• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:39
CEST 04:39
KST 11:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8392 users

Jaedong near to retirement - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Amanebak
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Czech Republic528 Posts
October 10 2017 18:36 GMT
#41
On October 11 2017 01:38 Akara12345 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2017 22:18 probelife66 wrote:
Not sure how popular bw will continue to be once the big names leave like bisu and jaedong.. enjoy it while its here boiz

Bisu already completed his military services.

By saluting after he advanced to the Ro8.
BW
SlayerS_BunkiE
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada1717 Posts
October 10 2017 18:39 GMT
#42
On October 11 2017 03:31 Netto. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2017 03:24 SlayerS_BunkiE wrote:
On October 11 2017 00:25 Lorch wrote:
Brood War will survive. When the scene was stripped of all it's best players in 2012 it survived. It went on and it grew. It took one man to do that and he single handedly brought brood war back on TV ( even if only for a time). And even though sonic is gone now, Afreeca and Kongdoo have taken up the torch. Fear not, others will rise in place of TBLS. The studio has been packed for almost every group this season, and flash even said that he won't do his military service until everyone else is back.

BW was effectively dead for me after the transition to sc2. I tried watching the few players who stayed with bw but it just wasnt the same. The level of competition fell off a cliff. BW was only revived after enough pros quit sc2 and went back to bw.
The issue is not the loss of current players but that there is no one to replace them. Name me a rookie since the end of the kespa era who has "made it". There is no one. Every player in this ASL I have heard off because they were the same players back then, its just the rankings between the players that have changed.
I'm not saying it will completely die. But having only a fraction of the current popularity and level of play is imo like having nothing at all. I dont want the greatest spectator sport in the world to be relegated to such a niche state.

Did you really hear much about larva, shuttle or last back in the kespa era? They are very good and popular now. I think you are too pesimistic.

Of course I have!!
I think I am being realistic. I would absolutely LOVE it if I was proven wrong!!!
And again, what I am saying is:
a.) There is currently no system to effectively encourage and nurture new talent to enter the professional scene; and
b.) No bw players = no bw scene

Again I am not saying that a.) will not be resolved. I am saying that to think that professional bw as we know it will continue to live without finding a solution to a.) is just wishful thinking
iloveby.SlayerS_BunkiE[Shield]
jinjin5000
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1560 Posts
October 10 2017 18:47 GMT
#43
On October 11 2017 03:39 SlayerS_BunkiE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2017 03:31 Netto. wrote:
On October 11 2017 03:24 SlayerS_BunkiE wrote:
On October 11 2017 00:25 Lorch wrote:
Brood War will survive. When the scene was stripped of all it's best players in 2012 it survived. It went on and it grew. It took one man to do that and he single handedly brought brood war back on TV ( even if only for a time). And even though sonic is gone now, Afreeca and Kongdoo have taken up the torch. Fear not, others will rise in place of TBLS. The studio has been packed for almost every group this season, and flash even said that he won't do his military service until everyone else is back.

BW was effectively dead for me after the transition to sc2. I tried watching the few players who stayed with bw but it just wasnt the same. The level of competition fell off a cliff. BW was only revived after enough pros quit sc2 and went back to bw.
The issue is not the loss of current players but that there is no one to replace them. Name me a rookie since the end of the kespa era who has "made it". There is no one. Every player in this ASL I have heard off because they were the same players back then, its just the rankings between the players that have changed.
I'm not saying it will completely die. But having only a fraction of the current popularity and level of play is imo like having nothing at all. I dont want the greatest spectator sport in the world to be relegated to such a niche state.

Did you really hear much about larva, shuttle or last back in the kespa era? They are very good and popular now. I think you are too pesimistic.

Of course I have!!
I think I am being realistic. I would absolutely LOVE it if I was proven wrong!!!
And again, what I am saying is:
a.) There is currently no system to effectively encourage and nurture new talent to enter the professional scene; and
b.) No bw players = no bw scene

Again I am not saying that a.) will not be resolved. I am saying that to think that professional bw as we know it will continue to live without finding a solution to a.) is just wishful thinking



this is legitimate concern among korean community, and also that flash is the youngest out of them all and will dominate til he grows old because frankly, none of amateurs can even compete with former pros/B-teamers who grew into top players now (like larva)

Theres shinee, but hes behind compared to other former pros and thats the best of amateurs.
Lorch
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany3711 Posts
October 10 2017 19:01 GMT
#44
Have you guys checked the qualifiers for this season of asl?
Even if you pick 12 random guys out of those who made it into the ro24 and sent them to the miliatry, there'd still be more than enough top players. I do agree that fresh blood would be great. But I think there are enough players, especially those who already finished their military service, that we'll have a constant stream of good games.

Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12058 Posts
October 10 2017 19:10 GMT
#45
On October 11 2017 01:38 Akara12345 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2017 22:18 probelife66 wrote:
Not sure how popular bw will continue to be once the big names leave like bisu and jaedong.. enjoy it while its here boiz

Bisu already completed his military services.


That was BeSt
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
Mr.Pyro
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Denmark959 Posts
October 10 2017 19:27 GMT
#46
It's really not the end of the world. All good things must come to an end, and seeing some new blood on top is not a bad thing, that's how new fans are made
P⊧[1]<a>[2]<a>[3]<a>tt | P ≝ 1.a.2.a.3.a.P
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
October 10 2017 19:55 GMT
#47
IcaruS looked promising but he's fallen off. Guess there's Shinee. Ample too was another possibility. Hi was another amateur who Flash was impressed with greatly. I think there's enough talent, mostly a matter of trying to foster it. It's too bad there's no mentor system in place.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Neverendar
Profile Joined August 2017
8 Posts
October 10 2017 20:39 GMT
#48
On October 11 2017 04:27 Mr.Pyro wrote:
It's really not the end of the world. All good things must come to an end, and seeing some new blood on top is not a bad thing, that's how new fans are made


The real worry is if the new blood ends up being nothing in comparison to the old blood. What drives any e-sport is one old-guard being replaced by talented new blood, if the old guard just retire because of age and illness rather than competition that would be concerning.

I just hope with streaming and income from twitch and afreeca, there is enough room for a new generation of BW pros. However, I don't think we'll see a lot of players of Jaedong's calibre ever again.
Piratezerg
Profile Joined January 2017
54 Posts
October 10 2017 21:02 GMT
#49
+ Show Spoiler +
Just realized JDs last game before the end of broodwar in 2012 was a loss to Rain.
DracoMortuiVolantus
Profile Joined October 2016
68 Posts
October 10 2017 21:43 GMT
#50
One year ago new best players for their races were last, soulkey
and snow, and now it is last (Ssak? O.o), soulkey and rain.

Jeadong would have won with any protoss player with things he did,
Rain has made absolutely inasane hold in my opinion,
no zerg would beat him on this day, on this map.

I can empathize with JD, I was playing piano whole my life,
and since few months I can't play it because of nails disease,
it hurts so much I can't play so I stopped playing,
I think that health is more important than making people happy with Your performance,
please stop playing, it was good run, there is no comeback in game of life.

(or play one game daily, the most important is running game in head I think,
I don't play only hardest parts on piano, I am amble to play soft parts)

Best regards.
KungKras
Profile Joined August 2008
Sweden484 Posts
October 10 2017 22:33 GMT
#51
Noone can take what Jaedong has allready achieved away from him. I hope he'll be able to look back on it all and enjoy the feeling of what he accomplished.

We will always have all of those amazing games to watch too. They will never go away.

If it's time for Jaedong to quit because of his health so be it, I'd say it's also a time to be happy about, and to celebrate one of the most amazing careers in Starcraft.
"When life gives me lemons, I go look for oranges"
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
October 10 2017 23:28 GMT
#52
i refuse to believe that JD will go out like this. arent there other opportunities for jd to compete? or is asl the only thing?
CoolSea
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States236 Posts
October 10 2017 23:45 GMT
#53
On October 11 2017 04:10 Qikz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2017 01:38 Akara12345 wrote:
On October 10 2017 22:18 probelife66 wrote:
Not sure how popular bw will continue to be once the big names leave like bisu and jaedong.. enjoy it while its here boiz

Bisu already completed his military services.


That was BeSt

There's a video on youtube that shows Bisu looking at his military enlistment date as being in 2015. Think he got out not too long ago. Would have linked the vid but don't want to get too off topic. Super sad about Jaedong, but at some point the pain just becomes insurmountable and interferes with your ability to perform and practice. I wonder if it'll interfere with his military service or if there is some niche role in the military that former pro gamers fulfill because of their similar wrist injuries. No way you can fire a gun with fucked up dead wrists, right?
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51698 Posts
October 11 2017 00:35 GMT
#54
none of the TBLS have done military service lol dunno wtf you kids are on about
Commentator
Qwyn
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2781 Posts
October 11 2017 02:32 GMT
#55
Wow. I don't play StarCraft anymore, haven't for awhile. I've moved on with my life. But reading about how Jaedong is contemplating giving up the game for good is a thought that is so damn hard to process.

To me Jaedong is competitive StarCraft. He represents everything I ever wanted to be in a player: how I played, how I thought about and saw the game, what skills I prioritized. And outside of the game he possessed qualities I yearned to possess as a person: humility, drive, passion, and an indomitable will.

It's a strange mix of feelings that are welling up in me thinking about Jaedong entering the military and retiring for good. Something akin to mourning. Nostalgia? Not quite. Regret, and a deep and overwhelming sadness. Maybe I'm harboring a small shred of the emotions that must be running through him right now.

I know that to me, and many others, Jaedong will always be the greatest player that StarCraft has ever produced. His retirement will mark the close of a chapter in both his life and mine.

I wish him all the best.
"Think of the hysteria following the realization that they consciously consume babies and raise the dead people from their graves" - N0
fish_radio
Profile Blog Joined March 2017
182 Posts
October 11 2017 03:58 GMT
#56
On October 11 2017 09:35 GTR wrote:
none of the TBLS have done military service lol dunno wtf you kids are on about

he is correct though. bisu's service was supposed to be 2015
Sebyul Server W.I.P.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-10-11 04:21:00
October 11 2017 04:20 GMT
#57
On October 11 2017 12:58 fish_radio wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2017 09:35 GTR wrote:
none of the TBLS have done military service lol dunno wtf you kids are on about

he is correct though. bisu's service was supposed to be 2015

there's a clear difference though between Bisu has done and hasn't done his service. Bisu has been constantly active in the scene since he came back in 2013. In 2015, he was in the last SSL finals for example.

Sure, his date was supposed to be in 2015 but that's not what the other poster was trying to explain at all afaik.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
b0lt
Profile Joined March 2009
United States790 Posts
October 11 2017 04:21 GMT
#58
On October 11 2017 09:35 GTR wrote:
none of the TBLS have done military service lol dunno wtf you kids are on about


does flash get to skip military service because he won the 2009 asian indoor games?
fish_radio
Profile Blog Joined March 2017
182 Posts
October 11 2017 05:08 GMT
#59
On October 11 2017 13:20 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2017 12:58 fish_radio wrote:
On October 11 2017 09:35 GTR wrote:
none of the TBLS have done military service lol dunno wtf you kids are on about

he is correct though. bisu's service was supposed to be 2015

there's a clear difference though between Bisu has done and hasn't done his service. Bisu has been constantly active in the scene since he came back in 2013. In 2015, he was in the last SSL finals for example.

Sure, his date was supposed to be in 2015 but that's not what the other poster was trying to explain at all afaik.

ah it's my english. sorry ==
Sebyul Server W.I.P.
juvenal
Profile Joined July 2013
2448 Posts
October 11 2017 08:16 GMT
#60
The lack of newcomers has been bothering me since the end of KeSPA bw days and despite several attempts to address the issue it was never resolved. Today I too am pessimistic on the possibility of bw returning to its past form or even staying semi-relevant in the long term.
Michael Probu
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 105
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1868
GuemChi 1518
Artosis 629
910 73
Bale 18
ajuk12(nOOB) 17
Terrorterran 4
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm201
febbydoto13
Counter-Strike
taco 527
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox476
Other Games
summit1g8204
Doublelift1979
JimRising 590
C9.Mang0361
Day[9].tv331
PiGStarcraft255
Maynarde108
CosmosSc2 22
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1026
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 117
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv331
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 21m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
8h 21m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
21h 21m
Patches Events
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.