• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:14
CEST 16:14
KST 23:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7326 users

[Guide]Map Making - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
June 22 2009 01:36 GMT
#41
It's basically changing the graphics of the game lol.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
Fir3fly
Profile Joined May 2009
Australia251 Posts
June 22 2009 04:49 GMT
#42
loool, i saw this (with the spoilers being collapsed) and read "FINALLY DONE"..
and i was like "wow gee it doesnt seem to be massive" *opens a spoiler* "....OH MY.."

now im utterly speechless... great work
MagicalTits
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada1 Post
June 22 2009 23:43 GMT
#43
Absolutely amazing work! Unfortunately I stumbled upon your guide too late, and my mapwork was too far near completion to re-do it all. So it'd be great if you could tell me what to change, other than the obvious 128x128 dimension.

Here's an image of it. http://imgur.com/LaVbj.jpg
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
June 29 2009 22:50 GMT
#44
How do I place neutral buildings on ramps in SCMDraft (like Medusa)? Actually, how do I even place neutral buildings on the map? Whenever I put a neutral building (player 12) it doesn't show up in-game
:)
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
June 29 2009 22:58 GMT
#45
You have to make them unit sprites.

Check the first question in the FAQ in my guide for more info.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=95404#2
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
June 29 2009 23:47 GMT
#46
On June 30 2009 07:58 Grobyc wrote:
You have to make them unit sprites.

Check the first question in the FAQ in my guide for more info.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=95404#2


Oh thank you

I tried units and sprites... didn't know I had to use unit sprites
:)
Nightmarjoo
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3360 Posts
July 02 2009 02:02 GMT
#47
On June 23 2009 08:43 MagicalTits wrote:
Absolutely amazing work! Unfortunately I stumbled upon your guide too late, and my mapwork was too far near completion to re-do it all. So it'd be great if you could tell me what to change, other than the obvious 128x128 dimension.

Here's an image of it. http://imgur.com/LaVbj.jpg

Well aside from it being 128x128 and the issues that causes, the biggest thing I see here is that your shapes and sizes are a little off. You should try to make things more roundish, not jagged or amoeba-looking. In particular, your mains, nats, and the nat cliffs all look really awkward. The mains are much too large I think, and the nats far too open. You should look into promaps more, in the editor if you can. I don't know tl's policy on map protection, but if nothing else to prevent lastshadowing maps I won't post any unprotected promaps here. If you pm me I can point you in the right direction.

The neutral blocks are unnecessary and annoying imo. The spells don't appear to be terribly useful or game changing, I find it hard to believe they'll matter in most games, I think they could've been placed a little more productively (not overdoing it is important though). What's up with the 2 mineral gas expo in the center with a swarm over it?

Your map's flow could be better also, the pathing I mean. It's possible this is a side effect of (2)128x128 so I won't comment more on that issue.

All I can suggest really is that you make another map. Not every map needs perfected, and every successful or failed map gives you experience, practice, and helps build your understanding.
aka Lyra; My favourites: July, Stork, Draco, MistrZZZ, TheStc, LastShadow - www.broodwarmaps.net - for all your mapping needs; check my stream: high masters mech terran: twitch.tv/lyrathegreat
Loli
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
60 Posts
September 19 2009 15:56 GMT
#48
Hey guys, sorry if this is an unwanted bump but I'm having a problem with Scmdraft 2.0 (0.80). I downloaded the map from the OP with jungle ramps and shift selected individual squares to copy the ramp but I can't seem to paste it another map, infact I can't paste anything from one map to another.

Can anyone give me a little help?

Thanks.
"If the goal is to erase the moon called death reflected on the water's surface, then casting a pebble might not be in vain."
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
September 19 2009 16:10 GMT
#49
Even if this was an unwanted bump, I'll answer:

The ramp might still be a doodad. In that case you would only copy the underlying terrain. Right click the ramp, select convert into terrain. If that option is not there, it should already be terrain. Btw make sure to disable the fix doodads option somewhere in the menu, it usually is only annoying.

If that didn't fix your problem, select a patch of terrain, then paste it somewhere on the same map. If that doesn't work, you are either in the wrong mode (like doodads instead of terrain) or you should (re-)download the latest version of SCMD2.
Once you can paste terrain on the same map, open up another map in the same instance of SCMD2, you don't even have to close the current map. Make sure that the 2 maps have the same tileset or you'll paste weird terrain (you can't mix tilesets). If that still doesn't work and you have the latest version of SCMD2, you probably should report it as a bug on the official homepage.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Loli
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
60 Posts
September 19 2009 16:18 GMT
#50
Wow, thanks a ton, spinesheath! I totally made a really stupid error. It turns out I was trying to copy the jungle tileset ramps into a bandlands map. I apologize for wasting your time and bumping this thread again. I just felt it was necessary to show my gratitude.
"If the goal is to erase the moon called death reflected on the water's surface, then casting a pebble might not be in vain."
Un Gato
Profile Joined July 2009
United States123 Posts
December 20 2009 07:08 GMT
#51
TL is telling me that I better have a good reason for bumping this, so here it is: this is a ridiculously useful guide that shouldn't be buried in past pages. I'd never have found it if someone didn't have the link on hand.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Nub4ever
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada1981 Posts
December 23 2009 16:43 GMT
#52
well with this thread back alive I just want to ask my map seems to be... ummm laggy O.o. Normally I don't lag or anything but I lag whenever I play it...
Dota 3hard5me
50bani
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Romania480 Posts
December 23 2009 16:52 GMT
#53
Mods update the OP please:
Dear Mapmakers, make maps smaller, like 112x112 or just put more water on them like on Athena so you can keep main2main distances long but everything else should be laid down tightly in the center. Less resource spots would be useful toi have as well

TvP is so hard these days
I'm posting on twoplustwo because I have always been amazed at the level of talent that populates this site --- it's almost unparalleled on the Internet.
TriniMasta
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1323 Posts
January 17 2010 20:35 GMT
#54
Definitely a good guide
정명훈 FIGHTING!!! Play both T and P.
thopol
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Japan4560 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-01-18 04:24:34
January 18 2010 04:24 GMT
#55
I have had this baby set aside for a while. I'm finally taking a good look at it to try to put together some of my old ideas.

EDIT: Thanks NMJ.
Excel Excel
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
142 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-22 21:00:20
February 22 2010 20:59 GMT
#56
On December 24 2009 01:52 50bani wrote:
Dear Mapmakers, make maps smaller, like 112x112


That mapsize crashes BW.

Also... wasted space. What is it? Python's completely open center is apparently not wasted, but this map's center apparently is?

EDIT> If TL ever gets a mapping subforum, I nominate this for sticky.
"SCREW OBSERVERS MUST HAVE MOAR ARBITERS!!!11one1" - Famous last words
Piste
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
6183 Posts
February 22 2010 22:02 GMT
#57
OH MY THIS IS HUGE GUIDE.
=)
SaetZero
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States855 Posts
February 23 2010 19:06 GMT
#58
Very cool guide.

Lots of neat ideas to ponder over....


...pooooonnnnnnnnnnnndeeerrr...
Never Forget. #TheRevolutionist
Talic_Zealot
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
688 Posts
March 20 2010 12:21 GMT
#59
Great work. God i can't wait for the new Staredit.
There are three types of people in the universe: those who can count, and those who cant.
Bajadulce
Profile Joined October 2004
United States322 Posts
March 20 2010 14:40 GMT
#60
Now that this topic has been restored, I've been meaning to ask whether this guide has a hardcopy at BWMaps.net or perhaps another place? Clicking all those spoiler tags gets really cumbersome. Another great guide. No wonder you were one of the Beta Key winners.
Planar Erratus: (www.broodwarai.com/mods/peai) Where the worlds of Baldur’s Gate, Arcanum, Diablo, Icewind Dale, Torment, and Warcraft collide with Starcraft. Don't question, just play! ... Dedicated to all my TL.net friends and old schoolers!
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech154
Codebar 9
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 2359
EffOrt 1331
Mini 645
Soma 526
Horang2 370
Light 340
ggaemo 328
BeSt 322
Rush 318
Stork 274
[ Show more ]
Snow 222
Larva 219
hero 178
JYJ 177
Barracks 152
Killer 139
firebathero 119
Zeus 110
Sea.KH 64
Mong 60
Sharp 47
ToSsGirL 36
Shinee 35
Aegong 32
Bale 26
zelot 23
Sexy 22
sorry 20
Rock 15
Shine 11
Sacsri 8
Terrorterran 8
Icarus 8
JulyZerg 7
Dota 2
Gorgc7056
qojqva1388
Dendi799
XaKoH 458
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_748
Fnx 610
edward18
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes4518
Khaldor275
Other Games
gofns46614
singsing1742
olofmeister1329
B2W.Neo852
byalli576
Lowko388
DeMusliM202
Liquid`VortiX168
mouzStarbuck156
Livibee138
OGKoka 91
ArmadaUGS89
KnowMe43
amsayoshi25
Railgan13
Chillindude12
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV308
BasetradeTV215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream169
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 50
• mYiSmile110
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 22
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV328
League of Legends
• Nemesis1810
• Jankos1800
• TFBlade468
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 47m
Kung Fu Cup
20h 47m
The PondCast
1d 19h
OSC
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.