• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:00
CEST 18:00
KST 01:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)74Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9110 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 7877

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7875 7876 7877 7878 7879 10093 Next
Read the rules in the OP before posting, please.

In order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a re-read to refresh your memory! The vast majority of you are contributing in a healthy way, keep it up!

NOTE: When providing a source, explain why you feel it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion if it's not obvious.
Also take note that unsubstantiated tweets/posts meant only to rekindle old arguments can result in a mod action.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
June 16 2017 19:02 GMT
#157521
On June 17 2017 03:54 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 03:21 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:00 Gahlo wrote:
On June 16 2017 22:25 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
In other news one the biggest companies in the US, Amazon, just bought Whole Foods.

Not surprising. Amazon has been planning on rolling out their grocery stores for a while now, Whole Foods that a good name in areas with money, and good locations.

Just gives me more reason to not buy from Whole Foods, because fuck Amazon.

The Walmart v Amazon war continues. Both want the others market.


Amazon has an insane amount of cultural advantage though. Amazon is a company people would feel encouraged to test out. I generally agree with Amazon's perspective on how they can improve my life and add value. Walmart is like every single thing wrong with our country. I go out of my way to not interact with Walmart.

Yes and you are clearly part of the demographic that Walmart wants, while Amazon wants to break into Walmarts hold over low income markets.

I am also not super exciting about Amazon’s pushes into all areas of the economy. I use their services, but I keep reading not great things about retail market nationwide. And the supply change for retail is a big part of our economy and tax base for states. I wonder if Amazon’s success will continue once the states have to start looking for other ways to pull in tax revenue.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
June 16 2017 19:03 GMT
#157522
I personally have no special preference for Walmart or Amazon in principle and use each to the extent that they are convenient to me.

Though I tend to need moderate quality generic products less frequently than specific books or electronics, so Amazon probably sees more use.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
ticklishmusic
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States15977 Posts
June 16 2017 19:06 GMT
#157523
amazon killed bookstores

amazon is killing retail

amazon now has its eyes on groceries
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
June 16 2017 19:06 GMT
#157524
On June 17 2017 04:02 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 03:54 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:21 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:00 Gahlo wrote:
On June 16 2017 22:25 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
In other news one the biggest companies in the US, Amazon, just bought Whole Foods.

Not surprising. Amazon has been planning on rolling out their grocery stores for a while now, Whole Foods that a good name in areas with money, and good locations.

Just gives me more reason to not buy from Whole Foods, because fuck Amazon.

The Walmart v Amazon war continues. Both want the others market.


Amazon has an insane amount of cultural advantage though. Amazon is a company people would feel encouraged to test out. I generally agree with Amazon's perspective on how they can improve my life and add value. Walmart is like every single thing wrong with our country. I go out of my way to not interact with Walmart.

Yes and you are clearly part of the demographic that Walmart wants, while Amazon wants to break into Walmarts hold over low income markets.

I am also not super exciting about Amazon’s pushes into all areas of the economy. I use their services, but I keep reading not great things about retail market nationwide. And the supply change for retail is a big part of our economy and tax base for states.
I wonder if Amazon’s success will continue once the states have to start looking for other ways to pull in tax revenue.


Kinda same deal as coal. The way I see it: If this is happening eventually anyway, let's just go ahead and rip the band aid off so we can deal with the problems sooner. We don't help ourselves by having pity on retail workers because their doom is already certain.
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
June 16 2017 19:07 GMT
#157525
somehow missed this earlier
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
June 16 2017 19:08 GMT
#157526
I like amazon as a company but there's tons of horror stories about employees for them being denied bathroom breaks and having crazy hours. I think they're paid better than walmart for the most part, but it's still problematic.
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
June 16 2017 19:12 GMT
#157527
On June 17 2017 04:08 Nevuk wrote:
I like amazon as a company but there's tons of horror stories about employees for them being denied bathroom breaks and having crazy hours. I think they're paid better than walmart for the most part, but it's still problematic.


I think the vast majority of companies have those type of problems. Some just don't have as bas as a reputation as others despite not being that much better in reality.
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-16 19:14:18
June 16 2017 19:12 GMT
#157528
On June 17 2017 04:08 Nevuk wrote:
I like amazon as a company but there's tons of horror stories about employees for them being denied bathroom breaks and having crazy hours. I think they're paid better than walmart for the most part, but it's still problematic.


Intel, Samsung, Space-X and Tesla are similarly "cruel", but workers understand the conditions ahead of time. They are well compensated for the difference in quality of life. In my industry, going to work at Intel is somewhat seen as a deal with the devil. You'll make ~40K/year more, but many people see it as not worth it.
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-16 19:22:01
June 16 2017 19:20 GMT
#157529
On June 17 2017 04:12 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:08 Nevuk wrote:
I like amazon as a company but there's tons of horror stories about employees for them being denied bathroom breaks and having crazy hours. I think they're paid better than walmart for the most part, but it's still problematic.


Intel, Samsung, Space-X and Tesla are similarly "cruel", but workers understand the conditions ahead of time. They are well compensated for the difference in quality of life. In my industry, going to work at Intel is somewhat seen as a deal with the devil. You'll make ~40K/year more, but many people see it as not worth it.

Nope. I had no idea that they could tack 2 hours onto my shift as mandatory overtime on an already 10 hour shift when it was guaranteed that I would have it every day for the short time I would have worked there. Had I known that, I wouldn't have taken the job. They also just changed my position for the luls, with 0 care about the fact that I specifically noted that I didn't/couldn't do the job they switched me to on my application.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
June 16 2017 19:22 GMT
#157530
On June 17 2017 04:20 Gahlo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:12 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:08 Nevuk wrote:
I like amazon as a company but there's tons of horror stories about employees for them being denied bathroom breaks and having crazy hours. I think they're paid better than walmart for the most part, but it's still problematic.


Intel, Samsung, Space-X and Tesla are similarly "cruel", but workers understand the conditions ahead of time. They are well compensated for the difference in quality of life. In my industry, going to work at Intel is somewhat seen as a deal with the devil. You'll make ~40K/year more, but many people see it as not worth it.

Nope. I had no idea that they could tack 2 hours onto my shift as mandatory overtime on an already 10 hour shift when it was guaranteed that I would have it every day for the short time I would have worked there. Had I known that, I wouldn't have taken the job.


Welp, never mind then. I suppose my experience exclusively pertains to technology development at the companies I listed.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-16 19:30:59
June 16 2017 19:30 GMT
#157531
On June 17 2017 04:06 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:02 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:54 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:21 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:00 Gahlo wrote:
On June 16 2017 22:25 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
In other news one the biggest companies in the US, Amazon, just bought Whole Foods.

Not surprising. Amazon has been planning on rolling out their grocery stores for a while now, Whole Foods that a good name in areas with money, and good locations.

Just gives me more reason to not buy from Whole Foods, because fuck Amazon.

The Walmart v Amazon war continues. Both want the others market.


Amazon has an insane amount of cultural advantage though. Amazon is a company people would feel encouraged to test out. I generally agree with Amazon's perspective on how they can improve my life and add value. Walmart is like every single thing wrong with our country. I go out of my way to not interact with Walmart.

Yes and you are clearly part of the demographic that Walmart wants, while Amazon wants to break into Walmarts hold over low income markets.

I am also not super exciting about Amazon’s pushes into all areas of the economy. I use their services, but I keep reading not great things about retail market nationwide. And the supply change for retail is a big part of our economy and tax base for states.
I wonder if Amazon’s success will continue once the states have to start looking for other ways to pull in tax revenue.


Kinda same deal as coal. The way I see it: If this is happening eventually anyway, let's just go ahead and rip the band aid off so we can deal with the problems sooner. We don't help ourselves by having pity on retail workers because their doom is already certain.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/the-silent-crisis-of-retail-employment/523428/

How every NeoLiberal of you, no pity for people who lose jobs and there is nothing to replace them. And we wonder why Hillary lost.

It is a much larger market. 100K jobs were lost in 6 months, which is the entire coal and steel industry in the US. I don’t think it is a disaster, but the “let the free market churn” style of economics might lead to many more sections of the country feeling left behind and ignored. I have no problem with change in economic realities, but they need to be managed.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-16 19:31:39
June 16 2017 19:31 GMT
#157532
On June 17 2017 04:12 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:08 Nevuk wrote:
I like amazon as a company but there's tons of horror stories about employees for them being denied bathroom breaks and having crazy hours. I think they're paid better than walmart for the most part, but it's still problematic.


Intel, Samsung, Space-X and Tesla are similarly "cruel", but they go into it knowing and are well compensated.


Samsung isn't an american company. Intel is uh, whatever. I have an aunt that works there and she's never had any horror stories (she started like 30 years ago or something though).

I think Space-X is actually getting a pretty bad reputation (engineers are trashing it on reddit as a labor farm or something, people work there for a year, get burned out and leave, get replaced with inexperienced engineers, repeat). The best spin people were putting on it was that it was like working at the big 5 for an accountant, but most disagreed with the concept that anyone really needed to work there.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44356 Posts
June 16 2017 19:35 GMT
#157533
On June 17 2017 04:30 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:06 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:02 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:54 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:21 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:00 Gahlo wrote:
On June 16 2017 22:25 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
In other news one the biggest companies in the US, Amazon, just bought Whole Foods.

Not surprising. Amazon has been planning on rolling out their grocery stores for a while now, Whole Foods that a good name in areas with money, and good locations.

Just gives me more reason to not buy from Whole Foods, because fuck Amazon.

The Walmart v Amazon war continues. Both want the others market.


Amazon has an insane amount of cultural advantage though. Amazon is a company people would feel encouraged to test out. I generally agree with Amazon's perspective on how they can improve my life and add value. Walmart is like every single thing wrong with our country. I go out of my way to not interact with Walmart.

Yes and you are clearly part of the demographic that Walmart wants, while Amazon wants to break into Walmarts hold over low income markets.

I am also not super exciting about Amazon’s pushes into all areas of the economy. I use their services, but I keep reading not great things about retail market nationwide. And the supply change for retail is a big part of our economy and tax base for states.
I wonder if Amazon’s success will continue once the states have to start looking for other ways to pull in tax revenue.


Kinda same deal as coal. The way I see it: If this is happening eventually anyway, let's just go ahead and rip the band aid off so we can deal with the problems sooner. We don't help ourselves by having pity on retail workers because their doom is already certain.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/the-silent-crisis-of-retail-employment/523428/

How every NeoLiberal of you, no pity for people who lose jobs and there is nothing to replace them. And we wonder why Hillary lost.

It is a much larger market. 100K jobs were lost in 6 months, which is the entire coal and steel industry in the US. I don’t think it is a disaster, but the “let the free market churn” style of economics might lead to many more sections of the country feeling left behind and ignored. I have no problem with change in economic realities, but they need to be managed.

But the new coal mine Trump was bragging about is going to employ 70 people!
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
June 16 2017 19:35 GMT
#157534
On June 17 2017 04:31 Nevuk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:12 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:08 Nevuk wrote:
I like amazon as a company but there's tons of horror stories about employees for them being denied bathroom breaks and having crazy hours. I think they're paid better than walmart for the most part, but it's still problematic.


Intel, Samsung, Space-X and Tesla are similarly "cruel", but they go into it knowing and are well compensated.


Samsung isn't an american company. Intel is uh, whatever. I have an aunt that works there and she's never had any horror stories (she started like 30 years ago or something though).

I think Space-X is actually getting a pretty bad reputation (engineers are trashing it on reddit as a labor farm or something, people work there for a year, get burned out and leave, get replaced with inexperienced engineers, repeat). The best spin people were putting on it was that it was like working at the big 5 for an accountant, but most disagreed with the concept that anyone really needed to work there.

Samsung does a lot of manufacturing in the US and the jobs they have lead to a similar lifestyle as the others. I wasn't approaching it from an ownership perspective. Just in terms of companies that give workers a certain lifestyle.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-16 19:47:46
June 16 2017 19:39 GMT
#157535
The parallels to the tech industry and the robber barons of the late 19th century grow by the day. Especially the “you know what you are getting into” attitude. Tesla not wanting its workers to unionize and other complaints. Uber existing. Facebook and Google doing anything to avoid hiring humans to moderate their websites. The unregulated, free spirited, scrappy, innovative upstarts taking on the world got rich and now they can’t understand why they should have to play by the same rules.

On June 17 2017 04:35 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:30 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:06 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:02 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:54 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:21 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:00 Gahlo wrote:
On June 16 2017 22:25 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
In other news one the biggest companies in the US, Amazon, just bought Whole Foods.

Not surprising. Amazon has been planning on rolling out their grocery stores for a while now, Whole Foods that a good name in areas with money, and good locations.

Just gives me more reason to not buy from Whole Foods, because fuck Amazon.

The Walmart v Amazon war continues. Both want the others market.


Amazon has an insane amount of cultural advantage though. Amazon is a company people would feel encouraged to test out. I generally agree with Amazon's perspective on how they can improve my life and add value. Walmart is like every single thing wrong with our country. I go out of my way to not interact with Walmart.

Yes and you are clearly part of the demographic that Walmart wants, while Amazon wants to break into Walmarts hold over low income markets.

I am also not super exciting about Amazon’s pushes into all areas of the economy. I use their services, but I keep reading not great things about retail market nationwide. And the supply change for retail is a big part of our economy and tax base for states.
I wonder if Amazon’s success will continue once the states have to start looking for other ways to pull in tax revenue.


Kinda same deal as coal. The way I see it: If this is happening eventually anyway, let's just go ahead and rip the band aid off so we can deal with the problems sooner. We don't help ourselves by having pity on retail workers because their doom is already certain.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/the-silent-crisis-of-retail-employment/523428/

How every NeoLiberal of you, no pity for people who lose jobs and there is nothing to replace them. And we wonder why Hillary lost.

It is a much larger market. 100K jobs were lost in 6 months, which is the entire coal and steel industry in the US. I don’t think it is a disaster, but the “let the free market churn” style of economics might lead to many more sections of the country feeling left behind and ignored. I have no problem with change in economic realities, but they need to be managed.

But the new coal mine Trump was bragging about is going to employ 70 people!


Its ok, through the magic of positive thinking, Trump will get the economy to 5%. And we will do this by mandating 10 hour work days, 6 day work weeks and push the retirement age to 75. And all millennials must have at least 2 children after 1 year of marriage.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Trainrunnef
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States601 Posts
June 16 2017 20:21 GMT
#157536
On June 17 2017 04:39 Plansix wrote:
The parallels to the tech industry and the robber barons of the late 19th century grow by the day. Especially the “you know what you are getting into” attitude. Tesla not wanting its workers to unionize and other complaints. Uber existing. Facebook and Google doing anything to avoid hiring humans to moderate their websites. The unregulated, free spirited, scrappy, innovative upstarts taking on the world got rich and now they can’t understand why they should have to play by the same rules.

Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:35 KwarK wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:30 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:06 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:02 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:54 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:21 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:00 Gahlo wrote:
On June 16 2017 22:25 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
In other news one the biggest companies in the US, Amazon, just bought Whole Foods.

Not surprising. Amazon has been planning on rolling out their grocery stores for a while now, Whole Foods that a good name in areas with money, and good locations.

Just gives me more reason to not buy from Whole Foods, because fuck Amazon.

The Walmart v Amazon war continues. Both want the others market.


Amazon has an insane amount of cultural advantage though. Amazon is a company people would feel encouraged to test out. I generally agree with Amazon's perspective on how they can improve my life and add value. Walmart is like every single thing wrong with our country. I go out of my way to not interact with Walmart.

Yes and you are clearly part of the demographic that Walmart wants, while Amazon wants to break into Walmarts hold over low income markets.

I am also not super exciting about Amazon’s pushes into all areas of the economy. I use their services, but I keep reading not great things about retail market nationwide. And the supply change for retail is a big part of our economy and tax base for states.
I wonder if Amazon’s success will continue once the states have to start looking for other ways to pull in tax revenue.


Kinda same deal as coal. The way I see it: If this is happening eventually anyway, let's just go ahead and rip the band aid off so we can deal with the problems sooner. We don't help ourselves by having pity on retail workers because their doom is already certain.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/the-silent-crisis-of-retail-employment/523428/

How every NeoLiberal of you, no pity for people who lose jobs and there is nothing to replace them. And we wonder why Hillary lost.

It is a much larger market. 100K jobs were lost in 6 months, which is the entire coal and steel industry in the US. I don’t think it is a disaster, but the “let the free market churn” style of economics might lead to many more sections of the country feeling left behind and ignored. I have no problem with change in economic realities, but they need to be managed.

But the new coal mine Trump was bragging about is going to employ 70 people!


Its ok, through the magic of positive thinking, Trump will get the economy to 5%. And we will do this by mandating 10 hour work days, 6 day work weeks and push the retirement age to 75. And all millennials must have at least 2 children after 1 year of marriage.



I thought they were the anti-marriage generation... maybe we need to mandate that too.
I am, therefore I pee
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-16 20:27:48
June 16 2017 20:27 GMT
#157537
On June 17 2017 05:21 Trainrunnef wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 04:39 Plansix wrote:
The parallels to the tech industry and the robber barons of the late 19th century grow by the day. Especially the “you know what you are getting into” attitude. Tesla not wanting its workers to unionize and other complaints. Uber existing. Facebook and Google doing anything to avoid hiring humans to moderate their websites. The unregulated, free spirited, scrappy, innovative upstarts taking on the world got rich and now they can’t understand why they should have to play by the same rules.

On June 17 2017 04:35 KwarK wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:30 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:06 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:02 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:54 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:21 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:00 Gahlo wrote:
On June 16 2017 22:25 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
In other news one the biggest companies in the US, Amazon, just bought Whole Foods.

Not surprising. Amazon has been planning on rolling out their grocery stores for a while now, Whole Foods that a good name in areas with money, and good locations.

Just gives me more reason to not buy from Whole Foods, because fuck Amazon.

The Walmart v Amazon war continues. Both want the others market.


Amazon has an insane amount of cultural advantage though. Amazon is a company people would feel encouraged to test out. I generally agree with Amazon's perspective on how they can improve my life and add value. Walmart is like every single thing wrong with our country. I go out of my way to not interact with Walmart.

Yes and you are clearly part of the demographic that Walmart wants, while Amazon wants to break into Walmarts hold over low income markets.

I am also not super exciting about Amazon’s pushes into all areas of the economy. I use their services, but I keep reading not great things about retail market nationwide. And the supply change for retail is a big part of our economy and tax base for states.
I wonder if Amazon’s success will continue once the states have to start looking for other ways to pull in tax revenue.


Kinda same deal as coal. The way I see it: If this is happening eventually anyway, let's just go ahead and rip the band aid off so we can deal with the problems sooner. We don't help ourselves by having pity on retail workers because their doom is already certain.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/the-silent-crisis-of-retail-employment/523428/

How every NeoLiberal of you, no pity for people who lose jobs and there is nothing to replace them. And we wonder why Hillary lost.

It is a much larger market. 100K jobs were lost in 6 months, which is the entire coal and steel industry in the US. I don’t think it is a disaster, but the “let the free market churn” style of economics might lead to many more sections of the country feeling left behind and ignored. I have no problem with change in economic realities, but they need to be managed.

But the new coal mine Trump was bragging about is going to employ 70 people!


Its ok, through the magic of positive thinking, Trump will get the economy to 5%. And we will do this by mandating 10 hour work days, 6 day work weeks and push the retirement age to 75. And all millennials must have at least 2 children after 1 year of marriage.



I thought they were the anti-marriage generation... maybe we need to mandate that too.

I saw two sets of think pieces on millennials side by side.

Set one:
Millennials don’t care about sex
Millennials are only into casual sex, not long term relationships.

Set two:
Millennials are not into eating out
Millennials don’t cook.

So as far as I can tell, Millennials are mythical creatures that don’t eat food and have relationships in ways we cannot comprehend. And are also killing Applebees.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44356 Posts
June 16 2017 20:30 GMT
#157538
We'd have houses if it were not for avacado toast and healthcare were it not for iphones.

But seriously, millennials as a group don't make sense, it's not a group that really exists beyond old people complaining about anyone younger than them.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
June 16 2017 20:39 GMT
#157539
Miami (CNN)President Donald Trump slammed former President Barack Obama's dealings with the communist regime in Cuba on Friday in Miami, charting his own course of more confrontational relations with the Castro-led government.

The speech, which came as the President signed a directive outlining his posture toward Cuba, is the latest attempt by the Trump administration to chip away at Obama's legacy. Obama spent the last two years of his presidency looking to warm relations with Cuba, including a trip to the island in 2016.
"I am canceling the last administration's completely one-sided deal with Cuba," Trump said.
Casting the Obama administration as people who looked the other way on the Castro regime's human rights violations, Trump said that he, as President, will "expose the crimes of the Castro regime."
"They made a deal with a government that spread violence and instability in the region and nothing they got, think about it, nothing they got, they fought for everything and we just didn't fight hard enough, but now, those days are over," Trump said. "We now hold the cards. The previous administration's easing of restrictions of travel and trade does not help the Cuban people. They only enrich the Cuban regime."
Trump listed some of the Castro regime's anti-United States actions, ranging back to the Cuban Missile Crisis, and added, "We will never, ever be blind to it. We know what is going on and we remember what happened."
Although Trump said he was "completely" canceling Obama's Cuba policy, the change is posture is only a partial shift from Obama's policy.

Diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba will remain open, as will the newly opened embassies in Washington and Havana. And there will be no further restrictions on the types of goods that Americans can take out of Cuba, including the country's popular rum and cigars.
Trump said he is keeping the embassy open "in the hope that our countries can forge a much stronger and better path."
The changes do, however, tighten restrictions on Cuba and ratchet up rhetoric on the Castro regime in hopes that it will lead to a transition of power on the island. Many presidents, though, have predicted the end of the Castros and, to date, none have been correct.
The Trump administration will begin strictly enforcing the authorized exemptions that allow travel between the US and Cuba and prohibit commerce with Cuban businesses owned by the military and intelligence services. The President also directed Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to convene a task force on expanding Internet access on the island and reiterate the United States' opposition to efforts in the United Nations to lift the Cuban embargo until more is done to honor human rights.

[snip]


www.cnn.com
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
June 16 2017 20:48 GMT
#157540
On June 17 2017 05:27 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2017 05:21 Trainrunnef wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:39 Plansix wrote:
The parallels to the tech industry and the robber barons of the late 19th century grow by the day. Especially the “you know what you are getting into” attitude. Tesla not wanting its workers to unionize and other complaints. Uber existing. Facebook and Google doing anything to avoid hiring humans to moderate their websites. The unregulated, free spirited, scrappy, innovative upstarts taking on the world got rich and now they can’t understand why they should have to play by the same rules.

On June 17 2017 04:35 KwarK wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:30 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:06 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 04:02 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:54 Mohdoo wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:21 Plansix wrote:
On June 17 2017 03:00 Gahlo wrote:
[quote]
Not surprising. Amazon has been planning on rolling out their grocery stores for a while now, Whole Foods that a good name in areas with money, and good locations.

Just gives me more reason to not buy from Whole Foods, because fuck Amazon.

The Walmart v Amazon war continues. Both want the others market.


Amazon has an insane amount of cultural advantage though. Amazon is a company people would feel encouraged to test out. I generally agree with Amazon's perspective on how they can improve my life and add value. Walmart is like every single thing wrong with our country. I go out of my way to not interact with Walmart.

Yes and you are clearly part of the demographic that Walmart wants, while Amazon wants to break into Walmarts hold over low income markets.

I am also not super exciting about Amazon’s pushes into all areas of the economy. I use their services, but I keep reading not great things about retail market nationwide. And the supply change for retail is a big part of our economy and tax base for states.
I wonder if Amazon’s success will continue once the states have to start looking for other ways to pull in tax revenue.


Kinda same deal as coal. The way I see it: If this is happening eventually anyway, let's just go ahead and rip the band aid off so we can deal with the problems sooner. We don't help ourselves by having pity on retail workers because their doom is already certain.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/the-silent-crisis-of-retail-employment/523428/

How every NeoLiberal of you, no pity for people who lose jobs and there is nothing to replace them. And we wonder why Hillary lost.

It is a much larger market. 100K jobs were lost in 6 months, which is the entire coal and steel industry in the US. I don’t think it is a disaster, but the “let the free market churn” style of economics might lead to many more sections of the country feeling left behind and ignored. I have no problem with change in economic realities, but they need to be managed.

But the new coal mine Trump was bragging about is going to employ 70 people!


Its ok, through the magic of positive thinking, Trump will get the economy to 5%. And we will do this by mandating 10 hour work days, 6 day work weeks and push the retirement age to 75. And all millennials must have at least 2 children after 1 year of marriage.



I thought they were the anti-marriage generation... maybe we need to mandate that too.

I saw two sets of think pieces on millennials side by side.

Set one:
Millennials don’t care about sex
Millennials are only into casual sex, not long term relationships.

Set two:
Millennials are not into eating out
Millennials don’t cook.

So as far as I can tell, Millennials are mythical creatures that don’t eat food and have relationships in ways we cannot comprehend. And are also killing Applebees.


If millennials don't cook, how come the kale industry is thriving? Checkmate.
Bora Pain minha porra!
Prev 1 7875 7876 7877 7878 7879 10093 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
UpATreeSC 76
TKL 29
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5161
Bisu 1995
Soulkey 1567
EffOrt 769
Mini 574
Horang2 379
Larva 344
ZerO 300
actioN 245
ggaemo 244
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 97
Mind 96
sorry 85
hero 77
Shinee 67
Sharp 65
Sea.KH 60
Barracks 58
Pusan 57
Snow 52
Hyun 42
Bale 30
Trap 26
ToSsGirL 23
Rock 18
Terrorterran 18
NaDa 17
Sacsri 13
scan(afreeca) 13
Noble 10
zelot 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5500
qojqva2463
Dendi1281
420jenkins290
League of Legends
Reynor77
Counter-Strike
fl0m3074
x6flipin1212
Fnx 687
edward39
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes365
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1272
hiko1024
B2W.Neo448
DeMusliM299
XBOCT236
Livibee231
Liquid`VortiX206
QueenE103
FrodaN69
Mew2King43
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV72
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 76
• mYiSmile128
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 37
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV616
League of Legends
• Nemesis3487
• TFBlade612
Other Games
• Shiphtur453
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h
Patches Events
1d
The PondCast
1d 18h
INu's Battles
1d 19h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.