• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:09
CEST 22:09
KST 05:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7933 users

US Politics Mega-Blog - Page 133

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 131 132 133 134 135 171 Next
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12536 Posts
January 10 2019 20:26 GMT
#2641
On January 11 2019 01:40 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2019 01:20 GreenHorizons wrote:
“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?”

How do conservatives answer that question that a US congressman proposes to us?

You're asking the wrong people. The question should be directed to the intellectuals on the Left who embraced and then pushed moral and cultural subjectivism, creating the current atmosphere in which male whitey is always considered the bad guy.


I legitimately don't understand this answer.
No will to live, no wish to die
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
January 10 2019 21:11 GMT
#2642
Do you understand what is meant by subjective instead of objective terms? Do you understand if somebody said, “You shouldn’t be asking progressives about this, you should really be asking conservatives!” what they mean by that?

I already said what I think, but his perspective is easy to understand even if you don’t agree with it or think only a lunatic would say things like that.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28899 Posts
January 10 2019 21:17 GMT
#2643
There's truth to leftist intellectuals embracing moral and cultural subjectivism, there's no truth to the idea that this created an atmosphere where male whitey is always the bad guy. (I mean, I'm not saying groups believing this don't exist, but they certainly have much, much less societal influence than the groups of people thinking white people are a force of good compared to black people or arabs).
Moderator
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12536 Posts
January 10 2019 21:24 GMT
#2644
On January 11 2019 06:11 Danglars wrote:
Do you understand what is meant by subjective instead of objective terms? Do you understand if somebody said, “You shouldn’t be asking progressives about this, you should really be asking conservatives!” what they mean by that?

I already said what I think, but his perspective is easy to understand even if you don’t agree with it or think only a lunatic would say things like that.


Apparently I don't find it so easy to understand given the post I just wrote... Please elaborate.
No will to live, no wish to die
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
January 10 2019 21:35 GMT
#2645
On January 11 2019 06:17 Liquid`Drone wrote:
There's truth to leftist intellectuals embracing moral and cultural subjectivism, there's no truth to the idea that this created an atmosphere where male whitey is always the bad guy. (I mean, I'm not saying groups believing this don't exist, but they certainly have much, much less societal influence than the groups of people thinking white people are a force of good compared to black people or arabs).


I don't know what it's like where you are, but this attitude saturates American pop culture and politics. It is particularly pervasive in the younger leftist crowd.
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
January 10 2019 22:09 GMT
#2646
On January 11 2019 06:24 Nebuchad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2019 06:11 Danglars wrote:
Do you understand what is meant by subjective instead of objective terms? Do you understand if somebody said, “You shouldn’t be asking progressives about this, you should really be asking conservatives!” what they mean by that?

I already said what I think, but his perspective is easy to understand even if you don’t agree with it or think only a lunatic would say things like that.


Apparently I don't find it so easy to understand given the post I just wrote... Please elaborate.

Well, I gave those two examples hoping to move from the foundation of what’s meant by those words in other contexts. I received no answer. So I’m still stuck if you can or cannot describe the meanings in my first paragraph. Furthermore, I think most “I can’t understand” is really “I don’t understand why a reasonable person would believe this about that” or “I don’t agree with this persons conclusions.”

For example, I think Drone’s perspective on bad whites vs bad Arabs/bad blacks in society and culture is hopelessly biased, or only locally representative, or ridiculously misinformed, but I understand precisely what he means by it.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28899 Posts
January 10 2019 22:44 GMT
#2647
On January 11 2019 06:35 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2019 06:17 Liquid`Drone wrote:
There's truth to leftist intellectuals embracing moral and cultural subjectivism, there's no truth to the idea that this created an atmosphere where male whitey is always the bad guy. (I mean, I'm not saying groups believing this don't exist, but they certainly have much, much less societal influence than the groups of people thinking white people are a force of good compared to black people or arabs).


I don't know what it's like where you are, but this attitude saturates American pop culture and politics. It is particularly pervasive in the younger leftist crowd.


I think there is a very big difference between the statement 'powerful people of the past have tended to be a force of bad rather than good because they derived their power from the exploitation of others. They also tended to be white males' and 'male whitey is bad'. I'm a white male, and I largely believe in the former (I mean, it's a simplification and I don't have the time to flesh it out more now), but certainly not the latter. It's an opposition to exploitation, which, for the past several hundred years, white males are more guilty of than any other group, not an opposition to white males (a group I most certainly belong to).

It's not like I think medieval kings in Europe or american pre-slavery presidents were worse than persian god-kings (rather to the contrary), but the former is much more significant in shaping current day western society than the latter.

I think my pov is much closer to the actual pov of the younger leftist crowd than what your description of their pov is. If you want to disagree with the notion that white males are more guilty of exploitation than non-white males (for the past 200-500 years, or women since the birth of humanity, which is more relevant in shaping today's society than what happened before that), then you'll have a very hard time convincing me of that, but at least it'd be a logically consistent position to hold on to.

For the record I think most claims of 'cultural appropriation' are dumb. Not all, but that seems to be one trend you have going in the US which doesn't really exist here. At the same time, I think even stupid and wrong accusations of cultural appropriation pale in comparison with the real racism arabs, latinos and black people continue to face to this very day, so it's not an important fight to me.
Moderator
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12536 Posts
January 10 2019 22:56 GMT
#2648
On January 11 2019 07:09 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2019 06:24 Nebuchad wrote:
On January 11 2019 06:11 Danglars wrote:
Do you understand what is meant by subjective instead of objective terms? Do you understand if somebody said, “You shouldn’t be asking progressives about this, you should really be asking conservatives!” what they mean by that?

I already said what I think, but his perspective is easy to understand even if you don’t agree with it or think only a lunatic would say things like that.


Apparently I don't find it so easy to understand given the post I just wrote... Please elaborate.

Well, I gave those two examples hoping to move from the foundation of what’s meant by those words in other contexts. I received no answer. So I’m still stuck if you can or cannot describe the meanings in my first paragraph. Furthermore, I think most “I can’t understand” is really “I don’t understand why a reasonable person would believe this about that” or “I don’t agree with this persons conclusions.”

For example, I think Drone’s perspective on bad whites vs bad Arabs/bad blacks in society and culture is hopelessly biased, or only locally representative, or ridiculously misinformed, but I understand precisely what he means by it.


In a way you're right. The only way I can read xDaunt's post as an answer to what GH posted is the notion that white supremacy is a reaction to the left's positions on moral subjectivism and similar ideas, and I'm not sure I'm ready to believe that xDaunt believes that, given that it makes no sense. But I don't want to be uncharitable and assume that his position is incoherent when I'm not sure I really understand what he's saying.
No will to live, no wish to die
Dromar
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States2145 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-10 23:07:21
January 10 2019 23:06 GMT
#2649
I understood xDaunt's position to be this:

You'd have to ask "the intellectuals on the left" why terms like "white supremacist, white nationalist, western civilization" are offensive, because they are the ones who created the social situation in which they are offensive in the first place.

(Not really sure what to make of such a position, but that's how I read it at least.)
brian
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States9643 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-10 23:27:03
January 10 2019 23:18 GMT
#2650
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
January 11 2019 00:02 GMT
#2651
On January 11 2019 07:44 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 11 2019 06:35 xDaunt wrote:
On January 11 2019 06:17 Liquid`Drone wrote:
There's truth to leftist intellectuals embracing moral and cultural subjectivism, there's no truth to the idea that this created an atmosphere where male whitey is always the bad guy. (I mean, I'm not saying groups believing this don't exist, but they certainly have much, much less societal influence than the groups of people thinking white people are a force of good compared to black people or arabs).


I don't know what it's like where you are, but this attitude saturates American pop culture and politics. It is particularly pervasive in the younger leftist crowd.


I think there is a very big difference between the statement 'powerful people of the past have tended to be a force of bad rather than good because they derived their power from the exploitation of others. They also tended to be white males' and 'male whitey is bad'. I'm a white male, and I largely believe in the former (I mean, it's a simplification and I don't have the time to flesh it out more now), but certainly not the latter. It's an opposition to exploitation, which, for the past several hundred years, white males are more guilty of than any other group, not an opposition to white males (a group I most certainly belong to).

It's not like I think medieval kings in Europe or american pre-slavery presidents were worse than persian god-kings (rather to the contrary), but the former is much more significant in shaping current day western society than the latter.

I think my pov is much closer to the actual pov of the younger leftist crowd than what your description of their pov is. If you want to disagree with the notion that white males are more guilty of exploitation than non-white males (for the past 200-500 years, or women since the birth of humanity, which is more relevant in shaping today's society than what happened before that), then you'll have a very hard time convincing me of that, but at least it'd be a logically consistent position to hold on to.

For the record I think most claims of 'cultural appropriation' are dumb. Not all, but that seems to be one trend you have going in the US which doesn't really exist here. At the same time, I think even stupid and wrong accusations of cultural appropriation pale in comparison with the real racism arabs, latinos and black people continue to face to this very day, so it's not an important fight to me.

You are hugely underestimating the scope and scale of the pervasiveness of the sentiment that white males are bad. Just Google "white males are bad" and watch what comes up. We don't even have to get into esoteric discussions about "the Patriarchy." Articles like this pop up regularly now:

It is not very fashionable to be a man these days, especially a white one.

After the exposure of Harvey Weinstein’s alleged record of sexual assault and harassment, The New York Times ran a piece entitled “The unexamined brutality of the male libido” by the Canadian writer Stephen Marche.

“The point of Freud was not that boys will be boys,” wrote Marche. “Rather the opposite. . . . If you let boys be boys, they will murder their fathers and sleep with their mothers.”

Right.

“Masculinity, not ideology, drives extremist groups,” was another recent headline that caught my eye, this time in The Washington Post.

Got it.

I have had to listen to a variation on this theme rather too much in recent weeks. Last month I organized a small conference of historians who I knew shared my interest in trying to apply historical knowledge to contemporary policy problems. Five of the people I invited to give papers were women, but none was able to attend. I should have tried harder to find other female speakers, no doubt. But my failure to do so elicited a disproportionately vitriolic response.

Under a headline that included the words “Too white and too male,” The New York Times published photographs of all the speakers, as if to shame them for having participated. Around a dozen academics — male as well as female — took to social media to call the conference a “StanfordSausageFest.”

So outraged were Stanford historians Allyson Hobbs and Priya Satia that they demanded “greater university oversight” of the Hoover Institution, where I work, as it was “an ivory tower in the most literal sense.”

The most literal sense?

Now let’s be clear. I was raised to believe in the equal rights of all people, regardless of sex, race, creed, or any other difference. That the human past was characterized by discrimination of many kinds is not news to me. But does it really constitute progress if the proponents of diversity resort to the behavior that was previously the preserve of sexists and racists?

Publishing the names and mugshots of conference speakers is the kind of thing anti-Semites once did to condemn the “over-representation” of Jewish people in academia. Terms such as “SausageFest” belong not in civil academic discourse but on urinal walls.


Additionally, there are countless policies (both in private business and in governmental/quasi-government settings) that perpetuate this kind of anti-white male bias in societies, including affirmative action, other types of diversity policies, and even educational policies that stack against the deck against boys beginning as early as kindergarten (there's a reason why girls greatly outnumber boys in higher education now). Regardless of the merits of the original intentions of the people who set us on this course, it has clearly spiraled out of control and into insanity.
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-11 00:29:28
January 11 2019 00:23 GMT
#2652
It's interesting how explicitly some of these people, including trump, are tying an emergency declaration to Congress's refusal to authorize the wall. You would think it would undermine their legal position when they say "the reason we are declaring an emergency is because we couldn't get it done with congress." They're not saying "the reason we're declaring an emergency is because there is an emergency that requires immediate construction of a wall." The reason they're not saying that is because if it were true, trump would not have sought authorization from Congress for two years prior to declaring the emergency.





And speaking of national emergencies...

Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-11 00:51:05
January 11 2019 00:49 GMT
#2653
Tbh, after considering the possibility of a "liberal" national emergency, it may not be such a bad route to take after all. We do love executive power in America. Since Congress can't get anything done (which is likely an irreversible state of affairs), we might just need to rely on the wisdom of the president.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-11 03:14:51
January 11 2019 03:14 GMT
#2654
On January 11 2019 09:49 Doodsmack wrote:
Tbh, after considering the possibility of a "liberal" national emergency, it may not be such a bad route to take after all. We do love executive power in America. Since Congress can't get anything done (which is likely an irreversible state of affairs), we might just need to rely on the wisdom of the president.


I would have to imagine that there would be no argument left against using a state of emergency to address climate change as a matter of national security.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
January 11 2019 05:01 GMT
#2655
Looks like Trump may be appointing another Supreme Court justice sooner rather than later. Ginsburg hasn't appeared at Court for oral arguments this term. And now there are reports surfacing that Trump is getting ready for the selection in addition to rumors that Ginsburg may be stepping down.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24367 Posts
January 11 2019 05:13 GMT
#2656
On January 11 2019 14:01 xDaunt wrote:
Looks like Trump may be appointing another Supreme Court justice sooner rather than later. Ginsburg hasn't appeared at Court for oral arguments this term. And now there are reports surfacing that Trump is getting ready for the selection in addition to rumors that Ginsburg may be stepping down.


Upshot is it will help people realize how corrupted the supreme court is like pretty much everything Trump has touched.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
January 11 2019 05:20 GMT
#2657
$50 bil for wall in exchange for RBG replacement.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
January 11 2019 05:25 GMT
#2658
On January 11 2019 14:20 Danglars wrote:
$50 bil for wall in exchange for RBG replacement.

Nah. Trump is going to have his cake and eat it, too.
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
January 11 2019 05:32 GMT
#2659
First missed paycheck is tomorrow (or today for some of you east coasters) for federal workers. Now, maybe $5 bil looks a little easier to let go for Dems, or campaign promises were really just suggestions for R’s. I know for damn sure Trump’s re-election chances are in the toilet if he doesn’t get the wall done. Immigration and judges.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-11 12:44:31
January 11 2019 12:43 GMT
#2660
On January 11 2019 14:32 Danglars wrote:
First missed paycheck is tomorrow (or today for some of you east coasters) for federal workers. Now, maybe $5 bil looks a little easier to let go for Dems, or campaign promises were really just suggestions for R’s. I know for damn sure Trump’s re-election chances are in the toilet if he doesn’t get the wall done. Immigration and judges.


I don't really understand why Trurmp has to nag congress to build the wall; it's purpose is to enforce current laws, not create new ones. I do think democrats will cave though, so the optics of that are a lot better and opening the can of worms of executive order is not a good idea.
That said, The US army 2019 budget is of upwards of 50 billions to "help" other countries and play foreign wars; surely they can be told to use less than 10% of that budget for their actual intended job, protect US sovereignity.

Can't wait for amy barrett in the SC. Trump is really luck if he gets another SC pick before his re-election.
Prev 1 131 132 133 134 135 171 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 543
UpATreeSC 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 791
Dewaltoss 108
firebathero 81
Zeus 64
910 38
Trap 36
NaDa 28
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 18
Shine 13
Dota 2
Gorgc6562
420jenkins274
monkeys_forever99
Counter-Strike
edward92
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS149
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2222
Other Games
summit1g5576
Grubby2837
B2W.Neo679
Beastyqt639
shahzam415
byalli411
KnowMe158
TKL 144
C9.Mang0143
ToD107
Railgan16
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV247
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 35
• Adnapsc2 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki34
• blackmanpl 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur278
• WagamamaTV252
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 51m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 51m
Stellar Fest
16h 51m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.