• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:20
CEST 00:20
KST 07:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5851 users

Image-Based Writing Contest

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-19 23:54:14
December 28 2008 23:55 GMT
#1
Voting Thread Here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=86362

RULES FOR WRITING PORTION

1. Entries are limited to 1200 words.
2. Send entries to me via pm before the deadline.
3. Deadline is tentatively set at January 17th at 12:00 KST. (If that is a problem, let me know.)
4. I hate to limit people in their artistic expression, but just please keep your audience in mind as far as content goes.



Current Deadline to turn in story = January 17th at 12:00 KST.
Revised Deadline to turn in story = January 19th at 12:00 KST.




TIME IS UP, NO MORE PICTURES WILL BE ACCEPTED!

Hey guys, choboPEon's third battle of the bands just entered the voting stage and (with his blessing, and some help from him too) I want to get us ready for our next creative expression contest, but this one is going to be a little bit different.

We have had Creative writing contests before, which were run by choboPEon, but this one has a twist, you are going to have a prompt.

To enter the contest, you send me an image in a pm, and then you, and that image, are entered into the contest. Then, when we are ready to start the writing portion of the contest, I will send out a single image to each participant (You will NOT get the image you submitted) and they will write a story/poem/whatever they feel like with that image as their prompt. Now, you don't have to adhere to it very strictly. For instance, if your image reminds you of something that happened in your life that you think would make a good story, go ahead and write it. Just please don't ignore the image and write whatever you feel like.

From now until JANUARY 5TH at 9:00 KST, (1 week from right now) I will be accepting pm's containing a single image (link to where it is uploaded, if you need help uploading pm me or ask in the thread and I/we will tell you what to do). Then, I will pm each participant an image chosen randomly from the pool, and they will have a [measurement of time...haven't figured this out yet] to write and submit. Then we will have voting, and then we will crown a winner.

DO NOT POST IMAGES IN THIS THREAD
(I want the images to be a surprize to the participants that are given them, so I would rather they didn't see them in the thread a week before the reveal.)

RULES (For the image submission portion.)

1. Submit an image ONLY if you are also going to write something for the contest, if you aren't planning on writing something, do NOT submit an image to me. I know I just said that twice, but DON'T FUCKING DO IT or I will fabricate a story about how gay you are and edit it into every post I have ever made.

2. Images must be SFW. (Safe For Work) This means that images should not contain Sex, Nudity, Blood/guts, Gross things, or Gratuitous amounts of violence. (Some violence is ok, just take it easy.)

3. Images should be reasonable. (If you send an image of a red dot, and that's it, I will chuckle to myself and then tell you to send me a different image.)

4. Images should be relatively obscure. By this, I mean that sending an image of a character from some anime/movie is essentially pidgeon-holeing whoever receives that picture into writing on that character, so just keep that kind of thing in mind while you choose the picture to submit.

If you send me an image that breaks the rules I will inform you to send me a different image.

This thread will be used, in part, to determine the length of the submissions, and how long should be given to write them.

The first creative writing contest had lengths of 1000 words and about 2 weeks for writing time.

If you guys are ok with that we can just keep it, but if you have a different Idea post it in the thread and we will discuss it.

Not sure if I explained everything well, so if you still have questions post them in the thread, and I will try to clarify. Or if you just want to tell me how awesome I am you can post that in the thread also, I don't mind.
Archaic
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States4024 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-29 00:39:22
December 29 2008 00:38 GMT
#2
Hahaha. Done =).
EDIT: Wait, nevermind. I'm not going to write anything.
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
December 29 2008 00:43 GMT
#3
Oh, and you can submit things either with your name or anonymously, in case people were wondering.
closed
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Vatican City State491 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-29 02:56:22
December 29 2008 02:56 GMT
#4
On December 29 2008 08:55 Lemonwalrus wrote:
RULES (For the image submission portion.)

2. Images must be SFW. (Safe For Work) This means that images should not contain Sex, Nudity, Blood/guts, Gross things, or Gratuitous amounts of violence. (Some violence is ok, just take it easy.)



What about Safe For Work Porn?
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
December 29 2008 06:33 GMT
#5
bump

this seems like a fun competition, maybe the money my parents spent on private school will come to fruition, 1000 words also seem sort of low, but i can live with it...

how will the entries be judged? it seems from the OP that everyone on TL will be shown all the entries and they vote, but if there are over 5 entries, voters will have to do a lot of reading
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11601 Posts
December 29 2008 06:41 GMT
#6
I'M IN YO!
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
December 29 2008 07:06 GMT
#7
I was thinking of upping the word limit to 1,500, but if people think it should stay at 1,000, or perhaps go up even more, let me know.

Also, as of right now, we will do the same voting system that the first writing contest did, but if you have any ideas I am open to suggestion.
Whyzguy
Profile Joined June 2008
Canada263 Posts
December 29 2008 07:12 GMT
#8
Too bad about rule 1. I'm not much of a writer, but could've found a picture.

I'm thinking of joining anyways heh.
"He who throws dirt, is losing ground." - Fortune Cookie [May 2011]
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
December 29 2008 07:16 GMT
#9
Well, anybody could find a picture, but I expect a good portion of the fun for the participants is going to be seeing what somebody else wrote given the picture that they themselves provided. Imo it would be unfair to allow non-participants to submit pictures.

Of course now I have to think of a way to keep people from submitting a picture and then just never submitting something they write. I think in that case I will just write something really crappy and submit it in their name to make them the laughing stock of tl, unless somebody has a better idea. (Although hopefully the situation doesn't come up.)
Whyzguy
Profile Joined June 2008
Canada263 Posts
December 29 2008 07:19 GMT
#10
hahahaha. No, that's a pretty good idea.

let me start look for a picture...
"He who throws dirt, is losing ground." - Fortune Cookie [May 2011]
Tensai176
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Canada2061 Posts
December 29 2008 08:14 GMT
#11
Sweet sent it in. RawrS
We see things they'll never see
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
December 29 2008 08:43 GMT
#12
Alright, here is a question, should I tell the person who submitted the image that they get?

I have been saving images as the name of the person that sent them in, but I could change them back if people want it to be more anonymous.
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
December 29 2008 08:47 GMT
#13
On December 29 2008 16:06 Lemonwalrus wrote:
I was thinking of upping the word limit to 1,500, but if people think it should stay at 1,000, or perhaps go up even more, let me know.

Also, as of right now, we will do the same voting system that the first writing contest did, but if you have any ideas I am open to suggestion.

i guess i should have looked at the old thread earlier, chobopeon gives a pretty old explanation:

On April 02 2008 02:33 choboPEon wrote:
Read 'em! Seriously. There was a 1,000 word limit for several reasons - one of which was to encourage you to read all of the entries!

so we should keep of the 1000 word limit for the sake of the voters...
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
December 30 2008 20:36 GMT
#14
>.>

<.<

Bump.
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-30 21:36:34
December 30 2008 21:32 GMT
#15
bah, I'm probably going to suck horribly at this...but it seems like awesome fun so I'm in

(yes, that means I will write something)

Edit: PM sent. I just needed to send a picture right?
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
January 02 2009 09:22 GMT
#16
3 days left!

Is it fair if I join?

And yes, falcynn, what you sent is fine.

So far every picture I have received is fine by the rules, just in case any of you were wondering.
Tensai176
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Canada2061 Posts
January 02 2009 10:05 GMT
#17
I don't see a strong case for being anonymous... For reasons I can't think of, they can just pm you or post in the thread about being anonymous. I'm fine with w/e. But I can't wait to get writing, you should shorten the time =(.
We see things they'll never see
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
January 02 2009 10:11 GMT
#18
I'm sorry tensai, but i already posted the time, it would start, so no take-backs.

If you need something to write in the meantime, go to the dictionary, open it to a random page, pick a word, then repeat. Put those two words into google image search and write a story about the first image you get as a result.
p4ge
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada160 Posts
January 03 2009 15:43 GMT
#19
yeah i cant wait to get started
Dalroti
Profile Joined October 2008
Canada70 Posts
January 04 2009 01:55 GMT
#20
good luck to all the people that have already done this. I dont have time for the writing stuff, and when ever I get my free time i need it for sc and hygene xD
My great grand father was a magic penguin
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 113
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 167
firebathero 91
Artosis 76
910 42
NaDa 25
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm102
monkeys_forever45
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0199
PPMD60
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9396
Liquid`Hasu1627
Trikslyr80
Other Games
summit1g7909
Liquid`RaSZi3887
shahzam563
JimRising 283
B2W.Neo185
Pyrionflax180
ArmadaUGS93
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream282
Other Games
BasetradeTV210
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 83
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 29
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1089
Other Games
• imaqtpie1166
• Shiphtur203
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 40m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 40m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.