• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:21
CEST 01:21
KST 08:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7886 users

Jaedong near to retirement

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Sogetsu
Profile Joined July 2011
514 Posts
September 29 2017 22:49 GMT
#1
People, I didn't see this thread here around so I am posting the link to the ESPN article:

Jaedong fights the end of his career with reckless abandon
Raptor: "Es hora de salvar a los E-Sports..." http://i3.minus.com/ibtne3liprtByB.png
sM.Zik
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada2553 Posts
September 29 2017 22:53 GMT
#2
Discussion about it started on his stream page: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/516149-jaedong-stream-thread?page=100
Jaedong Fighting! | youtube.com/ZikGaming
sc-darkness
Profile Joined August 2017
856 Posts
September 29 2017 22:59 GMT
#3
Health > StarCraft always. It's a good decision even if fans miss him.
KaNaTTu
Profile Joined August 2017
Finland20 Posts
September 29 2017 23:08 GMT
#4
Oh god, this unbelievably bad and terrible news. I'm a huge JD fan...
Jaedong fighting!
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
September 29 2017 23:22 GMT
#5
On September 30 2017 08:08 KaNaTTu wrote:
Oh god, this unbelievably bad and terrible news. I'm a huge JD fan...


Same. Something about him, his humility, likeable personality, amazing work ethic, amazing talent and huge hunger to be the absolute best really makes it hard to not be a fan of his.
www.broodwarmaps.net
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
September 30 2017 00:38 GMT
#6
I became a Starcraft fan after watching Jaedong beat Stork for his first OSL victory in 2007. I had seen matches before then but the sheer emotion I saw after his win got me hooked. When one of my relatives went back to Korea for a while, I asked them to get an autograph from Jaedong at the 2008 Arena MSL finals. They asked me, "What if he loses?" I told him "He won't". He lost to ForGG. I still have a completely illogical mild resentment towards ForGG because of that. But my relative got me a lot of merch including a signature. I was ecstatic.

Since then I've followed Jaedong constantly. He's always been my favourite player and inspired me to play Zerg. His Golden Mouse win was just the most exciting moment for me. When the opportunity was presented on TL, I bought a Hwaseung Oz jacket (which is now peppered with autographs from folks like Day9, Huk and Ret). But just a while back, I actually got to meet JD himself and Flash when he came to Toronto for an SC2 tournament. With my limited Korean, I told him how much of a fan I was and got pictures with him (apologies to my friend for only taking nervous blurry photos of him with the two) and of course, got them to sign the jacket. Literally one of my best memories.

While I fell off from following SC2, I immediately started tuning into JD's stream when he started BW again. I was so impressed and happy with him taking 2 games off of Flash in ASL 3 with strokes of genius but his loss seemed inevitable throughout the whole series. In my head, I know it's highly doubtful he'll win his perhaps final ASL. But I'm rooting for him til the end. When he retires, I'll be sad, but what's is important is him pursuing what he thinks is right. Health is absolutely super important. But I know that even when that happens, I'll still continue to be his fan. Jaedong fighting! Go win ASL 4!
Morbidius
Profile Joined November 2010
Brazil3449 Posts
September 30 2017 01:46 GMT
#7
Watching JD stream breaks my heart, i don't know what it is, he always looks sad and defeated.
Has foreign StarCraft hit rock bottom?
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
September 30 2017 01:50 GMT
#8
Wasn't aware of how serious the situation was for JD besides his age being a factor.
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
NET
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States703 Posts
September 30 2017 02:17 GMT
#9
Damn, what a sad read. Jaedong, I wish you the best sir. Part of me hopes something miraculous happens so he can be what he once was. Regardless of all that, he gave me some of the best memories, especially every time he played Bisu. You can't take that away. One of the most savage players of all time, the Tyrant.
"Dark Templar are the saviors of the Protoss Race." -Artosis
Descent
Profile Joined January 2008
1244 Posts
September 30 2017 02:24 GMT
#10
The Tyrant's rest will be well-earned, GL HF JD.
「 Dream & Future 」 ※ 「 STX SouL 」
Archers_bane
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1338 Posts
September 30 2017 03:27 GMT
#11
All good things must come to an end sooner or later Glad I could follow his career from the very start, although I didn't really care for the time spent on SC2. He needs a proper farewell from the SC community when he officially retires
Starcraft's BW glory days have passed, RIP Jaedong's dominance - 2013...EDIT 2017: WE BACK BOYS
Loccstana
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
United States833 Posts
September 30 2017 04:30 GMT
#12
Will we every get to see a Flash vs Jaedong finals ever again?
[url]http://i.imgur.com/lw2yN.jpg[/url]
Starlightsun
Profile Blog Joined June 2016
United States1405 Posts
September 30 2017 05:02 GMT
#13
Sad He does often look very worn out on stream. Maybe going to the military will help rejuvenate his health.
craz3d
Profile Joined August 2005
Bulgaria856 Posts
October 10 2017 09:08 GMT
#14
Health is mentioned a couple of times without going into detail as to what's wrong. Is he suffering from some sort of overuse injury or burnout?
Hello World!
iloveav
Profile Joined November 2008
Poland1484 Posts
October 10 2017 09:16 GMT
#15
Im 33. I know what he means and I dont play at that level.
aka LRM)Cats_Paw.
Blue
Profile Joined July 2004
Norway359 Posts
October 10 2017 09:57 GMT
#16
On October 10 2017 18:16 iloveav wrote:
Im 33. I know what he means and I dont play at that level.


yep. long live JD <3
I must return to the time when I played with my own style, and when I determined the victory through strategies. And the strategies are a product of practicing more than anyone else. The key to success is to persevere through practice. Lim Yo-hwan
IntoTheStorm
Profile Blog Joined October 2016
116 Posts
October 10 2017 10:21 GMT
#17
On October 10 2017 18:08 craz3d wrote:
Health is mentioned a couple of times without going into detail as to what's wrong. Is he suffering from some sort of overuse injury or burnout?


The article mentions wrists and finger pain, also eyes tearing. So, being with a medical diploma, I assume it's something like carpal tunnel syndrome and chronic inflammation of the finger joints.
The eye condition I know nothing about as eyes are far and away from my field of knowledge. It can simply be that his eyes are getting tired easily as they've been forced to focus on the screen for such a long period of time and he might need a few months of rest from active focusing on close objects. It can mean that he needs some form of surgery, we don't know from the article itself. Maybe his tear ducts are inflamed, I don't know.
Anyway, JD is an iconic figure and I love to watch him play even though I've played like 6 games with Zerg in total. He is an artist.
But I think he should immediately retire from active gaming, this is ridiculous, to put such an enormous amount of stress on his body.
craz3d
Profile Joined August 2005
Bulgaria856 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-10 10:51:18
October 10 2017 10:50 GMT
#18
Do you think ASL offers some sort of medical insurance and/or requires certification that the competitors are in good health? I mean they ought to take care of their stars better.
Hello World!
Zephyp
Profile Joined April 2013
238 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-10 10:57:14
October 10 2017 10:56 GMT
#19
On September 30 2017 10:46 Morbidius wrote:
Watching JD stream breaks my heart, i don't know what it is, he always looks sad and defeated.

Yeah. I feel like he's been sort of like that ever since his performance in SC2 started to drop. He had one year with a lot of second places in SC2, but from there it just became a long line of hopes getting upped and then him losing. Except that one tournament in USA he won.

He's always been a winner, but when he didn't win anymore, it seemed to take it's toll. Which he also talks about in the interview.
CHEONSOYUN
Profile Joined August 2017
623 Posts
October 10 2017 10:59 GMT
#20
On October 10 2017 19:50 craz3d wrote:
Do you think ASL offers some sort of medical insurance and/or requires certification that the competitors are in good health? I mean they ought to take care of their stars better.


healthcare in korea is pretty good as it's paid for by the relatively high taxes

unfortunately no amount of medicine or surgery is going to prevent continuous wear and tear over ten years
JAEDONG...!!! EFFORT IS ANGRY. ZERG...?!
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings39
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 172
SpeCial 54
CosmosSc2 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 601
910 57
Bale 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm89
League of Legends
Doublelift2589
Other Games
summit1g9016
shahzam630
C9.Mang0301
PiGStarcraft209
Maynarde106
JimRising 102
Vindicta12
Liquid`Ken11
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick519
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 115
• musti20045 39
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP28
• davetesta14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21472
Other Games
• imaqtpie711
• Shiphtur217
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
10h 39m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
11h 39m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Patches Events
1d 16h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.