• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:30
CEST 23:30
KST 06:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10075 users

[G] PvT Guide - Page 2

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
ScarFace
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1175 Posts
October 24 2008 02:21 GMT
#21
Don't be so modest salv, this guide is incredibly good. It is easily deserved of being in the strategy section, and the recommended thread section for protoss guides- god knows we are starved, when was the last guide from? 2006?

Hopefully you do a pvz and pvp guide, but this looks like really hard work, so just thanks a lot for the guide. If you happen to do more...thanks even more!
Can you dig it?
YPang
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States4024 Posts
October 24 2008 02:36 GMT
#22
On October 24 2008 11:18 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 24 2008 10:58 YPang wrote:
i'll constantly bump this thread so it gets the attention it deserves. xd

This is a ploy to increase your post count! Sneaky :o


in 2 days i'll beat your post count with 5 stars and a trophy!
sMi.Gladstone | BW: B high| SC2: gold T_T
YPang
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States4024 Posts
October 24 2008 03:03 GMT
#23
for the "2 gate goon; aggresive style" I think it may even be possible to scout with the goon, and not scout with probe at all because on a large map like python, if you scout late and dont get in thier base, its pointless all you see is marines just like you would when u scout with a goon.
sMi.Gladstone | BW: B high| SC2: gold T_T
Salv
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Canada3083 Posts
October 24 2008 03:16 GMT
#24
On October 24 2008 11:21 ScarFace wrote:
Hopefully you do a pvz and pvp guide, but this looks like really hard work, so just thanks a lot for the guide. If you happen to do more...thanks even more!



Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. It took a while to do, but I fully intend on making a PvP and PvZ one at some time.
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
October 24 2008 22:24 GMT
#25
Bump, moved to strategy.
Moderator
Shauni
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
4077 Posts
October 24 2008 22:52 GMT
#26
Good guide. A few things I'd like to point out though.

Arbiters are often done on 2 bases. I do it all the time on certain maps. Lately I've also been playing a lot on 2 base until they are mined out, trying to cut off every third base Terran does while recalling / forcing him to massturret and so on. I know it's not as standard as earlier third, but I find myself a lot more successful with staying on two. That way you never give away map control to terran, which you are forced to do if you 3 base. But yeah, it doesn't work on maps like Othello where 3rd is so easy to take.
I'm taking whatever coverage I can get, because frankly, I'm busy working on this million dollar deal at my job. Early retirement is a good thing brotha man. - MessengerASL
foodontable
Profile Joined June 2006
China341 Posts
October 24 2008 23:12 GMT
#27
Wow this is a really in depth guide. I will definitely read this in my spare time. I can't imagine how much time you spent on this... hardcore. Hopefully I'll be able to improve after reading this. Thanks for the awesome guide!
CDRdude
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States5625 Posts
October 24 2008 23:23 GMT
#28
I don't play P, or T for that matter, but I'm glad the strategy forum has an awesome new guide. Great work!
Force staff is the best item in the game.
Twilight_Templar
Profile Joined October 2008
United States11 Posts
October 25 2008 00:31 GMT
#29
great guide, its really helpful i was actually wondering if there would ever be a protoss guide
"I can't find my DTs!"
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
October 25 2008 01:22 GMT
#30
AMAZING guide, even though I'm a T player.

And welcome to TL (posting at least) Twilight_Templar.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
parkin
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
1091 Posts
October 25 2008 03:03 GMT
#31
Very good guide. Deserves to be in Recommended Threads imo.
mostly harmless
Salv
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Canada3083 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-25 03:47:51
October 25 2008 03:47 GMT
#32
On October 25 2008 07:52 Shauni wrote:
Good guide. A few things I'd like to point out though.

Arbiters are often done on 2 bases. I do it all the time on certain maps. Lately I've also been playing a lot on 2 base until they are mined out, trying to cut off every third base Terran does while recalling / forcing him to massturret and so on. I know it's not as standard as earlier third, but I find myself a lot more successful with staying on two. That way you never give away map control to terran, which you are forced to do if you 3 base. But yeah, it doesn't work on maps like Othello where 3rd is so easy to take.



Yeah, this is true and Cloud often does this I think? When you do it off three gas, I often get my arbiters out just as their push is nearing my base, so it works out pretty well. Can't deny the viability of two base though.

EDIT: BTW thanks for all the positive responses everyone, I was hesitant to post this here because I didn't know if anyone would like it ^_^
Raithed
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
China7078 Posts
October 25 2008 04:26 GMT
#33
for the 2 gate goon slower tech i still do 11 assim. hm.
LastWish
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
2015 Posts
October 25 2008 12:57 GMT
#34
Very good, this is really what I've been missing.

Though I cannot agree on shields, they are overexpensive and do less than armor, because all units(except archons - and they are not used) have more HP than shields.
Armor however is only useful vs goliaths, so that's why you probably don't need upgrading it right away.
- It's all just treason - They bring me down with their lies - Don't know the reason - My life is fire and ice -
Salv
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Canada3083 Posts
October 25 2008 15:38 GMT
#35
I suppose it's a matter of preference or perhaps you are right and armor is better. However, what I didn't mention was that I most likely also do this because it jives with my PvZ ups. Where I get +1 weapon and +1 shields from two forges before doing armor.
ScarFace
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States1175 Posts
October 25 2008 16:19 GMT
#36
Hey Chill or someone, you should probably add this to recommended threads for pvt guides.
Can you dig it?
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
October 25 2008 17:52 GMT
#37
This is great, thanks. I look forward to one on PvP and PvZ.
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-25 22:02:15
October 25 2008 19:11 GMT
#38
Always appreciate guides. Good presentation, writing, etc. A lot of it could have been summed up more neatly though.
btw did you want a strengths/weakness section for hard 2gate goon? I was expecting to see "- worse economy" here since you put "+good economy" for the other two.

Of course same issue as most guides in that if they suck at macro/build efficiency they will have major problems anyway and this will hardly help them. You lay out a basic plan well enough but I think you give hardly any attention to timing.

Anyway, to sum up your scouting reaction:
base: 8p,10gate,12assim,14core,15p,17goon,20range, 21goon, 24p...
see all scv on gas - add +2gate (no robo) expo after 6 goon.
see some scv off gas - 1gate (no robo) expo after 3 goon..."continue as normal".
see nothing much - add +1gate at 20-25psi, then robo, expo after 6-8goon.

That was not stated so clearly and there is discrepancy between your game plan and your builds orders section which is why it took me so long to work though this. You have "1 gate goon / tech", but when do you ever go robo off of one gate? From reading I see your opening build plan is +2gateways, or expand in a bit. Then "2 gate goon - slower tech" is basically what you do when you have no clue, and that is +1gate before robo. The thing to note here is that if you see terrans scv count on gas it will be before the time to build a robo...that is why based on what you write i never see you going 1gate robo.

I find your build plan a bit odd. The main thing being 6gateway before 3rd nexus yet you want to call this a three base build. To keep 6gateways pumping and probes pumping requires a lot of money...and so rather late expo. You do say to stop unit production for a nexus, but how about not building so many gates to begin with? Your BO for midgame is hazy to me and does not make sense to me regarding efficiency/timing. Reps could clear this up.

There is many small things to comment on such as "Suicide a probe to his ramp" Ever see anyone good do this? Uh how about just letting a goon take some hits to see what it can see. Anyway I'll leave it here. Might seem harsh, but who else is going to point this stuff out. Again, appreciate it.

==========================

Ok, I have a problem not just simplifying things but dumbing them down.
Hmm... I suppose your guide will not change to reflect what I have pointed out...oh well.

At least get this bit straight...
"who like I said I wrote assuming would be D, D+, C- level"
"The way this is written, it's assumes that the reader is around C+ level or so.'
"The ideal goal would for this guide to be a complete handbook for Protoss from D- to B- level"
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
Salv
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Canada3083 Posts
October 25 2008 20:45 GMT
#39
On October 26 2008 04:11 Knickknack wrote:
Always appreciate guides. Good presentation, writing, etc. A lot of it could have been summed up more neatly though.
btw did you want a strengths/weakness section for hard 2gate goon? I was expecting to see "- worse economy" here since you put "+good economy" for the other two.

Of course same issue as most guides in that if they suck at macro/build efficiency they will have major problems anyway and this will hardly help them. You lay out a basic plan well enough but I think you give hardly any attention to timing.

Anyway, to sum up your scouting reaction:
base: 8p,10gate,12assim,14core,15p,17goon,20range, 21goon, 24p...
see all scv on gas - add +2gate (no robo) expo after 6 goon.
see some scv off gas - 1gate (no robo) expo after 3 goon..."continue as normal".
see nothing much - add +1gate at 20-25psi, then robo, expo after 6-8goon.

That was not stated so clearly and there is discrepancy between your game plan and your builds orders section which is why it took me so long to work though this. You have "1 gate goon / tech", but when do you ever go robo off of one gate? From reading I see your opening build plan is +2gateways, or expand in a bit. Then "2 gate goon - slower tech" is basically what you do when you have no clue, and that is +1gate before robo. The thing to note here is that if you see terrans scv count on gas it will be before the time to build a robo...that is why based on what you write i never see you going 1gate robo.

I find your build plan a bit odd. The main thing being 6gateway before 3rd nexus yet you want to call this a three base build. To keep 6gateways pumping and probes pumping requires a lot of money...and so rather late expo. You do say to stop unit production for a nexus, but how about not building so many gates to begin with? Your BO for midgame is hazy to me and does not make sense to me regarding efficiency/timing. Reps could clear this up.

There is many small things to comment on such as "Suicide a probe to his ramp" Ever see anyone good do this? Uh how about just letting a goon take some hits to see what it can see. Anyway I'll leave it here. Might seem harsh, but who else is going to point this stuff out. Again, appreciate it.


Your right and I guess I never really made this clear; I didn't make this guide for TL, it was originally for a different site with mostly D, D+ players. I didn't intend for this guide to show you best way to play PvT, it was a guide for improving. I am aware six gateways before your third base isn't effective, but it will help people who have a hard time stalling a Terran push. Once their macro is better, than they can switch to one gate robo, expo, two more gate, third base and than going from there.

What I'm saying is, I am aware that there are many wrongs things stated in the guide; but I purposely wrote it that way because I feel that it will help the reader (who like I said I wrote assuming would be D, D+, C- level) improve themselves. Thank you for the corrections you wrote, but you should direct them at the readers, not me; for I already know.
BlinkNudie
Profile Joined May 2008
Malaysia49 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-10-26 14:32:56
October 26 2008 14:30 GMT
#40
I dont skim it, I read it although I'm a T player I suck vsP's thats why I'm trying to learn

Thanks for the great guide, i read it before in sc2gg =)
=)~ Newbie
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 60
JuggernautJason53
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 619
firebathero 79
Zeus 64
910 29
Dota 2
monkeys_forever401
League of Legends
JimRising 119
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS119
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5279
Liquid`Hasu1991
Other Games
summit1g6259
shahzam471
byalli390
C9.Mang0183
KnowMe102
UpATreeSC72
Trikslyr34
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream160
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 88
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 54
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 31m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 31m
Stellar Fest
15h 31m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.