• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:32
CEST 02:32
KST 09:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8507 users

BW 1.16 custom game default speed

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
tauro
Profile Joined May 2024
6 Posts
May 10 2024 16:44 GMT
#1
Hello everybody,

I'm exploring BW 1.16.1 and I'm surprised to see that the default speed for a custom game isn't Fastest.

There's a registry entry
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Starcraft\speed

but it applies to Campaign mode only.

Is there a way to change the default speed for custom games?

Maybe editing some MPQ, SPC file, or a launcher/plugin?

Any help would be welcome.
tankgirl
Profile Blog Joined May 2016
Canada533 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-05-10 20:22:53
May 10 2024 20:20 GMT
#2
1.download and install bwapi

2. follow instructions here https://www.starcraftai.com/wiki/Increasing_StarCraft_Speed

for multiplayer, use (Wiki)LatencyChanger
https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/627255-progamer-settings
TL+ Member
tec27
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States3715 Posts
May 10 2024 23:15 GMT
#3
In single player you can control the game speed ingame by hitting + and - on your keyboard
Can you jam with the console cowboys in cyberspace?
tauro
Profile Joined May 2024
6 Posts
May 11 2024 01:02 GMT
#4
On May 11 2024 08:15 tec27 wrote:
In single player you can control the game speed ingame by hitting + and - on your keyboard

Yes, that's what I've been doing, but I want to set it once and forget about it.

On May 11 2024 05:20 tankgirl wrote:
1.download and install bwapi

2. follow instructions here https://www.starcraftai.com/wiki/Increasing_StarCraft_Speed

for multiplayer, use https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/LatencyChanger

Thank you for the links tankgirl.
Unfortunatly BWAPI is not working on the computer I intended to run BW 1.16.1.

It crashes when I launch chaoslauncher:
BWAPI_pluginInjector.bwl class: EExternalException msg: Externe Exception C000001D
BWAPI_pluginInjectord.bwl class: EExternalException msg: Externe Exception C000001D

That error (C000001D) is probably related to the processor lacking SSE2 instructions.

I confirmed on a different, newer computer (that also runs XP SP3) that installing BWAPI 4.4.0 actually sets the speed to Fastest automatically.

I wish I could recompile BWAPI but unfortunately I'm not familiar with the process at all.

It's such a pity! I'd be very grateful if someone familiar with it could do it and make the binaries available for everybody, or if it's not super complex, I'd be happy to do it myself if someone can provide the step by step instructions.
rtyrt7
Profile Joined August 2018
53 Posts
May 17 2024 15:03 GMT
#5
Hi! You could use Cheat Engine and make it auto-attach to Starcraft and automatically change its speed. Here's a thread for exactly that:

https://www.cheatengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=603156
tauro
Profile Joined May 2024
6 Posts
May 18 2024 01:26 GMT
#6
Hi, thank you for taking the time to answer @rtyrt7. I'm starting to get familiar with all the launchers and plugins and the whole ecosystem surrounding BW v1.16.1. Lots of things are buried under dead links, unfortunately.
Turns out that mca64launcher automatically changes the speed to fastest! That was the first solution I found to this problem and the one I suggest for the time being.

I will definitely check out Cheat Engine and LUA scripts and learn more about them. I'd like to point out that newer Cheat Engine versions include undesired software with sneaky opt-outs that some people may overlook. I downloaded this archived older version that works on XP. http://web.archive.org/web/20211225142624/https://cheatengine.org/download/CheatEngine62.exe
rtyrt7
Profile Joined August 2018
53 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-05-18 17:45:39
May 18 2024 10:40 GMT
#7
You're welcome!

I got it working using Cheat Engine (version 7.5 - latest at the moment) and LUA, where what I ended up doing was getting an exe that launches Starcraft with a speed of x10. Here's a video guide (based on this thread):

[image loading]


To view the guide at full size, check this out:
[image loading]


Once you download the .gif drag Starcraft.Extra.Fast.Speed.Demo.gif into your browser to make it play at full size. Or instead of this, you can simply zoom in into the page.

Here's the final code:

=================================================================


function onOpenProcess(pid)
end

shellExecute("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Starcraft_1161\\StarCraft.exe")
openProcess("StarCraft.exe")

tmer = createTimer(nil, false)
tmer.OnTimer = function(timer)
speedhack_setSpeed(10)
timer.Destroy()
end
tmer.Interval = 100
tmer.Enabled = true

=================================================================

You need to change this:
shellExecute("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Starcraft_1161\\StarCraft.exe")
to the path where your "StarCraft.exe" is located at.

speedhack_setSpeed(10) sets the game speed to 10, so you can change that value to whatever you want. It supports decimals, for example speedhack_setSpeed(0.5) .

Don't try to run it into a virtual machine as it may not work, at least that's what I experienced with VMWare.

You can use Unchecky to automatically uncheck opt-outs, but I can't really tell for what programs it will work.

Edit 1:
In case you're getting errors running Cheat Engine 7.5 on Windows 7 you have to delete dbghelp.dll from the win32 and win64 subfolders in Cheat Engine's installation folder, according to this post.

Example:
C:\Program Files\Cheat Engine 7.5\win32\dbghelp.dll
C:\Program Files\Cheat Engine 7.5\win64\dbghelp.dll





rtyrt7
Profile Joined August 2018
53 Posts
May 18 2024 18:04 GMT
#8
About the C000001D error, ChatGPT says it's definitely not the problem with the SSE2 instruction missing. It says it may be a problem with the GPU driver, and it suggests running Starcraft using OpenGL renderer instead. Here's exactly what it said:

========================

Running Starcraft 1.16.1 using OpenGL can be a bit tricky, as the game was primarily designed to use DirectDraw. However, you can use a third-party tool called ddraw.dll replacement, which forces the game to use OpenGL or other rendering methods. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do this:

Steps to Run Starcraft 1.16.1 Using OpenGL
Download a ddraw.dll Wrapper:

Download a ddraw.dll wrapper that supports OpenGL, such as ddraw.dll from the CNC-DDraw project or DDrawCompat. These projects aim to improve compatibility and performance for older games.
Extract and Place the DLL:

Extract the downloaded ddraw.dll file.
Copy the ddraw.dll file to your Starcraft installation directory (the folder where Starcraft.exe is located).
Configure the Wrapper (if needed):

Some wrappers come with configuration files (ddraw.ini or similar) that allow you to tweak settings. Open this file with a text editor (such as Notepad) to enable OpenGL rendering if it is not already enabled by default.
For CNC-DDraw, you might find settings like this in ddraw.ini:


[ddraw]
renderer=opengl


Ensure that renderer is set to opengl.

Run Starcraft:

Launch Starcraft as you normally would. The game should now use OpenGL for rendering.
Additional Tips
Compatibility Mode:

Even with the ddraw.dll wrapper, you might still need to run the game in compatibility mode. Right-click on Starcraft.exe, go to Properties, then the Compatibility tab, and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or 3).
Administrator Mode:

Ensure that the game runs with administrative privileges by checking "Run this program as an administrator" in the Compatibility tab.
Disable Scaling:

In the Compatibility tab, also check "Disable fullscreen optimizations" and "Override high DPI scaling behavior" to ensure better compatibility and performance.
Update Graphics Drivers:

Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date to avoid any potential issues with OpenGL rendering.
By following these steps, you should be able to force Starcraft 1.16.1 to run using OpenGL, which can help improve compatibility and performance on modern systems. If you encounter any issues, checking the documentation for the ddraw.dll wrapper you chose can provide additional configuration options and troubleshooting tips.

========================

I have no idea if this will work, but you can have a go.
tauro
Profile Joined May 2024
6 Posts
May 18 2024 21:59 GMT
#9
The cheat engine script is definitely very interesting and I'll be experimenting with it. Thank you!

As I said mca64launcher works fine too, does it automatically and it's much easier for any regular user.
And as tankgirl said, BWAPI also removes transitions and can speed up the game noticeably.

About the error I mentioned, you shouldn't trust GPT...
The graphical problem with BW 1.16 is a completely different issue. It affects Windows 7 and up and can be fixed with cnc-ddraw.dll. Although Windows XP is leaner and meaner and I prefer it.
rtyrt7
Profile Joined August 2018
53 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-05-19 08:13:44
May 19 2024 07:55 GMT
#10
You're welcome!

Ah, for some reason I misread your initial mca64launcher post, thinking you couldn't make it work either. I guess I was tired.
True, BWAPI does that, and I recall doing that with it. Aside from removing transitions, it has a couple more optimizations for speeding up the game as a whole.

I do not trust ChatGPT, but I had some experience with a physically partly broken GPU, where switching the renderer from DX11 to DX9 or OpenGL fixed the crashing issue for SC:R and for this scenario, the suggestion it made sounded to make sense.

I get why you're going for XP, I had a game that ran better on a very old PC, with XP on it, compared to running it on a modern PC at the time, having Windows 7 on it. I even recall watching a video on YouTube explaining why this happens.

By the way, do you have a trusted source for downloading mca64launcher, as the download link for it is broken, and since web.archive.org doesn't seem to be keeping any of its exes?

Never mind, I found out that the mediafire link still works from this tl thread.

Edit 1:

According to cnc-ddraw, it also supports Windows XP, where Starcraft Brood War is part of the supported games list.

DDrawCompat does not support Windows XP.
tauro
Profile Joined May 2024
6 Posts
May 20 2024 00:52 GMT
#11
On May 19 2024 16:55 rtyrt7 wrote:
Never mind, I found out that the mediafire link still works from this tl thread.

That's exactly the link I used. It seems mca64launcher had newer releases but they've been lost in the internet ether.
Probably the latest was v2.0.0.640. Source

There's a neat feature mca64launcher has that I haven't seen replicated in a Chaoslauncher plugin. You can fix the missed keyboard input by checking 'Fix "lost" keyboard input'.
rtyrt7
Profile Joined August 2018
53 Posts
May 20 2024 10:15 GMT
#12
I see. Thanks!

I recall reading about this plugin in the past, but I completely forgot about it.

One plugin that really stood out with me, for Chaoslauncher and Starcraft 1.16.1, was aiscript debug, or its later form, teippi, by Neiv, as it helped me save time by a lot when I was learning the inner workings of maps when it came down to devising a strategy for beating insane AIs. It also helped me out to learn how Starcraft works as a whole.

As it has a lot of features, the features I used the most were seeing range, collision boxes, and AI's pathing, all of these live in the game.

This is the exact teippi version that I used, and these are the commands for using it.

[image loading]


These images were taken from Visible Orders for Starcraft mod, by UndeadStar, which look like what the plugin does (although I'm not sure if the plugin was used for this mod):
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]

I'm going to drop as a spoiler all the links I used to make it work, for anyone who's interested, as it was a bit tricky.
+ Show Spoiler +

http://www.staredit.net/topic/17579/
http://www.staredit.net/topic/16823/
http://www.staredit.net/topic/18440/
http://www.staredit.net/topic/18441/
http://www.staredit.net/topic/9923/
tauro
Profile Joined May 2024
6 Posts
May 20 2024 23:24 GMT
#13
You won't believe me but I was in the process of trying the older version of this plugin to remove the sprite and unit limits.
http://www.staredit.net/topic/16823/

I wasn't aware that there was a newer version with all these features. Thank you very much for sharing rtyrt7!

Can you give me a practical example of how you used this plugin to improve your strategies to play against AIs (BWAPI AIs I presume)?

Because unfortunately BWAPI is not compatible with this plugin.
https://github.com/bwapi/bwapi/issues/609

If you start them both in the same StarCraft instance BWAPI AIs don't work. You can't move units, you get "Warning: Bad Select".

If I try to play a LAN game against a BWAPI AI, you get:
"You cannot join this game because it is a different version of StarCraft"

IMHO it should be integrated to BWAPI but it seems that it's a lot of work and the devs don't have the time or interest.

And by the way, the mod you linked can't be downloaded, unfortunately. All the mirrors are down (404)
rtyrt7
Profile Joined August 2018
53 Posts
May 22 2024 16:15 GMT
#14
You're welcome!

On May 21 2024 08:24 tauro wrote:
You won't believe me but I was in the process of trying the older version of this plugin to remove the sprite and unit limits.
http://www.staredit.net/topic/16823/


That's funny because just few days another person had a similar coincidence to a different thing I said:
On May 17 2024 18:52 tankgirl wrote:
wow i was just about to do this....freaky coincidence haha


A practical example, since some maps were locked or some were EUD, and I couldn't have access to the map editor (aka ScmDraft2) to check out where I could perfectly place units/buildings given their size, I'd use teippi to see the units/buildings collision boxes to set up a simcity, and also, as said above, for setting up defensive buildings and mostly tanks placement, using sight range feature, to intercept the AI's army before they'd get to our bases.

One thing with EUD maps, to be able to play them on Starcraft 1.16.1, you'd have to use EUD Enable, by O)FaRTy1billion[MM]. One radical example of a EUD map is Mario Exodus. Here you can see Flash playing it:


If you are curious to find out more about EUD, you can read this pdf presentation written by Elias Bachaalany, and here you can see his video covering this presentation:



If I'm not wrong he's the guy responsible for anti-cheat and the EUD emulator for Starcraft Remastered (someone corrects me if I'm wrong).

Since I've done this a long time ago, I can't recall exactly if all EUD maps made for SC:R are not compatible with SC 1.16.1, and vice versa. But what I know for sure is that maps that use custom graphics, as you see in the case of Mario Exodus, won't work in SC:R anymore, as they imposed some limits through the EUD emulator, as there were some security risks.

One other really helpful tool is Unit Viewer, by jjf28, which helped me to see HP of units that goes over 9999 HP (Starcraft maximum displayed HP), because otherwise, I'd have to manually look for the values using Cheat Engine, and it's a tedious work. I also strongly recommend checking out SC1 Mapping Tools section of staredit.net, as it has a lot of awesome tools.

I recall teippi not being compatible with BWAPI, but what are you exactly looking for? Do you wish to play against an AI and use teippi's features, or do you wish AIs to play against each other, and use teippi?

Indeed, it would've been nice to see it integrated with BWAPI.

Oh, right, download is not working anymore. I have it saved somewhere, but I don't know exactly where since it's not on my current drive. I'll try to look for it in the upcoming days. In the meantime, upon further research, it seems UndeadStar has used GPTP-For-VS2008 (staredit thread) with Visible Orders for Starcraft, according to his introduction. But I see there's a newer version of GPTP (staredit thread), maybe you can use this one instead.




Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft348
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft332
ViBE121
CosmosSc2 54
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1940
Artosis 603
Shuttle 541
910 35
Dota 2
monkeys_forever685
Counter-Strike
minikerr18
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox506
Other Games
summit1g8172
JimRising 589
shahzam589
C9.Mang0259
Maynarde131
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick933
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream135
[ Show 8 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
10h 28m
Stellar Fest
12h 28m
The PondCast
1d 9h
OSC
1d 12h
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
OSC
1d 23h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.