• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:02
CEST 23:02
KST 06:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12772 users

From Casual to Competitive

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
shindigs
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States4795 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-21 09:12:07
October 21 2012 09:10 GMT
#1
So obviously there has been a lot of discussion and theorycraft on how to grow the SC2 audience in light of the upcoming expansion. SC2 can be an intimidating game as the core gameplay revolves around "competitive". However, looking back to my experience with Brood War, I made the transition from casual to competitive with the help of pseudo-competitive custom maps such as Fastest Map Ever and BGH.

Here was my journey:
UMS Custom Games -> Fastest Map Ever -> Big Game Hunters -> Standard Play/Maps

Along the way, each point in this transition had provided me with some sort of handicap, while still giving me a taste of what true competitive play was like. Eventually, I became curious and motivated enough to really explore standard play.

With this path, I was able to get familiar with the game in a low stakes and fun environment (UMS), got interested in playing standard and was able to jump right into combat without worrying about macro (Fastest), and began appreciating build orders and deeper strategies (BGH), and finally went all in on the nitty-gritty of actual competitive play (Standard Maps).

StarCraft 2 has some decent micro/macro tutorials to get noobies into competitive play, and a practice league. But the practice league, IMO, is not the greatest way to capture casual players - it's just too slow on normal.

I'm not sure how popular Fastest Map Ever or BGH are in SC2, but if they are of similar popularity as they were in BW, having a matchmaking system or a newbie friendly ladder with these featured maps would really help maintain a casual audience (I know countless casual gamers who love BW but have only played Fastest and BGH). Maybe something for monobattles as well?

I'm curious as to how the rest of the SC2 community started playing competitively. How many of you jumped straight into ladder? How many of you started with UMS? Maybe monobattles or FFA? Perhaps some BGH or Fastest Map?

I really feel that these pseudo-competitive maps can make a great impact in retaining fans who are too intimidated by the ladder, but don't want to play Tower Defense all day. They key may be not the extreme casual fans, or the extreme competitive fan, but those who fall in the middle. All things in moderation, who knew?
Photographer@shindags || twitch.tv/shindigs
Sylfyre
Profile Joined January 2012
Australia222 Posts
October 21 2012 09:44 GMT
#2
Technically I'd say I started with playing brood war. I jumped right into 1v1, and realized, really, I was bad. So I stepped back, played some team games and eventually ended up with 500 wins in team games, so I tried 1v1 again and lo and behold, I was (relatively) good and was able to go up from where I got placed from my first five games (silver) to plat within a week. And I also skipped normal mode after entering one game, realizing the speed and banshee rushing =P
DangerAl
Profile Joined January 2012
Australia88 Posts
October 21 2012 14:58 GMT
#3
Yes I agree with you. I personally started 1v1 straight away with SC2, but back when I was younger playing Age of Empires and Age of Mythology it really was the custom games that kept me transfixed. I think this is the number one reason why it is such a shame that Blizzard's new custom maps system doesn't really work all that well. If Blizzard could perfect their custom maps system I think that would be more beneficial for maintaining the casual player base than pretty much anything else (certainly way more effective than some of the other things they've tried, like hiding number of losses and dumbing down certain aspects of standard play to make the game easier and more "casual-friendly").
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 21 2012 15:20 GMT
#4
I pretty much just started with ladder. I was tired of how boring WoW had become for me, and i watched some random beta videos on TB's channel, i bought sc2 and never looked back
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
namori
Profile Joined October 2012
Japan26 Posts
October 21 2012 15:24 GMT
#5
single player -> custom -> 1v1
ロボット妹
Melwach
Profile Joined January 2012
Germany176 Posts
October 21 2012 19:31 GMT
#6
Beta 1v1 -> Single Player -> Challenges -> 1v1

SC2 is the first strategy-game I'm playing a little more competitive. I played SC1, WC3 and Company of Heroes, but just casualy. Mostly for the campaigns.
I don't really like those "in between ladder/custom"-style maps like BGH etc. So it's just competitive or story mode for me basicly
Come for the culture. Stay for the cultural decline.
convention
Profile Joined October 2011
United States622 Posts
October 21 2012 19:39 GMT
#7
Single player of SC:BW -> teamgames in WC3 -> teamgames in SC2 -> 1v1 in SC2
Corsica
Profile Joined February 2011
Ukraine1854 Posts
October 21 2012 19:43 GMT
#8
customs in war3 (RPGs, tags, tds, etc) -------> joined clan in war3 ------>participate in clanwars ------> 1v1 ladder war3 -------> realizing how weak undead is retiring from game -------> watching moon switching to Night elves ------> more ladder ladder ladder ------> sc2 not bad watched a lot of bw and beta vods -------> started playing sc2 1v1
Ettick
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States2434 Posts
October 21 2012 19:47 GMT
#9
single player -> customs -> 1v1 -> customs lol
K3Nyy
Profile Joined February 2010
United States1961 Posts
October 21 2012 19:56 GMT
#10
I went from a few 1v1 games on battlenet to 1v1 on ICCUP to 1v1 on SC2.
inn5013orecl
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States227 Posts
October 22 2012 23:52 GMT
#11
well, at least with the addition of new staff to CSL this year, you aren't the lowest ranked admin anymore :D

single player -> bgh -> 2v2 wc3 -> 1v1 scbw
i live with a korean who doesnt play sc...wtf
KazYami
Profile Joined October 2012
United States5 Posts
October 23 2012 16:39 GMT
#12
1v1 ladder -> 2v2 ladder -> 1v1 ladder
sylverfyre
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8298 Posts
October 23 2012 17:32 GMT
#13
Single player SC1 -> Play vs. friends SC1 -> Money map hunters (precursor to BGH) SC1 -> Ladder SC1 (Pre-broodwar). God I'm old. And looking back, nobody had any idea what they were doing. I liked FFAs, loved doing reaver drops when shuttles could fire scarabs (cheesed so many games like that) and the game was horribly balanced.

BW Comes out, and I still enjoy the game, still play with friends over jury rigged LANs. (I was in a boarding high school at the time, and there were ~10 korean exchange students in my class - I was good enough to win sometimes, but none of us were anywhere near progamer material.)

Sadly I never discovered ICCUP or TL.net or other lasting communities, and playing by dialup got frustrating so I didn't really play much over the net anymore. After High School my friends and I went seperate ways, and without friends who could keep up with me in skill, I put down BW until SC2 was announced (and I discovered TL when looking around for BW & SC2 info, games to watch, build order ideas, etc. before SC2 was released.)
GDI
Profile Joined July 2011
United States69 Posts
October 23 2012 17:45 GMT
#14
SC2 campaign -> 4v4s and UMS such as phantom -> 2v2 -> 1v1

It took me a long time to really buckle down in 1v1 because of ladder anxiety.
Nerchio
Profile Joined October 2009
Poland2633 Posts
October 23 2012 17:48 GMT
#15
SC1 UMS -> SC1 Big game hunters/ PHANTOM -> a little bit of ladder 1v1 in SC1 but i had ladder fear -> dreamhack champion
Progamer"I am the best" - Nerchio , 2017.
Shartugal
Profile Joined September 2011
Denmark134 Posts
October 23 2012 17:49 GMT
#16
I never played SC:BW, I heard of SC2 through TB's channel (I used to play WoW)
I did one mission of the campaign, skipped the practice league because I found it boring that the game was so slow. Got placed in bronze and I've been working my way up ever since.
Hot_Bid:" What are your longterm plans?" Seiplo:"Money, fame and bitches"
DusTerr
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
2520 Posts
October 23 2012 18:00 GMT
#17
SC campaign > UMS > BW campaign > UMS > team games > SC2 campaign > team games > 1v1 ladder
msl
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany477 Posts
October 23 2012 18:12 GMT
#18
SC1 Campaign ->CivIII ->Civ IV -> Civ V -> SC2 Campaign -> 1v1 Lader -> X-Com
Support TONY best TONY
MostGroce
Profile Joined April 2011
United States104 Posts
October 23 2012 18:20 GMT
#19
Red alert 1/2 with bro 56k 1's -> sc1 BGH -> wc3 ums (dota mostly) -> Sc2 1's
R.I.P. Westwood
MostGroce
Profile Joined April 2011
United States104 Posts
October 23 2012 18:27 GMT
#20
On October 24 2012 02:48 Nerchio wrote:
SC1 UMS -> SC1 Big game hunters/ PHANTOM -> a little bit of ladder 1v1 in SC1 but i had ladder fear -> dreamhack champion

Hahaha awesome^
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O157
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18564
Calm 2044
Shuttle 328
White-Ra 223
Mini 178
ZZZero.O 168
firebathero 73
soO 12
Sacsri 6
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1548
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4511
Liquid`Hasu558
Other Games
summit1g8511
Liquid`RaSZi2194
FrodaN2117
fl0m1292
crisheroes281
IndyStarCraft 217
Pyrionflax210
Livibee190
ToD125
Mew2King49
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick995
BasetradeTV249
StarCraft 2
angryscii 25
EmSc Tv 17
EmSc2Tv 17
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 31
• musti20045 8
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki41
• blackmanpl 29
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1417
• Shiphtur665
• WagamamaTV350
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 58m
Replay Cast
1h 58m
OSC
14h 58m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 13h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.