• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:07
CEST 22:07
KST 05:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7278 users

Anime Discussion Thread - Page 6168

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6166 6167 6168 6169 6170 6486 Next
If you come in here looking for "anime recommendations" then please refer to this chart before posting: Anime Recommendations (as of may 2014). We also have an IRC channel called #tladt where we all hang out. The channel is on Rizon, not QuakeNet! Feel free to check it out. TLADT discord is Discord.gg

For currently airing anime, please see Anichart.net
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
November 02 2017 02:31 GMT
#123341
just started watching Mahoutsukai no Yome (finally) but I've got to say 1:30 seconds in and I'm already sold. That OP is pretty damn amazing
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8710 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-02 08:09:14
November 02 2017 03:16 GMT
#123342
On November 02 2017 03:24 Numy wrote:
Biggest disappointment in Soma was that BD didn't have nudity. What's the point even!@

A HxH update: I've got up to the infiltration part of the arc. So far there hasn't been much narration at all. The biggest thing I'm noticing is that you can't really call this Chimera arc a singular arc. It's more like 2-3 arcs put into one. That might be why the pacing feels off. It's because it's about 3 arcs with connected story. The lulls in story feel worse partly due to the fact that you feel like it's all part of one arc while in the previous ones you had this "reset" moment with clear shift into new arc. I'm not sure how you fix that really. Maybe just needed to adjust the structure a little to not feel as drawn out.

It's definitely interesting and what he explores in a shounen is pretty dam cool. Just can't help feel it's execution so far isn't quite as good as previous. Maybe that's due to it being pretty foreign territory for a shounen though.


+ Show Spoiler +
I honestly think the worst part of the chimera Arc is that it introduces so many trash enemies. HxH was always, and continued to be after the chimera arc, about less and more interesting fights. The chimera arc however had ton of longer fights (1-2 episodes) against annoying enemies with tons of trash talk (aka boring as fuck and the reason why I stop watching most battle shounen at some point).

The chimera arc has some really interesting stuff going on. I think the whole Meruem x Komugi part was insanely well done. Meruem vs Netero was pretty decent. The long infiltration fight on the stairs was really good. I think the narration worked well here and because it's usually not used in HxH and the fights are usually a lot different it was a nice change of pace. I enjoyed that a lot but I don't think it would work if every fight was like this. Gon's trauma was pretty good. Killua's fight against Youpi was good and so was the final reveal where his fear comes from. Pitou was awesome. The whole argument/philosophic stuff was really well handled (most shows do it wrong and end up being cringy/prententious).
On the other hand it also featured some of the worst stuff in HxH. The aforementioned amount of trash enemies and their fights. Gon's stupid power up, which made no sense at all. I still hope they will explain it later but still... one thing I always loved about HxH was that there were no sudden power ups and little power creep. HxH also explained most things beforehand so the series didn't end up having a whole bunch of ass pulls every other fight like other battle shounens. Gon's power up was a giant ass pull and I disliked it a lot.
It's a weird arc because it features some of the best and worst parts of HxH as a whole...

My favourite arc is still Yorknew City. Phantom Troupe antics, the tension and atmosphere, the dialouges, the twists, the characters... It's simply perfect. My second favourite is either the election arc or the chimera arc. The chimera arc has higher peaks but the election arc is just rock solid every single episode from start to finish.


//I caught up to Magus Bride. Pretty decent so far. I especially like how well they portray certain landmarks. That's 2/2 keepers this season already. Will catch up to Children of the Whales next.

//Children of the Whales ep1: ... They already created a really interesting world and setting. It's full of wonder, mysteries and some darker/gritty stuff as well. Awesome! Oh wait, they also put in cliche dialouges, silly anime humor and all that shit to make up for the good parts. It's understandable though. They can't just release a good anime. Anime have to mediocre so if you have a good idea you also have to balance it out somehow. Oh well, we'll see how this is going to continue but so far this anime would be better off without any characters at all... Ouni seems decent so. *fingerscrossed*
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
November 02 2017 16:06 GMT
#123343
Children of the whales is holy shit the hidden gem of the season

Must watch
itsjustatank
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Hong Kong9179 Posts
November 02 2017 23:26 GMT
#123344
Photographer"nosotros estamos backamos" - setsuko
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8710 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-03 05:57:52
November 03 2017 05:10 GMT
#123345
On November 03 2017 01:06 BrTarolg wrote:
Children of the whales is holy shit the hidden gem of the season

Must watch


I have caught to it and I think it's a keeper. This is a weird show. I really like the world but the characters and interactions are mostly terrible so far. That Onee-chan "character" for example. -.-' Well, I can say that about some other anime I loved as well though (SSY for example). We'll see how it's going to develop.

//So Shoujo Shuumtasu is another gritty moe show. Not sure I can handle this, lol.
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-03 09:52:00
November 03 2017 09:43 GMT
#123346
On November 02 2017 12:16 Miragee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2017 03:24 Numy wrote:
Biggest disappointment in Soma was that BD didn't have nudity. What's the point even!@

A HxH update: I've got up to the infiltration part of the arc. So far there hasn't been much narration at all. The biggest thing I'm noticing is that you can't really call this Chimera arc a singular arc. It's more like 2-3 arcs put into one. That might be why the pacing feels off. It's because it's about 3 arcs with connected story. The lulls in story feel worse partly due to the fact that you feel like it's all part of one arc while in the previous ones you had this "reset" moment with clear shift into new arc. I'm not sure how you fix that really. Maybe just needed to adjust the structure a little to not feel as drawn out.

It's definitely interesting and what he explores in a shounen is pretty dam cool. Just can't help feel it's execution so far isn't quite as good as previous. Maybe that's due to it being pretty foreign territory for a shounen though.


+ Show Spoiler +
I honestly think the worst part of the chimera Arc is that it introduces so many trash enemies. HxH was always, and continued to be after the chimera arc, about less and more interesting fights. The chimera arc however had ton of longer fights (1-2 episodes) against annoying enemies with tons of trash talk (aka boring as fuck and the reason why I stop watching most battle shounen at some point).

The chimera arc has some really interesting stuff going on. I think the whole Meruem x Komugi part was insanely well done. Meruem vs Netero was pretty decent. The long infiltration fight on the stairs was really good. I think the narration worked well here and because it's usually not used in HxH and the fights are usually a lot different it was a nice change of pace. I enjoyed that a lot but I don't think it would work if every fight was like this. Gon's trauma was pretty good. Killua's fight against Youpi was good and so was the final reveal where his fear comes from. Pitou was awesome. The whole argument/philosophic stuff was really well handled (most shows do it wrong and end up being cringy/prententious).
On the other hand it also featured some of the worst stuff in HxH. The aforementioned amount of trash enemies and their fights. Gon's stupid power up, which made no sense at all. I still hope they will explain it later but still... one thing I always loved about HxH was that there were no sudden power ups and little power creep. HxH also explained most things beforehand so the series didn't end up having a whole bunch of ass pulls every other fight like other battle shounens. Gon's power up was a giant ass pull and I disliked it a lot.
It's a weird arc because it features some of the best and worst parts of HxH as a whole...

My favourite arc is still Yorknew City. Phantom Troupe antics, the tension and atmosphere, the dialouges, the twists, the characters... It's simply perfect. My second favourite is either the election arc or the chimera arc. The chimera arc has higher peaks but the election arc is just rock solid every single episode from start to finish.


//I caught up to Magus Bride. Pretty decent so far. I especially like how well they portray certain landmarks. That's 2/2 keepers this season already. Will catch up to Children of the Whales next.

//Children of the Whales ep1: ... They already created a really interesting world and setting. It's full of wonder, mysteries and some darker/gritty stuff as well. Awesome! Oh wait, they also put in cliche dialouges, silly anime humor and all that shit to make up for the good parts. It's understandable though. They can't just release a good anime. Anime have to mediocre so if you have a good idea you also have to balance it out somehow. Oh well, we'll see how this is going to continue but so far this anime would be better off without any characters at all... Ouni seems decent so. *fingerscrossed*


+ Show Spoiler +
I have some more thoughts on that but for now I just want to say I realized something in the shower. Pitou and Meruem may be the most honourable individuals in the whole of HxH. In fact I'd say Pitou becomes the outright heroic character in the show.

In a way I wonder if Gon wasn't supposed to die in his encounter with Pitou. It would have been beautiful symmetrical story telling. Gon a "good heroic" character spiraling down the revenge path into a downright villian sacrificing everything to exact his plan. While you have Pitou this "monster villian" sacrificing everything to protect the love of her(I know Pitou has no gender but dammit she's a cutie) King. She wasn't protecting her own selfish idea of king like the other two but instead embracing him as he was and doing everything to protect that. True heroic loyalty. Much like Gon displayed to Killua when he went to his home. The two are so similar. Just sucks that Gon is the plot armour while pitou doesn't. Would have loved both to go on or both to die. I wonder if his editor changed his mind or he was never going to kill Gon. I guess the issue with killing Gon is we wouldn't have met Killua's adorable little sister!

Meruem at the end would have been a far better leader than 99% of leaders we have today. He grew so much. Do we condemn a lion that learns the value of life? Or do we condemn the human that knows the value of life but ignores it for their own selfish gain?


I understand why he needed a lot of ants though. He wanted this to feel like a new species invading earth or normality. In order to sell both of those he had to have both a lot of individual unique ants and a lot of fights with ants. Otherwise you wouldn't really get the sense that this was a threat on a "global" scale. Unfortunately it runs into the problems you mentioned. Maybe just needed to execute each individuals fight better. I'm not sure.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
November 03 2017 11:25 GMT
#123347
On November 03 2017 18:43 Numy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2017 12:16 Miragee wrote:
On November 02 2017 03:24 Numy wrote:
Biggest disappointment in Soma was that BD didn't have nudity. What's the point even!@

A HxH update: I've got up to the infiltration part of the arc. So far there hasn't been much narration at all. The biggest thing I'm noticing is that you can't really call this Chimera arc a singular arc. It's more like 2-3 arcs put into one. That might be why the pacing feels off. It's because it's about 3 arcs with connected story. The lulls in story feel worse partly due to the fact that you feel like it's all part of one arc while in the previous ones you had this "reset" moment with clear shift into new arc. I'm not sure how you fix that really. Maybe just needed to adjust the structure a little to not feel as drawn out.

It's definitely interesting and what he explores in a shounen is pretty dam cool. Just can't help feel it's execution so far isn't quite as good as previous. Maybe that's due to it being pretty foreign territory for a shounen though.


+ Show Spoiler +
I honestly think the worst part of the chimera Arc is that it introduces so many trash enemies. HxH was always, and continued to be after the chimera arc, about less and more interesting fights. The chimera arc however had ton of longer fights (1-2 episodes) against annoying enemies with tons of trash talk (aka boring as fuck and the reason why I stop watching most battle shounen at some point).

The chimera arc has some really interesting stuff going on. I think the whole Meruem x Komugi part was insanely well done. Meruem vs Netero was pretty decent. The long infiltration fight on the stairs was really good. I think the narration worked well here and because it's usually not used in HxH and the fights are usually a lot different it was a nice change of pace. I enjoyed that a lot but I don't think it would work if every fight was like this. Gon's trauma was pretty good. Killua's fight against Youpi was good and so was the final reveal where his fear comes from. Pitou was awesome. The whole argument/philosophic stuff was really well handled (most shows do it wrong and end up being cringy/prententious).
On the other hand it also featured some of the worst stuff in HxH. The aforementioned amount of trash enemies and their fights. Gon's stupid power up, which made no sense at all. I still hope they will explain it later but still... one thing I always loved about HxH was that there were no sudden power ups and little power creep. HxH also explained most things beforehand so the series didn't end up having a whole bunch of ass pulls every other fight like other battle shounens. Gon's power up was a giant ass pull and I disliked it a lot.
It's a weird arc because it features some of the best and worst parts of HxH as a whole...

My favourite arc is still Yorknew City. Phantom Troupe antics, the tension and atmosphere, the dialouges, the twists, the characters... It's simply perfect. My second favourite is either the election arc or the chimera arc. The chimera arc has higher peaks but the election arc is just rock solid every single episode from start to finish.


//I caught up to Magus Bride. Pretty decent so far. I especially like how well they portray certain landmarks. That's 2/2 keepers this season already. Will catch up to Children of the Whales next.

//Children of the Whales ep1: ... They already created a really interesting world and setting. It's full of wonder, mysteries and some darker/gritty stuff as well. Awesome! Oh wait, they also put in cliche dialouges, silly anime humor and all that shit to make up for the good parts. It's understandable though. They can't just release a good anime. Anime have to mediocre so if you have a good idea you also have to balance it out somehow. Oh well, we'll see how this is going to continue but so far this anime would be better off without any characters at all... Ouni seems decent so. *fingerscrossed*


+ Show Spoiler +
I have some more thoughts on that but for now I just want to say I realized something in the shower. Pitou and Meruem may be the most honourable individuals in the whole of HxH. In fact I'd say Pitou becomes the outright heroic character in the show.

In a way I wonder if Gon wasn't supposed to die in his encounter with Pitou. It would have been beautiful symmetrical story telling. Gon a "good heroic" character spiraling down the revenge path into a downright villian sacrificing everything to exact his plan. While you have Pitou this "monster villian" sacrificing everything to protect the love of her(I know Pitou has no gender but dammit she's a cutie) King. She wasn't protecting her own selfish idea of king like the other two but instead embracing him as he was and doing everything to protect that. True heroic loyalty. Much like Gon displayed to Killua when he went to his home. The two are so similar. Just sucks that Gon is the plot armour while pitou doesn't. Would have loved both to go on or both to die. I wonder if his editor changed his mind or he was never going to kill Gon. I guess the issue with killing Gon is we wouldn't have met Killua's adorable little sister!

Meruem at the end would have been a far better leader than 99% of leaders we have today. He grew so much. Do we condemn a lion that learns the value of life? Or do we condemn the human that knows the value of life but ignores it for their own selfish gain?


I understand why he needed a lot of ants though. He wanted this to feel like a new species invading earth or normality. In order to sell both of those he had to have both a lot of individual unique ants and a lot of fights with ants. Otherwise you wouldn't really get the sense that this was a threat on a "global" scale. Unfortunately it runs into the problems you mentioned. Maybe just needed to execute each individuals fight better. I'm not sure.

I think the chimera arc was one of the best arcs in HxH: + Show Spoiler +
You had a sense of tension and all of the characters were pretty cool. Pitou was great early on, loved her character and it was sad how they made her the sacrifice for Gon's rage and anger. Personally, if I was going to be critical, it was complete bs that Gon had such a massive increase in power off his rage. This isn't dbz, you don't suddenly ascend to the next level and become so powerful. I think the author realized that he wrote himself into a corner when he made the king's guards, including pitou so powerful and went that route. At least, it's a possibility that I'd like to entertain.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
November 03 2017 11:38 GMT
#123348
On November 03 2017 20:25 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2017 18:43 Numy wrote:
On November 02 2017 12:16 Miragee wrote:
On November 02 2017 03:24 Numy wrote:
Biggest disappointment in Soma was that BD didn't have nudity. What's the point even!@

A HxH update: I've got up to the infiltration part of the arc. So far there hasn't been much narration at all. The biggest thing I'm noticing is that you can't really call this Chimera arc a singular arc. It's more like 2-3 arcs put into one. That might be why the pacing feels off. It's because it's about 3 arcs with connected story. The lulls in story feel worse partly due to the fact that you feel like it's all part of one arc while in the previous ones you had this "reset" moment with clear shift into new arc. I'm not sure how you fix that really. Maybe just needed to adjust the structure a little to not feel as drawn out.

It's definitely interesting and what he explores in a shounen is pretty dam cool. Just can't help feel it's execution so far isn't quite as good as previous. Maybe that's due to it being pretty foreign territory for a shounen though.


+ Show Spoiler +
I honestly think the worst part of the chimera Arc is that it introduces so many trash enemies. HxH was always, and continued to be after the chimera arc, about less and more interesting fights. The chimera arc however had ton of longer fights (1-2 episodes) against annoying enemies with tons of trash talk (aka boring as fuck and the reason why I stop watching most battle shounen at some point).

The chimera arc has some really interesting stuff going on. I think the whole Meruem x Komugi part was insanely well done. Meruem vs Netero was pretty decent. The long infiltration fight on the stairs was really good. I think the narration worked well here and because it's usually not used in HxH and the fights are usually a lot different it was a nice change of pace. I enjoyed that a lot but I don't think it would work if every fight was like this. Gon's trauma was pretty good. Killua's fight against Youpi was good and so was the final reveal where his fear comes from. Pitou was awesome. The whole argument/philosophic stuff was really well handled (most shows do it wrong and end up being cringy/prententious).
On the other hand it also featured some of the worst stuff in HxH. The aforementioned amount of trash enemies and their fights. Gon's stupid power up, which made no sense at all. I still hope they will explain it later but still... one thing I always loved about HxH was that there were no sudden power ups and little power creep. HxH also explained most things beforehand so the series didn't end up having a whole bunch of ass pulls every other fight like other battle shounens. Gon's power up was a giant ass pull and I disliked it a lot.
It's a weird arc because it features some of the best and worst parts of HxH as a whole...

My favourite arc is still Yorknew City. Phantom Troupe antics, the tension and atmosphere, the dialouges, the twists, the characters... It's simply perfect. My second favourite is either the election arc or the chimera arc. The chimera arc has higher peaks but the election arc is just rock solid every single episode from start to finish.


//I caught up to Magus Bride. Pretty decent so far. I especially like how well they portray certain landmarks. That's 2/2 keepers this season already. Will catch up to Children of the Whales next.

//Children of the Whales ep1: ... They already created a really interesting world and setting. It's full of wonder, mysteries and some darker/gritty stuff as well. Awesome! Oh wait, they also put in cliche dialouges, silly anime humor and all that shit to make up for the good parts. It's understandable though. They can't just release a good anime. Anime have to mediocre so if you have a good idea you also have to balance it out somehow. Oh well, we'll see how this is going to continue but so far this anime would be better off without any characters at all... Ouni seems decent so. *fingerscrossed*


+ Show Spoiler +
I have some more thoughts on that but for now I just want to say I realized something in the shower. Pitou and Meruem may be the most honourable individuals in the whole of HxH. In fact I'd say Pitou becomes the outright heroic character in the show.

In a way I wonder if Gon wasn't supposed to die in his encounter with Pitou. It would have been beautiful symmetrical story telling. Gon a "good heroic" character spiraling down the revenge path into a downright villian sacrificing everything to exact his plan. While you have Pitou this "monster villian" sacrificing everything to protect the love of her(I know Pitou has no gender but dammit she's a cutie) King. She wasn't protecting her own selfish idea of king like the other two but instead embracing him as he was and doing everything to protect that. True heroic loyalty. Much like Gon displayed to Killua when he went to his home. The two are so similar. Just sucks that Gon is the plot armour while pitou doesn't. Would have loved both to go on or both to die. I wonder if his editor changed his mind or he was never going to kill Gon. I guess the issue with killing Gon is we wouldn't have met Killua's adorable little sister!

Meruem at the end would have been a far better leader than 99% of leaders we have today. He grew so much. Do we condemn a lion that learns the value of life? Or do we condemn the human that knows the value of life but ignores it for their own selfish gain?


I understand why he needed a lot of ants though. He wanted this to feel like a new species invading earth or normality. In order to sell both of those he had to have both a lot of individual unique ants and a lot of fights with ants. Otherwise you wouldn't really get the sense that this was a threat on a "global" scale. Unfortunately it runs into the problems you mentioned. Maybe just needed to execute each individuals fight better. I'm not sure.

I think the chimera arc was one of the best arcs in HxH: + Show Spoiler +
You had a sense of tension and all of the characters were pretty cool. Pitou was great early on, loved her character and it was sad how they made her the sacrifice for Gon's rage and anger. Personally, if I was going to be critical, it was complete bs that Gon had such a massive increase in power off his rage. This isn't dbz, you don't suddenly ascend to the next level and become so powerful. I think the author realized that he wrote himself into a corner when he made the king's guards, including pitou so powerful and went that route. At least, it's a possibility that I'd like to entertain.


+ Show Spoiler +
So you can sort of logics it if you really want to believe it's possible and not ass pull by working with the condition system we've seen before in people like Kurapika. Gain potential now on condition I die after it is done.
I'd be more OK with that kind of thing happening. Could imagine a nen user with potential as large as Gons figuring out a way to do something like that as from what we've seen the boon you get always comes with appropriate cost.

Pitou being in that position was perfect though. It showed off rise of Pitou and the fall of Gon. It's just how it ended was kind of shitty. I think the ants had to be so powerful to make sure the sacrifices the human characters made felt required. If it was just a group of hardcore humans it also makes powerlevel go a bit whack. Now he can just say ants were outliers kind of thing. I hear it leads into the next arc as well but no idea since I don't read the manga.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
November 03 2017 12:26 GMT
#123349
On November 03 2017 20:38 Numy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2017 20:25 BigFan wrote:
On November 03 2017 18:43 Numy wrote:
On November 02 2017 12:16 Miragee wrote:
On November 02 2017 03:24 Numy wrote:
Biggest disappointment in Soma was that BD didn't have nudity. What's the point even!@

A HxH update: I've got up to the infiltration part of the arc. So far there hasn't been much narration at all. The biggest thing I'm noticing is that you can't really call this Chimera arc a singular arc. It's more like 2-3 arcs put into one. That might be why the pacing feels off. It's because it's about 3 arcs with connected story. The lulls in story feel worse partly due to the fact that you feel like it's all part of one arc while in the previous ones you had this "reset" moment with clear shift into new arc. I'm not sure how you fix that really. Maybe just needed to adjust the structure a little to not feel as drawn out.

It's definitely interesting and what he explores in a shounen is pretty dam cool. Just can't help feel it's execution so far isn't quite as good as previous. Maybe that's due to it being pretty foreign territory for a shounen though.


+ Show Spoiler +
I honestly think the worst part of the chimera Arc is that it introduces so many trash enemies. HxH was always, and continued to be after the chimera arc, about less and more interesting fights. The chimera arc however had ton of longer fights (1-2 episodes) against annoying enemies with tons of trash talk (aka boring as fuck and the reason why I stop watching most battle shounen at some point).

The chimera arc has some really interesting stuff going on. I think the whole Meruem x Komugi part was insanely well done. Meruem vs Netero was pretty decent. The long infiltration fight on the stairs was really good. I think the narration worked well here and because it's usually not used in HxH and the fights are usually a lot different it was a nice change of pace. I enjoyed that a lot but I don't think it would work if every fight was like this. Gon's trauma was pretty good. Killua's fight against Youpi was good and so was the final reveal where his fear comes from. Pitou was awesome. The whole argument/philosophic stuff was really well handled (most shows do it wrong and end up being cringy/prententious).
On the other hand it also featured some of the worst stuff in HxH. The aforementioned amount of trash enemies and their fights. Gon's stupid power up, which made no sense at all. I still hope they will explain it later but still... one thing I always loved about HxH was that there were no sudden power ups and little power creep. HxH also explained most things beforehand so the series didn't end up having a whole bunch of ass pulls every other fight like other battle shounens. Gon's power up was a giant ass pull and I disliked it a lot.
It's a weird arc because it features some of the best and worst parts of HxH as a whole...

My favourite arc is still Yorknew City. Phantom Troupe antics, the tension and atmosphere, the dialouges, the twists, the characters... It's simply perfect. My second favourite is either the election arc or the chimera arc. The chimera arc has higher peaks but the election arc is just rock solid every single episode from start to finish.


//I caught up to Magus Bride. Pretty decent so far. I especially like how well they portray certain landmarks. That's 2/2 keepers this season already. Will catch up to Children of the Whales next.

//Children of the Whales ep1: ... They already created a really interesting world and setting. It's full of wonder, mysteries and some darker/gritty stuff as well. Awesome! Oh wait, they also put in cliche dialouges, silly anime humor and all that shit to make up for the good parts. It's understandable though. They can't just release a good anime. Anime have to mediocre so if you have a good idea you also have to balance it out somehow. Oh well, we'll see how this is going to continue but so far this anime would be better off without any characters at all... Ouni seems decent so. *fingerscrossed*


+ Show Spoiler +
I have some more thoughts on that but for now I just want to say I realized something in the shower. Pitou and Meruem may be the most honourable individuals in the whole of HxH. In fact I'd say Pitou becomes the outright heroic character in the show.

In a way I wonder if Gon wasn't supposed to die in his encounter with Pitou. It would have been beautiful symmetrical story telling. Gon a "good heroic" character spiraling down the revenge path into a downright villian sacrificing everything to exact his plan. While you have Pitou this "monster villian" sacrificing everything to protect the love of her(I know Pitou has no gender but dammit she's a cutie) King. She wasn't protecting her own selfish idea of king like the other two but instead embracing him as he was and doing everything to protect that. True heroic loyalty. Much like Gon displayed to Killua when he went to his home. The two are so similar. Just sucks that Gon is the plot armour while pitou doesn't. Would have loved both to go on or both to die. I wonder if his editor changed his mind or he was never going to kill Gon. I guess the issue with killing Gon is we wouldn't have met Killua's adorable little sister!

Meruem at the end would have been a far better leader than 99% of leaders we have today. He grew so much. Do we condemn a lion that learns the value of life? Or do we condemn the human that knows the value of life but ignores it for their own selfish gain?


I understand why he needed a lot of ants though. He wanted this to feel like a new species invading earth or normality. In order to sell both of those he had to have both a lot of individual unique ants and a lot of fights with ants. Otherwise you wouldn't really get the sense that this was a threat on a "global" scale. Unfortunately it runs into the problems you mentioned. Maybe just needed to execute each individuals fight better. I'm not sure.

I think the chimera arc was one of the best arcs in HxH: + Show Spoiler +
You had a sense of tension and all of the characters were pretty cool. Pitou was great early on, loved her character and it was sad how they made her the sacrifice for Gon's rage and anger. Personally, if I was going to be critical, it was complete bs that Gon had such a massive increase in power off his rage. This isn't dbz, you don't suddenly ascend to the next level and become so powerful. I think the author realized that he wrote himself into a corner when he made the king's guards, including pitou so powerful and went that route. At least, it's a possibility that I'd like to entertain.


+ Show Spoiler +
So you can sort of logics it if you really want to believe it's possible and not ass pull by working with the condition system we've seen before in people like Kurapika. Gain potential now on condition I die after it is done.
I'd be more OK with that kind of thing happening. Could imagine a nen user with potential as large as Gons figuring out a way to do something like that as from what we've seen the boon you get always comes with appropriate cost.

Pitou being in that position was perfect though. It showed off rise of Pitou and the fall of Gon. It's just how it ended was kind of shitty. I think the ants had to be so powerful to make sure the sacrifices the human characters made felt required. If it was just a group of hardcore humans it also makes powerlevel go a bit whack. Now he can just say ants were outliers kind of thing. I hear it leads into the next arc as well but no idea since I don't read the manga.

+ Show Spoiler +
Well, Kurapika's thing is a good point but keep in mind that it's something that's been discussed from the start. Aka, genetics, born with it (from recollection, been a while since I rewatched) etc... In this case, it felt like Gon ascended like mad to the next level. It was way too extreme imo and I'd rather HxH didn't make it so that any and all can do this.

Yes, you sacrifice something but restricting it to several folks is a much better option imo.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
November 03 2017 13:18 GMT
#123350
Look I'm not saying I liked what he did, merely I could have stomached it better with a few logic leaps if they followed symmetrical paths. It would have really closed off the whole arc well.
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-03 17:36:01
November 03 2017 17:35 GMT
#123351
Was checking out the yugioh being streamed at twitch and it reminded me how fucking amazing the dub was specifically for Kaiba's dub voice actor.
There's a lot of bad voice acting in the dub but Kaiba is the snarkiest and sassiest character to have ever been dubbed and it's honestly amazing.



You could've told me Kaiba's lines belonged in the abridged version and i would've believed you
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-03 20:13:52
November 03 2017 20:12 GMT
#123352
lol ANN:

[image loading]

remember how I said it was fairly boring when ragz asked a couple days ago (?) about yuri shows? I guess I should have watched a bit more of it?
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
November 03 2017 20:38 GMT
#123353
Can you give me a link to that? looks like a useful chart to use
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
November 03 2017 20:52 GMT
#123354
yeah sure: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-11-03/the-best-and-worst-of-the-season-so-far-week-of-oct-22-28/.123508
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8710 Posts
November 04 2017 02:08 GMT
#123355
lol @ the chart... I think the Balrog guy has been trolling for his past few posts.

Anyways, this season looks quite good tbh. I got:

Keep

- Kino no Tabi (one episode in and I don't think they will mess this up too much)
- Magus Bride (magics and landscapes o/)
- Children of the Whales (hook is good enough)
- 3-gatsu s2 (haven't started yet but I doubt it will be a whole lot worse than s1)

3 eps

- Shoujo Shuumatsu (just 1 ep in)

When I feel like it/Once it has finished

- Inuyashiki (sounds like there are lots of cliffhangers)
- Osumatsu s2 (don't feel like it atm)
- Kekkai Sensen (same...)

People were talking about the NEET anime, Houseki no Kuni and the new Garo. Are those legit?
felisconcolori
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States6169 Posts
November 04 2017 02:24 GMT
#123356
NEET is pretty legit, although there is one aspect that might stretch your credulity.
Yes, I email sponsors... to thank them. Don't post drunk, kids. My king, what has become of you?
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-04 02:31:58
November 04 2017 02:30 GMT
#123357
I just started the NEET anime earlier today and I'd say it is indeed legit. Nothing to write home about and the visuals & animation in particular seem subpar but it's strangly comfy and just feels about right so far.
Had me chuckle quite a lot as I went through ep1 and ep2 now.

It's one of those decent shows that you watch because you have the time but if you don't it's on the chopping block

Also, Lily + Show Spoiler +
Sakurai
is basicly Ferrose, so that's a plus.
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
November 04 2017 02:41 GMT
#123358
On November 04 2017 05:52 Toadesstern wrote:
yeah sure: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-11-03/the-best-and-worst-of-the-season-so-far-week-of-oct-22-28/.123508


>Blend-S #16

faith in Japan lost
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
November 04 2017 02:43 GMT
#123359
that's international viewers though
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
November 04 2017 02:45 GMT
#123360
On November 04 2017 11:43 Toadesstern wrote:
that's international viewers though


What the hell is wrong with you America?
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Prev 1 6166 6167 6168 6169 6170 6486 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 85
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15772
Calm 2212
Mini 156
Rush 104
EffOrt 93
Trap 21
Bale 17
scan(afreeca) 17
Dota 2
febbydoto12
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
fl0m5538
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King54
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4203
Liquid`Hasu634
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1836
Beastyqt716
RotterdaM574
B2W.Neo536
C9.Mang0290
shahzam284
crisheroes183
IndyStarCraft 181
QueenE102
Trikslyr94
UpATreeSC60
Dewaltoss58
ToD41
ZombieGrub40
JuggernautJason20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
Other Games
Algost 4
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 30
• Michael_bg 16
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade997
Other Games
• imaqtpie943
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 54m
INu's Battles
14h 54m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
16h 54m
OSC
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 2h
OSC
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.