• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:34
CEST 22:34
KST 05:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6977 users

StarCraft Brood War Windows 7 Color Fix (registry) - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Rlentless
Profile Joined January 2011
Hong Kong322 Posts
December 10 2012 04:15 GMT
#41
On December 10 2012 05:04 Falling wrote:
Maybe this isn't the best place for this question as it is probably unrelated, but it did seem to first show up after using the color fix.

Has anyone else had Starcraft open a lot slower recently? Like a full minute or more after double clicking on the icon, it'll readjust the display ratio, but then nothing else will happen for at least a minute if not more. I actually think it's taking longer and longer these days. Everything else works with the game. It goes perfectly fast and shutsdown properly. And switching back and forth with alt-tab and the like works fine. But the intial opening has gotten super slow.


Do you use a CD to play Starcraft? The data might be a little corrupted if that is the case. I used to play with a CD and it showed similar symptoms (which of course is caused by use).
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-10 04:47:55
December 10 2012 04:41 GMT
#42
It's a legit version but I have the no cd patch. I actually bought another version because I wanted to create a no cd version that still had the music, but when I installed that one it just crashed lots so I went back to the one that worked.

Funnily, running it through the iCCup launcher, it will crash the first time and then start up immediately the second time (new problem). My huge delay in starting is when I use the regular Starcraft.exe. I ran this exact no cd patch version on Windows 7 for a couple years on a laptop with no such problems, but with odd workaround solutions for the colour problem. It's only recently that I've noticed this issue on my desktop (which has also worked fine for a whole year until now.)

I'll try defragging, but it says there is 0% that needs it.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
TaShadan
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany1982 Posts
December 10 2012 11:11 GMT
#43
works fine thx
is there something like that for other old games too?
Total Annihilation Zero
FFW_Rude
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France10201 Posts
December 10 2012 11:18 GMT
#44
On December 10 2012 13:41 Falling wrote:
It's a legit version but I have the no cd patch. I actually bought another version because I wanted to create a no cd version that still had the music, but when I installed that one it just crashed lots so I went back to the one that worked.

Funnily, running it through the iCCup launcher, it will crash the first time and then start up immediately the second time (new problem). My huge delay in starting is when I use the regular Starcraft.exe. I ran this exact no cd patch version on Windows 7 for a couple years on a laptop with no such problems, but with odd workaround solutions for the colour problem. It's only recently that I've noticed this issue on my desktop (which has also worked fine for a whole year until now.)

I'll try defragging, but it says there is 0% that needs it.


No Cd patch ? I thought you could play without the CD from version 1.08 or something ? No ?
Also you should use a image CD because no cd patch have sometimes problems with launcher (had troubles with Chaos launcher long time ago).

But i really think multiplayer doesn't require a CD anymore.

Also the best way to play BW on a PC is to do a Dual boot with winXP with something like 2gb on that part (aka windows XP + Bw with a little space for stuff)
#1 KT Rolster fanboy. KT BEST KT ! Hail to KT playoffs Zergs ! Unofficial french translator for SlayerS_`Boxer` biography "Crazy as me".
Deleted User 268575
Profile Joined June 2012
146 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-12 01:23:14
December 12 2012 01:22 GMT
#45
This fixed the rainbow color issue but is anyone getting an issue where their black text boxes are turning white? It makes it impossible to see any text cuz all the text is in white unless it's in a whisper form
http://twitch.tv/jemah
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
December 12 2012 01:25 GMT
#46
Er. By cd patch I mean copying the mpq file over and renaming it or whatever. But yeah I haven't used a proper cd for years. I don't have windows xp anymore although I might still have the old OS cd's somewhere for my first XP laptop.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
althaz
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia1001 Posts
December 12 2012 03:31 GMT
#47
This is the single greatest thread on Team Liquid! Does anybody know if this works on Windows 8 as well? I haven't reinstalled Brood War since I last updated, but I think I will now.

I'll let y'all know how it goes in Win8.
The first rule we don't talk about race conditions. of race conditions is
FFW_Rude
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France10201 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-12 11:35:23
December 12 2012 11:34 GMT
#48
On December 12 2012 10:25 Falling wrote:
Er. By cd patch I mean copying the mpq file over and renaming it or whatever. But yeah I haven't used a proper cd for years. I don't have windows xp anymore although I might still have the old OS cd's somewhere for my first XP laptop.


Oh yeah i forgot that it was the mpq file. I'm sure i've done it but it would be a WHIIIIIIILLLLe ago.

But really it's a pain in the ass to play on anything but XP (for BW i mean).

If you have another computer, use it or if you don't have one, Dual boot. I'm sure you can find help on TL with that. (But i remember the color bug acting sometimes in XP when you did ALT TAB).

You could try to do a "image cd" file and delete the mpq too. Have you tried that ? (but you will need to find the CD :p).
#1 KT Rolster fanboy. KT BEST KT ! Hail to KT playoffs Zergs ! Unofficial french translator for SlayerS_`Boxer` biography "Crazy as me".
quirinus
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Croatia2489 Posts
December 12 2012 15:17 GMT
#49
On December 10 2012 20:11 TaShadan wrote:
works fine thx
is there something like that for other old games too?


I think it has to be made from case-by-case basis, since I think the reg file maps the palette to windows colors or something, and each game has it's own palette. Not 100% sure.
All candles lit within him, and there was purity. | First auto-promoted BW LP editor.
Deleted User 166296
Profile Joined April 2011
35 Posts
December 20 2012 02:01 GMT
#50
So I got the registry file to fix the color issue, but when I alt-tab out of game and then get back in, it happens again. Do I need to fix something with the resolution or what? I have two monitors, if that changes anything.
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10870 Posts
December 20 2012 03:52 GMT
#51
I've been unable to get any of these windows 7 fixes to work for windows 8 as some have said it does, I guess I have to downgrade to windows 7 to enjoy BW. :-P
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
xboi209
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States1173 Posts
December 20 2012 04:31 GMT
#52
Right click on the .exe and click properties, look for some sort of compatibility option. Mess with the options and check to see if it works. Post back on your settings if it works so that other people can use the same settings.
http://www.reddit.com/r/broodwar/
Gendo
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom216 Posts
December 23 2012 18:51 GMT
#53
goddamit! installed again and had fine colors and aspect ratio, didn't touch it for a week and now it's full screen again, any idea?
ChinaGreenTea
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands49 Posts
December 23 2012 19:28 GMT
#54
On December 24 2012 03:51 Gendo wrote:
goddamit! installed again and had fine colors and aspect ratio, didn't touch it for a week and now it's full screen again, any idea?

Any external programs that you're using for color management, power management etc.? It's software related I'm pretty sure of it, you should look into that.
Gendo
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom216 Posts
December 23 2012 20:58 GMT
#55
On December 24 2012 04:28 ChinaGreenTea wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 24 2012 03:51 Gendo wrote:
goddamit! installed again and had fine colors and aspect ratio, didn't touch it for a week and now it's full screen again, any idea?

Any external programs that you're using for color management, power management etc.? It's software related I'm pretty sure of it, you should look into that.


Thanks for the reply, not really, only nvidia drivers i guess could affect that but no changes have been made to the system since it was working the 1st time.
1st time it went full screen i had already open Xsplit with Uscreencapture, uninstalled both with no luck, and because i'm on a laptop i can't force the original res..
Last time it happened i reinstalled the whole system but not looking forward to doing it again
dM-White
Profile Joined February 2007
Chile344 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-26 05:01:11
December 26 2012 04:42 GMT
#56
hi guys im having a problem i dont see the starcraft broodwar at my full screen... i see it in a 800x600 screen when im at full window mode... im using W7 Ultimate 64 bits help pls
Op dM- @West || http://DisturbedMind.net || https://discord.gg/ePERqJp
alffla
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Hong Kong20321 Posts
December 26 2012 05:10 GMT
#57
On December 26 2012 13:42 dM-White wrote:
hi guys im having a problem i dont see the starcraft broodwar at my full screen... i see it in a 800x600 screen when im at full window mode... im using W7 Ultimate 64 bits help pls


brood war is supposed to be 4:3
Graphicssavior[gm] : What is a “yawn” rape ;; Masumune - It was the year of the pig for those fucking defilers. Chill - A clinic you say? okum: SC without Korean yelling is like porn without sex. konamix: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!
Darksoldierr
Profile Joined May 2010
Hungary2013 Posts
December 26 2012 12:36 GMT
#58
Download the client from Battle.net, it is a built in sc + bw ( if you registered your codes ), runs without CD and i have no problem at all with it on W7
What do humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea.
Gendo
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom216 Posts
December 27 2012 02:07 GMT
#59
Ok, i finally have a fix for those stuck with a laptop and no way do force a 4:3 aspect ratio.

I have a Dell with Nvidia Optimus
- just go to the settings of the integrated card (intel hd3000),
- click "options and support" on the left,
- you'll see a "Enable/Disable Panel Fitting" remember or customize that hotkey,
- run BW and press that hotkey few times until you have the desired aspect ratio,
- when exiting the game you'll have a crazy 8-bit 640x480 easiest solution to revert right click on desktop, change to original resolution and OK..

Since Nvidia mobility doesn't have that option, you need to run the integrated card (more than enough for BW).

Hope helps everybody else.
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
March 02 2013 13:28 GMT
#60
Hey I hope it's ok if I bump this thread. I think this might be a hot topic again since many will use the days before hots release to play the sc1 and wol campaign.

So I bought the SC 1 Anthology (vanilla + broodwar) and downloaded and installed the latest version from battle.net.

Now I unfortunately after a few minutes I will get rainbow colors and the registry patch from this thread did not fix it . I use windows 7 pro 64bit service pack 1. The rainbow colors are gone when I tab out and back in once, but after a minute or so they are back again. So I'd appreciate any tips and suggestions what I can try, since I really want to enjoy the sc1 story before hots release .
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 27m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 512
ProTech144
BRAT_OK 95
Railgan 83
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 1476
Dewaltoss 123
Trap 26
Bale 14
Dota 2
420jenkins527
Counter-Strike
fl0m4240
Fnx 613
minikerr1
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4508
Liquid`Hasu744
Other Games
summit1g4936
Liquid`RaSZi2166
FrodaN795
B2W.Neo533
XaKoH 254
ToD203
C9.Mang0169
RotterdaM82
QueenE69
UpATreeSC67
Mew2King34
PPMD25
JuggernautJason17
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV217
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream16
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21117
Other Games
• Shiphtur1041
• imaqtpie829
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 27m
Patches Events
19h 27m
The PondCast
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 14h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.