• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:49
CEST 06:49
KST 13:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7770 users

General Discussion - Page 414

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 412 413 414 415 416 6534 Next
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2

Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads.
Kupon3ss
Profile Joined May 2008
時の回廊10066 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-19 10:31:49
April 19 2012 10:26 GMT
#8261
On April 19 2012 17:14 SirMilford wrote:
How exactly are you meant to build brewmaster?


The standard core would be something to the effect of phase, bottle, blink, jango, and aghs for luxury

keep in mind a few points

the standard procedure is to blink -> clap -> ult in a teamfight, for which drum is quite suited because the aura is provided while in ulti while nothing asides from aghs improves the combat capabilities of the ult.
once the ult ends u'll likely be in cleanup phase (u've won the fight), or runaway phase (u've lost the fight), and drums is pretty useful in both cases.
When in doubt, just believe in yourself and press buttons
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
April 19 2012 10:27 GMT
#8262
I just got access to the game today.
I've been waiting for ~5-6 months to get it lol.
And all is illuminated.
Tryhat
Profile Joined March 2012
160 Posts
April 19 2012 10:54 GMT
#8263
On April 19 2012 19:13 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 19:06 Tryhat wrote:
I never understood why people suggest drums instead of vanguard. They're nothing alike. Items that are better and cheaper than drums for survivability: Ogre club, PMS (likely), Vitality Booster, any Armor+Magic Res combo. Then there are things like Ultimate Orb, Sange, Heaven's Halberd, etc. Also, if you a buy a vit booster or ogre club or something like that you can upgrade it into an actual late game item, instead of just wasting a slot like you are with drums.

Okay if you like drums, but I don't understand how it in any way is a vanguard replacement. I've seen it suggested on ranged heroes instead of vanguard as well. Can someone explain?

You don't buy Drums for just generic survivability. You buy Drum's for early teamfighting power. Which is what many of those heroes want, and what many people bough pre-nerf Vanguard for (e.g. back when ranged Vanguard was still absurd). Janggo doesn't replace the exact functionality, but it fills the implicit purpose that many people often are accustomed to getting Vanguard for. The only other item in the game that gives a comparable mix of both self fighting stats AND team benefit at that stage of the game is Mekansm, and Mek is both mana-intensive to use, and is worthless in multiples.

In the case of Panda, you're not interested in a straight survivability item--so long as your ultimate is up, surviving a fight isn't your problem. What you want is a teamfighting item that advances your up-front fighting power, both inside your Ultimate and out, and that's what Janggo accomplishes.

If you want straight survivability items, you should obviously buy straight survivability items. Janggo gives one of the most well-rounded mix of self- and team- teamfighting stats for it's cost. Most of the ranged heroes that you see people suggest it on are semicarries that want that kind of teamfighting power at that stage of the game.


So you wouldn't recommend it if you're playing a hardcarry style then I presume. What about on Viper, QoP or someone like Razor? Vanguard still viable? Are drums (if you play them like the team's carry)?
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
April 19 2012 11:03 GMT
#8264
On April 19 2012 19:27 freelander wrote:
I just got access to the game today.
I've been waiting for ~5-6 months to get it lol.

Congratulations
Moderator
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
April 19 2012 11:08 GMT
#8265
Something I've not figured out yet but is important. If someone else leaves the game/dc's and it says 'this game is now safe to leave', does it add a win/loss to your record after that? I just had a game where one of the opponents dc'd at the very beginning, and 2 other teammates and 1 of mine left, leaving it as our 4 against their 2. I wanted to leave because it was a stupid game at that point but didn't want to risk getting a loss on my record for it.
Moderator
Dead9
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States4725 Posts
April 19 2012 11:12 GMT
#8266
yes you get a win/loss based on whoever's throne dies after a leaver
i think if you disconnect you get a loss regardless of what happens, and a disconnect if you were the first to leave
Tryhat
Profile Joined March 2012
160 Posts
April 19 2012 11:25 GMT
#8267
On April 19 2012 20:08 Firebolt145 wrote:
Something I've not figured out yet but is important. If someone else leaves the game/dc's and it says 'this game is now safe to leave', does it add a win/loss to your record after that? I just had a game where one of the opponents dc'd at the very beginning, and 2 other teammates and 1 of mine left, leaving it as our 4 against their 2. I wanted to leave because it was a stupid game at that point but didn't want to risk getting a loss on my record for it.


Since we talked about it last I've been very observant of what actually happens when someone disconnects. So far I've experienced this (100% sure):

* Opponent disconnects but my team still loses. Loss.
* Opponent disconnects but my team wins. No win.
* Teammate disconnects and my team loses. Loss.
* Teammate disconnects and my team wins. No wait that never happened.

This is actually true. Could be something about the time someone disconnects not making the game count.
Nilrem
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3684 Posts
April 19 2012 11:27 GMT
#8268
On April 19 2012 19:54 Tryhat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 19:13 TheYango wrote:
On April 19 2012 19:06 Tryhat wrote:
I never understood why people suggest drums instead of vanguard. They're nothing alike. Items that are better and cheaper than drums for survivability: Ogre club, PMS (likely), Vitality Booster, any Armor+Magic Res combo. Then there are things like Ultimate Orb, Sange, Heaven's Halberd, etc. Also, if you a buy a vit booster or ogre club or something like that you can upgrade it into an actual late game item, instead of just wasting a slot like you are with drums.

Okay if you like drums, but I don't understand how it in any way is a vanguard replacement. I've seen it suggested on ranged heroes instead of vanguard as well. Can someone explain?

You don't buy Drums for just generic survivability. You buy Drum's for early teamfighting power. Which is what many of those heroes want, and what many people bough pre-nerf Vanguard for (e.g. back when ranged Vanguard was still absurd). Janggo doesn't replace the exact functionality, but it fills the implicit purpose that many people often are accustomed to getting Vanguard for. The only other item in the game that gives a comparable mix of both self fighting stats AND team benefit at that stage of the game is Mekansm, and Mek is both mana-intensive to use, and is worthless in multiples.

In the case of Panda, you're not interested in a straight survivability item--so long as your ultimate is up, surviving a fight isn't your problem. What you want is a teamfighting item that advances your up-front fighting power, both inside your Ultimate and out, and that's what Janggo accomplishes.

If you want straight survivability items, you should obviously buy straight survivability items. Janggo gives one of the most well-rounded mix of self- and team- teamfighting stats for it's cost. Most of the ranged heroes that you see people suggest it on are semicarries that want that kind of teamfighting power at that stage of the game.


So you wouldn't recommend it if you're playing a hardcarry style then I presume. What about on Viper, QoP or someone like Razor? Vanguard still viable? Are drums (if you play them like the team's carry)?


Vanguards are technically viable, but not always needed. For example. QoP has nice escape abilities and should focus on getting her dps down, getting that scepter out. The Viper does not need the Vanguard since you usually want something like Manta which gets you a nice stat boost as well as survivability. You can also in theory go shadow blade to get your dps higher and be able to escape.

I myself go Vanguard for Razor but that is my personal choice. I do not remember how others have used Razor in the past. So I cannot recall if they had it or not. I do know that heroes I really go vanguard for would be Axe (well... he is axe after all hehe) and Anti-Mage. Since I want the survivability so I can farm up and well, completely (potentially own) later on.
Meepo Haters gonna Hate. https://twitter.com/KazeNilrem (@KazeNilrem)
Tryhat
Profile Joined March 2012
160 Posts
April 19 2012 11:43 GMT
#8269
On April 19 2012 20:27 Nilrem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 19:54 Tryhat wrote:
On April 19 2012 19:13 TheYango wrote:
On April 19 2012 19:06 Tryhat wrote:
I never understood why people suggest drums instead of vanguard. They're nothing alike. Items that are better and cheaper than drums for survivability: Ogre club, PMS (likely), Vitality Booster, any Armor+Magic Res combo. Then there are things like Ultimate Orb, Sange, Heaven's Halberd, etc. Also, if you a buy a vit booster or ogre club or something like that you can upgrade it into an actual late game item, instead of just wasting a slot like you are with drums.

Okay if you like drums, but I don't understand how it in any way is a vanguard replacement. I've seen it suggested on ranged heroes instead of vanguard as well. Can someone explain?

You don't buy Drums for just generic survivability. You buy Drum's for early teamfighting power. Which is what many of those heroes want, and what many people bough pre-nerf Vanguard for (e.g. back when ranged Vanguard was still absurd). Janggo doesn't replace the exact functionality, but it fills the implicit purpose that many people often are accustomed to getting Vanguard for. The only other item in the game that gives a comparable mix of both self fighting stats AND team benefit at that stage of the game is Mekansm, and Mek is both mana-intensive to use, and is worthless in multiples.

In the case of Panda, you're not interested in a straight survivability item--so long as your ultimate is up, surviving a fight isn't your problem. What you want is a teamfighting item that advances your up-front fighting power, both inside your Ultimate and out, and that's what Janggo accomplishes.

If you want straight survivability items, you should obviously buy straight survivability items. Janggo gives one of the most well-rounded mix of self- and team- teamfighting stats for it's cost. Most of the ranged heroes that you see people suggest it on are semicarries that want that kind of teamfighting power at that stage of the game.


So you wouldn't recommend it if you're playing a hardcarry style then I presume. What about on Viper, QoP or someone like Razor? Vanguard still viable? Are drums (if you play them like the team's carry)?


Vanguards are technically viable, but not always needed. For example. QoP has nice escape abilities and should focus on getting her dps down, getting that scepter out. The Viper does not need the Vanguard since you usually want something like Manta which gets you a nice stat boost as well as survivability. You can also in theory go shadow blade to get your dps higher and be able to escape.

I myself go Vanguard for Razor but that is my personal choice. I do not remember how others have used Razor in the past. So I cannot recall if they had it or not. I do know that heroes I really go vanguard for would be Axe (well... he is axe after all hehe) and Anti-Mage. Since I want the survivability so I can farm up and well, completely (potentially own) later on.


Any hero needs to be able to take a few hits to dish out their damage, including QoP which is why I kinda like Vanguard on her (and would like it even more if not for the ranged nerf). I notice you don't even mention Spectre, Dark Seer, Clockwerk, Doombringer, Alchemist, Riki and Batrider, all of which are excellent Vanguard carriers, which is why I will take your advice with a grain of salt.
taran
Profile Joined July 2010
Finland49 Posts
April 19 2012 11:51 GMT
#8270
On April 19 2012 20:43 Tryhat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 20:27 Nilrem wrote:
On April 19 2012 19:54 Tryhat wrote:
On April 19 2012 19:13 TheYango wrote:
On April 19 2012 19:06 Tryhat wrote:
I never understood why people suggest drums instead of vanguard. They're nothing alike. Items that are better and cheaper than drums for survivability: Ogre club, PMS (likely), Vitality Booster, any Armor+Magic Res combo. Then there are things like Ultimate Orb, Sange, Heaven's Halberd, etc. Also, if you a buy a vit booster or ogre club or something like that you can upgrade it into an actual late game item, instead of just wasting a slot like you are with drums.

Okay if you like drums, but I don't understand how it in any way is a vanguard replacement. I've seen it suggested on ranged heroes instead of vanguard as well. Can someone explain?

You don't buy Drums for just generic survivability. You buy Drum's for early teamfighting power. Which is what many of those heroes want, and what many people bough pre-nerf Vanguard for (e.g. back when ranged Vanguard was still absurd). Janggo doesn't replace the exact functionality, but it fills the implicit purpose that many people often are accustomed to getting Vanguard for. The only other item in the game that gives a comparable mix of both self fighting stats AND team benefit at that stage of the game is Mekansm, and Mek is both mana-intensive to use, and is worthless in multiples.

In the case of Panda, you're not interested in a straight survivability item--so long as your ultimate is up, surviving a fight isn't your problem. What you want is a teamfighting item that advances your up-front fighting power, both inside your Ultimate and out, and that's what Janggo accomplishes.

If you want straight survivability items, you should obviously buy straight survivability items. Janggo gives one of the most well-rounded mix of self- and team- teamfighting stats for it's cost. Most of the ranged heroes that you see people suggest it on are semicarries that want that kind of teamfighting power at that stage of the game.


So you wouldn't recommend it if you're playing a hardcarry style then I presume. What about on Viper, QoP or someone like Razor? Vanguard still viable? Are drums (if you play them like the team's carry)?


Vanguards are technically viable, but not always needed. For example. QoP has nice escape abilities and should focus on getting her dps down, getting that scepter out. The Viper does not need the Vanguard since you usually want something like Manta which gets you a nice stat boost as well as survivability. You can also in theory go shadow blade to get your dps higher and be able to escape.

I myself go Vanguard for Razor but that is my personal choice. I do not remember how others have used Razor in the past. So I cannot recall if they had it or not. I do know that heroes I really go vanguard for would be Axe (well... he is axe after all hehe) and Anti-Mage. Since I want the survivability so I can farm up and well, completely (potentially own) later on.


Any hero needs to be able to take a few hits to dish out their damage, including QoP which is why I kinda like Vanguard on her (and would like it even more if not for the ranged nerf). I notice you don't even mention Spectre, Dark Seer, Clockwerk, Doombringer, Alchemist, Riki and Batrider, all of which are excellent Vanguard carriers, which is why I will take your advice with a grain of salt.


Vanguard on QoP is a waste of money - space - and time.
Dead9
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States4725 Posts
April 19 2012 11:53 GMT
#8271
yea u'd be better off just getting a point booster

vanguard is for heroes that
1. need roh to stay in lane
2. need vit booster for more hp
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
April 19 2012 11:55 GMT
#8272
On April 19 2012 20:25 Tryhat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 20:08 Firebolt145 wrote:
Something I've not figured out yet but is important. If someone else leaves the game/dc's and it says 'this game is now safe to leave', does it add a win/loss to your record after that? I just had a game where one of the opponents dc'd at the very beginning, and 2 other teammates and 1 of mine left, leaving it as our 4 against their 2. I wanted to leave because it was a stupid game at that point but didn't want to risk getting a loss on my record for it.


Since we talked about it last I've been very observant of what actually happens when someone disconnects. So far I've experienced this (100% sure):

* Opponent disconnects but my team still loses. Loss.
* Opponent disconnects but my team wins. No win.
* Teammate disconnects and my team loses. Loss.
* Teammate disconnects and my team wins. No wait that never happened.

This is actually true. Could be something about the time someone disconnects not making the game count.

So...if an opponent dc's, I'm forced to play out the entire game to avoid a loss but for no benefit? That makes no sense.
Moderator
Doraemon
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Australia14949 Posts
April 19 2012 11:58 GMT
#8273
On April 19 2012 20:55 Firebolt145 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 20:25 Tryhat wrote:
On April 19 2012 20:08 Firebolt145 wrote:
Something I've not figured out yet but is important. If someone else leaves the game/dc's and it says 'this game is now safe to leave', does it add a win/loss to your record after that? I just had a game where one of the opponents dc'd at the very beginning, and 2 other teammates and 1 of mine left, leaving it as our 4 against their 2. I wanted to leave because it was a stupid game at that point but didn't want to risk getting a loss on my record for it.


Since we talked about it last I've been very observant of what actually happens when someone disconnects. So far I've experienced this (100% sure):

* Opponent disconnects but my team still loses. Loss.
* Opponent disconnects but my team wins. No win.
* Teammate disconnects and my team loses. Loss.
* Teammate disconnects and my team wins. No wait that never happened.

This is actually true. Could be something about the time someone disconnects not making the game count.

So...if an opponent dc's, I'm forced to play out the entire game to avoid a loss but for no benefit? That makes no sense.


you can force a loss?
Do yourself a favour and just STFU
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
April 19 2012 12:00 GMT
#8274
On April 19 2012 20:58 Doraemon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 20:55 Firebolt145 wrote:
On April 19 2012 20:25 Tryhat wrote:
On April 19 2012 20:08 Firebolt145 wrote:
Something I've not figured out yet but is important. If someone else leaves the game/dc's and it says 'this game is now safe to leave', does it add a win/loss to your record after that? I just had a game where one of the opponents dc'd at the very beginning, and 2 other teammates and 1 of mine left, leaving it as our 4 against their 2. I wanted to leave because it was a stupid game at that point but didn't want to risk getting a loss on my record for it.


Since we talked about it last I've been very observant of what actually happens when someone disconnects. So far I've experienced this (100% sure):

* Opponent disconnects but my team still loses. Loss.
* Opponent disconnects but my team wins. No win.
* Teammate disconnects and my team loses. Loss.
* Teammate disconnects and my team wins. No wait that never happened.

This is actually true. Could be something about the time someone disconnects not making the game count.

So...if an opponent dc's, I'm forced to play out the entire game to avoid a loss but for no benefit? That makes no sense.


you can force a loss?

Please clarify?
Moderator
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
April 19 2012 12:05 GMT
#8275
On April 19 2012 20:25 Tryhat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 20:08 Firebolt145 wrote:
Something I've not figured out yet but is important. If someone else leaves the game/dc's and it says 'this game is now safe to leave', does it add a win/loss to your record after that? I just had a game where one of the opponents dc'd at the very beginning, and 2 other teammates and 1 of mine left, leaving it as our 4 against their 2. I wanted to leave because it was a stupid game at that point but didn't want to risk getting a loss on my record for it.


Since we talked about it last I've been very observant of what actually happens when someone disconnects. So far I've experienced this (100% sure):

* Opponent disconnects but my team still loses. Loss.
* Opponent disconnects but my team wins. No win.
* Teammate disconnects and my team loses. Loss.
* Teammate disconnects and my team wins. No wait that never happened.

This is actually true. Could be something about the time someone disconnects not making the game count.

I'm pretty sure you don't get a win, it happened to me last night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
Tryhat
Profile Joined March 2012
160 Posts
April 19 2012 12:09 GMT
#8276
On April 19 2012 20:55 Firebolt145 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 20:25 Tryhat wrote:
On April 19 2012 20:08 Firebolt145 wrote:
Something I've not figured out yet but is important. If someone else leaves the game/dc's and it says 'this game is now safe to leave', does it add a win/loss to your record after that? I just had a game where one of the opponents dc'd at the very beginning, and 2 other teammates and 1 of mine left, leaving it as our 4 against their 2. I wanted to leave because it was a stupid game at that point but didn't want to risk getting a loss on my record for it.


Since we talked about it last I've been very observant of what actually happens when someone disconnects. So far I've experienced this (100% sure):

* Opponent disconnects but my team still loses. Loss.
* Opponent disconnects but my team wins. No win.
* Teammate disconnects and my team loses. Loss.
* Teammate disconnects and my team wins. No wait that never happened.

This is actually true. Could be something about the time someone disconnects not making the game count.

So...if an opponent dc's, I'm forced to play out the entire game to avoid a loss but for no benefit? That makes no sense.


If you don't know what the specific rules are for that particular game and that particular time of disconnection, you are fighting for a *possible* win, I guess. I'm not sure the opponents are freerolling or not. It would be retarded if they were, yes. It could be that for some times the game is nullified whether you win or lose. However, because luck will always favor those who do not deserve it, the likely scenario is that whenever you win you will find that you have not been rewarded with a win, and whenever you lose you will find that you have been penalized with a loss. But that's just life, you know.
scorch-
Profile Joined January 2011
United States816 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-19 12:12:26
April 19 2012 12:10 GMT
#8277
On April 19 2012 20:51 taran wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 20:43 Tryhat wrote:
On April 19 2012 20:27 Nilrem wrote:
On April 19 2012 19:54 Tryhat wrote:
On April 19 2012 19:13 TheYango wrote:
On April 19 2012 19:06 Tryhat wrote:
I never understood why people suggest drums instead of vanguard. They're nothing alike. Items that are better and cheaper than drums for survivability: Ogre club, PMS (likely), Vitality Booster, any Armor+Magic Res combo. Then there are things like Ultimate Orb, Sange, Heaven's Halberd, etc. Also, if you a buy a vit booster or ogre club or something like that you can upgrade it into an actual late game item, instead of just wasting a slot like you are with drums.

Okay if you like drums, but I don't understand how it in any way is a vanguard replacement. I've seen it suggested on ranged heroes instead of vanguard as well. Can someone explain?

You don't buy Drums for just generic survivability. You buy Drum's for early teamfighting power. Which is what many of those heroes want, and what many people bough pre-nerf Vanguard for (e.g. back when ranged Vanguard was still absurd). Janggo doesn't replace the exact functionality, but it fills the implicit purpose that many people often are accustomed to getting Vanguard for. The only other item in the game that gives a comparable mix of both self fighting stats AND team benefit at that stage of the game is Mekansm, and Mek is both mana-intensive to use, and is worthless in multiples.

In the case of Panda, you're not interested in a straight survivability item--so long as your ultimate is up, surviving a fight isn't your problem. What you want is a teamfighting item that advances your up-front fighting power, both inside your Ultimate and out, and that's what Janggo accomplishes.

If you want straight survivability items, you should obviously buy straight survivability items. Janggo gives one of the most well-rounded mix of self- and team- teamfighting stats for it's cost. Most of the ranged heroes that you see people suggest it on are semicarries that want that kind of teamfighting power at that stage of the game.


So you wouldn't recommend it if you're playing a hardcarry style then I presume. What about on Viper, QoP or someone like Razor? Vanguard still viable? Are drums (if you play them like the team's carry)?


Vanguards are technically viable, but not always needed. For example. QoP has nice escape abilities and should focus on getting her dps down, getting that scepter out. The Viper does not need the Vanguard since you usually want something like Manta which gets you a nice stat boost as well as survivability. You can also in theory go shadow blade to get your dps higher and be able to escape.

I myself go Vanguard for Razor but that is my personal choice. I do not remember how others have used Razor in the past. So I cannot recall if they had it or not. I do know that heroes I really go vanguard for would be Axe (well... he is axe after all hehe) and Anti-Mage. Since I want the survivability so I can farm up and well, completely (potentially own) later on.


Any hero needs to be able to take a few hits to dish out their damage, including QoP which is why I kinda like Vanguard on her (and would like it even more if not for the ranged nerf). I notice you don't even mention Spectre, Dark Seer, Clockwerk, Doombringer, Alchemist, Riki and Batrider, all of which are excellent Vanguard carriers, which is why I will take your advice with a grain of salt.


Vanguard on QoP is a waste of money - space - and time.


This. Even with Vanguard, QoP can't survive autoattack damage, so getting the straight hp/mana items is better (RoH + shield is nearly a point booster). With a 6sec cd blink and all ranged abilities, you need to be positioning better if you think that vanguard is a good buy on her.

e: Watch any good player and you'll see their QoP running around with INT treads almost 100% of the time. Don't take damage on that hero, deal it and get out. It's only late midgame -> late game when you have a lot stronger stats that you start really tanking damage to autoattack.
tpmraven
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States833 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-19 12:19:38
April 19 2012 12:17 GMT
#8278
On April 19 2012 20:25 Tryhat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2012 20:08 Firebolt145 wrote:
Something I've not figured out yet but is important. If someone else leaves the game/dc's and it says 'this game is now safe to leave', does it add a win/loss to your record after that? I just had a game where one of the opponents dc'd at the very beginning, and 2 other teammates and 1 of mine left, leaving it as our 4 against their 2. I wanted to leave because it was a stupid game at that point but didn't want to risk getting a loss on my record for it.


Since we talked about it last I've been very observant of what actually happens when someone disconnects. So far I've experienced this (100% sure):

* Opponent disconnects but my team still loses. Loss.
* Opponent disconnects but my team wins. No win.
* Teammate disconnects and my team loses. Loss.
* Teammate disconnects and my team wins. No wait that never happened.

This is actually true. Could be something about the time someone disconnects not making the game count.



Current Abandon Logic

If you are disconnected for more than 5 minutes cumulative you will get an Abandon. This includes multiple instances, like 3 times for 2 minutes each.

Current Win/Loss Logic

If you abandon a game, you will get a loss, even if you come back, finish the game, and win.

If there is a server crash (not just your system crashing) it won't count as a win or loss for anyone.

If there is an abandon at the beginning of the game then the game will not count as a Win or Loss for either team. Still clarifying when the exact cutoff is.
Quote:
Here are the rules for what happens when there is a leaver in a game:

Games with the wrong number of players at start never count - not really a problem any more but used to happen occasionally.

If there is a leaver before any action has occurred then wins/losses are not recorded. The exception to this is if the team with the leaver manages to win 4v5 then the game will still count (this doesn't happen very often and when it does those guys deserve the win).

If there is a leaver later in the game then wins and losses will be awarded appropriately (the leaver always loses). People can leave if they don't want to play 4v5 and they will not get an abandon point. People who leave after this point will not automatically get a loss like the first leaver but will get a win or a loss based on the outcome of the game.


Wish i new the time for the cuttoff :/
(⌐■_■) Like a boss
Tryhat
Profile Joined March 2012
160 Posts
April 19 2012 12:24 GMT
#8279
So an early leaver is GREAT for the leaver's team. They're freerolling. Quote from earlier: That's retarded.

It would be nice to know what that cutoff time is exactly.
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-19 12:56:13
April 19 2012 12:55 GMT
#8280
It's after first blood.
IIRC.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
Prev 1 412 413 414 415 416 6534 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft238
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta58
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft641
PiGStarcraft238
RuFF_SC2 190
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 195
Stork 186
Leta 105
PianO 69
Hyuk 61
Bale 15
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm206
League of Legends
JimRising 684
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox723
C9.Mang0268
Westballz42
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor617
Other Games
summit1g9434
Coldzera 820
Sick117
ViBE83
ArmadaUGS43
Liquid`Ken8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick781
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream111
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 103
• Letter149
• Adnapsc2 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2134
League of Legends
• Lourlo1101
• Stunt401
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
5h 11m
Online Event
6h 11m
FEL
11h 11m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 11m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 11m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.