almost 1,5 points higher than in the last two years. Sure, I didn't watch as much shitty shows this year but this was also because there were lots of good shows to keep me busy, so I would drop most mediocre and below shows instantly.

Best Anime for 2017

1. Uchouten Kazoku s2 (9/10) - Haven't had as much fun watching a weekly anime for a long time. I think the story was a lot more exciting than in s1 - for me at least. The rest of my enjoyment came from the brilliant execution, the quirky atmosphere and top animation. The soundtrack is on another level as it always puts me in such a good mood all on its own. Was looking forward to the new episode every week in a way that almost never happens for me when watching a show weekly.

2. Rakugo s2 (8/10) - Continued the same great execution and story telling from the previous season. For me the story was more enjoyable but that was probably because old Yakumo had so much screen time and I really like him as a character.

3. Made in Abyss (8/10) - Good execution and lovely world building, including animation, music and background design.

Best Thing That Nobody Watched of 2017

Houseki no Kuni (7/10) - Good anime with lots of potential for the story. The only problem with it was that it was too short and got cut in the middle of everything. I suppose 3 people besides me watched here as far as I'm aware.

Most Surprising of 2017

Little Witch Academia (7/10) - Did't think I would enjoy something like this anymore. I was wrong. I really enjoyed the whole 2-cour.

Stockholm Syndrome Award for 2017

Shingeki no Kyojin s2 - Yeah, it was mediocre as hell but I kept watching in hopes something would happen. Turns out it was 12 useless episodes with the announcement of another season at the end.

Best Anime Season of 2017

Probably Fall because it had the most shows for me to watch I guess? It's by a very thin margin though.

Worst Anime Season of 2017

None, all of them had good stuff!

Most Disappointing of 2017

Children of the Whales (3/10) - Had a great start and a awesome setting at hand. Ruined it because the author thought it would be better to focus on a shitty story and a big row of characters that were all garbage without any exception...

Guilty Pleasure

Kuzu no Honkai (6/10) - I don't think this needs any explanation.

'Elem Award' for Most Overrated Anime of 2017

Eh, dunno. Probably one of the Monogatari or Gintama seasons. They always get hyped up as fuck and I don't see the appeal.

Most Underrated Anime of 2017

Shoukoku no Altair (7/10) - Almost nobody watched it or gave it any attention. Really low rated on MAL, which I don't get. It's not amazing but it's a solid show that seems to tick the right boxes. At least more so than Arslan or Alderamin, which I would consider to have a similar concept.

Best Scene of 2017

I dislike this category but I think Uchouten Kazoku s2 takes the cake here. Too many good scenes. The whole end with Yasaburo and Kaisei was sooo good.

Best Female Characters of 2017

1. Kaisei (Uchouten Kazoku s2) - She finally got the screen time she deserves!
2. Phos (Houseki no Kuni) - Great character development.
3. Kino (Kino no Tabi) - Kino being Kino.

Best Male Characters of 2017

1. Yasaboru (Uchouten Kazoku s2) - He is just such a fun guy to watch. Can't get enough to be honest.
2. Yakumo (Rakugo s2) - Very well and consistently written character. Love him.
3. Can't pin point a third.

Worst Male Characters of 2017

Not really many terrible characters this year I remember, except for Children of the Whales so I'm just filling all the blanks with characters from that Anime...

1. Liontari - Most annoying fuck this year, congratulations.
2. Nibi - A nobody that tries to be important.
3. Chakuro - MC that fails to do anything noteworthy.

Worst Female Characters of 2017

1. Sami - Typical jealous and stupid character who loves the MC...
2. Ginshu - Typical "I want to be called nee-san" character...
3. Lykos - Incoherent "main", yay...

Best Anime I watched from my backlog in 2017

1. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (10/10) - Stunning movie all around. I don't throw around with 10/10s, this one really deserves it in my eyes. There is not one major point of critique I cut throw at it. Obviously some minor ones because nothing is flawless but this is just a magic composition.

2 and 3 are hard because I have watched many good movies and shows from my backlog this year but nothing really peaks out like Nausicaä. Well, here it goes:

2. Millennium Actress (8/10) - I still think Perfect Blue is by far Satoshi Kon's best work I have watched so far. This is movie was very good though. The best thing about Kon's movies is watching them with a friend and debating them afterwards. This movie offered a great basis for debate. Good stuff.

3. Grave of the Fireflies (8/10) - Another stunning Ghibli movie, this time very depressing. I thought the representation of war was done extra-ordinarily well. The constant alert really reminded me of a historic documentation or stories of WW2 from my grandparents.
abuse
Profile Joined April 2011
Latvia1946 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-27 08:44:45
December 27 2017 08:31 GMT
#123956
Haven't watched too much seasonal stuff this year, but here goes.
Still have a lot of shows I still want to watch, including Fall 2017 which I haven't even touched yet.

Best Anime for 2017
Rage of Bahamut - Virgin Soul - Honestly, I just loved everything about this show. The story, the plot twists, the soundtrack, the characters, ACTUALLY HAVING AN ENDING... everything's great.

Best Thing That Nobody Watched of 2017
Tsuki ga Kirei - really loved this show. Very refreshing to see a proper show about realistic relationships in such a young age of kids.

Most Surprising of 2017
Made in Abyss - I mean... I didn't expect it to be what it was.. It was great.

Best Anime Season of 2017
Summer 2017

Worst Anime Season of 2017
Winter 2017

Most Disappointing of 2017
LWA - couldn't get into it. Really wanted to. Couldn't.

Guilty Pleasure
Tsurezure Children and Kuzu no Honkai - enjoyable shows for very different reasons.
Quanzhi Gaoshou - extremely OP MC and story doesn't make sense at times, and the language was very funky compared to the JP I'm used to, but I did enjoy this show quite a bit.

'Elem Award' for Most Overrated Anime of 2017
Kobayashi maidragon - Probably going to get a lot of shit for it but meh.

Best Scene of 2017
+ Show Spoiler [Bahamut Virgin Soul] +
Kaisar death as a whole and Zombie Kaisar at the very end the show legit made me laugh out loud and was a great, great touch.

+ Show Spoiler [Made in Abyss] +
The entire Nanachi backstory was great. The two elevator scene in particular was.. wow.


Best Female Characters of 2017
Rita (Bahamut)
Yuki (Tsuredure Children)

Best Male Characters of 2017
Glenn (Akashic records)

Best unisex Character of 2017
Nanachi (Made in Abyss)

If monogatari counts then can pretty much add the entire cast of that into "best characters of 2017".


I don't believe you.
abuse
Profile Joined April 2011
Latvia1946 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-27 09:25:53
December 27 2017 09:24 GMT
#123957
by the way, new monogatari series announced for 2018 - Zokuowarimonogatari

+ Show Spoiler [PV] +



I don't believe you.
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-12-27 16:41:11
December 27 2017 16:00 GMT
#123958
Best Anime for 2017
Owarimonogatari
3-gatsu no Lion 2 (going out on a limb here. For me it belongs to 2017 because it started in 2017 but can't wait until it finishes...)
KonoSuba s2

with New Game!! (s2) and SaeKano Flat (s2) being close contenders and ultimately not making it due to a consideration of "best" vs "most enjoyable". The first 3 fit "best" better imo while the other 2 are kinda specific for me. Although I really do think they both improved massively over their season1 counterparts. But thinking about it there really was a lot of good stuff this year.
Also No Game No Life: Zero

Best Thing That Nobody Watched of 2017
Blend S

This show was so good if you're into that silly comedy kind of thing à la Working and noone besides Ferrose and me watched it. Less VoiceTrap (in comparison to working), or rather none at all, but the series itself was superior imo. Not sure I would want to see more of it but it was way more enjoyable than it had any right to be.

Most Surprising of 2017
Blend S
Demi-chan wa Kataritai

With Blend S I didn't even intend to watch it until Ferrose made me and while I wanted to watch Demi-chan wa Kataritai from the get-go I never thought I'd get this hooked.

Stockholm Syndrome Award for 2017
Masamune-kun no Revenge
It's the usual "just what is Stockholm Syndrome Award for you" question. This time I'm giving it to Masamune-kun no Revenge because it's one of those shows that I ended up watching up to... like ep7 and I don't even know why. I think THICC tennis girl legs from ep1 that never appeared again had a thing to do with that. But then you're too committed to drop it. And you didn't drop it at ep3-4 either. So you finish it until the end telling yourself "you know, it's not thaaaaat bad" in an attempt to justify away your waste of time.

Best Anime Season of 2017
Probably Winter: KonoSuba s2, Dragonmaid, Demi-chan, Gabriel Dropout, leftovers from 3gatsu s1, LWA+the nazi-girl anime. Shit was good

Worst Anime Season of 2017
that would have to be Spring for me but even Spring was decent

Most Disappointing of 2017
Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.
Now you may think "wtf Toad, everyone and their dog would have realized that that's a shit show just upon reading the synopsis. So how can that be disappointing?". Hear me out!
I thought so as well upon reading it but I was assured that the source is ACTUALLY decent multiple times and that it's funny and that I should give the anime a chance. So I did. And I was disappointed

Other than that, I dropped Mahoutsukai no Yome after 4 episodes since I was just expecting something else and the things they did (admittedly amazingly) I still got the feeling would be better off in the source. So I didn't bother continuing.

Guilty Pleasure
Eromanga Sensei

'Elem Award' for Most Overrated Anime of 2017
Koi to Uso
It wasn't thaaaat hyped but it wasn't small either. Everything else that was more hyped I felt like did something good in some way or another even if I couldn't personally appreciate it. This however was just bad.

Best Scene of 2017
Easy, spoilers ahead
+ Show Spoiler [Owarimonogatari] +


Everything about that scene was great. The scenery, the music, the cast, finally getting to see Ougi cry out in exasperation, seeing Araragi stand up for himself for once, once again the fucking music and just overall giving us a great finale to this arc.
Kinda sad that Kanna vs Tohru didn't get this one. That's 2nd place for me due it "simply" being KyoAni being KyoAni.

Best Opening of 2017
1) Owarimonogatari s2, OP1:


honestly no other standout OPs for me other than that that I can think of right now. Somethign between the Gabriel Droupout OP, Blend S OP and the Mahoutsukai no Yome OP perhaps.

Best Ending of 2017
1) Demi-chan wa Kataritai (super quiet in the link):

2) Dragonmaid:

3) Eromanga Sensei:


(the last has been running on repeat nonstop, more or less. Fuck Hitorigoto)

Best Female Characters of 2017
Ougi (Owarimonogatari) - No spoiler pls, just got Zoku Owarimonogatari for Christmas :3
Eriri (SaeKano Flat) - For someone who always goes on and on about Katou-god like me to come to a situation in which I don't even know if I like Eriri or Katou more... that's something!
Hikari (Demi-chan wa Kataritai) - Vamp was great

Best Male Characters of 2017
Takahashi Tetsuoy (Demi-chan MC teacher guy) - whatever his name was
all the Himouto Umaru bro-sidecharacters

Worst Male Characters of 2017
Smartphone guy

Worst Female Characters of 2017
Takasaki Misaki (Koi to Uso) - The Hanakana girl

Best Voice Acting 2017
No standout scenes for me this year like someone doing a Hayamin [even more for this category than everything else: I can't judge stuff I haven't seen. So maybe I'm missing out on some gems] but the best thing for me was
Amamiya Sora as Kanoya in Re:Creators. It was decent/good all time but especially in the last scenes she performed amazing and that scream in one of the last episodes when he attacks with his mech was just pure gold.
She also is part of TrySail who did the Eromanga-sensei ending which has been running on repeat for me since it's out. So that's getting in there as well.
There's also Mizuhashi Kaori with an overall really nice performance as Ougi in Owarmimonogatari imo and Hocchan as Wiz for KonoSuba2 when she snaps and goes after the slime guy.
Oh now that I think about it, Kayano Ai as shubi (No Game No Life: Zero) was flat out amazing. I'm not even a fan of her, I just watch her stuff because she's always with Matsuoka and the two together are hilarious but Shubi (however written in english) was great.


//WHERE ARE THE BEST OP AND BEST ED CATEGORIES IN YOUR TEMPLATE. BRB EDITING THEM IN
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Spazer
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada8036 Posts
December 27 2017 20:48 GMT
#123959
Blame Souma
Liquipedia
Sentenal
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States12398 Posts
December 27 2017 21:59 GMT
#123960
I think I'm down to have watched... 2? new anime this year. I'm probably forgetting some. Honestly I can't think of that many outside of Garo and Maid Dragon, so too much effort to put one of those two into every category lol
"Apparently, Sentenal is a paragon of friendship and tolerance. " - Ech0ne
Prev 1 6196 6197 6198 6199 6200 6486 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko355
ProTech124
SpeCial 114
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16268
firebathero 1937
Bisu 1274
Hyuk 660
Horang2 597
BeSt 310
Larva 237
Mini 231
EffOrt 190
Light 173
[ Show more ]
Soma 145
Leta 92
ZerO 92
Mong 82
Barracks 80
Rush 80
Snow 55
Pusan 52
Killer 47
Sea.KH 39
ToSsGirL 38
Sharp 34
zelot 32
NaDa 32
Shinee 32
Aegong 32
Mind 29
Yoon 24
Sexy 24
sorry 19
Bale 19
Sacsri 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 18
JulyZerg 11
Noble 9
Terrorterran 7
Dota 2
XaKoH 398
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss894
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1151
Khaldor1019
Other Games
gofns34622
singsing2084
olofmeister1170
B2W.Neo285
Livibee122
Mew2King84
ArmadaUGS50
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream236
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 4
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH143
• StrangeGG 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 20m
OSC
10h 20m
CranKy Ducklings
22h 20m
Online Event
23h 20m
FEL
1d 4h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 5h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 7h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 22h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.