• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:42
CEST 08:42
KST 15:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7843 users

Spirit Tournament - Page 13

Forum Index > Brood War Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 25 Next All
Centric
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1989 Posts
September 11 2008 17:45 GMT
#241
On September 12 2008 02:15 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
I think if you hold a tourney where you invite someone to a different country it isn't the winners job to be a certain kind of person in order to do well. It is the job of the established, comfortable and domestic company to make it a welcoming experience for the person that is in a foreign country playing against superior players... so yeah, it was eSTRO's fault. Not greg's for being the person that he is.

Yeah, if everything you guys say is true, I completely agree. They hosted a tournament (albeit at the request of the company that owns them, I think) to bring the winner in. The responsibility to make that winner feel welcome and wanted was on eSTRO.
Super serious.
Quanticfograw
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States2053 Posts
September 11 2008 17:49 GMT
#242
Most of the koreans in high skilled teams on west are racist so this does not surprise me. It is sad that this carries into pro teams as well but it doese not shock me one bit. It's a shame Idra is somewhat a walkover it seems and never stood up for himself at all. I think he should adress this in the video because eSTRO seems to of benefited from him being there and they deserve some SERIOUS bad publicity for this and I really hope he adresses this racisim because I believe its one reason why foriegners have trouble reaching high levels like the koreans
https://twitter.com/quanticfograw
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
September 11 2008 17:58 GMT
#243
Sea and Savior were super friendly. Maybe Stork and Kal were racists. At least that's how I'm going to tell the story!
Moderator
BlackStar
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Netherlands3029 Posts
September 11 2008 17:59 GMT
#244
How is the next foreigner that goes to eStro going to deal with this? I mean, does someone like Nony or Cloud even want to go to a team like this and be ignored and forced to play on iccup instead?

I mean, are they really welcome or not? How can they invite a foreigner and then not allow them to play?
ZlyKiss
Profile Joined April 2006
Poland697 Posts
September 11 2008 17:59 GMT
#245
so you need to be a really charming person to be succesfull foreigner in Korea... a really common trait among computer nerds
aTnClouD
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Italy2428 Posts
September 11 2008 18:06 GMT
#246
On September 12 2008 02:59 BlackStar wrote:
How is the next foreigner that goes to eStro going to deal with this? I mean, does someone like Nony or Cloud even want to go to a team like this and be ignored and forced to play on iccup instead?

I mean, are they really welcome or not? How can they invite a foreigner and then not allow them to play?

If by any chance I get picked I don't mind whoever I play as long as I have the chance to participate in Courage, get a pro license and get into any serious korean tournament. I also wouldn't mind being ignored at first. You can just become much better playing other pros on iccup until they beg you to play them. And btw I seriously doubt their actitude towards Idra wasn't also due to the fact that guy might have some serious problems in social relations irl.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/hunter692007/kruemelmonsteryn0.gif
freshtowers
Profile Joined August 2008
Albania64 Posts
September 11 2008 18:45 GMT
#247
On September 12 2008 03:06 iG.ClouD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 12 2008 02:59 BlackStar wrote:
How is the next foreigner that goes to eStro going to deal with this? I mean, does someone like Nony or Cloud even want to go to a team like this and be ignored and forced to play on iccup instead?

I mean, are they really welcome or not? How can they invite a foreigner and then not allow them to play?

If by any chance I get picked I don't mind whoever I play as long as I have the chance to participate in Courage, get a pro license and get into any serious korean tournament. I also wouldn't mind being ignored at first. You can just become much better playing other pros on iccup until they beg you to play them. And btw I seriously doubt their actitude towards Idra wasn't also due to the fact that guy might have some serious problems in social relations irl.

If you play better opponents you improve faster. You suggest that idra should have just played iccup and improved slowly instead of complaining and getting to play with better players?
aTnClouD
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Italy2428 Posts
September 11 2008 18:51 GMT
#248
Improving in bw doesn't necessary mean playing exceptional opponents all day. You can also improve by thinking, having a rest, being more confident by the time goes and playing even people worse than you. This is called talent and it also goes along your relationals skills since you won't get anywhere if you suck at being nice with people, adapting at what they like, making they accept you and getting games. You can find an amazingly good amount of progamers on iCCup and at the highest level it's probably a much better training than the one given at most of the b teams houses.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/hunter692007/kruemelmonsteryn0.gif
HooHa!
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
United States688 Posts
September 11 2008 18:52 GMT
#249
If I was Idra I would make up a ton of usernames on the UDP connection and just confuse the other koreans and then get games that way.
Hoo Ra!
freshtowers
Profile Joined August 2008
Albania64 Posts
September 11 2008 18:55 GMT
#250
That's true but if you play better people you're definitely going to get more out of it regardless of talent. Idra was not just a regular player who joined the team. He can open up more relations for korea and he won a tournament before going there, he deserves special treatment and CJ is giving it by trying to get him to improve ASAP.
VIB
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Brazil3567 Posts
September 11 2008 18:55 GMT
#251
On September 12 2008 03:06 iG.ClouD wrote:
And btw I seriously doubt their actitude towards Idra wasn't also due to the fact that guy might have some serious problems in social relations irl.
As much as I wanted to optimistically believe in Incontrol. Unfortunally I think most people here will agree that ClouD is probably correct >< Just hope that the people they choose from spirit are a little nicer.
Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people.
freshtowers
Profile Joined August 2008
Albania64 Posts
September 11 2008 18:57 GMT
#252
On September 12 2008 03:55 VIB wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 12 2008 03:06 iG.ClouD wrote:
And btw I seriously doubt their actitude towards Idra wasn't also due to the fact that guy might have some serious problems in social relations irl.
As much as I wanted to optimistically believe in Incontrol. Unfortunally I think most people here will agree that ClouD is probably correct >< Just hope that the people they choose from spirit are a little nicer.
Even if this was true it still doesn't take away from the fact that he doesn't speak their language which makes it a little hard to talk to them.
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
September 11 2008 19:03 GMT
#253
On September 11 2008 23:39 Elsi wrote:
wrong flags for castro and fenix and handy lol

peruvian not bolivian!


This stems from the TSLD listing castro as bolivian... I tried to fix that mistake and accidentally changed all of the peruvian flags to bolivian.

If someone with the power to change castro's country reads this post, please fix the mistake.
ModeratorGood content always wins.
selboN
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States2523 Posts
September 11 2008 19:04 GMT
#254
...I just watched the Cloud vs Deska games.. Why is Deska in this? He didn't execute a decent build order in either game. Hell he should have just 4 pooled both games, atleast he could have had a chance of competing if Cloud scouted him last.. >.<;
"That's what happens when you're using a mouse made out of glass!" -Tasteless (Referring to ZergBong)
selboN
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States2523 Posts
September 11 2008 19:09 GMT
#255
On September 12 2008 02:15 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
I think if you hold a tourney where you invite someone to a different country it isn't the winners job to be a certain kind of person in order to do well. It is the job of the established, comfortable and domestic company to make it a welcoming experience for the person that is in a foreign country playing against superior players... so yeah, it was eSTRO's fault. Not greg's for being the person that he is.

I totally agree here. I'm just now getting to reading this thread, I had no idea this was going on. But I guess all of it follows up to TT1's post on gosugamers. He discussing how shady the koreans have always been to the foreigners and why are they changing their minds now? It goes into much more detail, but this shows it right here.
"That's what happens when you're using a mouse made out of glass!" -Tasteless (Referring to ZergBong)
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
September 11 2008 19:58 GMT
#256
They say the prize is "become a progamer" and I guess that is what ClouD described: go to Korea, be given most of your day to practice, and participate in Courage. I 100% believe that I, and other foreigners, could pass Courage by only playing on iCCup. But I really doubt that we'd only be playing on iCCup. And winning Courage isn't the only opportunity -- doing well in inner-team competitions and making contacts are also good ways to forge a path. It's a great opportunity and I would definitely go.

But I have to say that if I were any worse at BW, I'd definitely be nervous about going. The Spirit Tournament is just a stepping stone and participants need to be ready for the next step. Winning Spirit isn't "making it" as a progamer. That's why we always have to wait a good 6 months every time a foreigner goes to Korea in order to see if they're going to make it to the next step. I'll make it! Pick me!
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
September 11 2008 20:02 GMT
#257
How often do you integrate foreign students at your school etc into your activities? Being in Idra's position is lonely as hell. Once the novelty fades I would probably just want to go home and be with my friends instead of people who don't speak my language and can't be bothered to constantly put in the effort required to keep me involved in things.

Add on top of that Idra isn't exactly a social butterfly from the interviews we've seen. Even his roommates at college who were interviewed about him leaving knew absolutely nothing about him, and these people spoke his language.

I can understand if he was some star player being brought in that can do something for the team, but that's not the reality. He has to work hard just to become competitive with the team, and he's not going to lead Estro on all-kills. The entire concept of bringing foreigners to korea to play is a huge gimmick in itself, and it probably grows old for both parties before long.

Even the outside interest and buzz can't really be there because Idra is so detached from absolutely everything. In every interview you have to coax words out of him, how is he supposed to gain fans?

It's like all the anime obsessed people who think they will move to Japan and their white skin will be such a novelty that the Japanese won't be able to get enough of them and they'll somehow gain acceptance in a completely foreign environment when they couldn't do it on their home soil?

Calling an entire team racists when the social integration falls short by both parties is extremely ignorant. I don't think there's really blame to be put on anyone, it's just a really awkward situation.
gentile
Profile Joined August 2007
Switzerland594 Posts
September 11 2008 20:04 GMT
#258
i pick fenix over you soo sorry nony
Juanpe
Profile Joined May 2008
Uruguay283 Posts
September 11 2008 20:12 GMT
#259
Plz Spirit Tournament, pick:

1º Nony
2º Jian Carlo
3º Cloud

C+ rank Terran training harder every day to be like ChinaTTTT :D~ Lee Jae Dong phan o(∩_∩)o <3 <3 <3
IoNiC
Profile Joined September 2008
United States17 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-09-12 00:26:43
September 12 2008 00:25 GMT
#260
no your so wrong juanpe, this is the order of the top 3 and bottom 3

1.) DeSka
2.) Machine
3.) G5

14.) CaStrO
15.) ClouD
16.) NoNy


(on backwards day)
2 in the pink 1 in the stink
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 25 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4397
Leta 1864
Shuttle 1496
ZergMaN 56
sorry 54
Shine 41
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm234
League of Legends
JimRising 627
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King65
Other Games
summit1g7431
WinterStarcraft678
Sick168
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick519
BasetradeTV223
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 22
• Letter1418
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2217
League of Legends
• Rush1143
• Lourlo1130
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 18m
Patches Events
8h 18m
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 18m
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 18m
OSC
16h 18m
OSC
1d 5h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.