• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:39
CEST 17:39
KST 00:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War195.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11248 users

Nintendo DS worth getting?

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-17 00:27:24
June 15 2009 05:43 GMT
#1
Greetings.

Though I have lived 22 winters, I have never gotten a game console before (PC games ftw, I guess). Recently, however, I am considering getting something hand-held, like an NDS, to spend time while on a bus (most likely I will be riding a bus for ~3 hours, 4 days a week, starting September).

So my question is, is an NDS worth getting? If you own one, how do you think of it? Since I have never gotten any items like this before, I am not sure what my demands are, but some general comments will help greatly.

EDIT #2:
Thanks for everyone's valuable input so far and I've gained a lot of knowledge of this item. I understand now that I need to get a console plus a memory card of some sort which allows me to illegally download games for free to play on the console. I think I will definitely get the duo.

Some research from my part shows that there is a slightly newer console called NDSi. Should I get that one? Also, about R4 being "outdated", how exactly is it bad and what are my alternatives?

Hi everyone. I just bought NDSl with TT (like R4) today. Then I realized that I bought the wrong memory for TT (my reaction: TT___TT). After some rest I will go again and get it exchanged for the right one... I am sure BestBuy will forgive my stupidity... or I hope anyways. Idealy I can play it tonight! :D


Fixed~!!! playing yoshi's island right now ^_^

Again many thanks for everyone's input. I really apprepriate it.
:]
Zapdos_Smithh
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2620 Posts
June 15 2009 05:50 GMT
#2
Yup. Make sure you get a R4DS card so then you can download the games for free.
BookTwo
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
1985 Posts
June 16 2009 00:11 GMT
#3
^ R4 is essential. And I recommend you buy it from here. It's where I bought mine and I did not have any problems. Fast delivery and cheap price.

Also, the DS hold something like 70% of hand held console sales. Lots of people like playing it, but everyone is different. If you don't want to think you'll be wasting a few hundred, borrow a friends DS, like me I had it for a week and wanted one. Some people might find that they don't like it.

Lastly, there are tons and tons of games to be played. No matter what genre you enjoy, the DS will have it.
antzilla
Profile Joined June 2009
United States52 Posts
June 16 2009 00:20 GMT
#4
Nintendo DS's are great. I would recommend looking into Picross (puzzle game), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (sort of like a choose your adventure novel), and The World Ends With You (RPG). These are my personal favorites, but there are plenty of other games to satisfy your needs.
arb
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Noobville17922 Posts
June 16 2009 00:21 GMT
#5
Yes
R4/Cyclos is required though.
Artillery spawned from the forges of Hell
plated.rawr
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Norway1676 Posts
June 16 2009 00:23 GMT
#6
I got a DS for christmas a couple years back, and it's pretty cool. I've spent countless hours playing PuzzleQuest and the FF remakes, but overall, it seems hard to find good games since it's mostly targetted at a younger audience.
Savior broke my heart ;_; || twitch.tv/onnings
lepape
Profile Joined November 2005
Canada557 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-16 00:28:56
June 16 2009 00:26 GMT
#7
Imo, Nintendo DS is THE console with the best games since the SNES.

Of course, there's a ton of crappy games, but if you know where to look, there's a very good amount of gems. Amongst my favorites:

-Contra 4
-Phoenix Wright serie
- Megaman XY
- New Super Mario Bros
- New Tetris
- The World Ends WIth You
- Advance Wars
- GTA Chinatown Wars
- Korg DS-10
- Zelda Phantom Hourglass
- Mario Kart DS
- Castlevania, Dawn of Sorrow
- Chrono Trigger DS
- Ninjatown
- Elite Beat Agents

Those games are also fairly cheap too, ranging from 25 to 40$.
Pyrrhuloxia
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States6700 Posts
June 16 2009 00:26 GMT
#8
It makes a great ebook reader if you get DSReader.
bdams19
Profile Joined January 2005
United States1316 Posts
June 16 2009 00:45 GMT
#9
CycloDS is sweet... I had an r4 but it breaks after a little while and its getting kind of outdated. The CycloDS is better because it has the option to upgrade the microsd card to larger memory.
shavingcream66
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States1219 Posts
June 16 2009 00:50 GMT
#10
yeah but don't get an R4..those are outdated and the original R4 company doesn't create anymore updates. All the other R4's that are coming out are pirated ones of the original R4. I suggest getting an AceKard since those are updated frequently and cheaper too .
Deleted User 37864
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
780 Posts
June 16 2009 02:19 GMT
#11
^ what he said.
R4 is outdated and horrible.
research some other flashcards and pick your pick.
just not R4
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
June 16 2009 02:22 GMT
#12
On my computer I currently have Prototype, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dead Space, Crysis, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, The Witcher, GTA SA/VC/IV, etc. Guess what gets the most play time- my computer or my DS.

The R4 is totally out of date. CycloDS is ok, but more expensive.
http://www.electrobee.com/real-perfect-bundle-rumble-p-29.html

That's probably the best package you can find now. M3 Real has good support and is as modern as anything else (with RT save, brightness adjustment, cheat codes, etc.) The UI isn't great, but I've never seen a card with a good UI. I definitely recommend the GBA pack though. There are still a lot of great GBA games to play.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Bebop Berserker
Profile Joined April 2009
United States246 Posts
June 16 2009 02:28 GMT
#13
Put a poll up next time. I would say no unless you don't like books. Then yeah of course.
Whatever happens, happens.
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
June 16 2009 02:32 GMT
#14
O wow I didn't know you can read books off it (is the screen too small for that????). That's simply amazing and I would find it extremely useful.
:]
psion0011
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada720 Posts
June 16 2009 02:33 GMT
#15
Yeah R4 is antiquated.

Acekard from dealextreme is the best deal.
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-16 02:37:45
June 16 2009 02:35 GMT
#16
I heard from a friend that I should get a "cracked" NDS that would allow me to download (illegally, alas, but pirating rocks so meh!). Does that have to do with R4?

Should have read more carefully I guess. So does that mean I should buy a console + R4? O_o
:]
Demoninja
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States1190 Posts
June 16 2009 02:36 GMT
#17
There are no "cracked" NDS. There are "cracked" PSP though.
anch
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States5457 Posts
June 16 2009 02:41 GMT
#18
damn thats a long bus ride.

but get the acekard, frmo dealextreme if you can wait for 7days+ because it ships from Hong Kong.
DS Lite are lesser than $120. which is so good. with near ~100 good games to try out.
bdams19
Profile Joined January 2005
United States1316 Posts
June 16 2009 02:44 GMT
#19
On June 16 2009 11:32 illu wrote:
O wow I didn't know you can read books off it (is the screen too small for that????). That's simply amazing and I would find it extremely useful.


lolol he means if he doesnt like reading books, then get a ds. Why on earth would you read on a DS if you can just have the actual book
illu
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2531 Posts
June 16 2009 02:49 GMT
#20
On June 16 2009 11:44 bdams19 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2009 11:32 illu wrote:
O wow I didn't know you can read books off it (is the screen too small for that????). That's simply amazing and I would find it extremely useful.


lolol he means if he doesnt like reading books, then get a ds. Why on earth would you read on a DS if you can just have the actual book


Some of my books are electronic so having some sort of reader is also in my consideration. I once saw a girl on the bus using one made by Sony with a display screen of roughly 4-5 inch diagonally and I was very intrigued. Regrettably I did not ask her about it.
:]
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33069
Calm 5136
Bisu 2803
Jaedong 1121
Horang2 646
BeSt 477
Rush 436
Soma 407
Stork 349
Larva 344
[ Show more ]
Light 253
ZerO 200
Snow 187
Zeus 173
Free 114
910 113
Barracks 107
Mind 105
Killer 52
Liquid`Ret 52
Hyun 45
Shinee 38
Mong 34
Trap 33
ToSsGirL 32
Bale 27
Terrorterran 26
sorry 22
Aegong 21
Rock 19
Hm[arnc] 18
Sexy 13
Sacsri 9
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8515
XaKoH 421
Counter-Strike
fl0m4194
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes567
Other Games
singsing2315
hiko931
B2W.Neo562
Mlord392
Lowko337
mouzStarbuck221
DeMusliM195
Hui .174
Livibee171
RotterdaM100
Trikslyr71
QueenE69
KnowMe56
Mew2King51
FrodaN43
ZerO(Twitch)15
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile1132
• Dystopia_ 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis4041
• Jankos2334
• TFBlade753
Other Games
• Shiphtur619
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 22m
Big Brain Bouts
18h 22m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 1h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 3h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 18h
Patches Events
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.