• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:00
CEST 10:00
KST 17:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6707 users

Proposition: Internet forums make you dumber - Page 3

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
Klogon
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
MURICA15980 Posts
February 22 2005 10:47 GMT
#41
You're missing out then ;D
ieatkids5
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United States4628 Posts
February 22 2005 10:53 GMT
#42
I fucking love Moltke's writing style.
useLess
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4781 Posts
February 22 2005 11:03 GMT
#43
Something Awful - The Internet Makes You Stupid
Moonlight Shadow
dronebabo
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
10866 Posts
February 22 2005 11:11 GMT
#44
--- Nuked ---
Gryffindor_us
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
United States5606 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-02-22 11:17:56
February 22 2005 11:16 GMT
#45
On February 22 2005 19:40 HnR)hT wrote:
Shit, now I'm gonna get flamed :O


Eat penguin shit you ass be honker*

Some people on this forum are so disputatious.

Oh and babo, he probably saw the gamecube version - the Twin Snakes ;p.
Remember 11-12-04. 이윤열 ~. |||| ZerO, IriS, JangBi, Stork, BackHo! Mah Jae Yoon is no longer a feared entity.
MoltkeWarding
Profile Joined November 2003
5195 Posts
February 22 2005 11:19 GMT
#46
[quote]I think he sometimes used 'alternate' words more for the effect than for efficiency but.. It wasn't really excessive and it wasn't exactly hard to read :-)

It’s a common dogma that you shouldn’t use the same words over and over again because its sounds bad.
Therefore I don’t use the same words over and over again because it sounds bad.

[quote] Anyways, I can honestly say that I've probably picked up a lot more knowledge through tl.net than I have done from school..[/quote]

I don’t know about Sweden, but the pre-university educational system here is terrible. On one hand this attests to the failure of the school system. On the other hand if you read as many words in print as you have on tl.net, what would you guess would be the difference?

[quote] My english is pretty much entirely a product of playing games/reading stuff online.. And it turned out pretty well I think.[/quote]

No doubt, although don’t people in Sweden begin elementary English training in grade 1?
Until grade 8 my English was pretty sub-par (I only began learning it in grade 2), but I’ve never, even in the period when I relied on imitation to learn English, used popular slang and euphemisms.

[quote] Doesn't this have more to do with the tone of the forum for which you are trying to express your views?[/quote]

It might. I generally adapt my replies to simulate the tone of the thread. It’s very difficult to do otherwise. Can you imagine this:

Poster: Boxer beat yellow bunk rush 3-0 ROFL
Reply: Had boxer the propriety of clean conscience, his characteristic vanity might have been arrested to the advantage of the spectators. As it goes, repetition merely signifies a paralysis of human creativity, the virtues of which his fans unduly adorn him

[quote] Doesn't this just mean that a) The author is not very good or b) you are quite fed up with the subject?

I know that I was becoming a bit bored with reading the threads here on tl, and I did indeed just scroll through stuff..

But then I went to some other board, completely unrelated to this one and yeah, none of those signs were there..[/quote]

I think that when one goes through a massive amount of material of low substance, it contributes to the decay of attention span. It’s a well known fact that people’s attention spans have decreased in the past several generations. I think the very stimuli of interest have shifted from a literary medium to a visual medium in the last one hundred years, thus the human appetite for literature gradually decreased. For example, the readership of novels have become almost extinct now.

[quote] Hm.. I think this is a load of crap? Maybe if you tried to read everything out there..
How is this any different from a library (aside from the fact that a library usually is pretty calm and there's no advertizing, but it's not like you can't get around that)?[/quote]

I have an easier time reading from paper than from a computer screen. I tried to read Schiller’s Heroic Age of the Netherlands a few weeks ago from the Gutenberg project site. I could not manage more than a few paragraphs (I probably instinctively typed [url=http://www.teamliquid.net]www.teamliquid.net[/url] or something with the intention to eventually go back to the book and never did) I have no idea why, but the sensation of reading a book is a hundred times more intense than reading from a computer screen. I have been emotionally affected by reading books (to the point of outright sentimentality), but I have never read anything from the computer which aroused emotions other than mocking condescension.

[quote] There's plenty of books reproduced in their entirety online.. And plenty of articles that are just as well written if you read them online as if you should read them in a magazine, newspaper or what have you, no?[/quote]

I do read a lot of newspapers online. Generally I think journalism is rubbish today and has been for some time. I do occasionally read e-journals (academic journals published on the web), but I could never maintain the interest as I could sitting in a library with the book.

[quote] My english is almost exclusively self learned.. Very little stems from school..

Again, doesn't this largely depend on who you are talking to? If you are addressing a bunch of kindergardeners day out and day in, and only speak to these kids you would probably experience the same thing you are experiencing now, right?[/quote]

While you may have learned English from experience, I am guessing you had some sort of formal training to back it up. It’s very difficult to grasp a language from experience alone (took me quite a few years living in an English speaking country)

You’re providing an unrealistic scenario. I hate kids and would never be caught in the midst of people with a mental maturity of less than say…12. My antipathy for stupidity recognizes no bounds, not even excusing age.
EAGER-beaver
Profile Joined March 2004
Canada2799 Posts
February 22 2005 11:21 GMT
#47
[QUOTE]On February 22 2005 20:19 MoltkeWarding wrote:
[quote]I think he sometimes used 'alternate' words more for the effect than for efficiency but.. It wasn't really excessive and it wasn't exactly hard to read :-)

It’s a common dogma that you shouldn’t use the same words over and over again because its sounds bad.
Therefore I don’t use the same words over and over again because it sounds bad.

[quote] Anyways, I can honestly say that I've probably picked up a lot more knowledge through tl.net than I have done from school..[/quote]

I don’t know about Sweden, but the pre-university educational system here is terrible. On one hand this attests to the failure of the school system. On the other hand if you read as many words in print as you have on tl.net, what would you guess would be the difference?

[quote] My english is pretty much entirely a product of playing games/reading stuff online.. And it turned out pretty well I think.[/quote]

No doubt, although don’t people in Sweden begin elementary English training in grade 1?
Until grade 8 my English was pretty sub-par (I only began learning it in grade 2), but I’ve never, even in the period when I relied on imitation to learn English, used popular slang and euphemisms.

[quote] Doesn't this have more to do with the tone of the forum for which you are trying to express your views?[/quote]

It might. I generally adapt my replies to simulate the tone of the thread. It’s very difficult to do otherwise. Can you imagine this:

Poster: Boxer beat yellow bunk rush 3-0 ROFL
Reply: Had boxer the propriety of clean conscience, his characteristic vanity might have been arrested to the advantage of the spectators. As it goes, repetition merely signifies a paralysis of human creativity, the virtues of which his fans unduly adorn him

[quote] Doesn't this just mean that a) The author is not very good or b) you are quite fed up with the subject?

I know that I was becoming a bit bored with reading the threads here on tl, and I did indeed just scroll through stuff..

But then I went to some other board, completely unrelated to this one and yeah, none of those signs were there..[/quote]

I think that when one goes through a massive amount of material of low substance, it contributes to the decay of attention span. It’s a well known fact that people’s attention spans have decreased in the past several generations. I think the very stimuli of interest have shifted from a literary medium to a visual medium in the last one hundred years, thus the human appetite for literature gradually decreased. For example, the readership of novels have become almost extinct now.

[quote] Hm.. I think this is a load of crap? Maybe if you tried to read everything out there..
How is this any different from a library (aside from the fact that a library usually is pretty calm and there's no advertizing, but it's not like you can't get around that)?[/quote]

I have an easier time reading from paper than from a computer screen. I tried to read Schiller’s Heroic Age of the Netherlands a few weeks ago from the Gutenberg project site. I could not manage more than a few paragraphs (I probably instinctively typed [url=http://www.teamliquid.net]www.teamliquid.net[/url] or something with the intention to eventually go back to the book and never did) I have no idea why, but the sensation of reading a book is a hundred times more intense than reading from a computer screen. I have been emotionally affected by reading books (to the point of outright sentimentality), but I have never read anything from the computer which aroused emotions other than mocking condescension.

[quote] There's plenty of books reproduced in their entirety online.. And plenty of articles that are just as well written if you read them online as if you should read them in a magazine, newspaper or what have you, no?[/quote]

I do read a lot of newspapers online. Generally I think journalism is rubbish today and has been for some time. I do occasionally read e-journals (academic journals published on the web), but I could never maintain the interest as I could sitting in a library with the book.

[quote] My english is almost exclusively self learned.. Very little stems from school..

Again, doesn't this largely depend on who you are talking to? If you are addressing a bunch of kindergardeners day out and day in, and only speak to these kids you would probably experience the same thing you are experiencing now, right?[/quote]

While you may have learned English from experience, I am guessing you had some sort of formal training to back it up. It’s very difficult to grasp a language from experience alone (took me quite a few years living in an English speaking country)

You’re providing an unrealistic scenario. I hate kids and would never be caught in the midst of people with a mental maturity of less than say…12. My antipathy for stupidity recognizes no bounds, not even excusing age.
[/QUOTE]

After reading your original post I have to say that you suck. In general.
Simon and Garfunkel rock my face off
MoltkeWarding
Profile Joined November 2003
5195 Posts
February 22 2005 11:27 GMT
#48
On February 22 2005 20:21 EAGER-beaver wrote:

After reading your original post I have to say that you suck. In general.


And with far less research and effort on my part, I have to say that you suck more than me.
EAGER-beaver
Profile Joined March 2004
Canada2799 Posts
February 22 2005 11:45 GMT
#49
On February 22 2005 20:27 MoltkeWarding wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2005 20:21 EAGER-beaver wrote:

After reading your original post I have to say that you suck. In general.


And with far less research and effort on my part, I have to say that you suck more than me.


Talk about being an unoriginal hack. You shamelessly copied my marvel of literature.

?
Simon and Garfunkel rock my face off
Gryffindor_us
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
United States5606 Posts
February 22 2005 11:47 GMT
#50
On February 22 2005 20:45 EAGER-beaver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2005 20:27 MoltkeWarding wrote:
On February 22 2005 20:21 EAGER-beaver wrote:

After reading your original post I have to say that you suck. In general.


And with far less research and effort on my part, I have to say that you suck more than me.


Talk about being an unoriginal hack. You shamelessly copied my marvel of literature.

?


Are you a hairy beaver, or a bald beaver?
Remember 11-12-04. 이윤열 ~. |||| ZerO, IriS, JangBi, Stork, BackHo! Mah Jae Yoon is no longer a feared entity.
ReBanned
Profile Joined April 2004
1929 Posts
February 22 2005 11:48 GMT
#51
On February 22 2005 20:27 MoltkeWarding wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2005 20:21 EAGER-beaver wrote:

After reading your original post I have to say that you suck. In general.


And with far less research and effort on my part, I have to say that you suck more than me.


I don't like you.
Klogon
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
MURICA15980 Posts
February 22 2005 11:55 GMT
#52
This isn't going anywhere now.
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4444
Leta 1696
BeSt 441
Soulkey 350
Soma 140
ZergMaN 34
Shine 29
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm136
XcaliburYe3
League of Legends
JimRising 562
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King73
Other Games
summit1g8670
WinterStarcraft673
Sick228
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV214
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2306
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h
Patches Events
7h
BSL Open Qualifier
11h
BSL Open Qualifier
11h
OSC
15h
OSC
1d 4h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.