• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:25
CEST 08:25
KST 15:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9348 users

GSL Popularity - Page 63

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 61 62 63 64 65 66 Next
AcOrP
Profile Joined November 2009
Bulgaria148 Posts
January 09 2011 21:27 GMT
#1241
I like SC2, I watch alot but it get boring... BW is so exciting. This news is no suprise for me at all SC2 need to provide high skill scaling just like BW. Boxer doing micro wonders back then made BW so popular other fancy micro tricks in BW make it interesting to watch. SC2 don't have the same potential as BW. The game is made to be for masses not too hard and not so demanding skillwise.
Pros won't switch to SC2 becouse their skills will be wasted. I got bored of GSL, after season 2. 150 APM is the cap in sc2. In BW you will need 200-250 APM at least. You can easy see the skills in BW and it's alot hard to see the difference in Sc2.
mprs
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2933 Posts
January 09 2011 21:51 GMT
#1242
I'm assuming all the haters wern't watching the scReddit matches...
We talkin about PRACTICE
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
January 09 2011 21:52 GMT
#1243
On January 10 2011 06:51 mprs wrote:
I'm assuming all the haters wern't watching the scReddit matches...


most insane series, not 1, not 2, but 3 shit fucking long epic games

damn im so happy i randomly tuned in
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
Inflexion
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada560 Posts
January 09 2011 21:56 GMT
#1244
On January 10 2011 06:51 mprs wrote:
I'm assuming all the haters wern't watching the scReddit matches...


I think a lot of games of ^ caliber will be played next season in GSL when the newer maps hit.

The longer rush distances really make a HUGE difference in terms of how games turn out.

If games like the one played between Morrow and KiwiKaki in scReddit happened mor, then there is no doubt that GSL popularity will go way up.
Four wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul.
Xain
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada94 Posts
January 09 2011 21:58 GMT
#1245
At the risk of restating what people are saying, to those hating on sc2: go see the 3rd game of the kiwi&morrow series on metalopolis. Please. Like, for real.
lowkontrast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States855 Posts
January 09 2011 22:04 GMT
#1246
On January 10 2011 02:21 Zoler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2011 01:27 lowkontrast wrote:
I just really have to ask, because I was not a follower of Starcraft 1 competitive gaming, but it just seems that Starcraft 2 is getting so much more exposure. A lot of my friends at school are familiar with the scene, even with ones who don't even game on PC. However, before Starcraft 2, no one really knew what Starcraft was.

Maybe it's just Korea that isn't accepting Starcraft 2 well? If so, can't Blizzard get Europeans to host the GSL? Look at the huge response Dreamhack got. Plus it had free HD streaming, lol.


You probably live on the countryside or something, like 99% of every young male knew of Starcraft Brood War.... and a great deal of them knew of the competetive aspect in Korea, to some level.


New York City, not exactly the countryside, haha.
eloist
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1017 Posts
January 09 2011 22:04 GMT
#1247
On January 10 2011 06:51 mprs wrote:
I'm assuming all the haters wern't watching the scReddit matches...

Games outside of GSL (Europe/US) are somehow consistently better to spectate.
pzea469
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1520 Posts
January 09 2011 22:12 GMT
#1248
On January 10 2011 07:04 eloist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2011 06:51 mprs wrote:
I'm assuming all the haters wern't watching the scReddit matches...

Games outside of GSL (Europe/US) are somehow consistently better to spectate.


People have already said that this is because they aren't as good(they make more mistakes so games become more unpredictable). I do think they are worse than the top gsl players, but i dont think theyre THAT much worse. But really i think it's because there is more money on the line on GSL and the people there are doing it for a living. So making a MS might be looked down upon by your own team or coach? These are just thoughts running through my head but im guessing what I've said might somewhat factor it...... idk
Kill the Deathball
Krehlmar
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1149 Posts
January 09 2011 22:13 GMT
#1249
My five cents;



Maps/Macro in SC2 has sucked compared to SCBW (atleast from a korean perspective)

This is evidently going to change, which is great.

E-sports have never been bigger in Europa from what I'm experiencing (my girlfriend works with it on TV and there is interest for it)




I dont think egaming will die, people will play games and the crowd will only grow. Sponsors know this, they might be hesitant to be the first ones out risking money and gaining little, but they know there is potentiall.
Give it time and controll... no game is perfect from the start or sometimes even years after release: SC2 hasn't been perfect and I think that is why alot of people have shunned it. And I think alot of koreans feel it has been pushed upon an already working system... but Im no korean so I wouldnt know.


Not worried about egaming, but I am worried about the people at GOMTv whom I think are doing a great job (blizzard made the shitty maps, not them). I hope they get the credit they deserve for driving esports forward.
My Comment Doesnt Matter Because No One Reads It
Nutrilait
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada15 Posts
January 09 2011 22:18 GMT
#1250
We just need the GSL to look more like that SCRI tournament, and hot damn, every single Korean will be watching. Also, Kiwi gotta get a spot into Code A, that guy is amazing.
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
January 09 2011 22:20 GMT
#1251
Egaming? What is gaming then?
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
berestev
Profile Joined October 2010
United States20 Posts
January 09 2011 22:36 GMT
#1252
I've had this question for a while, and this seems like a good place to ask it.

It seems to me that with the easier game mechanics, the pro players are getting slighly lazy. I started watching starcraft right before sc2 came out. However, I went and watched the games of good players like Jaedong, Flash, etc, to figure out what makes their play so amazing. It includes crazy micro, perfect macro, and good strategy, all while having to do millions of things at the same time. I have not seen the same type of play from anyone in SC2, even though it SHOULD be easier! (Actually, I saw a few games from oGsTheSTC that had nearly perfect gameplay, but of course he's not competing professionally).

As soon as Boxer came into the scene, I was getting ready for some awesome marine or tank micro, as Boxer is well known for that, and instead, there's almost nothing spectacular about his play!!! FAKE Boxer (MarineKingPrime) seems that he has BETTER marine micro than BOXER himself! Where's the tank/medivac micro? Where is the marine/medic micro? Those things would STILL work in SC2. I saw games where a handful of marines takes down an entire base purely because of fantastic micro. Where is the perfect giant mutalisk ball of death? Why not have muta harass in 3 places at the same time since everything is easier?

Here's my question:
If the game is so much easier, why aren't the players paying more attention to the tiniest details to achieve perfection?!


I see a few reasons for this -
1. Maps are small
This means that you can perfect your harass micro all you want, and the opponent's army will walk over to your main base in 3 seconds flat and just kill you while A-moving. I do believe that GOMTV is realizing this. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=182734
The new maps are huge, which should allow for better, non-ALL-IN play. This would allow Terran and Protoss players to trade armies while having the time to build it back up before their opponent just walks over them. (Zergs rebuild much faster, so they do that already).
2. Players are "lazy"
Now that you can group everything into 1 control group, players are doing just that. What happened to 1a2a3a4a?! Why can't players split up their armies to control them better? I know that players are working very hard, and I don't mean any disrespect. I just mean that they aren't putting as much thought into the mechanics because it seems to be 'easier'.
3. The game is too young
I can't wait until the pro gamers figure out that the better strategy isn't "Oh I bet he won't see THIS 1 base timing attack coming", and play a GOOD normal game.

Overall, I believe SC2 demands more perfection than BW. In BW, you can throw away a few units, and everything will be just fine. In SC2, there's no reason to have silly mistakes like bad rally points (which even NaDa did in his recent game).

This is just my take on it and I apologize for anything offensive I may have said
DerNebel
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Denmark648 Posts
January 09 2011 23:06 GMT
#1253
What berestev said.

Macro is ridiculously easy compared to BW, and former BW pros are playing. Why is all this new time and excess APM not being put to use in microing the units perfectly? Boxer was amazing in BW, merely mediocre in SC2.
My guess is all the slightly different 1/2 base timing attacks being ridiculously strong, because nobody has them ALL figured out yet. Forgg had weird timings and it was great to see (at least before he won that MSL and then slumped) in BW, but he also did more than just 1a2a3a into the enemy main and win.
I, too, hope that the new maps will fix everything, but I am sceptical,.. Oh well, Proleague, MSL and OSL are still running, and I will be watching those over GSL any day a week.
abYsss
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany26 Posts
January 09 2011 23:44 GMT
#1254
I think one of the main problems are the maps that force the game to be played in a very specific way.

In BW you had huge maps with so many possibilities to flank, you would have squads clashing all over the map, made it actually feel like an epic battle.
In Starcraft 2 you will see 95% of the time 2 large groups clashing into each other, there are simply no other places to walk around your opponent. Only thing that happens from time to time is a small drop, anything else is just impossible to do.

The only matchups which have produced really epic games so far are TvT and TvZ. In TvT positioning is so important that you can't effort to have all your units at one place. In TvZ Terran needs to play really stragegically to stand a chance in a macro games vs Zerg. Since Terrans are hard to break early as Zerg you will see lots of macro games here.

Anything including Protoss seems to be very unsatisfying so far, all I see is one big Protoss blob all the time. To defeat that blob the opposing player has to form his own blob. > very unexciting to watch

Unit control has become less important, what you need are the fitting units to counter your opponents units, which leads to most games becoming buildorder wins or losses due to bad managment. I don't mind seeing an allin here and there to keep things refreshing, but right now it's too viable and happens all the time. I can only hope that the new maps for the GSL will help out with that, they seem to encourage macro, which will help a lot in making the games more exciting to watch.
eloist
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1017 Posts
January 10 2011 00:25 GMT
#1255
[B]
Anything including Protoss seems to be very unsatisfying so far, all I see is one big Protoss blob all the time. To defeat that blob the opposing player has to form his own blob. > very unexciting to watch

That's why games with HTs are so good.
MamiyaOtaru
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1687 Posts
January 10 2011 01:18 GMT
#1256

Here's my question:
If the game is so much easier, why aren't the players paying more attention to the tiniest details to achieve perfection?!


The rock paper scissors nature of part of the game (the strength of 1 base builds and preponderance of build order wins) means there is no need to perfect the tiny things to get a tiny edge when you can try to shoot for the right build order that will give you a huge edge.

That's just how it looks to me, as a fan. I'm no pro, but when talking about the popularity of the GSL, fans and what they think are implied
goswser
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3548 Posts
January 10 2011 01:25 GMT
#1257
On January 10 2011 09:25 eloist wrote:
Show nested quote +
[B]
Anything including Protoss seems to be very unsatisfying so far, all I see is one big Protoss blob all the time. To defeat that blob the opposing player has to form his own blob. > very unexciting to watch

That's why games with HTs are so good.

To make it even worse, collosi walk over the blob, so instead of seeing all of the units and small micro situations in a battle, you see part of a blob and lots of collosi, watch the hitpoints on the collosi go down, then at the end of the battle notice the size of the protoss' army, but can't observe the other units individually die if they are under the collosus, or, if you are the opposing player, micro or unit control against the units under the collosi.
say you were born into a jungle indian tribe where food was scarce...would you run around from teepee to teepee stealing meat scraps after a day lazying around doing nothing except warming urself by a fire that you didn't even make yourself? -rekrul
eviltomahawk
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States11135 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-10 06:23:58
January 10 2011 06:12 GMT
#1258
Sorry if this is an unwelcome bump, but I think way too many people are blaming the game itself instead of other external factors in response to the "poor" audience count at GSL.

From the almighty Artosis himself:
1) Last season's finals was in the most remote part of Incheon City, an area which they are currently building up, and is completely deserted. I am absolutely flabbergasted that 1800 people actually showed up to that location.

2) Its actually around -15C in Seoul right now. I can't believe anyone's showing up to the early GSL rounds.

3) The area that the GSL studio is located in is actually terribly far away from the good areas of Seoul. To put this into perspective, the OGN studio (where OSL and half of ProLeague is taped) is in a hugely populated and popular area of Seoul. It is literally inside of a huge mall, which also happens to have a large hub train station in it. On the other hand, the MBC studio, which is always almost empty, is near the GSL studio. Location Location Location.

Source: His Facebook page. http://i.imgur.com/mAYap.png
Courtesy to Lucas12 on Reddit for bringing this Facebook post to light. http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/ez9uh/artosis_explains_low_gsl_attendance/

I think most people are overreacting. Perhaps it is partially the game's fault, though we absolutely cannot be ignorant enough to say it is entirely the games fault. There are many other variables at work here.

Also, does anyone think that Artosis's quote deserves its own thread? I feel that this thread has pretty much turned into SC2 vs BW bashing.
ㅇㅅㅌㅅ
Kamikiri
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1319 Posts
January 10 2011 06:18 GMT
#1259
Artosis has a very valid point as to why people didnt show up, as for people complaining about people not being as good in sc2 as they were in BW, sc2 isnt even a year old yet, give it time to evolve let people learn the game and get a good understanding of it.

Most people are over reacting or using this as thier opportunity to bash sc2, the game is doing fine and will continue to grow it just takes time so chill everybody.
kirkybaby
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)781 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-10 08:12:57
January 10 2011 08:09 GMT
#1260
edit: angsty baby post... deleted. sorry.
tournament history: 512th place in Altitude TLOpen #1
Prev 1 61 62 63 64 65 66 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 315
sorry 78
Mind 67
Bale 29
ZergMaN 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm201
League of Legends
JimRising 703
Other Games
summit1g7952
Coldzera 722
WinterStarcraft664
C9.Mang0314
Sick176
febbydoto19
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick707
BasetradeTV161
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2188
League of Legends
• Rush1477
Other Games
• Shiphtur690
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
3h 35m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
5h 35m
AI Arena Tournament
10h 35m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
12h 35m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.