• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:26
CEST 21:26
KST 04:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8724 users

[translation] Not Useless

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-04-23 13:32:53
April 21 2007 23:52 GMT
#1
This short story (fiction) was written by Voltex @ PGR21.com

==========================================================================

“You stupid child! What is this score!”
… November 16, a day that marked a turning point in someone else’s life...
“Everyone is doing so well, why are you the only one like this?”
would be a day that reminded me of my incompetence

…

It was a depressing day. I had scored lower than expected on the college entrance exams and thus my mood was, like my score, crawling on the floor.
‘What would happen if I just died?’
Come to think of it… there really won’t be much difference even if I disappeared.
Other siblings and relatives were securing high job positions so the family was not in any danger, and the troublemaker in the household would be terminated. That would be the end of it.
“So what do you want me to do…”
*thud* I mumbled to myself as I lay down on my bed. Right. I had always been like this. What others are doing, I can’t do. What others can’t do, I can’t either – I was a useless bum.

*Beep beep beep---*

I had forgotten to reset my alarm, and it went off at the same time as the day of the examination. So today is..
‘November 18. Already’
I feel like I’m forgetting something… what is it?
‘Ah, it’s the Star League finals. It’s going to be fun. But... only if it’s away from the eyes of the family.’
It's time to go to school now though. There's no way they’ll be doing stuff like checking attendance, but I don’t want to stay in this goddam house even 1 second more than I have to.

“You should at least eat!!!”
“There’s no need~ I’m going.”

Not wanting to see my parents face to face, I hurried off to school.
*sigh* Should I play basketball or soccer today..

“Hey you bum! You got kicked out of your house?”
“Yup. The third stall in Kwang-Joo Station's washroom is where I'll be living now.”
“Heh. You still want to get the last word every time.”
Upon meeting my good friend, my mood had immediately improved.
…

“Who do you think will win today?”
“Star League?”
“Yeah”
“Since it’s autumn… wouldn’t Oh XX win?
“Yea right! It's been how long since winter started? The Golden Mouse will definitely find its owner today”
“A Terran is confident that he can beat a Protoss at finals? Don’t be ridiculous.”
“You're clearly biased because you’re a fan. Didn’t you see Park OO getting owned?”
“Don't even put them in the same sentence. They’re on different levels”
“We’ll have to see about that”

…

“I’m home~”

Silence.

Nobody’s home. Oh, that’s right. Tonight was my big sister’s law examination celebration dinner.
At this point, I do not even feel upset at missing the dinner.
“Let's look at the bright side. I can watch the Star League finals without any interruption, so it turned out well”

…

“Welcome. Broadcasting from Che-ju Island. The Shinhan...”
It has started. The match was a series of amazing games from the very beginning.
After the 4th game, the score was tied at 2:2
“The fateful game, 5th game! Start!”
Terran’s BO is 1 fac 1 star, fake FD into 4 vulture drop. Defending against this is going to determine the result of the match.
“Ah, the Vultures have a lot of Probe kills. Furthermore, the Dropship was not destroyed so the harassment will continue.”
The situation was turning in favour of the Terran. The Protoss’ amazing micro prevented any heavy damages but small damages continued to accumulate.
“Ahh, is Protoss thinking of going Carriers? He’s building a Stargate”
Sensing that continuing on like this will lose him the match, he has made a slightly risky move to Carrier.
‘If that’s discovered, it’s over. Please... please... Terran, just go triple command...’

At that moment...
A dropped Vulture discovered the Stargate, and Terran immediately started to push out. He seemed sure that it was his victory.
“Ah~ it looks like Lee ㅁㅁ can feel the victory. He knows that if he pushes now, it cannot be stopped”
‘He lost’
Tanks pumping out of 1 Factory Add-on and vultures streaming out from 4 Factories
‘This can’t be stopped’

The Protoss’ main force is tied up in its main to defend against the harassment. Terran sets up right in front of Protoss’ base without much trouble.

“Oh! To add insult to injury, a Dropship is heading towards the Protoss main!”

Two Tanks are dropped. Peons had escaped immediately so there were no losses, but the Protoss army had hurriedly pushed forward; he must defend with the units that just came out of his Gateways.
“Ah! Citadel! Since there are no probes, he’s force attacking the Citadel!”
“Leg research is probably being done right now.. If that’s destroyed, the last speck of hope disappears”

*Boom- boom-*

The Dragoons that had just come out of the Gateways started their attack on the tanks…
“No!!”
“Citadel! Citadel! Ah… Citadel of Adun is destroyed. Zealot Leg research has been cancelled!”
“It's a foregone conclusion now...”

*Beep-*

I can’t watch this anymore.
I should sleep…
*thump* My eyes start to water inexplicably.
‘Ahhh... I prepared an entire year for that exam just to do horribly on it, and the player I’m cheering for goes through tough opponents just to lose at the finals. I guess it is not surprising that I’m feeling down.

Sleep doesn’t come.
*tick-tock tick-tock*
Only the sound of the clock is heard.
‘Haa… I suppose I should at least watch the end shouldn't I?’

*Beep-*

”Ah! the Protoss army has decimated Terran vultures and is pushing up!”
‘Whaaat?’
“Terran! Defends his choke with units that just came out.”
‘Right... an army around that size had set up right outside the Protoss main... What exactly... How did it…’
*Tatat*

I had heard it before. It was a familiar sound, one that I had not heard in a long time.

*Tatatat*

“This is… can it be?”

One of the few StarCraft units that is deemed useless. Slow, expensive, and less efficient than Corsairs when in large numbers, and had thus disappeared from the scene.

“Teleport Successful”

The Scout

“I’m Waiting Command”


Victory in sight, the Protoss army begins a merciless push.

“Ah... Leeㅁㅁ made the mistake of hurriedly pumping units without adding an armory in order to support the containment after expanding. If only he had brought some peons, he would have been able to last”

“Yes. There were 4 Tanks and the rest were Vultures, but the 2 Scouts killed all the Tanks and while the Vultures were retreating, they were ambushed by Dragoons. Because of the Scout, the Terran got pushed without being able to use Siege Mode. No matter what their numbers, Vultures do not stand a chance against Dragoons.”
“Hahaha this is the first time I've seen the Scout-Dragoon combination. Oh XX warped in the Scouts with the money from cancelling Leg Upgrade and Fleet Beacon”

“Is Leeㅁㅁ losing focus..? His micro has dropped significantly. And... GG!!”

Ha… Haha…

Protoss won in that situation? And the unit that led the come-back was... the useless Scout?

I’m… A guy like me is…

Even as the awards ceremony ended and the list of previous winners rolled, I could only stand there, staring into space, feeling something rising within me.


...

The sound of the door opening echoes in the house...

“We’re home...”

“Hi! Welcome home!”

“?”

My parents give me a confused stare, having noticed my energetic attitude. I decided that, no matter what my situation, I shouldn't break down by myself, self-contained. I am myself, and it is certain that, somewhere, there is something that only I can do.

Ah, the moon is bright tonight.

==========================================================================

Many thanks to haji for editing ^^
Please leave lots of nice comments for Voltex =)


Translation also posted at PGR and SC2.org.
Official Entusman #21
mikeymoo
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada7170 Posts
April 21 2007 23:58 GMT
#2
Haha, awesome story. What was this for? I mean, background of why this was written?
o_x | Ow. | 1003 ESPORTS dollars | If you have any questions about bans please PM Kennigit
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
April 22 2007 00:01 GMT
#3
On April 22 2007 08:58 mikeymoo wrote:
Haha, awesome story. What was this for? I mean, background of why this was written?

I believe it was just a short story with no particular reason. PGR is awesome like that ^^
Official Entusman #21
Purind
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Canada3562 Posts
April 22 2007 00:17 GMT
#4
Somehow I don't remember the scouts
Trucy Wright is hot
berated-
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States1134 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-04-22 00:32:50
April 22 2007 00:31 GMT
#5
Awesome translation.

It seems kind of unfortunate that the Korean culture is so hard on their kids, but I guess if nothing else is known then nothing else can be expected. Its really good though that this young lad was able to regain his self confidence and self worth. Hopefully this fictionally story will act as an inspiration to those who are struggling with their on family issues.

I give it two thumbs up
Seraphim
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States4467 Posts
April 22 2007 01:00 GMT
#6
Sweet and awesome story!

(God i really wish AnyTime would've really won that )
Hermes | Bisu[Shield] Fighting~!
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
April 22 2007 04:13 GMT
#7
can a mod add a [Translation] tag to the title? thanks ^^
Official Entusman #21
roadrunner_sc
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States1220 Posts
April 22 2007 04:28 GMT
#8
Well written but ....so so corny ><

God I can't imagine how he'll interpret mantoss vs sea on HH at this rate.

Average Posts Per Week: 13.37
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11602 Posts
April 22 2007 04:35 GMT
#9
at first i was thinking of NaDa vs Anytime.

it was 2-2 and the terran was pushing. but nada won that game
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
berated-
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States1134 Posts
April 22 2007 04:43 GMT
#10
On April 22 2007 13:35 CaucasianAsian wrote:
at first i was thinking of NaDa vs Anytime.

it was 2-2 and the terran was pushing. but nada won that game


Thats why its a fictional story
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
April 23 2007 13:13 GMT
#11


glad it turned out well~
Last Romantic
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States20667 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-04-23 13:18:32
April 23 2007 13:17 GMT
#12
insult of parkjungsuk? tsk tsk

edit: fun story though
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
sweatpants
Profile Joined April 2006
United States940 Posts
April 23 2007 14:09 GMT
#13
Charming
Perfect. Plays low-econ, high-econ, plays orthodox, plays funky, plays Mozart, plays Run-DMC. Micro, macro, strategy, management, fundamentals, and balls the size of Brazil. He plays Zerg the way the Xel Naga intended - like a ball of mercury. -HonestTea
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
April 23 2007 14:23 GMT
#14
Nice storing.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Last Romantic
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States20667 Posts
April 24 2007 01:34 GMT
#15
I don't remember

in the real game, was the citadel killed?
ㅋㄲㅈㅁ
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
April 24 2007 02:04 GMT
#16
It's nice what he did there (the original writer of the history).

He focused on two things, basic Korean culture and Starcraft culture. He, writing from a perspective of a Korean Teenager, boy, who loves starcraft, but also wants to do good in school, founds himself in a no "easy" situation. I really liked this one, keep them coming.

Thanks .
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
azndsh
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4447 Posts
April 24 2007 03:18 GMT
#17
someone write a Terran one for the OSL after that =P
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
April 24 2007 03:30 GMT
#18
On April 24 2007 12:18 azndsh wrote:
someone write a Terran one for the OSL after that =P


for shinhan 3? What unit would we revolve it around though :O
valk? nuke?
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
April 24 2007 05:27 GMT
#19
On April 24 2007 12:30 thedeadhaji wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2007 12:18 azndsh wrote:
someone write a Terran one for the OSL after that =P


for shinhan 3? What unit would we revolve it around though :O
valk? nuke?

Dropship!!!
oh, wait... I'm like 7 years too late >__<

The emperor is nice too all his subordinates. He leaves none behind.
Official Entusman #21
il0seonpurpose
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5638 Posts
April 24 2007 05:42 GMT
#20
Was that a real story because what a comeback...

Good story though
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 557
ProTech158
UpATreeSC 74
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17846
Calm 3443
Mini 433
Mind 81
910 67
soO 45
Trap 31
Dota 2
Gorgc6611
canceldota49
Counter-Strike
fl0m3462
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3464
Other Games
FrodaN911
Beastyqt548
Liquid`Hasu293
Khaldor241
Livibee197
C9.Mang0144
IndyStarCraft 118
ZombieGrub68
QueenE62
BRAT_OK 26
MindelVK7
[ Show 21 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 22
• blackmanpl 14
• FirePhoenix11
• Michael_bg 2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2858
• WagamamaTV321
League of Legends
• Nemesis1766
Other Games
• imaqtpie851
• Shiphtur774
• Scarra411
• tFFMrPink 11
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 34m
Big Brain Bouts
14h 34m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
21h 34m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 34m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
Patches Events
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.