• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:29
CEST 23:29
KST 06:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7997 users

O’Reilly vs PS3 (& gaming)

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-23 09:43:09
November 23 2006 09:06 GMT
#1
I avoid watching him, but now he stepping in our turf..

I ignore marketing hypes, even though I am not completely immune to them, but what do I care if someone wants to buy something that gives them pleasure or makes them happy or game all day? Who am I to judge how another should spend his time so long as it is their time and bother no one?

He rants about how bad it is to play games, and then gives an example of people he believes are not wasting their time playing video games.. (see both bold)

The Idiot

[image loading]


copy/paste

Bill O’Reilly Slams PS3 Launch, Gamers, iPods, Digital Tech (not in that order)

Apparently sparked by the PlayStation 3 launch, conservative pundit Bill O’Reilly took off after video game culture and digital technology generally in yesterday’s Radio Factor.

The controversial talk show host, who advertises his program as a “no spin zone” offered the following spin on gamers and much of their favorite gear:

American society is changing for the worse because of the machines… In the past to flee the real world people usually chose drugs or alcohol… now you don’t have to do that, Now all you have to do is have enough money to buy a machine…

Basically what you have is a large portion of the population, mostly younger people under the age of 45, who don’t deal with reality - ever. So they don’t know what day it is; they don’t know temperature it is; they don’t know what their neighbor looks like. They don’t know anything… because they are constantly diverted by a machine. Now what this does is it takes a person away from reality because they’ve created their own reality…


Here comes the PS3 rant:

The newest thing is the PlayStation 3. Now this is a machine that allows you to play games in hi-def and all this other stuff… It’s the newest state of the art system from Sony…. It has a video game console, plays DVDs, connects you to the Internet, tells you how handsome you are. It’s six-hundred bucks. Now people lined up for hours to get this thing. Hours!

Next, O’Reilly recounts some of the various, well-publicized incidents that took place on PS3 lines around the country, before launching into:

The problem with this stuff is that some people can deal with it constructively… but other people get addicted to it, just like opium, just like drugs and alcohol… So this is a big, big problem. It’s going to change every single thing in this country.

At about this point, O’Reilly has Blois Olson of the National Institute on Media & the Family on as a guest. Olson talked about some issues regarding video game addiction, but was quite reasonable. As for O’Reilly? He thinks your video gaming may well doom you to a life of poverty:

The have-nots are growing. Why are they growing? Because the skill set that is necessary to earn a decent living is being deemphasized in a fantasy world of football games and shooting zombies and all that…. Now you have the “knows” and the “know-nots”, because if you spend all your youth being prisoners of machines….. you’re not going to know anything…. You’re gonna fail.

And, even though O’Reilly’s pay site offers a podcast, the pundit rather curiously disses the iPod and seems to equate video gaming with national collapse:

I don’t own an iPod. I would never wear an iPod… If this is your primary focus in life - the machines… it’s going to have a staggeringly negative effect, all of this, for America… did you ever talk to these computer geeks? I mean, can you carry on a conversation with them? …I really fear for the United States because, believe me, the jihadists? They’re not playing the video games. They’re killing real people over there.

____________________________________________________________________________

His Message
Don't play be games, be serious get some skills, be a jihadist?

LOL.. Mr. dinosaur is on his way to extinction if he keeps up this rhetoric.. its not like he himself does not spend his life in front a machines (Camera), and then glued to another.. (TV) Frigging hypocrite. I personally don't use consoles and I am a PC die hard gamer.. but this guy is finally getting on my nerves..

Sorry, just venting, live & let live I guess ~

oh yeah almost forgot, he don't like i-pods either..
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Wysp
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Canada2299 Posts
November 23 2006 09:11 GMT
#2
He's a complete moron. No reasonable member of the media/world respects him.

did I ever mention that I doubt he graduated high school?
an overdeveloped sense of self preservation
Myxomatosis
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States2392 Posts
November 23 2006 09:19 GMT
#3
O'Reilly is an idiot. Him and Limbaugh give conservatives everywhere a bad name.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-23 09:21:25
November 23 2006 09:20 GMT
#4
God, he is a bigot. I wish I could find the video of him and John Stewart.


http://www.videogamevoters.org/

Edit: Found it
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-23 09:21:19
November 23 2006 09:20 GMT
#5
... I'm not sure where to start...

okay, let's see. Farily often I lose track of what time of day it is, what day of the week it is, not because of video games, but because of my academic work and how messed up my sleep schedule gets as a result of all-nighters and lab-sessions. Going to sleep at 6am consistently = not healthy . Coming back from the lab at 3am at the earliest = not cool.

I did play a shit ton of console games from ages roughly 8~18, meaning I should be leading a life of poverty according to EL Factor. But my projected earnings, if I chose to work next year, would be somewhere upwards of $50k year, looking at statistics of past ELE major graduates from my school. That's doing better than a good chunk of society, whatever way you look at it.

Oh but wait, I'm going to graduate school so I WILL BE POOR next year. OH NOES Mr O'Reiley was correctorz.
EnDeR_
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
Spain2944 Posts
November 23 2006 09:22 GMT
#6
A comment from the page you quoted it from, pretty much sums it up:

gs2005 Says:

November 18th, 2006 at 11:53 am
This is just an, “I want to say something that will anger some people on a topical subject to boost my audience.”

He’s done this before with other things and will do it again. That’s how these people try to earn their living…
estás más desubicao q un croissant en un plato de nécoras
whatever
Profile Joined July 2005
Mexico693 Posts
November 23 2006 09:25 GMT
#7
He didnt make any good point, not even worth quoting or arguing. The guy must be losing raiting I think? scaring the few conservatives that watch him saying to them that games are bad etc, just another attention whore.
Time is always on my side
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-23 09:36:49
November 23 2006 09:32 GMT
#8
oh yeah.. thedeadhaji thank you very much for pointing that out.. I am the quintessential example of a gamer.. I been frigging gaming since PONG game out.. I have lived the history of video gaming in vivo from ground ZERO and played games on arcades, pet computers, apples, atari's etc.. you name it.. and not only do I lead a productive life and help a lot of people on a daily basis but I ain't doing too bad at all when it comes to money. This O'Relly.. maybe as a kid no one let him play in the play ground..
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
November 23 2006 09:35 GMT
#9
On November 23 2006 18:32 Physician wrote:
oh yeah.. thank you very much for pointing that out.. I am the quintessential example of a gamer.. I been frigging gaming since PONG game out.. I have lived the history of video gaming in vivo from ground ZERO and played games on arcades, pet computers, apples, atari's etc.. and I would like point out that, not only do I lead a productive life and help a lot of people on a daily basis, have a nice family.. I ain't doing to bad when it comes to money plus I never hurt anyone.. this O'Relly is a phuking idiot..


but you're missing NES!! NES!!~~~~~~~~~ JK ^^
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
November 23 2006 09:37 GMT
#10
On November 23 2006 18:22 EnDeR_ wrote:
A comment from the page you quoted it from, pretty much sums it up:

Show nested quote +
gs2005 Says:

November 18th, 2006 at 11:53 am
This is just an, “I want to say something that will anger some people on a topical subject to boost my audience.”

He’s done this before with other things and will do it again. That’s how these people try to earn their living…


no, O'Reilly doesn't do that
WhatisProtoss
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
Korea (South)2325 Posts
November 23 2006 09:40 GMT
#11
Who cares? You know it's true. Whoever thinks that video games are actually good and useful for you? It's just a thing to waste time and help when you're bored.
SweeTLemonS[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
11739 Posts
November 23 2006 09:48 GMT
#12
I think the whole thing is summed up nicely in: Bill O'Reily is an asshole. I wanted to email him, but I couldn't find the link on his page. I'd rather watch Scarborough.
I'm never gonna know you now \ But I'm gonna love you anyhow.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-23 09:51:58
November 23 2006 09:51 GMT
#13
http://www.billoreilly.com/pg/jsp/general/contact.jsp

Contact Bill O'Reilly
If you are a BillOReilly.com Premium Member and would like to send Bill a question or comment, use the Contact Bill O'Reilly Contact Bill O'Reilly form.

If you are not a BillOReilly.com Premium Member, you can send email to Bill at oreilly@foxnews.com.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-23 09:54:43
November 23 2006 09:53 GMT
#14
and I also forgot ~
Countries that game

How very "unproductive" of nations were there is a lot of gaming...
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
SweeTLemonS[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
11739 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-23 09:59:04
November 23 2006 09:56 GMT
#15
On November 23 2006 18:53 Physician wrote:
and I also forgot ~
Countries that game

How very "unproductive" of nations were there is a lot of gaming...


The 231 in that list all have some sort of gaming?

I don't think O'Reilly understands that video games are the second largest (I think they're second now) form of entertainment in this country, and a billion dollar industry yearly. Not to mention that he uses iPod services in his podcasts, and that his shows are shown on this "disruptive" technology. Why not go back to the way it used to be when there was no TV, and no radio? Heck, why not just make Bill O'Reilly supreme commander of the world?
I'm never gonna know you now \ But I'm gonna love you anyhow.
tonight
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States11130 Posts
November 23 2006 09:58 GMT
#16
So, apperently I have to get off this forum and go do a few lines of coke.
if I come without a thing, then I come with all I need @tonightsend
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
November 23 2006 09:59 GMT
#17
It seems to me like O'Reilly is trying to criticize the super-hardcore group of gamers that actually have no lives and don't do productive work (where studying obviously counts as productive). However, he falls into one of the biggest traps of modern society--trying to comment on something you know jack shit about. Thus, without any knowledge about the gaming base whatsoever, he launches into unreasonable generalizations and makes inflammatory suggestions. It's like the uproar over the dummied out sex scene in that GTA game--people couldn't wait to have their say on the issue even though their opinions were grounded in faulty understandings of how that scene could be accessed.

Haji, ELE = ELectrical Engineering? I swear electrical engineering graduates from the state college I go to (Clemson) average $50000+ starting salary, unless they lied to me in their presentation. I believe your figures are low, good sir. Don't you go to Princeton or something?

+ Show Spoiler +
The greatest irony here is how none of us have read/heard the full interview/article, and I for one haven't listened to O'Reilly in a year, so what do I know about his views?
PaeZ
Profile Joined April 2005
Mexico1627 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-23 10:14:45
November 23 2006 10:14 GMT
#18
he is just an ignorant fuck whinning about video games, next time we will watch him whinning about sex or girls or W/E fucking retard.

These are the kind of people that must be puked at and just ignore, who cares you fucking old meat.. go and die.. :p (towards Bill o'Reilly)
Wysp
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Canada2299 Posts
November 23 2006 10:14 GMT
#19



good this man is disgustingly ignorant. He must do it on purpose to make himself influential to people who respond to those who talk the loudest.
an overdeveloped sense of self preservation
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
November 23 2006 10:19 GMT
#20
On November 23 2006 18:40 WhatisProtoss wrote:
Who cares? You know it's true. Whoever thinks that video games are actually good and useful for you? It's just a thing to waste time and help when you're bored.


I mean sure, it doesnt help, but it doesnt "hurt" as badly as O'reiley claims either.
Does loitering in the mall after school help? =S

Even if I personally cut my gaming to zero hours, I probably couldnt add more hours to my work schedule without losing my sanity. I need a breather.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O112
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason132
BRAT_OK 59
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1027
ZZZero.O 112
Hyun 45
Bale 22
League of Legends
Doublelift4277
JimRising 522
Counter-Strike
Fnx 949
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5996
Other Games
summit1g9059
FrodaN2875
B2W.Neo602
KnowMe225
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1428
BasetradeTV276
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 30
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• blackmanpl 18
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1181
• Shiphtur185
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
1h 31m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 31m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
13h 31m
Monday Night Weeklies
18h 31m
Replay Cast
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 12h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 13h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.