• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:01
CEST 21:01
KST 04:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9602 users

Is Day[9] too much enjoying himself? - Page 4

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
AyJay
Profile Joined April 2010
1515 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-16 11:46:40
October 16 2010 11:45 GMT
#61
On October 16 2010 20:31 nekuodah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2010 20:29 Tachion wrote:
What day9 really needs is a co-caster of comparable on the spot game knowledge that he can actually give the mic to. Tasteless and Artosis do this really well together because they both know what's going on, and what is expected to happen at high levels of play.


Really? he did improve as the gsl went on but i still think he lacked alot of knowledge.

Tasteless WAS best BW caster ever



I'm so sad he can't live up to quality in GSL. PROVE ME WRONG TASTELESS

edit: also if this was day9 I wouldn't blame him for talking too much because co-caster doesn't know anything
davidcroda
Profile Joined September 2010
United States7 Posts
October 16 2010 11:49 GMT
#62
I totally agree with the OP. I think some of the popularity of his daily's has gone to his head.

It got really popular because he was giving out quality strategic information that wasn't readily available elsewhere. But now it seems like every day is a "theme" day and Day9 spends most of the time giggling at his own jokes and talking funny.

I enjoy the cast for the most part, but they seem like they are getting less and less useful and more of just a way to kill time. I hope he realizes this and gets back to his roots because the cast can be a great source of invaluable information. That is why so many people watch it, not because 10k people love staring at his face.

It doesn't help when 9k of the people in chat are just drooling all over you though
Flanlord
Profile Joined August 2010
265 Posts
October 16 2010 11:50 GMT
#63
I've really enjoyed Day[9]'s casting at live events, as well as the Dailies he's kindly been doing for the community.

When I saw him casting King of the Beta with JP, I thought there was a heavier leaning on Day[9]'s side, but that it was fairly fitting for the event, and worked as a good dynamic as Day[9] has insane amounts of SC knowledge and can really accurately predict outcomes of battles and guess the next step, while JP offers some amazing color commentary and bounce-back discussion.

At MLG Raleigh we saw that pairing again, and again I found myself enjoying the commentary, it was to the point, and entertaining.

At Raleigh we also saw him paired with HD and Husky. Both of whom seemed to be almost uncomfortable or nervous, as they were quiet compared to JP. But it wasn't like Day[9] was 'hogging' the air time, it got to the point that during many of the games he had to outright ask them something to get them involved in the cast. (More so for HD than Husky.) (This seemed super awkward and is something you will almost never see in balanced caster pairings.)

What I like about Day[9] is that he knows what he is talking about, and I think him playing as random really helps that a lot. I can't stand some other casters who don't know as much, don't play at the level Day[9] usually does, and have it influence their commentary. It got to the point where I can't watch HD's casts because each time he says "I really don't understand why he's doing this." or "I really disagree with this." and it is something you see frequently from top-end players, or an obvious tech change. (~I don't understand why he's getting those corrupters... ...Oh he's morphing in brood lords!)

TL:DR version:
I like Day[9]'s casting, I think the co-casting issues I've seen/heard haven't really been on his side of the pairings I've heard. When the other caster is comfortable with Day[9] it generally makes for a great cast, but sometimes they seem awkward or uncomfortable and it just gets bad.
dtz
Profile Joined September 2010
5834 Posts
October 16 2010 12:04 GMT
#64
i don't think he is purposely hogging. I think he just wants to deliver the best experience to the viewers. The final product is what matters even if it means his co-casters does not talk a lot. Usually , it is either because they cannot keep up with him or is just saying redundant stuff.

Paired with co-casters like djWheat, there was not any such problem because djWheat is such a veteran with good skill, knowledge and charm. The combo with JP also works to a certain extent. I am also sure if he casted with Artosis, no such "hogging problem" will exist. I remembered Chill being a good co-caster as well. So i think it is the other co-casters that is lacking.

So i think the ball is on the cocasters to improve and not drag day9 down.
Cybren
Profile Joined February 2010
United States206 Posts
October 16 2010 12:06 GMT
#65
I didn't see any of his casts with hd or husky but I never really saw any flaws with his casting with Jo or wheat. I always thought That they intentionally were setting him up or throwing to him. With dapollo at iem, there was some trouble but it still didn't seem that bad
The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.
kasumimi
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Greece460 Posts
October 16 2010 12:06 GMT
#66
On October 16 2010 20:45 AyJay wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2010 20:31 nekuodah wrote:
On October 16 2010 20:29 Tachion wrote:
What day9 really needs is a co-caster of comparable on the spot game knowledge that he can actually give the mic to. Tasteless and Artosis do this really well together because they both know what's going on, and what is expected to happen at high levels of play.


Really? he did improve as the gsl went on but i still think he lacked alot of knowledge.

Tasteless WAS best BW caster ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkvHI0Jdl2g&p=EECA97B0DBF383E5

I'm so sad he can't live up to quality in GSL. PROVE ME WRONG TASTELESS

edit: also if this was day9 I wouldn't blame him for talking too much because co-caster doesn't know anything


Watching this stream when it was live made me start playing BW and never stop. Tasteless was by far the most SICK commentator and I find it very demoralizing to see him making into a "job". His passion is gone he's just in it for the $$$ now. You can tell he doesn't play the game like he used to and you can tell he doesn't have the same love he had for SC1.

On topic, day9 is so good I wish he was casting alone tbh :< or maybe just with Chill.
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
October 16 2010 12:11 GMT
#67
What do you expect would happen when you put sc savant Day next to Gunrun and dApollo who, although they're both awesome guys, are on a completely different plane of existence when it comes to SC understanding.
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
Wolfpox
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada164 Posts
October 16 2010 12:12 GMT
#68
I just keep in mind that Day9 was like this relatively unknown nerd who probably had typical self esteem and everything, and then just exploded into popularity beyond belief, with people practically worshiping him -- so he may think he's just giving people what they want, or gets caught up with it.

Frankly I think the irrational fanboyism surrounding him is the problem, he's a great guy and has good insight but I wouldnt be surprised if it just created this inflated ego. I certainly got the impression he was self-absorbed during the IEG interview
[B] Butigroove wrote:[/B] Blizzard is double expanding to the natural gold base of our poor little nerd hearts.
Jhax
Profile Joined July 2010
Ireland201 Posts
October 16 2010 12:14 GMT
#69
hes probably just used to casting his own daily's which is understandable. Day[9] is an awesome caster and although his co casting skills aren't 100% right now they will improve as he does it more.
Fast and Free
Jenslyn87
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark527 Posts
October 16 2010 12:15 GMT
#70
To some extent I agree... I still think he's an extremely entertaining and knowledgeable caster, but the OP does have a point
Hmmm, I wonder what terran is doiAAAAARGH BANSHEEEEES
d20
Profile Joined August 2010
United States17 Posts
October 16 2010 12:17 GMT
#71
Day[9] was a BroodWar pro and although not active in the SC2 pro scene, is almost assuredly a far better player than any of his co-casters. This provides him with more game sense and insight than whomever is casting with him. The best co-caster is someone who can tactfully and effortlessly save the other person from appearing unknowledgeable, and I believe his doing more than 50% of the talking is accomplishing that.

I think that the more experienced and knowledgeable about Starcraft his co-caster is, the more they will appear on equal footing in terms of casting.

Plott brothers co-casting in the future please. <33
kataa
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United Kingdom384 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-16 12:20:46
October 16 2010 12:18 GMT
#72
Personally when he's casting with people who know as little about SC as dApollo, Huskey and HD, I'm quite happy for him to never allow them to talk, ever. If this is in fact his ego, or just his nerdy insecurity, I don't give a damn. Day9 is actually informative and still funny and charismatic, he's like the child of Tastless and Artosis - which is kind of a creepy thing to say now that I think about it.

I still remember from last MLG, when HD admited he plays only about 'one game a week' and Day9 just spent the rest of the cast laughing at him off and on. Seriously, if you're going to comment on Starcraft, you should be passionate about the game, not passionate about your e-fame. Day9 is far less guilty of this than HD and Huskey.

Lennon
Profile Joined February 2010
United Kingdom2275 Posts
October 16 2010 12:19 GMT
#73
Everyone gets big-headed in the spotlight.
Day[9] is one of few who can actually keep it together legitimately.
Grond
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
599 Posts
October 16 2010 12:21 GMT
#74
Obviously the answer is to have Day 9 and Tasteless co-cast. Then any issues can be settled in the time honored brotherly tradition. Fisticuffs.
Emon_
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
3925 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-16 12:24:18
October 16 2010 12:21 GMT
#75
When JP or Apollo/Any other caster make 100 episodes detailing their SC knowledge and history, then this case can be made. Until then they stand in the shadow of Day9 unless their name is Artosis, Idra, Tasteless - you get the picture. If you're making the case that dApollo is on the same level as Day9 knowledge wise, I wanna see your evidence. Let the man do what he loves and spend more effort on the OP if you're going to criticize. Where are the examples? You read about one question from Carnac and decided to make a hen out of a feather.
"I know that human beings and fish can coexist peacefully" -GWB ||
Beyonder
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Netherlands15103 Posts
October 16 2010 12:22 GMT
#76
On October 16 2010 21:21 Grond wrote:
Obviously the answer is to have Day 9 and Tasteless co-cast. Then any issues can be settled in the time honored brotherly tradition. Fisticuffs.

Day9 and Tasteless are like Sasuke and Naruto. Someday, they will meet, and it will be epic.
Moderator
RainWhisper
Profile Joined May 2009
United Arab Emirates333 Posts
October 16 2010 12:23 GMT
#77
Call me an optimist or naive but i think Day9 not only loves the game and knows whats going on inside out, he also wants people watching to know whats going on. As he knows he is co casting, he tries to talk faster to let all that knowledge get to the viewers really fast, the fact that he talks faster shows that hes not TRYING to hog the mic, hes trying to get away with saying all that he wants to point out.
Hi can i get one McGracken please?
Special Endrey
Profile Joined June 2010
Germany1929 Posts
October 16 2010 12:23 GMT
#78
even tho he takes more time to say his stuff, itss till good, becasue he knows what hes talking about ... it would be too mechanical if in a co cast for example both players have around 50% talking time it would get boring quite fast have each person talking 30 seconds


i think its absolutly ok if casters dont have equal talking time, as long as they know what they are talking about / are entertaining the crowd
This signature is ruining eSports - -Twitter: @SpecialEndrey
MrSexington
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1768 Posts
October 16 2010 12:33 GMT
#79
I think it's a little bit of both.

He needs to do a better job with finding a balance with his co-casters. But sometimes his co-casters just aren't that good or maybe they're just not a good mix with him.

At Raleigh, HD and Husky looked very nervous. I think this was fine since it was their first time doing it live (and everyone has to start somewhere). They just didn't know how to carry a live show and fill in dead air time while dealing with the production crew. (That's what it seemed like anyway. I wasn't there.) And I'm not just talking about the times when they were paired with Day9. When they were together there were some really awkward pauses throughout, especially when there wasn't a game on.

TheGunrun at IEM was a different problem, I think. I didn't watch all of it, but from what little I watched there almost literally wasn't a single time he spoke up when the conversation didn't go something like this:

Day9: [blah blah blah]
TheGunrun: Yeah, [blah blah blah]. Definitely. Definitely.
TheGunrun: *chuckles*

Day9 would say something about the game, end on a joke or observation, and then pause for TheGunrun to jump in. TheGunrun would then just repeat that last little joke or observation, say, "yeah", "definitely", chuckle, or a combination of those three. You could tell that he was reaching for something more to add or he was reaching to add his own spin on a joke, but it just wasn't coming. And then Day9 would just jump back in.

Then again;

After watching the Tasteless video above, I wouldn't mind just having Day9 with a pretty girl with a cute voice co-casting with him.
mcc
Profile Joined October 2010
Czech Republic4646 Posts
October 16 2010 12:34 GMT
#80
On October 16 2010 20:21 Beyonder wrote:
I think I agree. I love the guy and I love it when he casts, but in my opinion he needs to switch between roles based upon his caster/co-caster. And his 'ah ah' and then total topic switches between what he wants to say are a bit awkward

Still such a great caster though, but there's some room for improvement


Concerning the 'ah ah', I think he does that mostly when he is doing some parallel stuff, like talking to the players in the lobby and similar, it is not easy to talk to two sets of people at the same time Sometimes it happens also while commenting the game when he gets into his thoughts about something new he never saw before and he seems to forget he is casting and starts to think about this new exciting intellectual problem. And he should work on this, but it happens reasonably rarely.

And yeah he seems to have small problem with taking the spotlight, but I don't think it is some ego thing, he just has to get used to his co-casters which is hard when it is someone else every event.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 59m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 723
UpATreeSC 120
JuggernautJason31
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18687
firebathero 168
Rush 125
Dewaltoss 100
Sexy 25
Bale 13
yabsab 11
Djem5 2
Dota 2
Gorgc8170
qojqva1404
monkeys_forever108
Counter-Strike
fl0m1534
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1847
crisheroes1130
Liquid`Hasu750
XaKoH 153
MindelVK14
Other Games
Grubby3321
summit1g2866
FrodaN765
Beastyqt719
ceh9567
byalli197
ArmadaUGS188
C9.Mang0165
KnowMe160
Hui .143
shahzam95
Mew2King65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV176
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream83
StarCraft 2
angryscii 0
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 14
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1580
League of Legends
• TFBlade1151
Other Games
• imaqtpie885
• WagamamaTV238
• Shiphtur205
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 59m
Stellar Fest
17h 59m
OSC
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 14h
Online Event
1d 15h
FEL
1d 20h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.