• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:42
CEST 03:42
KST 10:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9048 users

SC2 Icons for TeamLiquid? (eventually)

Forum Index > Website Feedback
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Railxp
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Hong Kong1313 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-17 09:03:45
April 17 2009 08:55 GMT
#1
Idea hit my head!

Just curious if there is anything in the works for new user icons with SC2 units. I for one would really like a baneling XD. After seeing battle report 2, i cant get over how adorable i find them. Or mayhap there will be a choice to choose between old icons and new icons? Would appreciate it if mods shed some info. =D!

Edit: Whoops i apologize for starting thread in the wrong section :x
~\(。◕‿‿◕。)/~,,,,,,,,>
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
April 17 2009 08:56 GMT
#2
What is wrong with the icons now? They get the point across, maybe color them but ya know...
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
April 17 2009 10:12 GMT
#3
I like the idea to change icons for new members to SC2 simply to distinguish the SC2 newcomers from the BW veterans.

Then again I don't like the idea because it will distinguish the SC2 newcomers from the BW veterans.

I am moderately undecided about this.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
p4NDemik
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States13896 Posts
April 17 2009 17:43 GMT
#4
All I know is I would like to hold on to my BW icon (whatever it may be when SC2 hits). Maybe there can be another toggle-able option as to which icons you would prefer? I like the idea of it being a choice for the user as to which game he identifies himself with more.
Moderator
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24801 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-17 17:50:43
April 17 2009 17:50 GMT
#5
My suggestion would be for tl to keep track of two post counts: one for since you joined, and another for since sc2 launched. You could choose an icon for any race from either game, but the level of the icon would correspond to the post count.

So for example, if sc2 came out now, and I made 1000 posts tomorrow, then I would be entitled to a bw icon for ~8696 posts or an sc2 icon for 1000 posts.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
p4NDemik
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States13896 Posts
April 17 2009 20:57 GMT
#6
yeah forget what I originally said, I like micronesia's idea
Moderator
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24801 Posts
April 17 2009 21:47 GMT
#7
Alternately you could freeze the bw icons at whatever postcounts we have when sc2 is released. This way people who made it to carrier/bc/etc are also distinguished from people who joined shortly before sc2 was released even if they post a lot.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
thunk
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States6233 Posts
April 18 2009 01:10 GMT
#8
I dunno if I'll ever want to give up my BW icon. If I'm forced to, SC2 better blow my mind away.
Every time Jung Myung Hoon builds a vulture, two probes die. || My post count was a palindrome and I was never posting again.
H
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
New Zealand6138 Posts
April 18 2009 02:17 GMT
#9
I'll never change from Goliath but micronesia's first idea is definitely good.
[iHs]HCO | のヮの | pachi & plexa ownz | RIP _
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
April 18 2009 03:34 GMT
#10
I like the ideas that micronesia is putting out.
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24801 Posts
April 18 2009 04:33 GMT
#11
That's not the only thing you like that I'm putting out.

BTW you didn't get a thread but happy BDAY Fontong.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
April 18 2009 07:52 GMT
#12
Hum must spam until i get an icon i like then is that the challenge.
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
GHOSTCLAW
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States17042 Posts
April 18 2009 07:53 GMT
#13
If you freeze the icons, I'll never reach carriers, even if I get the posts.
PhotographerLiquipedia. Drop me a pm if you've got questions/need help.
Highways
Profile Joined July 2005
Australia6122 Posts
April 18 2009 08:19 GMT
#14
On April 18 2009 06:47 micronesia wrote:
Alternately you could freeze the bw icons at whatever postcounts we have when sc2 is released. This way people who made it to carrier/bc/etc are also distinguished from people who joined shortly before sc2 was released even if they post a lot.


How bout it shows ur sc2 icon but if you put your mouse over it, the bw icon will show.
#1 Terran hater
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
April 18 2009 14:14 GMT
#15
I like micronesia's idea :3
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
April 18 2009 20:38 GMT
#16
this is a bw site though. we keep it how it is.
maybe just sc2 icons for the sc2 forum(s) sorta like how we have teams in the league forum.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24801 Posts
April 18 2009 20:47 GMT
#17
On April 19 2009 05:38 CharlieMurphy wrote:
this is a bw site though.
Why do you think it will always be a bw site?
we keep it how it is.
If you are right that this is only meant to be a bw site then ok, but I'm not so sure about that.
maybe just sc2 icons for the sc2 forum(s) sorta like how we have teams in the league forum.
I still feel you are making a big assumption.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
April 19 2009 00:32 GMT
#18
I gotta consider what icon I want! I probably want to bypass scout at least.

On April 18 2009 13:33 micronesia wrote:
That's not the only thing you like that I'm putting out.

BTW you didn't get a thread but happy BDAY Fontong.

thanks!
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
-_-
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States7081 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-20 03:46:47
April 20 2009 03:44 GMT
#19
On April 17 2009 19:12 zatic wrote:
I like the idea to change icons for new members to SC2 simply to distinguish the SC2 newcomers from the BW veterans.

Then again I don't like the idea because it will distinguish the SC2 newcomers from the BW veterans.

I am moderately undecided about this.


If you want the site to move forward, you have to add SC2 icons. Imagine if you start playing WC3, go to a WC3 fansite, and the avatars are all units you don't recognize... because they're WC2 units. It just wouldn't make sense. Many, if not most, WC3 players never touched WC2. And that'll be the case with SC2.

Thus, you have to have SC2 avatars. I think the issue you're wrestling with, though, is whether to get rid of the old avatars and make them all SC2, or let the old guys keep their BW avatars.

1) Now, you know some people are attached to their avatars. Or at least interested in them. As evidenced by the many threads focusing on this issue. So, you're losing something by making everyone have SC2 avatars.

To summarize, if you change all the avatars, you'll lose something which is important to some members. Con for all SC2 avatars

2) What do you gain? I think you hit it on the head in your post. People ostracize newbs, and different avatars would let you see someone is a noob. But... so does post count. And that's almost, if not as, obvious as the little box to the left of your name. After all, because the avatars aren't unique, you tend not to even glance at them after awhile. There's no reason to. No funny visual joke. And it doesn't let you identify a person at a glance, because so many people have it. And actually, post-count is normal quick-look proxy for forum respect.

Plus, while a click away, you can find out the join date of a poster.

Finally, newb-bashing isn't a serious problem at tl.net. You have a bunch of moderators. There's enough of you, and you're dedicated enough, such that if TL.net is unfriendly to new guys, it's because of your moderation policies.

To summarize, what do you gain by having all SC2 avatars? I say nothing. on the pro side... no pro

What does 1 + 2 = + Show Spoiler +
3 lol
+ Show Spoiler +
seriously, should you have all sc2 avatars of bw too? All sc2 avatars? A big con and no rpo =s don't do that. Which means sc2 and bw avatars. have sc2 avatars but keep the bw ones for the old guys. This does not include the work it takes you guys



wow, for something i tried to organize, that turned into a rambling mess.
Racenilatr
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2756 Posts
April 20 2009 10:50 GMT
#20
On April 18 2009 06:47 micronesia wrote:
Alternately you could freeze the bw icons at whatever postcounts we have when sc2 is released. This way people who made it to carrier/bc/etc are also distinguished from people who joined shortly before sc2 was released even if they post a lot.

hell no I want to get a carrier before sc2 comes out
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 110
Nina 71
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12806
Rain 2219
Artosis 648
Dewaltoss 21
NaDa 19
Dota 2
monkeys_forever713
NeuroSwarm159
League of Legends
Doublelift4956
Counter-Strike
taco 463
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1617
ArmadaUGS404
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1271
WinterStarcraft459
Other Games
summit1g7793
Day[9].tv710
shahzam664
JimRising 597
C9.Mang0171
PiGStarcraft165
Maynarde157
ViBE155
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick943
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream117
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 118
• davetesta28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv710
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 18m
OSC
11h 18m
Stellar Fest
11h 18m
OSC
22h 18m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.