• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:44
CEST 01:44
KST 08:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8545 users

[G] Gosuface's guide to Protoss Hotkeys - Page 2

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
StylishVODs
Profile Joined December 2005
Sweden5331 Posts
April 24 2009 07:05 GMT
#21
On April 24 2009 16:02 Oystein wrote:
I don`t do anything similar to the way you do it....
I never use F keys or ALT either, and I do scroll all the time. In fact im pretty much doing the opposite of what your suggesting all the time


You should start using the F keys alot. My guess is that it will improve your play immensely pretty fast, and since you're already pretty good thats awesome^^
According to Reach, he is the fastest learner he has ever seen. He start bw only like 2/3 years ago. Infact, his bw history knowledge is so limited, he didn't even know what the map Guillotine was.
Oystein
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Norway1602 Posts
April 24 2009 07:34 GMT
#22
On April 24 2009 16:05 StylishVODs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2009 16:02 Oystein wrote:
I don`t do anything similar to the way you do it....
I never use F keys or ALT either, and I do scroll all the time. In fact im pretty much doing the opposite of what your suggesting all the time


You should start using the F keys alot. My guess is that it will improve your play immensely pretty fast, and since you're already pretty good thats awesome^^

Yeah I know, iv tried a few times, but it feels so awkward to use them that I always give up on it after a game or 2. In general I don`t use my left hand very much when I play. Mostly just for moving my army and making units (while I select all the buildings with my mouse manually). My left hand just have an awful dexterity and I am the biggest right hand user I know of, like I can`t do shit with my left hand, say I have a glass or bottle or whatever on my left side I will move it to my right hand to drink from it
God Hates a Coward
StylishVODs
Profile Joined December 2005
Sweden5331 Posts
April 24 2009 07:37 GMT
#23
lol ok;) I wish i wasn't using my left hand so much, gives sooooo much room for improvement.
According to Reach, he is the fastest learner he has ever seen. He start bw only like 2/3 years ago. Infact, his bw history knowledge is so limited, he didn't even know what the map Guillotine was.
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
April 24 2009 07:46 GMT
#24
looks riped from tasteless blog and day podcasts=P still nice of course
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
April 24 2009 08:55 GMT
#25
I don't trust my pinky for anything except shift and ctrl.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
StylishVODs
Profile Joined December 2005
Sweden5331 Posts
April 24 2009 08:58 GMT
#26
On April 24 2009 17:55 CharlieMurphy wrote:
I don't trust my pinky for anything except shift and ctrl.


use it for "a" aswell its awesome.
According to Reach, he is the fastest learner he has ever seen. He start bw only like 2/3 years ago. Infact, his bw history knowledge is so limited, he didn't even know what the map Guillotine was.
-_-
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States7081 Posts
April 24 2009 12:45 GMT
#27
On April 24 2009 16:34 Oystein wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2009 16:05 StylishVODs wrote:
On April 24 2009 16:02 Oystein wrote:
I don`t do anything similar to the way you do it....
I never use F keys or ALT either, and I do scroll all the time. In fact im pretty much doing the opposite of what your suggesting all the time


You should start using the F keys alot. My guess is that it will improve your play immensely pretty fast, and since you're already pretty good thats awesome^^

Yeah I know, iv tried a few times, but it feels so awkward to use them that I always give up on it after a game or 2. In general I don`t use my left hand very much when I play. Mostly just for moving my army and making units (while I select all the buildings with my mouse manually). My left hand just have an awful dexterity and I am the biggest right hand user I know of, like I can`t do shit with my left hand, say I have a glass or bottle or whatever on my left side I will move it to my right hand to drink from it



Wow. I would honestly try to start using your left hand 10x more for like 3 weeks. And I bet you'd move up in skill massively
gumbum8
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States721 Posts
April 24 2009 13:08 GMT
#28
I love my left hand
But i think hand placement is really just preference. a millisecond, as much as we would like to believe it's that important, really isn't. I didn't even know you could do alt+hotkey, but all my hatches are hotkeyed, soo...
but really, has anyone REALLY been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-24 15:48:19
April 24 2009 14:41 GMT
#29
"I have no idea why people don't hk nexus to 09 explain it to me. I don't think they do. I've argued this a million times. Nobody has ever explained why."

Ok, it is simply a fact that bisu, janbi, kal, best, stork, pusan, do not use nexus on 098. free and much seem to use those keys sometimes to build probes, but it is not their main nexus key. Now the only thing is to find out why, and if it is more than simply preference. Here are some thoughts:

1) Your way you have two diff rent hand positions 'economy' to 'units' and have to switch between them. My way, you are not reaching all across the keyboard to switch positions constantly. If you look at it, the economy position is basically only good for building probes, and it does do that well. The point is if it is worth it. With nexus on 4, you only occasionally stretch to far numbers or p.
2)With nexus on 4 building probes with 4p as keys is only a stretch to hit p. With your two setups you have to constantly stretch between economy and units, so what is the difference anyway? It is easier to hit 1144 than 1100 to fly between nexus and units to check on them, but you have to be pretty accurate to hit 4 with index then p with index quickly. With 0p it is somewhat easier to build probes since 0 is close to p.
3) the difference between hitting 4key + use mouse to hit probe icon vs. using hand for 0-p or 4-p is negligible. Similar to how 55clickgoon66clickgoon77clickgoon vs 55d66d77d is.

Overall I would recommend something like janbi's 1for nexus and f2 for nat, or Bisus 4for nexus and f4for nat. But, not like it matters that much.

Also now that I I am in a game I realize it thumb index is annoying for bg also because thumb is just obnoxious and it is easy to hit space bar with thumb. Do index on b and middle on g.
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
Inzek
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Chile802 Posts
April 24 2009 16:10 GMT
#30
i found funny how his drawing get better while the guide goes on..
Stork FAN!!!
Nytefish
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United Kingdom4282 Posts
April 24 2009 16:48 GMT
#31
I prefer F2 gates, F3 some nexus F4 some other nexus (main/natural early game, change them later). I don't usually find myself needing to rally a lot of gateways at once, but running workers or transferring them happens all the time.

This is the first time I've heard of using the alt key, but I could see myself hitting alt+f4, alt+q or alt+tab accidentally so I think I'll pass on that.

One thing that really helps me in PvZ is to hotkey templars to 4, 5, 6, 7. Since I have F2 for gateways anyway and units on 1,2,3.
No I'm never serious.
-_-
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States7081 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-24 17:06:55
April 24 2009 17:05 GMT
#32
On April 24 2009 23:41 Knickknack wrote:
"I have no idea why people don't hk nexus to 09 explain it to me. I don't think they do. I've argued this a million times. Nobody has ever explained why."

Ok, it is simply a fact that bisu, janbi, kal, best, stork, pusan, do not use nexus on 098. free and much seem to use those keys sometimes to build probes, but it is not their main nexus key. Now the only thing is to find out why, and if it is more than simply preference. Here are some thoughts:

1) Your way you have two diff rent hand positions 'economy' to 'units' and have to switch between them. My way, you are not reaching all across the keyboard to switch positions constantly. If you look at it, the economy position is basically only good for building probes, and it does do that well. The point is if it is worth it. With nexus on 4, you only occasionally stretch to far numbers or p.
2)With nexus on 4 building probes with 4p as keys is only a stretch to hit p. With your two setups you have to constantly stretch between economy and units, so what is the difference anyway? It is easier to hit 1144 than 1100 to fly between nexus and units to check on them, but you have to be pretty accurate to hit 4 with index then p with index quickly. With 0p it is somewhat easier to build probes since 0 is close to p.
3) the difference between hitting 4key + use mouse to hit probe icon vs. using hand for 0-p or 4-p is negligible. Similar to how 55clickgoon66clickgoon77clickgoon vs 55d66d77d is.

Overall I would recommend something like janbi's 1for nexus and f2 for nat, or Bisus 4for nexus and f4for nat. But, not like it matters that much.

Also now that I I am in a game I realize it thumb index is annoying for bg also because thumb is just obnoxious and it is easy to hit space bar with thumb. Do index on b and middle on g.


I'll disagree w/ 3. I bet I could do a time test.

2 & 1

hmmm I see what you mean...


Give me your whole hk setup from 1-0 so I can think about. I see some problems... but I can't be sure until I know your setup.


@ Nytefish rip out all those keys. Read mylosttemples pro keyboard guide. Basically, buy a 10$ keyboard and take out those keys.
Nytefish
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United Kingdom4282 Posts
April 24 2009 17:33 GMT
#33
It's quite hard to switch peripherals on my desktop computer, so I'd rather not.

It would be interesting to know how many progamers use the alt or space bar key.
No I'm never serious.
Racenilatr
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2756 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-24 19:01:03
April 24 2009 19:00 GMT
#34
I really have to disagree that Pressing alt and then a number is faster then double clicking.
1. If what you mean is alt+0 to get to your nexus, than theres no diference in that and pressing 00
2. If you just press alt and it goes somewhere, it might be a bit more useful, but still it will save you .000001 second to move.

I'm pretty sure no progamers use the alt and spacebar because they can move their hands fast enough. If you don't have to think about where you move your hands while playing, you are all set tbh and it will become one with your mind
Equinox_kr
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States7395 Posts
April 24 2009 19:11 GMT
#35
Interesting guide, I never really used my pinky + ring finger too much but now I'm gonna incorporate them more. :D
^-^
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
April 24 2009 20:06 GMT
#36
I disagree with the majority of your positions. Ring on 1 and pinky on a seems incredible jammed, especially if you are trying to line up middle and index as well.

Also, refering to it as your "retard" finger surely kills a lot of your credibility.
Moderator
TT1
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada10090 Posts
April 24 2009 20:51 GMT
#37
the only keys i use on my keyboard are the letters for the buildings/unit commands, shift to add units in my unit group + using shift for probes after they do an action so they come back automaticly and ctrl 1 - 0 for units only, i manually come back to my gates when i want to produce
ab = tl(i) + tl(pc), the grand answer to every tl.net debate
SChasu
Profile Joined October 2003
United States1505 Posts
April 24 2009 20:58 GMT
#38
left handed toss ftw...
totalbiscuit is awful at casting.
Racenilatr
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2756 Posts
April 24 2009 21:14 GMT
#39
I tried using the F keys for probe production. If I can get used to it from my instinct to 0p9p8p than it will be beneficial to me. It really does improve multitasking despite being oddly placed on the computer. You have to have high apm though because someone with 150 probably will fail at using F keys for probe production
sushiman
Profile Joined September 2003
Sweden2691 Posts
April 24 2009 21:30 GMT
#40
Using alt seems totally pointless. Not only does double tapping take like 0.05 seconds longer than a single tap, but if you like me have alt on the right side of the windows key, you'll have to twist your hands really awkwardly. And the windows key is the other problem - if you are quickly switching from the left hand to the right hand side of the keyboard, you run the risk of tabbing out of the game for hardly any gain whatsoever.
A lot of these things depends solely on how long your fingers are and how your keyboard looks anyway, so you can't standardize them.
1000 at least.
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings48
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta26
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 146
ViBE144
ProTech134
SpeCial 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13812
Artosis 538
PianO 28
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm138
canceldota129
League of Legends
Doublelift3976
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1621
minikerr15
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe126
Other Games
summit1g7761
shahzam611
Day[9].tv451
C9.Mang0386
Maynarde86
Trikslyr60
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV134
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 50
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP28
• RyuSc2 25
• Response 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1008
• Shiphtur582
• Day9tv451
Upcoming Events
OSC
23h 16m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 10h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 17h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 19h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.