• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:40
CEST 00:40
KST 07:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8383 users

[G] Hydra ZvZ: An Introduction - Page 3

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
May 09 2012 06:14 GMT
#41
If it means anything to people, Day[9] used hydras successfully at A- a few years ago.

Hydras really are an overlooked option. Early game the timing and lack of scouting make it difficult to find your footing, but hydra armies are incredibly difficult to face once they build up any kind of significant force, not to mention that casters affect mutas much worse than they do hydras.

I still remember my first ladder experience against hydras back on WGT... roughly a decade ago now. I just couldn't understand how my gazillion speedlings could just MELT against several control groups of hydras. Midgame a ling/muta user really has to focus on harassment and in order to face a hydra army head-on, outstanding flanking with ling and muta in combination is absolutely critical.
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
May 09 2012 06:53 GMT
#42
On May 09 2012 15:14 Mortality wrote:
If it means anything to people, Day[9] used hydras successfully at A- a few years ago.

Hydras really are an overlooked option. Early game the timing and lack of scouting make it difficult to find your footing, but hydra armies are incredibly difficult to face once they build up any kind of significant force, not to mention that casters affect mutas much worse than they do hydras.

I still remember my first ladder experience against hydras back on WGT... roughly a decade ago now. I just couldn't understand how my gazillion speedlings could just MELT against several control groups of hydras. Midgame a ling/muta user really has to focus on harassment and in order to face a hydra army head-on, outstanding flanking with ling and muta in combination is absolutely critical.

typically, an all zergling against hydralisk, you should end up with about 3-4 zerglings for every hydra.
If your 252-336 zerglings are dying to his 84 hydralisks, then something is seriously wrong.
☺
dRaW
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada5744 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-09 15:48:05
May 09 2012 15:47 GMT
#43
On May 09 2012 00:12 Chef wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 08 2012 13:49 dRaW wrote:
On May 07 2012 15:58 gutshot wrote:
On May 07 2012 15:42 Chef wrote:
Watch Satanik's replays. Do you know who he is? Those are not even old replays, and they are against extremely good players, not even nooby iccupers but gosus.

My games were at the C level, I didn't bother to keep playing because I got bored of iCCup. This guide would obviously not be sufficiently thorough enough to work vs B level players, but I know that Satanik is easily better than B and playing people better than B That's all the defence I will give for this, because I don't know if it would be good against the very top level of pros, but I know a lot of people don't like playing ZvZ, don't understand it very well, so it definitely works at better than low levels if low levels means D+ Every player in these replays is getting their 3rd, but it is not giving them an edge. I would advice the satanik replays as they are very high level.

actually I would give Satanik more credit if the replays were old ones.
recent B players are not the B players from 2~3 years ago, more like C players back then since all the koreans/good players left iCCup. some of the B/B+ players nowadays seems to have severe lack of knowledge/game sense (thats including me) and I find some ridiculous strategies still work vs them often enough. I'm not calling hydras ZvZ ridiculous, but given same skill level mutaling will always dominate hydras and the different variations from it.


I agree, I have to completely throw the game to even lose in the B+ level for the past few seasons (hence multiple A- accounts with 9 to 20 losses) If these BOs worked in fish I would be more surprised as well.

edit: although nice write-up / strategy in general

zz one of the games in his replay pack was him beating you zvp pretty easily. He expressed discontent with the quality of players on iccup too, but that discontent was from players being too predictable.


I recall I was inactive lots of that season, I've beaten plenty of better zergs than him btw so I don't really care about it

also, we were talking about the validity of the build in zvz, not that he can win a zvp
I don't need luck, luck is for noobs, good luck to you though
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
May 09 2012 17:03 GMT
#44
hahaha
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
May 09 2012 18:56 GMT
#45
Don't laugh, he's beaten + Show Spoiler +
1a2a3a :p
Even though he has a point, that pretty much doesn't mean anything. But hey, you'll notice the best player who have posted in this thread seem to like your build so, overall nice guide =)
I have in fact once won a game against hydra zvz, it was really close and fun =)
Won't use it cause I make enough hydras in ZvP and I love muta/ling micro, but I sure hope more people try it.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
3FFA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States3931 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-09 20:41:41
May 09 2012 20:03 GMT
#46
I finally got a chance to sit down and read this guide but I realized how far behind my original post was so I think I'll post here so it is seen. I'm gonna edit any comments or questions in here.

1) I fully agree with the intro. As a part-time Chess player and part-time Star Craft player I always study if I can. I've been searching for guides though, not replays unless linked from the guide itself. Hmm... might be a good idea. ^^

2) Question:
24 colony... Get this too. Most Zergs build a lot of lings even when rushing to mutas, and you don't wanna be caught with your pants down.

Where do I put this? In my main in case they successfully run-by me? In my nat? Over near where I expect to make a Spore Colony? You really weren't clear here unlike you were just beforehand.

3) Question: When I pull drones to defend against an attack, exactly how many? 2? 3? 4?

4) Question: How does this fair against Kau's Proxy Hatch? How do you react?

5)@14 or so creep colonies you should probably edit that Lair pic :p

6) Thanks for this! I will totally try this out after looking at a good 2-4 replays and then look at more after I(most likely) lose :p.

7)@your responses on this first page you actually make me more wanting to try out the build because of just how fiercely your defended it and with such determination. Along with the 2nd/3rd response where you said things like if the opponent is used to your hydras you go mutas, and if they are droning a lot you go mass speedling. Chef, never change
"As long as it comes from a pure place and from a honest place, you know, you can write whatever you want."
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-09 20:07:39
May 09 2012 20:05 GMT
#47
Well, the guide is more a basis for how to learn a build when you have a few replays. I get the feeling post of the replys tho have not read the OP and are just reacting to the BO / unit composition.

I could make a guide on how to TvZ nuke rush off one base using HiyA's replays and get about the same responses. Ya, it might not be something you want to do to maximize results vs people who practice 10 hours a day, but it sure looks cool when you do it vs other amateurs and makes the game more interesting. It doesn't mean it's a noob strategy or that it hasn't been well thought out.. lord knows going weird unit compositions and strategies often have a tonne of vulnerabilities you need to account for and develop the strategy on. I think it's silly to say the obvious that standard is more practical / stable... because obv it is, that's why it's standard. I would love a guide on good standard play, but most foreigners don't know how to play it and I'm not terribly interested in putting the effort into studying it from scratch myself.

@FFA, that third sunken goes at your nat. Use lings and drones to prevent a runby if it becomes an issue. If they get one or two lings thru due to some scrappy early play, hope they're weakened enough and you have good drone micro to finish them like in a normal zvz. There isn't really any point in keeping one in your main tbh.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
3FFA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States3931 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-09 20:15:00
May 09 2012 20:14 GMT
#48
Thanks for the fast reply! I had a feeling there wouldn't be a point to it but I felt like throwing it out there since although I main Protoss I have always wanted to try ZvZ with Hydras ever since I tried 5 ZvZs all ending in dieing to either the early lings or the early mutas. Basically, I am a noob to ZvZ ^.^
"As long as it comes from a pure place and from a honest place, you know, you can write whatever you want."
gutshot
Profile Joined February 2011
United States429 Posts
May 10 2012 06:39 GMT
#49
yes It is a viable build at the end, I just wanted to point out that mutas are pretty good. good write up, hope to see some hydras from future tournaments.
sCCrooked
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Korea (South)1306 Posts
May 10 2012 06:54 GMT
#50
On May 10 2012 15:39 gutshot wrote:
yes It is a viable build at the end, I just wanted to point out that mutas are pretty good. good write up, hope to see some hydras from future tournaments.


This now makes 3 A-/A rank Zergs saying this is good. Michael, you think you could show us a bit of this on fish the next time you stream? I'd love to see an FPVOD of a fish C pulling this off. Would be unreal as reference material for the OP.
Enlightened in an age of anti-intellectualism and quotidian repetitiveness of asinine assumptive thinking. Best lycan guide evar --> "Fixing solo queue all pick one game at a time." ~KwarK-
iloveav
Profile Joined November 2008
Poland1483 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-10 11:00:21
May 10 2012 10:59 GMT
#51
While i agree that this is totally possible and doable, Its a way of playing for "fun". On competitive level, this "should" not work.
What im trying to say is that it works if you enemy mess up or you re far better.

Satanik has a great knowledge of this game. Most of the other players dont.

Hydra builds are simply a lot harder to pull off, becouse you have to take judgement calls that are more complicated, like when to atack, with how much, on what location. Mutas are far easier in this matter.

Finally, due to the fact that this build is rearly used, it has the potential to catch you enemy off guard, and beat him. however, dont count on it to work vsn expirienced player.
aka LRM)Cats_Paw.
sCCrooked
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Korea (South)1306 Posts
May 10 2012 14:07 GMT
#52
Perhaps you could play vs Michael or Baku then. One of you using this build, the other using a more "standard" muta/ling build. It would be wonderful example material for us to draw off of to determine how viable this still is at the modern B/B+/A-/A level.
Enlightened in an age of anti-intellectualism and quotidian repetitiveness of asinine assumptive thinking. Best lycan guide evar --> "Fixing solo queue all pick one game at a time." ~KwarK-
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
May 10 2012 14:51 GMT
#53
I've only seen Bakuryu play twice, and both of them he went hydra zvz lol. ISL or something when I wanted to see what the quality of production was for it.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
wcr.4fun
Profile Joined April 2012
Belgium686 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-10 16:49:52
May 10 2012 16:01 GMT
#54
I think this is a very cool strategy, I love hydra's. They're one of my favourite units because they're just so damn awesome.

I watched the first replay of satanic zvz's. I'm sure from what you described etc that a lot of adaptations can be used, but the 'salandar' guy just did not adapt to what he saw. He sees a zerg put up 14 colonys (spores + sunken) and even has a ling contain on the guy for 10 minutes. He takes his natural really late and takes a third after 10 minutes. That seems like really weak decision making.

I'm going to try this strategy though, because I simply love hydra's.

third game; the orange zerg had the correct response. But wrong unit composition; he morphes guardians after he spots a lot of devourers? And a good flank with links could do wonders. But as you've said, If I'd encounter this strategy I'd probably do the same as orange but just go mass hydras and muta's (and morph into devourers if needed).

I thought about ultra's, but I speculate they're weak vs mass hydras. Defiler tech could be useful but then you'd need a lot of lings and if he has lurkers out, the lings still get raped under the swarm and you'll have cast swarm over his hydra's vs your muta's. Plague might be usefull. Guardians are too slow and not good in open battles.

But I think the orange zerg made the correct decision making (besides unit composition). And maybe get those first few muta's out faster to kill some ovies + scout (so he could have spot the spire tech quicker) and make him think you're massing muta's.
gutshot
Profile Joined February 2011
United States429 Posts
May 10 2012 17:08 GMT
#55
really? I have never seen Bakuryu going for hydras
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
May 10 2012 17:12 GMT
#56
chef was above D level?
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
May 10 2012 18:06 GMT
#57
On May 11 2012 02:08 gutshot wrote:
really? I have never seen Bakuryu going for hydras

It might have been someone else. I'm not really familiar with current top foreigners.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
blubbdavid
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Switzerland2412 Posts
May 10 2012 19:08 GMT
#58
I lost to Hydras once in ZvZ. I drowned in shame.
What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpasses all other? Whatever you desire - that is here. Tower of God ¦¦Nutella, drink of the Gods
3FFA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States3931 Posts
May 10 2012 19:35 GMT
#59
On May 10 2012 05:03 3FFA wrote:
I finally got a chance to sit down and read this guide but I realized how far behind my original post was so I think I'll post here so it is seen. I'm gonna edit any comments or questions in here.

1) I fully agree with the intro. As a part-time Chess player and part-time Star Craft player I always study if I can. I've been searching for guides though, not replays unless linked from the guide itself. Hmm... might be a good idea. ^^

2) Question:
24 colony... Get this too. Most Zergs build a lot of lings even when rushing to mutas, and you don't wanna be caught with your pants down.

Where do I put this? In my main in case they successfully run-by me? In my nat? Over near where I expect to make a Spore Colony? You really weren't clear here unlike you were just beforehand.


3) Question: When I pull drones to defend against an attack, exactly how many? 2? 3? 4?

4) Question: How does this fair against Kau's Proxy Hatch? How do you react?

5)@14 or so creep colonies you should probably edit that Lair pic :p

6) Thanks for this! I will totally try this out after looking at a good 2-4 replays and then look at more after I(most likely) lose :p.

7)@your responses on this first page you actually make me more wanting to try out the build because of just how fiercely your defended it and with such determination. Along with the 2nd/3rd response where you said things like if the opponent is used to your hydras you go mutas, and if they are droning a lot you go mass speedling. Chef, never change

Can you respond to the edits of my previous post? Thanks Chef!
"As long as it comes from a pure place and from a honest place, you know, you can write whatever you want."
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
May 10 2012 21:25 GMT
#60
um... I would just pull all the drones at the nat probably. It would be completely based on whether it looked like he had enough lings to break through. It's basically the same reaction you'd have vs marines and medics trying to run up your ramp past sunkens, or zealots. You are only gonna need them there for a few seconds, and it's completely critical they don't get through. You just pull them all and if you keep them at your nat and they die to your sunkens you're so far ahead it doesn't matter you lost a little mining time.

Kau's proxy hatch... I would probably just build lings off 3 hatch. Maybe get speed, forget about hydra for a bit because the proxy hatch needs to die, and it's really hard for him to defend. You have to actually see the proxy hatch of course, but it is very easy to deal with if you know it's there. Could even get a sunk in your main vs that if you wanted to be extra safe.

there wasn't an icon for a lair, so I just wrote it

But yeah.. normal zvz sense applies in the early game. If he is doing something weird or all-inish, you should react to it properly. The build just puts you in a position to react to most stuff.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta14
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE71
Nina 63
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 173
Dewaltoss 76
Hyuk 62
Noble 25
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm108
League of Legends
Doublelift3561
Counter-Strike
Fnx 738
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King83
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5301
Khaldor764
Other Games
summit1g7968
FrodaN2138
shahzam496
JimRising 296
KnowMe278
C9.Mang0243
ArmadaUGS114
ZombieGrub93
Trikslyr38
PPMD34
CosmosSc2 21
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream76
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH349
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2688
Other Games
• imaqtpie832
• Shiphtur190
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
11h 20m
Online Event
12h 20m
FEL
17h 20m
AI Arena Tournament
18h 20m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
20h 20m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 13h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.